Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

grassy gnoll posted:

Would VGC 72.025, Foul Green work for you?

Thanks but this is too dark.

Groetgaffel posted:

Gauss Blaster green perhaps?

hmmmm I'll have to see it in real life but...

...do I dare give GM money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

Thanks but this is too dark.

hmmmm I'll have to see it in real life but...

I have a pot of it, I can try to photo it for you later

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Booley posted:

Ham shots

Booley, what technical info can you give me (f-stop, distance from model, zoom, etc)? I always have a hard time getting everything on my models in focus. When not taking a quick shot with my phone I mostly use a 28-75mm Tamron lens, f/5.6, and shoot about 2 feet from the model. I know I should probably back up some more, but I'm not sure how to catch all the details like your shots.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

You need to crank the f-stop up to f/11 or higher, ideally like f/15 or more if you can get enough light

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Fake James posted:

Booley, what technical info can you give me (f-stop, distance from model, zoom, etc)? I always have a hard time getting everything on my models in focus. When not taking a quick shot with my phone I mostly use a 28-75mm Tamron lens, f/5.6, and shoot about 2 feet from the model. I know I should probably back up some more, but I'm not sure how to catch all the details like your shots.

So on the camera shots I'm at 100mm on a fullframe sensor (you're likely on aps-c, so multiply your focal length by 1.5 for nikon/sony or 1.6 for canon), at f/16. Camera is usually 2-3 feet back. That'll typically get a full single infantry dude in. Any of my bigger models I'm focus stacking, so I shoot at f/8 or f/11

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

General Olloth posted:

I have a pot of it, I can try to photo it for you later

Yeah, sure. I would appreciate that.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Cat Face Joe posted:

Nah, Reaper MSP Surf Aqua is what you want. http://www.reapermini.com/Paints/corecolors

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

Yeah, sure. I would appreciate that.

There is the three closest GW colors I can see. I have literally all GW paints so just ask if there is another you want to see. Hopefully the reference color wheel in the photo helps you gauge close to in person.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Booley posted:

So on the camera shots I'm at 100mm on a fullframe sensor (you're likely on aps-c, so multiply your focal length by 1.5 for nikon/sony or 1.6 for canon), at f/16. Camera is usually 2-3 feet back. That'll typically get a full single infantry dude in. Any of my bigger models I'm focus stacking, so I shoot at f/8 or f/11

I'm using full frame (D600) so I can luckily copy your method straight on. Thank you!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

What distances do you expect for a cellphone? I have a Pixel2.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What distances do you expect for a cellphone? I have a Pixel2.

Uhh, whatever distance will let you get reasonable resolution on the model. I'd say I had it about 6" away maybe? You'll probably need to accept not getting everything in focus and having good resolution at the same time, play around until you find a happy middle.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Silhouette posted:

Nah, Reaper MSP Surf Aqua is what you want. http://www.reapermini.com/Paints/corecolors

I have that and its not very green. The gauss green seems more like what seafoam green is supposed to be.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Does anyone happen to know why none of the painting guides that GW have appear to ever want you to use their white base paint called Ceramite? Even the guides for painting pure white seem to start with a light grey and layer up in brightness with lighter and lighter greys. What’s the painting reason for starting with greys rather than a white?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

I have that and its not very green. The gauss green seems more like what seafoam green is supposed to be.

Pale lichen is another decent one on the greenier end

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Gunder posted:

Does anyone happen to know why none of the painting guides that GW have appear to ever want you to use their white base paint called Ceramite? Even the guides for painting pure white seem to start with a light grey and layer up in brightness with lighter and lighter greys. What’s the painting reason for starting with greys rather than a white?

Greys generally have better coverage than whites, so it's easier to lay down the basecoat.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Gunder posted:

In addition to grey having better coverage, you can't highlight pure white, so it often looks sharper when using an almost-white.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Texmo posted:

In addition to grey having better coverage, you can't highlight pure white, so it often looks sharper when using an almost-white.

Same reason why you would go for a German Grey over a pure black.

Work on Saga terrain going well, found a great Canoness model and a great starting miniature for a damned Elam, nothing really picworthy so here's an imperial knight, he's armed with two Powerful Swords

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Going with red instead of white on the cloak really did wonders.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yeah, the red looks so much better. Great job.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Hell yeah!

The red works great!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Dang, that seems to be the stuff. My first GW pot, wow. Thanks for your help.

Silhouette posted:

Too blue unfortunately.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Reaper's Spectral Glow or Copper Verdigris are more green. Or Vallejo's various flavors of verdigris for that matter, though some are more of a glaze (the bottle I have is still fairly paint-like).

darnon fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 28, 2018

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

Dang, that seems to be the stuff. My first GW pot, wow. Thanks for your help.

Glad I could help!

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
So i bought two citadel pots of gold paint a couple months ago, and do these things just go bad sometimes? Both of them, the pigment completely separates from the medium overnight, to the point where i think i'm getting tennis elbow trying to thrash them back into shape. On the gehenna gold, the coverage is bad, but at least i can layer it in five or six coats without losing too much detail (and this is regardless of under layer, it's the same on black, medium grey, or smurf blue). The Auric gold, if i so much as touch the brush to water to thin it, it turns into more of a glittery glaze than a paint; even straight from the pot it took three layers to get coverage on the highlights of a little skull, by which point it was just a lumpy gold ball.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

darnon posted:

Copper Verdigris

I like this and will probably get it as well.

General Olloth posted:

Glad I could help!

:madmax::respek::riker:

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ceebees posted:

So i bought two citadel pots of gold paint a couple months ago, and do these things just go bad sometimes? Both of them, the pigment completely separates from the medium overnight, to the point where i think i'm getting tennis elbow trying to thrash them back into shape. On the gehenna gold, the coverage is bad, but at least i can layer it in five or six coats without losing too much detail (and this is regardless of under layer, it's the same on black, medium grey, or smurf blue). The Auric gold, if i so much as touch the brush to water to thin it, it turns into more of a glittery glaze than a paint; even straight from the pot it took three layers to get coverage on the highlights of a little skull, by which point it was just a lumpy gold ball.

That's been my experience as well. The only citadel gold I've used that worked decently was the balthasar gold. I recently got a pot of vallejo liquid gold, and while it's kind of a pain to mix up and use, it goes on great and looks amazing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
June has been a very productive month.

And a family photo:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

SRM posted:

June has been a very productive month.

And a family photo:

drat dude, I think those are even higher than your already impressive standard. You really nailed that inner panel lining on the recessed blue parts.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Booyah- posted:

drat dude, I think those are even higher than your already impressive standard. You really nailed that inner panel lining on the recessed blue parts.

Thanks! I think I'm going to push the blue more on my next Knight since it's a lot easier to work with than the yellow.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

SRM posted:

Thanks! I think I'm going to push the blue more on my next Knight since it's a lot easier to work with than the yellow.

Are those GW paints for the blue? I'm curious what you used

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Booyah- posted:

Are those GW paints for the blue? I'm curious what you used

Army Painter Crystal Blue, Drakenhof Nightshade pin wash, then Lothern Blue and Fenrisian Grey for the highlights. Same scheme I use for my retro Ultras, which is how I knew it would look good with yellow:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Well, that was a sudden and terrifying flashback to 1996.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Gunder posted:

As others said, you can't highlight pure white, which ends up with models like this which are a bit poo poo and flat. If you did the bulk of that with Ulthuan or whatever and then highlighted pure white on the edges it'd look a lot better.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Also, pure white is a bugger to paint.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
My W&N 7 brushes are leaving me a bit unimpressed. They tend to hold a point for one or two strokes before splitting, then I'll either need to rinse and reform the tip or continue with a frayed brush.

I've ordered some W&N Brush Cleaner/Restorer to see if it fix up the problem, but is there a brand of synthetic brushes anyone recommends? I've only ever used my W&N brushes and want to try something other than sable for comparison's sake.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Weathering questions: when using hairspray/chipping medium, how do you stop additional chipping from happening unintentionally later on? Is the medium only "active" for a certain period of time or what? Secondly, let's say I'm painting a Death Company dreadnought, which fluff-wise is supposed to be a former Blood Angels (i.e. red) robot that has been painted black. What's the best way to achieve the effect of battle damage on the black armor exposing weathered red armor underneath? Could I do two rounds of chipping for that? I'm imagining it would be something like rust color paint-> chipping medium -> red paint -> chip the paint -> chipping medium -> black paint -> chip the paint again.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 28, 2018

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Don't use synthetic brushes. They are almost universally garbage. The tips will curl and fray, and you'll end up spending more money replacing them every few weeks/months than you would by just buying a decent natural-fiber brush.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
About the only thing I'd bother using synthetic brushes for is liquid putties. I'm not using my W&Ns on that poo poo.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

My W&N #1 is starting to show its age as well. I'm thinking of trying Raphael 8404 next just to see if there's a meaningful difference. Broken toad looks good but I can't find their #1 in the states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

You can get a pack of 10 beater synthetics for like 3 bucks anywhere paint brushes are sold which are pretty great for some purposes.