Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Epicurius posted:

Kevin McAleer drew the conclusion that Mensur was a coopting by the middle class of aristocratic and militaristic values and a way to gain acceptance by the ruling class. You may not have a von in front of your name, you may not be part of the military elite and your father might be a lawyer or businessman, but by participating in Mensur, you're saying that you accept the culture of weapons, you embrace a code of honor, that you're willing to take pain without flinching, and all that. McAleer probably takes it too far, throwing in Sonderweg theory and all that, but...

That's interesting. Dueling was much more popular among the newly-Protestant gentry in Ireland in the 18th c than it was in England. Could be something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Siivola posted:

I stumbled on an essay that pointed out Prussia had a huge reserve officers' corps at the time. I read Frevert's take on the matter about a year back and I faintly recall her arguing that dueling was a way for the reservists to gain some respect in the eyes of the aristocratic career officers. Then they'd have kids and pass on their manly ideal, and that's how dueling spread to universities.

Incidentally the Kaisers loving loved their officers dueling. To the point that Wilhelm II sacked a naval officer for fighting his duel after arriving in port instead of at sea, like a man.

What? I've never heard about naval officers dueling on ships.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
modern office duelling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShUbD82tmHw

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The History of Egypt guy had recommended a podcast about the history of Vikings which sounded neat.

However one of the more recent episodes on lore/mythology had a guest who started dropping Jordan Peterson references :yikes:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Academic dueling and bourbons dueling are certainly not functions of poverty.

Of course not, my point being that you don't really need a clueless warrior aristocracy for schools to fight.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

FAUXTON posted:

The History of Egypt guy had recommended a podcast about the history of Vikings which sounded neat.

May I recommend Saga Thing?

Two profs discuss the Icelandic sagas in a very engaging manner.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One thing that always stuck with me about German academic duelling is that dudes used to pry apart healing wounds and/or cram horsehair into the wound to make the scar bigger upon healing. Why horse hair specifically is good for making scars worse I dunno but it sounds like it probably hurts like a bitch.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tias posted:

My dad grew up in the sixties, and they spent free days and holidays fighting with the school the next street over, using clubs and knives... he was twelve. It's a function of poverty and frustration as well, I think.

Bashing other kids in the face with snowballs that have icicles inside. Not as dangerous, but hella easier to conceal from adults. :v:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

zoux posted:

but it sounds like it probably hurts like a bitch.

I imagine that's half the point, really. If there was a painless way of making your scars bigger the fellows who had the horsehair treatment would feel entitled to sneer at the pansies afraid of a little pain.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh yeah well I crammed stinging goddamn nettles in there because I am the Chad Teuton and you are the Virgin Frank

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There's an excellent description of a Mensur in 1898 by Jerome K Jerome in Three Men on the Bummel, one of the first comedic travelogue books, in chapter 13. He doesn't say exactly where it was, but he does explicitly rule out a couple of the more obvious candidates.

quote:

...In aristocratic Bonn, where style is considered, and in Heidelberg, where visitors from other nations are more common, the affair is perhaps more formal. I am told that there the contests take place in handsome rooms; that grey-haired doctors wait upon the wounded, and liveried servants upon the hungry, and that the affair is conducted throughout with a certain amount of picturesque ceremony. In the more essentially German Universities, where strangers are rare and not much encouraged, the simple essentials are the only things kept in view, and these are not of an inviting nature.

The room is bare and sordid; its walls splashed with mixed stains of beer, blood, and candle-grease; its ceiling, smoky; its floor, sawdust covered. A crowd of students, laughing, smoking, talking, some sitting on the floor, others perched upon chairs and benches form the framework.

In the centre, facing one another, stand the combatants, resembling Japanese warriors, as made familiar to us by the Japanese tea-tray. Quaint and rigid, with their goggle-covered eyes, their necks tied up in comforters, their bodies smothered in what looks like dirty bed quilts, their padded arms stretched straight above their heads, they might be a pair of ungainly clockwork figures. The seconds, also more or less padded—their heads and faces protected by huge leather-peaked caps,—drag them out into their proper position. One almost listens to hear the sound of the castors. The umpire takes his place, the word is given, and immediately there follow five rapid clashes of the long straight swords. There is no interest in watching the fight: there is no movement, no skill, no grace (I am speaking of my own impressions.) The strongest man wins; the man who, with his heavily-padded arm, always in an unnatural position, can hold his huge clumsy sword longest without growing too weak to be able either to guard or to strike.

The whole interest is centred in watching the wounds. They come always in one of two places—on the top of the head or the left side of the face. Sometimes a portion of hairy scalp or section of cheek flies up into the air, to be carefully preserved in an envelope by its proud possessor, or, strictly speaking, its proud former possessor, and shown round on convivial evenings; and from every wound, of course, flows a plentiful stream of blood. It splashes doctors, seconds, and spectators; it sprinkles ceiling and walls; it saturates the fighters, and makes pools for itself in the sawdust. At the end of each round the doctors rush up, and with hands already dripping with blood press together the gaping wounds, dabbing them with little balls of wet cotton wool, which an attendant carries ready on a plate. Naturally, the moment the men stand up again and commence work, the blood gushes out again, half blinding them, and rendering the ground beneath them slippery. Now and then you see a man’s teeth laid bare almost to the ear, so that for the rest of the duel he appears to be grinning at one half of the spectators, his other side, remaining serious; and sometimes a man’s nose gets slit, which gives to him as he fights a singularly supercilious air.

As the object of each student is to go away from the University bearing as many scars as possible, I doubt if any particular pains are taken to guard, even to the small extent such method of fighting can allow. The real victor is he who comes out with the greatest number of wounds; he who then, stitched and patched almost to unrecognition as a human being, can promenade for the next month, the envy of the German youth, the admiration of the German maiden. He who obtains only a few unimportant wounds retires sulky and disappointed.

But the actual fighting is only the beginning of the fun. The second act of the spectacle takes place in the dressing-room. The doctors are generally mere medical students—young fellows who, having taken their degree, are anxious for practice. Truth compels me to say that those with whom I came in contact were coarse-looking men who seemed rather to relish their work. Perhaps they are not to be blamed for this. It is part of the system that as much further punishment as possible must be inflicted by the doctor, and the ideal medical man might hardly care for such job. How the student bears the dressing of his wounds is as important as how he receives them. Every operation has to be performed as brutally as may be, and his companions carefully watch him during the process to see that he goes through it with an appearance of peace and enjoyment. A clean-cut wound that gapes wide is most desired by all parties. On purpose it is sewn up clumsily, with the hope that by this means the scar will last a lifetime. Such a wound, judiciously mauled and interfered with during the week afterwards, can generally be reckoned on to secure its fortunate possessor a wife with a dowry of five figures at the least.

These are the general bi-weekly Mensurs, of which the average student fights some dozen a year. There are others to which visitors are not admitted. When a student is considered to have disgraced himself by some slight involuntary movement of the head or body while fighting, then he can only regain his position by standing up to the best swordsman in his Korps. He demands and is accorded, not a contest, but a punishment. His opponent then proceeds to inflict as many and as bloody wounds as can be taken. The object of the victim is to show his comrades that he can stand still while his head is half sliced from his skull.

Whether anything can properly be said in favour of the German Mensur I am doubtful; but if so it concerns only the two combatants. Upon the spectators it can and does, I am convinced, exercise nothing but evil. I know myself sufficiently well to be sure I am not of an unusually bloodthirsty disposition. The effect it had upon me can only be the usual effect. At first, before the actual work commenced, my sensation was curiosity mingled with anxiety as to how the sight would trouble me, though some slight acquaintance with dissecting-rooms and operating tables left me less doubt on that point than I might otherwise have felt. As the blood began to flow, and nerves and muscles to be laid bare, I experienced a mingling of disgust and pity. But with the second duel, I must confess, my finer feelings began to disappear; and by the time the third was well upon its way, and the room heavy with the curious hot odour of blood, I began, as the American expression is, to see things red.

I wanted more.

He claims to be seriously morally offended by the whole thing and spends a lot of time intellectually justifying this judgement. As a Victorian of relatively humble origins who is desperate to think himself and be thought genteel, he knows he is expected to keep a stiff upper lip and not get too emotional or worked up about anything, much less a blood sport. To find himself enjoying this sort of thing could easily have been a shock to the core of his identity.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Cyrano4747 posted:

Fraggings also weren’t nearly as common as portrayed in popular culture.

Tias posted:

I haven't heard about fragging anywhere other than Matterhorn, and it seems to have been dramatized on purpose, so agreed.

Hope you don't mind me reviving this...

No, fragging wasn't as common as popular culture seems to think it was.

quote:

In addition to thousands of threats that were never carried out, there were confirmed reports of at least 800 fraggings or attempted fraggings in the Army and Marine Corps, with 86 men killed and an estimated 700 wounded.

Source, a HuffPo article.

But that doesn't mean it didn't have a huge impact on the culture of the military at the time.

Anecdote: My uncle was in Vietnam, with the 1st Cav in 1971-72. He's spoken about the fact that when it came to patrols they often just didn't patrol. They'd leave the base, walk about a 1/2 mile to a spot where the base couldn't see them - a spot they'd used before - and just sit for a few days. Then they'd walk back and make a (false) report about the patrol. Junior officers would go along with this because making the soldiers do something more dangerous - like make a real patrol - would result in threats of fragging. They'd wake up and find a grenade pin in their bunk, a clear message that they were to "back off" and stop endangering the troops.

Even if no one got fragged - no one died, and that probably doesn't even make the list of "attempted fraggings" - you can see what an effect that would have on a military unit and its effectiveness.

No, my anecdote isn't hard data, and I can't find numbers or surveys on the subject of the number of threats made. But I think it is reasonable to think that even though there weren't as many fraggings as popular culture portrays, it still had an impact.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 28, 2018

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

zoux posted:

One thing that always stuck with me about German academic duelling is that dudes used to pry apart healing wounds and/or cram horsehair into the wound to make the scar bigger upon healing. Why horse hair specifically is good for making scars worse I dunno but it sounds like it probably hurts like a bitch.

Considering that this is pre-antibiotics, intentionally keeping a wound open and shoving debris into it is wonderfully Darwinian lunacy. I wonder how many of these guys died from terrible infections. In the face. :psyduck:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Only those lacking the Will.

Watching a thing on "Top 10 Most Disastrous Campaigns" and Gettysburg is #2. The criteria is not only a military defeat but leading to a change in policy or behavior for the belligerents. For example, after Teutoborg forest, Romans halted expansion east of the Rhine. My question is: does Gettysburg belong that high on an all-time worst list? I know they lost but I didn't think they got blown out. Other campaigns on the list include Crassus vs the Parthians and the Spanish Armada. Obviously ranking things into Top Tens is subjective, but would Gettysburg make your personal top 10?

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 28, 2018

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

zoux posted:

Watching a thing on "Top 10 Most Disastrous Campaigns" and Gettysburg is #2. The criteria is not only a military defeat but leading to a change in policy or behavior for the belligerents. For example, after Teutoborg forest, Romans halted expansion east of the Rhine. My question is: does Gettysburg belong that high on an all-time worst list? I know they lost but I didn't think they got blown out. Other campaigns on the list include Crassus vs the Parthians and the Spanish Armada. Obviously ranking things into Top Tens is subjective, but would Gettysburg make your personal top 10?

Losing Vicksburg the next day is what really slammed the door shut on the Confederacy.
Gettysburg was a mistake sure but I don't know what changes if Lee doesn't invade the north. The armies fight somewhere else, maybe the south does better with home field advantage, but the big picture looks similar to me.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

zoux posted:

No, this is awfully US-centric.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

imo no. the campaign and battle were both kinda botched by lee so it was a fuckup for sure but as far as a turning point goes it was mostly public perception in making lee eat a solid unequivocal defeat. by mid 1863 the south had lost the war from a military perspective, the question was really if the north was going to get too tired of beating the south and call the war early or see it through to a total victory

the gettysburg campaign was a not totally great idea that ended poorly but it's probably on that top 10 list due to name recognition. compared to something like the push into north korea in the winter of 1950-51 it's not even close in the scale of bad decisions. and depending on how you categorize disaster i'd say hood's defense of atlanta was way worse if we stick to just bad outcomes of civil war campaigns

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fangz posted:

No, this is awfully US-centric.

The guy was Russian so :shrug:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Gettysburg ended major CSA offensive operations in the east, that's about it. So, in that sense it changed the policy of the ANV, but it didn't change a whole hell of a lot for the CSA in general. Atlanta was the thing that fundamentally changed the war from being possibly winnable to being a lost cause, but it didn't really change anyone's behavior all that much.

If picking a Civil War battle that really changed behavior of both sides it was Seven Days - the ANV completely reorganized itself afterwards, and the Army of the Potomac gave up trying to do anything other than charge straight down the middle for the rest of the war.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Personal top 10 is:

WWII eastern front
Napoleon in Russia
Persian invasion of Greece
Second Punic war
Taiping Rebellion
Khalkhin Gol
Japan's war against the US
WWI submarine warfare
Soviet occupation of Afghanistan
Invasion of Iraq (lol)

zoux posted:

I actually looked up his list:

1. Invasions of Russia by Napoleon, Hitler and Charles XII

lol

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

zoux posted:

Youtube search results in a Kings and Generals video, I assume it's that one.

Yup, guy has an accent, but it's not one I can place, are you sure he's Russian?

OK, let's check out their other videos. Wait... Wait... That other narrator on their latest videos, he sounds familiar, I've heard that voice before, sounds like the guy who did that ridiculously homoerotic Sigvald let's play of Total War: Warhammer that people talked about in the game thread about a year ago...

*checks related and "friend" channels*

Ahahahaha, OfficiallyDevin, yeah, that's the guy.

The internet is small, I guess. :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So where's he from

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

"The object of the victim is to show his comrades that he can stand still while his head is half sliced from his skull"

Jesus

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Agreed. I think Vicksburg literally the next day was the nail in the CSA coffin, but losing control of the Mississippi before that was more impactful. Gettysburg *could* have been a turning point on the international stage and domestically if the CSA had won a major victory, but regardless of the military outcome Lee was going to have to slip back across the Potomac afterwards.

It also could have been a legit turning point if Meade had used his fresh troops to aggressively press Lee during the retreat, he was running out of food and was already essentially out of ammo. But as it was, no, Gettysburg probably doesn't even belong in the top 10 US military turning points.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Agreed. I think Vicksburg literally the next day was the nail in the CSA coffin, but losing control of the Mississippi before that was more impactful. Gettysburg *could* have been a turning point on the international stage and domestically if the CSA had won a major victory, but regardless of the military outcome Lee was going to have to slip back across the Potomac afterwards.

It also could have been a legit turning point if Meade had used his fresh troops to aggressively press Lee during the retreat, he was running out of food and was already essentially out of ammo. But as it was, no, Gettysburg probably doesn't even belong in the top 10 US military turning points.

After New Orleans fell the entirety of the Trans-Mississippi was really pretty irrelevant to the outcome of the war. Losing the Mississippi didn't affect cotton shipments out of the west much at all (they were actually more successful running blockades out of Texas than they were anywhere else), and Missouri was really more of a gang war than any kind of proper military confrontation. The fulcrums of the war were the two big Confederate field armies, very little else that happened outside of those two formations had a major impact on the viability of the CSA, or on the north's interest in finishing the war off.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

MrMojok posted:

"The object of the victim is to show his comrades that he can stand still while his head is half sliced from his skull"

Jesus

I think there's an element of Victorian hyperbole.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Continuing my series of questions raised by me watching youtubes: I watched a blow-by-blow of the Battle of the Coral Sea and also one for the Battle of Issus in 333BC and the level of detail made me wonder: how do we know so much about actual in-battle maneuvers? For more modern battles, how is the level of detail achieved? From the wiki on Coral Sea:

quote:

The Japanese attack began at 11:13 as the carriers, stationed 3,000 yd (2,700 m) apart, and their escorts opened fire with anti-aircraft guns. The four torpedo planes which attacked Yorktown all missed. The remaining torpedo planes successfully employed a pincer attack on Lexington, which had a much larger turning radius than Yorktown, and, at 11:20, hit her with two Type 91 torpedoes. The first torpedo buckled the port aviation gasoline stowage tanks. Undetected, gasoline vapors spread into surrounding compartments. The second torpedo ruptured the port water main, reducing water pressure to the three forward firerooms and forcing the associated boilers to be shut down. The ship could still make 24 kn (28 mph; 44 km/h) with her remaining boilers. Four of the Japanese torpedo planes were shot down by anti-aircraft fire.[77]

The 33 Japanese dive bombers circled to attack from upwind, and thus did not begin their dives from 14,000 ft (4,300 m) until three to four minutes after the torpedo planes began their attacks. The 19 Shōkaku dive bombers, under Takahashi, lined up on Lexington while the remaining 14, directed by Tamotsu Ema, targeted Yorktown. Escorting Zeros shielded Takahashi's aircraft from four Lexington CAP Wildcats which attempted to intervene, but two Wildcats circling above Yorktown were able to disrupt Ema's formation. Takahashi's bombers damaged Lexington with two bomb hits and several near misses, causing fires which were contained by 12:33. At 11:27, Yorktown was hit in the centre of her flight deck by a single 250 kg (550 lb), semi-armour-piercing bomb which penetrated four decks before exploding, causing severe structural damage to an aviation storage room and killing or seriously wounding 66 men. Up to 12 near misses damaged Yorktown's hull below the waterline. Two of the dive bombers were shot down by a CAP Wildcat during the attack.[78]

Is someone writing down the exact times for when things happen, are they going by their recollections, are these things actually recorded by instruments? When the Yorktown is hit at 11:27, is some bridge officer looking at his wrist watch?

For ancient battles, order of battle and disposition on the field I can understand, but who is recording field tactics? Who is noting that this particular unit led by this commander assaulted this element of the opposing force at this time, and so on? Broad strokes I get, but how accurate can these tactical recreations of 2000 year old battle be? How reliable can the sources be?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

zoux posted:

Is someone writing down the exact times for when things happen, are they going by their recollections, are these things actually recorded by instruments? When the Yorktown is hit at 11:27, is some bridge officer looking at his wrist watch?

Someone is writing this stuff down, yes. For example
https://text-message.blogs.archives.gov/2016/02/09/the-death-of-a-lady-the-uss-lexington-part-i-the-log/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well that explains that. Which officer or crewman is typically responsible for this during a battle?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

Continuing my series of questions raised by me watching youtubes: I watched a blow-by-blow of the Battle of the Coral Sea and also one for the Battle of Issus in 333BC and the level of detail made me wonder: how do we know so much about actual in-battle maneuvers? For more modern battles, how is the level of detail achieved? From the wiki on Coral Sea:

For ancient battles, order of battle and disposition on the field I can understand, but who is recording field tactics? Who is noting that this particular unit led by this commander assaulted this element of the opposing force at this time, and so on? Broad strokes I get, but how accurate can these tactical recreations of 2000 year old battle be? How reliable can the sources be?

Radio communication, after action reports, and investigations.

As for older battles, historians rely on their predecessors, using whatever source is most trusted, and trying to supplement it with additional documents/items found that may depict the battle or talk about it in some fashion.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

zoux posted:

Yes. Maybe not an officer, but a Yeoman. (Admin types who keep the ship's log.)

Edit: Googling "Navy Yeoman WW2" to try to find a picture led to this Osprey-style illustration of a Yeoman, who is apparently keeping a log of everything.

Everything.

1530: Ensign Smith observed inappropriately gawking at Lt. (j.g.) Jones.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 28, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

Edit: Googling "Navy Yeoman WW2" to try to find a picture led to this Osprey-style illustration of a Yeoman, who is apparently keeping a log of everything.

Everything.

:vince:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Fangz posted:

Personal top 10 is:

WWII eastern front
Napoleon in Russia
Persian invasion of Greece
Second Punic war
Taiping Rebellion
Khalkhin Gol
Japan's war against the US
WWI submarine warfare
Soviet occupation of Afghanistan
Invasion of Iraq (lol)

I actually looked up his list:

1. Invasions of Russia by Napoleon, Hitler and Charles XII

lol

AH deciding to go to the mat against Serbia (despite the broad acceptance of demands!) has to be high on the list considering it led to the destruction of the entire political entity.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I have to be honest, the concept of making top 10 lists about horrific events which cost thousands of lives in the same way someone else might rank their favourite movies strikes me as incredibly crass.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I dunno, I don't think it's in the top 10 of things people shouldn't make lists about

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Shattered Sword authors show off a bit of their methodology - if you know when a carrier was performing launch/recovery ops then you know when it was travelling into the wind at full speed.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

I have to be honest, the concept of making top 10 lists about horrific events which cost thousands millions of lives in the same way someone else might rank their favourite movies strikes me as incredibly crass.

You have be a little more ambitious to make it to the top ten.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Samuel Clemens posted:

I have to be honest, the concept of making top 10 lists about horrific events which cost thousands of lives in the same way someone else might rank their favourite movies strikes me as incredibly crass.

Yeah, you need to limit it to top 5 to make the cool ones pop

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cessna posted:

Everything.

Lol bless you sir

e: WW2 Life does a photo-essay on logistics: https://books.google.ca/books?id=KFAEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&pg=PA65#v=onepage&q&f=true

e2: "Laundry platoons" sounds like a Simpsons joke

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, you need to limit it to top 5 to make the cool ones pop

Top 20 is better, the more pages you get people to click the more ads you serve. 5 is almost worthless!