Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Sooner than we'll ever see another non-Bethesda Fallout game. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
But I want it now :smith:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Upmarket Mango posted:

The Frontier is still moving along! Release date is 6-8 months away now! New trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COadLxnCWQc

Is that a loving space station at 2:15?

This already looks better than Fallout 76.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I don't know why, but seeing the LODs popping in during the landscape shots were really funny.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I don't know why, but seeing the LODs popping in during the landscape shots were really funny.

:sterv:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At least blizzards and snow are better ways to hide lod pop-in.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Say I had an item with effects that could potentially be modified in the same way by two different perks, and those two perks could stack for a third (base, either of the other two solo, both) effect.

For the base effect, I use hasperk <perkname> != AND for both perks, then the other applicable conditions required to make the base effect work in the first place with == AND on them.

For the version wherein both perk effects modify the base, I use hasperk <perkname> == AND on both of them, just like the other conditions.

Now, the annoying bit is what's in the middle, with only one perk in effect.

The harder yet simpler version that I could do would be to make two sets of effects, one for each perk, with mirrored perk conditions of == AND for one and != AND for the other.

The easier yet potentially more difficult version would be to use == OR for both of them, and the usual ANDs for the other non-perk factors.

Is the latter viable?

The reason I ask this is because...even just taking into account these perk-specific conditions, it will mean three to eleven different hand-input effects on each of dozens of different items, so it's a matter of hours upon hours of tedious extra effort I might be able to spare myself (on top of the several multiples more hours of said tedious work I won't be able to avoid).

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Anyone experienced stuttering/FPS lag spikes when using PN's visor overlays or NightVision? I disable ENB when I use the NV as it conflicts so I don't think it's an issue there. It's only when I enable the visor overlays, otherwise it runs 100% great (Thanks to the amazing OP).

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

The Frontier put out another new video. Apparently there's going to be a Legion campaign too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRoq6LM6pTw

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Hey, i've been reading up on mods and is Silver Peak Bunker any good? And if so, where can it be downloaded?

Bishopvi
Nov 12, 2003

And then he gives me a smile that just seems so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness that unexpected warmth rushes through me.
Forgive me if this has already been asked but I'm coming back to NV after a few years hiatus and want to run a few simple mods (primaily patches and some graphics stuff). Would Nexus mod manager work just fine for this or should I use the tried and true FOMM? I find myself partial to the general ease of NMM, but will run whatever works best. Thanks hivemind.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mod Organizer is your friend. It supercedes both nmm and fomm

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Bishopvi posted:

Forgive me if this has already been asked but I'm coming back to NV after a few years hiatus and want to run a few simple mods (primaily patches and some graphics stuff). Would Nexus mod manager work just fine for this or should I use the tried and true FOMM? I find myself partial to the general ease of NMM, but will run whatever works best. Thanks hivemind.

I want to do this, as well. What mods are you using?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mod Organizer is your friend. It supercedes both nmm and fomm

This. It's a bit more complex, but there are heaps of guides out there that show you how to link it with LOOT, bashers / mergers, etc.

I recently went through the whole thing for the first time and it was a fine process.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

This. It's a bit more complex, but there are heaps of guides out there that show you how to link it with LOOT, bashers / mergers, etc.

I recently went through the whole thing for the first time and it was a fine process.

honestly it's probably harder to get used to if you're used to installing mods the conventional way

Bishopvi
Nov 12, 2003

And then he gives me a smile that just seems so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness that unexpected warmth rushes through me.

Martian Manfucker posted:

I want to do this, as well. What mods are you using?

I was just going to look over the op (do I still need to worry about the anti-crashing mods?), see if Reddit had any suggestions, and go from there. I already made the mistake of looking at the Nexus most popular mods... *Shudder*. Oh, and I think I'll use the darnafied UI mod if that's still around.

What about you? Did you have any ideas what you were going to use?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Upmarket Mango posted:

The Frontier put out another new video. Apparently there's going to be a Legion campaign too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRoq6LM6pTw

Alright, this video and the previous one convinced me to do another run of FO:NV. Need to start working on a mod list, looking for content mods as much as anything else. I have a feeling this is going to be a deeeep rabbit hole to go down.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bishopvi posted:

I was just going to look over the op (do I still need to worry about the anti-crashing mods?), see if Reddit had any suggestions, and go from there. I already made the mistake of looking at the Nexus most popular mods... *Shudder*. Oh, and I think I'll use the darnafied UI mod if that's still around.

I think the anti-crash is actually hosed up in windows 10 and introduces more crashes, but I might be wrong

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That's Stutter Remover. Search the fnv Reddit for info on how to tweak NVSR to be more stable on 10.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bishopvi posted:

If you turn on safesearch the most popular mods feature on Nexus is actually kinda useful.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Think I'm gonna have to abandon my old playthrough, I came back to it and now all the bullet impact noises sound like they happen directly at my location no matter how far away the actual impact is

also there's a constant droning and I can hear heavy breathing all the time

e: it sounds like up-close super mutant breathing, but it continues even after I dismiss Lily and she teleports away

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Gyshall posted:

That's Stutter Remover. Search the fnv Reddit for info on how to tweak NVSR to be more stable on 10.

I actually turned Stutter Remover for this reason, but will have to look up the FNV Reddit thing to see what they say, thanks!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ThaumPenguin posted:

Think I'm gonna have to abandon my old playthrough, I came back to it and now all the bullet impact noises sound like they happen directly at my location no matter how far away the actual impact is

also there's a constant droning and I can hear heavy breathing all the time

e: it sounds like up-close super mutant breathing, but it continues even after I dismiss Lily and she teleports away

Turn off your microphone

Bishopvi
Nov 12, 2003

Skwirl posted:

If you turn on safesearch the most popular mods feature on Nexus is actually kinda useful.

Wonderful. Thanks for the help and direction everyone!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Turn off your microphone

very funny

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

So, I'm using Mod Organizer, but when I try to start the game through NVSE or any of the other executables the launcher doesn't recognize New Vegas as having been installed. It's kind of a weird issue, has anyone encountered this before?

e; nvm I guess I had to run it once through Steam just to convince it

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So is the Fear & Loathing mod guide still up to date or do I need anything else? I'm going to do a proper reinstall.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fuligin posted:

So, I'm using Mod Organizer, but when I try to start the game through NVSE or any of the other executables the launcher doesn't recognize New Vegas as having been installed. It's kind of a weird issue, has anyone encountered this before?

e; nvm I guess I had to run it once through Steam just to convince it

FYI: After any new install of New Vegas (or FO3, Skyrim, etc) you need to run the game's launcher at least once. You don need to boot the actual game, just having the launcher pop up is enough. That will write some stuff into Windows' registry, which will allow various tools like MO, xEdit, etc to detect New Vegas.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Raygereio posted:

FYI: After any new install of New Vegas (or FO3, Skyrim, etc) you need to run the game's launcher at least once. You don need to boot the actual game, just having the launcher pop up is enough. That will write some stuff into Windows' registry, which will allow various tools like MO, xEdit, etc to detect New Vegas.

it also generates the ini files iirc w/o which the game will crash on boot

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

So is the Fear & Loathing mod guide still up to date or do I need anything else? I'm going to do a proper reinstall.

It's been on "maintenance only" for about a year, so it's missing newer mods, like the recently released Weapon Mesh Improvement Mod from the head TTW dev, as well as the True 3D Sound for Headphones mod, which does what it says on the tin.

e: Corrected link

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 9, 2018

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

ThaumPenguin posted:

It's been on "maintenance only" for about a year, so it's missing newer mods, like the recently released Weapon Mesh Improvement Mod from the head TTW dev, as well as the True 3D Sound for Headphones mod, which does what it says on the tin.

the true 3d sounds link just goes back to the weapon meshes

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Is there a mod or unofficial patch or something that fixes the game sometimes being stuck forever on the loading screen when loading games?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

netcat posted:

Is there a mod or unofficial patch or something that fixes the game sometimes being stuck forever on the loading screen when loading games?
Not that I'm aware off. As far as I'm aware that is a random bug that sometimes pops up. If you get the infinite loading screen when loading a save from the main menu, the fix is usually to quickly start new game, skip the intro movie, etc, and load the save from the ingame menu.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Raygereio posted:

Not that I'm aware off. As far as I'm aware that is a random bug that sometimes pops up. If you get the infinite loading screen when loading a save from the main menu, the fix is usually to quickly start new game, skip the intro movie, etc, and load the save from the ingame menu.

Ok, thanks. Unfortunately it happens very often for me :(

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

drkeiscool posted:

the true 3d sounds link just goes back to the weapon meshes

Ah sorry, I've fixed it

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I recently did a deep dive into seeing how FNV modding is in tyool 2018 I've generally come to the same conclusions as Rika's guide to FNV modding

Basically everything recommended here is right and good imo, but unlike Fear and Loathing it doesn't walk you through any of the actual setup, so you might wanna refer back to that when you needed. I would otherwise consider fear and loathing pretty outdated and stuffed with a lot of useless junk.

Some things to keep in mind when modding FNV in 2018
  • Use Mod Organizer 2, Use LOOT to sort, use Wyre or Mator Smash to resolve conflicts (see Fear and Loathing)
  • Use 4GB Patcher, YUP, NVSE, JIP, UPP, NVAC, and NVSR. If you just want a vanilla FNV that isn't a buggy/crashy mess, then you can just stop there.
  • Don't use Project Nevada, use JESawyer Ultimate and supplement to your liking (see Rika's tab on replacing PR)
  • Don't use ENB/ENBoost. Most everything it helped performance wise is covered by other stuff, and it breaks Antialiasing. Don't run any of the ENB/Reshade based shaders either, it's not worth it.
  • Please god don't use body replacers (Roberts, Type3, etc). These are pretty much only an improvement if you want thing to get pervy. Otherwise, it isn't worth the conflicts and hassle, stick with clothing/armor mods compatible with the vanilla bodies.
  • It is worth getting Rika's recommended LOD mods and running xLODGen. It's involved, but does make a huge improvement to far off visuals.
  • Like ThaumPenguin said, that new True 3d Sound for Headphones mod is legit, use that. Also it's just a dll and some config files, ezpz.
  • Weapon Mesh Improvement Mod is also nice if you're going for a near-vanilla playthrough. If you want to use Weapon Mods eXpanded or EVE or basically any weapon texture mods, or animation replacers, you cannot use it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

NickPancakes posted:

I recently did a deep dive into seeing how FNV modding is in tyool 2018 I've generally come to the same conclusions as Rika's guide to FNV modding

Basically everything recommended here is right and good imo, but unlike Fear and Loathing it doesn't walk you through any of the actual setup, so you might wanna refer back to that when you needed. I would otherwise consider fear and loathing pretty outdated and stuffed with a lot of useless junk.

• Use Mod Organizer 2, Use LOOT to sort, use Wyre or Mator Smash to resolve conflicts (see Fear and Loathing)
  • Use 4GB Patcher, YUP, NVSE, JIP, UPP, NVAC, and NVSR. If you just want a vanilla FNV that isn't a buggy/crashy mess, then you can just stop there.
  • Don't use Project Nevada, use JESawyer Ultimate and supplement to your liking (see Rika's tab on replacing PR)
  • Don't use ENB/ENBoost. Most everything it helped performance wise is covered by other stuff, and it breaks Antialiasing. Don't run any of the ENB/Reshade based shaders either, it's not worth it.
  • Please god don't use body replacers (Roberts, Type3, etc). These are pretty much only an improvement if you want thing to get pervy. Otherwise, it isn't worth the conflicts and hassle, stick with clothing/armor mods compatible with the vanilla bodies.
  • It is worth getting Rika's recommended LOD mods and running xLODGen. It's involved, but does make a huge improvement to far off visuals.
  • Like ThaumPenguin said, that new True 3d Sound for Headphones mod is legit, use that. Also it's just a dll and some config files, ezpz.
  • Weapon Mesh Improvement Mod is also nice if you're going for a near-vanilla playthrough. If you want to use Weapon Mods eXpanded or EVE or basically any weapon texture mods, or animation replacers, you cannot use it.

Thank you for the advice, now to set some time aside and a music list to get this done.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

NickPancakes posted:

I've gotta say I can't see the part re: project nevada in Rika's modding guide, my word finder aren't even getting hits on either "Project" or "Nevada", or even "PN", don't really know what's going on with that

Also is it meant to be barely more than one page long? It stops at line 21 for me

EDIT: OH NEVERMIND I didn't see the tabs on the bottom, now I feel silly

E2: Apparently Increased Wasteland Spawns can cause savegame corruption, good to know

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 10, 2018

Zealot4223
Sep 3, 2014

netcat posted:

4G patch fixed unlimited load times. If you have it already installed then I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zealot4223
Sep 3, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

Would go with Fear and Loathing over Rika's guide. It's outdated, yes, but he has a good eye and a great setup. BTW, I installed NVCE (was recommended on rika's guide) a couple days ago and uininstalled it in 10 minutes. It literally changes nothing. Mods I like are 4GB patch, Anti Crash, Stutter Remover, YUP, JSawyer, etc. Even with all the latest and greatest mods though, this game isn't aging well. Hopefully Fallout 4 New Vegas will fix that. There's definitely some movement with modding as of late. Frontier. Fallout New California. Fallout 4 New Vegas and Brave New World. And maybe B42.

Zealot4223 fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 15, 2018