Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Dissapointed Owl posted:

What are the best Japanese detective movies?

Detective Conan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Franchescanado posted:

I used to count Zemeckis as one of my favorite directors until about 2004. I'm still a big fan of everything before Forrest Gump, but his post-Gump career is just like someone made a Kirkland Signature filmography.

I still like Cast Away

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I knew who Zemeckis was before this but I only just realized that the same person directed Death Becomes Her and Forrest Gump, and I'm still sort of processing that. Normally you don't see that kind of swing between fantastic and utter poo poo outside of horror directors.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I used to count Zemeckis as one of my favorite directors until about 2004. I'm still a big fan of everything before Forrest Gump, but his post-Gump career is just like someone made a Kirkland Signature filmography.

I’ll say this: for better or worse he has always been a fascinating director.

I actually really liked Flight and What Lies Beneath. I think it was when I recently saw What Lies Beneath for the first time that i was like “hey, I liked Flight, I wonder what Zemeckis is up to next” and saw the Marwencol thing on his IMDb and made a sound somewhere between a Tim Allen grunt and a Homer Simpson scream.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The biggest problem with Flight is that a pivotal scene set to Sympathy for the Devil was curb-stomped the very next year by Scorsese and loving Popeye music.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The guy I post sometimes, Captain Disillusion, really likes Zemeckis and at first I was kind of confused why he liked him quite as much as he does but I realize that CD is a Special Effects artist by trade and of course someone like that is going to like Zemeckis. I don't think there's any other director that seems to mostly make movies just to play with new special effects toys.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also while everything in the world is bad, the new Overwatch hero is a Hamster in a mechanical ball so I have at least have that to make me feel kind of not like poo poo for a few minutes.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

glam rock hamhock posted:

The guy I post sometimes, Captain Disillusion, really likes Zemeckis and at first I was kind of confused why he liked him quite as much as he does but I realize that CD is a Special Effects artist by trade and of course someone like that is going to like Zemeckis. I don't think there's any other director that seems to mostly make movies just to play with new special effects toys.

George Lucas

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Zemeckis made Who Framed Roger Rabbit. That alone earns him a spot in the hall of fame.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I would honestly argue that Chris Nolan does this a lot, too.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

James Cameron.

Also while everything in the world is bad, the new Overwatch hero is a Hamster in a mechanical ball so I have at least have that to make me feel kind of not like poo poo for a few minutes.

Hell yeah.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Clemens posted:

Zemeckis made Who Framed Roger Rabbit. That alone earns him a spot in the hall of fame.

It's the best Disney movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

James Cameron.

Yeah he's the main one, doesn't he even have patents on submersible cameras and stuff?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Hey folks! It's my birthday today so I thought I'd check in. I've gotten some messages from people wondering where I've been and the long and short of it is that I don't enjoy posting here anymore. There are still plenty of people here that I really like talking to, so please don't worry that this post might be directed at you specifically. Please feel free to add me at @HannahYoleau on Twitter or Yoleau#0119 on Discord, where I'll still be hanging around and looking to shoot the poo poo about dorky nonsense. I'd be especially moved and humbled if either of the best two posters in this thread, HUNDU and Hat Thoughts, hit me up such that we don't lose touch entirely

But yeah idk, as a parting message I'd just like to ask the thread as a whole to please self-reflect a little on why it might be that there's only ever been like two girls posting regularly in here at the same time. It's been real

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's the people who keep saying baps, isn't it.

PS: Happy birthday!!!!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Jenny you and I haven't talked much, but your positive vibes and insights helped make CineD the best subforum on this dumb dying forum. Peace love and good vibes to you and yours.

Also you share a birthday with one of my best friends. Happy birthday!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You're one of the best presences on this subforum and it'll be a shame to see you go, but I can't really blame you.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Jenny Angel posted:

Hey folks! It's my birthday today so I thought I'd check in. I've gotten some messages from people wondering where I've been and the long and short of it is that I don't enjoy posting here anymore. There are still plenty of people here that I really like talking to, so please don't worry that this post might be directed at you specifically. Please feel free to add me at @HannahYoleau on Twitter or Yoleau#0119 on Discord, where I'll still be hanging around and looking to shoot the poo poo about dorky nonsense. I'd be especially moved and humbled if either of the best two posters in this thread, HUNDU and Hat Thoughts, hit me up such that we don't lose touch entirely

But yeah idk, as a parting message I'd just like to ask the thread as a whole to please self-reflect a little on why it might be that there's only ever been like two girls posting regularly in here at the same time. It's been real
And another one bites the dust.

Really enjoyed your posting here (especially Columbo), but you do you.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

https://twitter.com/robtrench/status/1012144656161755137?s=21

That Blu-Ray cover’s some 90’s Blockbuster-rear end poo poo.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jenny Angel posted:

ah man. Well I can still follow you on twitter I guess.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Happy birth Jenny!
Edit: that was meant to say birthday but that too

Friends Are Evil posted:

https://twitter.com/robtrench/status/1012144656161755137?s=21

That Blu-Ray cover’s some 90’s Blockbuster-rear end poo poo.

Lmbo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That second one makes it look like a PS3 game. Also, holy poo poo Soldado is out today. I'm unreasonably excited to see that for some weird reason.

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

Janelle Monae and Robert Zemeckis just dropped the trailer for movie of the year.

https://twitter.com/JanelleMonae/status/1012129006433415168?s=17

Getting Zemeckis to direct a sequel to 'Sucker Punch' with a male lead living out his revenge fantasies through dolls is a weird direction to take.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

Happy Birthday! I will continue to see your twitter posts, but not tweet much because the twitter world scares me.

I've told ya before in PM, but I'll say it here this time. You had a major impact on the way I approach analyzing movies and for that I can never thank you enough,

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I would honestly argue that Chris Nolan does this a lot, too.

He was incredibly upfront about how the primary reason he shot part of The Dark Knight on IMAX was so he and Pfister could figure out efficient ways to deal with the cameras' bulk as well as all the sound they make, while still sticking to a schedule.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Jutsuka posted:

Getting Zemeckis to direct a sequel to 'Sucker Punch' with a male lead living out his revenge fantasies through dolls is a weird direction to take.

Must be Spielberg rubbing off on him.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

He was incredibly upfront about how the primary reason he shot part of The Dark Knight on IMAX was so he and Pfister could figure out efficient ways to deal with the cameras' bulk as well as all the sound they make, while still sticking to a schedule.

All the Interstellar stuff was genuinely fascinating. It's one thing to do straight rips of Michael Mann (another guy who really sits down and just does research before shooting a movie) but to do the Kubrick Process for space movie special effects is respectable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Also get well soon Timby.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Interstellar has its issues, but goddamn was it glorious in real IMAX. I'm pissed I was never able to get out to KoP to see Dunkirk.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Happy B-Day, Jenny.

I already follow you on Twitter but I will now unfollow you then follow you again immediately as a symbolic gesture of followingness.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A nurse just pulled my NG tube out.

If you can avoid it, never get an NG tube.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Timby posted:

A nurse just pulled my NG tube out.

If you can avoid it, never get an NG tube.

I had a catheter and NG tube pulled out at the same time. That was fun.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Voodoofly posted:

I had a catheter and NG tube pulled out at the same time. That was fun.

:stonk:

:barf:

:cry:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Man, if you think The Office is cringey, you should watch Peep Show. Scott’s Tots is medium-low Peep Show awkward.

My god. I’ll catch this soon.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Interstellar has its issues, but goddamn was it glorious in real IMAX. I'm pissed I was never able to get out to KoP to see Dunkirk.

And it wasn't just the size of the screen. That loud, overwhelming church organ at the end of "Stay" will be something that I will never forget. I just listened to that song again and my headphones just can't do it justice.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CelticPredator posted:

The stakes are lower in Peep Show, but the entire thing is filmed in first-person, so it has an extra oomph that makes everything worse.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

The Office rarely makes me cringe, and every episode of Peep Show makes me cringe and wince in pain.

The one where Mark pretends he's in college to attend a history class and meet a girl is horrific.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Mierenneuker posted:

And it wasn't just the size of the screen. That loud, overwhelming church organ at the end of "Stay" will be something that I will never forget. I just listened to that song again and my headphones just can't do it justice.

Good point. One of my front speakers died from my old Onkyo HTIAB so I replaced the fronts with some inexpensive Polk floorstanding units and they've been great. I'll have to fire up the movie and shake the house a little.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Franchescanado posted:

The one where Mark pretends he's in college to attend a history class and meet a girl is horrific.

Reading this spoiler made my whole body cringe, I tried rewatching Peep Show a few years back but I stopped halfway through that episode because it’s just so awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Reading this spoiler made my whole body cringe, I tried rewatching Peep Show a few years back but I stopped halfway through that episode because it’s just so awful.

The stakes may be higher in The Office, but Peep Show is so grounded that not only could it happen to someone, but it's probably happened to that socially awkward person you know and try to avoid.

Edit: I have several friends who refuse to watch it, and each of them have stopped halfway through an episode and said Never again.

• Locked thread