Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

haha holy poo poo

i was just thinking of how broken window management is now with the existence of loving web apps.

endlessly pressing alt-tab or alt-shift-tab to scroll through Safari tabs of Wikipedia, YOSPOS, some bullshit, Youtube--oh wait that some bullshit was Asana or Harvest or whatever I was looking for.

then repeat this a few more times to realize, oh the app I want is Paw, a native app which isn't in Safari, so cmd+tab or 3-finger swipe up to open it.

i don't know if Sets exacerbates this or helps it, but it seemed like a promising photocopy of what macOS did years ago. kind of a mix of universal tabs and multiple desktops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

just saw an irl billboard

“windows hello: you are the password”

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

just saw an irl billboard

“windows hello: you are the password”

Did you mean: "'You' is the password"?

also that's a terrible password

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

we are the world
we are the password
we are the voice who is our passport too
so validate us

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
sets is a really bad idea. a group of tabs should always be from the same app, and the tabbing feature should be default disabled per application unless either the app or the user enables tabbing for it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

Did you mean: "'You' is the password"?

also that's a terrible password

no, you the person are the password to your computer with windows hello facial recognition tech

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
kde did the "sets" thing years ago, and it worked perfectly, i think they just abandoned it because it wasnt very useful, i dont think it made it into plasma 5

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Fiedler posted:

sets is a really bad idea. a group of tabs should always be from the same app, and the tabbing feature should be default disabled per application unless either the app or the user enables tabbing for it.
default disabled is how we got in this mess in the first place

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hes right that all it should do is just give every app a tabbed interface and it should work just like chrome does where you can tear off a tab into a new window if you want

sets are something nobody except super nerds will use because who needs multiple desktops of multiple apps regularly? people doing the same spreadsheets every day in offices everywhere just want all apps in simple containers

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

jony neuemonic posted:

which is too bad, because sets really are a good idea. oh well.
it may be a good idea in theory but i absolutely do not trust microsoft to implement it well

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

“windows hello: you are the product”

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

thats a cute av

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

anthonypants posted:

it may be a good idea in theory but i absolutely do not trust microsoft to implement it well

:dice: except microsoft.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

anthonypants posted:

moreover if it requires any code to be written in order to adopt it, expect almost no apps to do so

i still see windows xp save dialogs all the time

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i guarantee office 2019 won't even support it

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Office and Visual Studio Code boycotting the Microsoft Store is still very lolworthy to me.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

PleasureKevin posted:

haha holy poo poo

i was just thinking of how broken window management is now with the existence of loving web apps.

endlessly pressing alt-tab or alt-shift-tab to scroll through Safari tabs of Wikipedia, YOSPOS, some bullshit, Youtube--oh wait that some bullshit was Asana or Harvest or whatever I was looking for.

then repeat this a few more times to realize, oh the app I want is Paw, a native app which isn't in Safari, so cmd+tab or 3-finger swipe up to open it.

i don't know if Sets exacerbates this or helps it, but it seemed like a promising photocopy of what macOS did years ago. kind of a mix of universal tabs and multiple desktops

put the windows on multiple desktops you mongrel

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

SupSuper posted:

default disabled is how we got in this mess in the first place

many apps don't need multiple instances, so a tabbed ui is useless for them. let the app developer enable the tabs feature if it makes sense, and let the user enable it for legacy apps.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Lambert posted:

Office and Visual Studio Code boycotting the Microsoft Store is still very lolworthy to me.

that's because VS is actually v good

don't know what the office group's reasoning is

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
VS is not VSCode. the former is good the latter is a trash heap

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
no, vs code is good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its funny that plangers think vscode is good.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
vscode is a slow text editor with auto complete features and poor development tool integration.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
sublime text is also good but what else you gonna use. notepad++? don't make me lomarf

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
ah yeah read that quick, VS owns, vs code is trash

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
for text editing notepad++ is pretty good.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shaggar posted:

for text editing notepad++ is pretty good.

whoa, how did this post get stuck for 15 years?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
what else would I use? electron based stuff is way too slow for text editing and also way too bad at programming.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol at good editing on windows

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Linux hasn't been able to even do a basic text editor yet so i'd be hella surprised if an IDE came out of it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

Linux hasn't been able to even do a basic text editor yet so i'd be hella surprised if an IDE came out of it.

ed is the basic editor

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Lysidas posted:

kde did the "sets" thing years ago, and it worked perfectly, i think they just abandoned it because it wasnt very useful, i dont think it made it into plasma 5

historically X applications didn't draw their own title bars, that was a function of the window manager and the window manager could do whatever the hell it wanted like stick multiple tab widgets in a window frame and map and unmap client windows at will

unfortunately, separating the application drawn window and the window manager drawn window frame introduces a race condition where resizing the frame happens asynchronously to the resizing of the contents and everything looks like poo poo so the modern thing is for apps to draw their own window frames

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

what else would I use? electron based stuff is way too slow for text editing and also way too bad at programming.

sublime text if your brain worms ward you off vscode

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
why would I pay for a text editor when notepad++ already does what I need?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I use TextMate but that's for The Good OS[X]

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

emacs

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
the "demo" is free forever it just nags after 30 days or osmething

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
i mean for sublime text emacs is always free forever (but bad)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I use TextMate but that's for The Good OS[X]

Yes, TextMate is p good though some of its keyboards shortcuts are the most inane lolmac incantations ever.