Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQwBAfJXz7Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A SEAL taught me to swim when I was a kid. A different one took me to my first arcade.

Occasionally they’d have a big blowout party when one of them was killed in a “training accident.”

They were cool and good and never talked to me about all the killing they did. But that was back when everyone was supposed to deny the existence of SEALs so maybe they were more low key in those days.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

A SEAL taught me to swim when I was a kid. A different one took me to my first arcade.

Occasionally they’d have a big blowout party when one of them was killed in a “training accident.”

They were cool and good and never talked to me about all the killing they did. But that was back when everyone was supposed to deny the existence of SEALs so maybe they were more low key in those days.

SEALs have changed a lot. After their existence was publicized and they started having video games and movies made about them, they started getting an undeserved reputation as the most badass soldiers in the world. It's not dissimilar from MARINES OO-RAH.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Imagine the bad luck to be a criminal and getting the one cop who can not only climb fences but vaults them with ease.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

chitoryu12 posted:

The military will canvass an area miles wide with helicopters and dozens or hundreds of soldiers endlessly just to find a single dropped pistol or pair of night vision goggles for fear of enemies or civilians getting them. Leaving behind gear except in absolute emergencies is frowned upon, to put it mildly.

The reason that chitoryu12 posted that is because that's literally what happened during the Afghanistan conflict. He left out the part where it cost four soldiers their lives.

The Slithery D posted:

Thanks for reminding me of this bit of epic stupidity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/world/middleeast/27iraq.html

Here's what happened. My battalion was being moved mid-tour from the area south of Kirkuk to Mosul. Blackhawks land at a COP to pick up some soldiers and move them to FOB Warrior for further onward movement. En route, one of the pilots or crew drops his loving M9 pistol outside the helicopter into the moondust at night. (Rumor said it was a pilot who hadn't secured it with his lanyard after taking a piss.)

My company, already living at FOB Warrior and pulling the QRF mission gets the dumbest loving assignment of all time. Go to the specified grid and look for the M9. At night. In a desert crisscrossed by irrigation canals. Care to guess how many seconds after dropping the pistol they though to grab a grid, and how fast they were moving? Yeah.

So one of my buddies and his platoon go out look for the thing for an hour, and head back.

So then some genius, and I would love to know if it was at my BN ops or the aviation BN/BDE, TASKS TWO loving KIOWAS TO GO LOOK FOR THE M9 FROM THE AIR, WITH THEIR OPTICS, AT NIGHT. I don't know how long they tried this asshattery, but at some point they crashed into each other. The same loving platoon from my company went back out, secured the aircraft and bodies, and waited for EOD to come take care of the hellfires and other fun stuff sitting near/in burning fuel and then the recovery vehicles.

I would have heard if they ever executed anyone over this, so I guess no one was sufficiently punished. The most infuriating thing about the Army is leaders who can't adapt TTPs to different situations or understand why we do things a certain way and why it's completely asinine in changed circumstances. Some dipshit decided he needed to do the closest thing to a hands across the desert he could for a missing sensitive item, and four men died.

A week later the insurgency found that M9 and that's why we have ISIS now.

(The above based on testimony of the QRF platoon leader and what he was told at the time. I suppose it's remotely possible some enemy action was actually responsible, but in any case it happened while they were circling on a fool's errand someone ordered them to perform.)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Memento posted:

The reason that chitoryu12 posted that is because that's literally what happened during the Afghanistan conflict. He left out the part where it cost four soldiers their lives.

I forgot it cost 4 soldiers their lives. In fact, I only half-remembered that it had also happened in Afghanistan instead of just back in the US at bases.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ffs, start an army thread or something.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

JoelJoel posted:

Grrr stop making posts not tailored to my preferences

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Here's a hockey player pulling his own tooth out so he can continue to play. Now let's spend 2 pages discussing the upcoming NHL/NHLPA CBA negotiations that will likely result in a lockout. Let's also review the merits and disadvantages of the offer-sheet system while critiquing executives' reluctance to use it despite the disparity between salary escalation and pick compensation.

Cocaine Bear has a new favorite as of 04:08 on Jun 28, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

JoelJoel posted:

Here's a hockey player pulling his own tooth out so he can continue to play. Now let's spend 2 pages discussing the upcoming NHL/NHLPA CBA negotiations that will likely result in a lockout. Let also review the merits and disadvantages of the offer-sheet system while critiquing executives' reluctance to use it despite the disparity between salary escalation and pick compensation.

The medic accidentally dropped the tooth under the bleachers. 4 men lost their lives trying to find it. :(

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I caused 4 men to lose their wivez :dong::smuggo:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/JOEL9ONE/status/1001295321119576064

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

JoelJoel posted:

Here's a hockey player pulling his own tooth out so he can continue to play. Now let's spend 2 pages discussing the upcoming NHL/NHLPA CBA negotiations that will likely result in a lockout. Let's also review the merits and disadvantages of the offer-sheet system while critiquing executives' reluctance to use it despite the disparity between salary escalation and pick compensation.

Andrew Shaw got hit in the face with a puck in game 6 of the Stanley Cup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGrtKnIAdWo

He went to the locker room, got stitched back up, and went back out there. They won the cup at the end of that game.

All hockey players (like all rugby players and most American football players) are loving insane and awesome.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lol

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Chris Long is awesome and was trolling. And a lot of people bit.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/dW26LNw.mp4

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Chris Long is awesome and was trolling. And a lot of people bit.

Yeah it owned, I do the same to a buddy of mine, like hey man, soccer players are doing 60-90 minutes a game, get gud

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

jesus

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

can't wait for Deadstick

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Look if you miss this month's Stanley Cup finals just wait for next month's

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jerry Cotton posted:

So... all that time Alf was a documentary?!? Talk about hiding in plain sight. Too bad the other branch of the government got hold of the alien despite being constantly protected by Vining :(

Thank you!

I've been trying to place who this guy reminded me of since the photo was posted and it was driving me quietly nuts.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

chitoryu12 posted:

Plane go down then up

If what I've heard about bush pilots is true, this was a walk in the park for him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Useless posted:

If what I've heard about bush pilots is true, this was a walk in the park for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_8NMODxSlM

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

The plane in this video is pretty badass in its own right also.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

The plane in this video is pretty badass in its own right also.

Those bush pilot planes are loving crazy things. In one competition video from Youtube (cant find it) one of those things basically landed to a standstill and another took off with less than 2 meters of rolling.

Obviously this needs ideal wind conditions but still, basically landing and takeoff, from a helicopter pad. With an airplane.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/epd9FK8.mp4

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Randaconda posted:

Dirtbike double backflip with a 360

I feel like the most dangerous part of this stunt was avoiding the tree at the bottom of the landing ramp

Edit: that's not to detract from the baddassness of the stunt at all, just ... c'mon dudes

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

GrandpaPants posted:

My knees are aching just looking at that.

Nordic hamstring curls are nuts, even getting to 45 degrees without putting your hands down is an accomplishment.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/G6dPqYv.gifv

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

It's the lack of self-awareness that really makes a predator.

If e'd been worried about external appearances *you look goofy dude* *wtf are you even* e would have slunk away. As it is, doing a part against the bubonic, and good on 'em.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

Those bush pilot planes are loving crazy things. In one competition video from Youtube (cant find it) one of those things basically landed to a standstill and another took off with less than 2 meters of rolling.

Obviously this needs ideal wind conditions but still, basically landing and takeoff, from a helicopter pad. With an airplane.

The Valdez STOL competition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvT5LMhvogw

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The reactions make thus one extra :discourse:

https://i.imgur.com/wr0aMN2.mp4

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
loving cyborgs, always making real people look bad!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I thought that was impressive for only having one leg...

... and then I realized he also only has one arm! :stare:

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Oh hey, they repurposed that zipline.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

At first I just thought it was just a scene from the new breakaway "Sort of Showing Some Skin and Mildly Uncomfortable", but then, wow, cool!

Actually, what's it from?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Otteration posted:

At first I just thought it was just a scene from the new breakaway "Sort of Showing Some Skin and Mildly Uncomfortable", but then, wow, cool!

Actually, what's it from?

They have obstacles like that in things like the Spartan Race or Tough Mudder.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"I'd give an arm and a leg to impress more women!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/yxqYibs.mp4