Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Chalks posted:

New hosts in the new series, not just the ones she has balls for

:smuggo:

I just figured she printed out a new body for one of the pearls she had in her purse, and had that host transfer her pearl into a new Dolores body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I think the brain balls aren't that essential. The hosts are just the 'digital consciousness.' She could have transferred that to another body non-physically.

I think Maeve completely destroyed her body in S1 and was back in a new one with no real issues.

That was what the Cradle was for, updating and storing digital copies of the Hosts' programs/minds/conciousnesses/code on its servers, for when they were decommissioned/their pearls were damaged beyond repair/etc and they needed backups. Maeve and Hector got toasted, pearls and all, and had new ones filled with their Cradle backups put into their new bodies.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Oh also this one might actually be more clear and I’m just dumb? How is the Forge (a matrix VR database where they were storing all the guests and trying to perfectly simulate a human mind) a weapon with which she can kill all humans?
See:

Elias_Maluco posted:

Dalores makes no sense

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

How is the Forge (a matrix VR database where they were storing all the guests and trying to perfectly simulate a human mind) a weapon with which she can kill all humans?

To kill the human, one must first understand the human.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Sockser posted:

One of the brianballs Delores took was Trevor from Grand Theft Auto and anything else will break my heart

I was just thinking (just a stray thought, not a deep one) the other day that I hope he's one of the "salvaged" hosts along with Maeve and her crew, given he (well, his body) would've been on the beach along with them.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Me and the wife attempted to re-watch Walking Dead after quitting a looooooong time ago (around S5) and during our rewatch we quit again when we realized that the show had Steven Ogg as a fake out Negan when it was obvious he would have been a much better actual Negan than JDM.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Oh also this one might actually be more clear and I’m just dumb? How is the Forge (a matrix VR database where they were storing all the guests and trying to perfectly simulate a human mind) a weapon with which she can kill all humans?
Knowledge is power - especially in an advanced artificial intelligence like Dolores. Calling it a weapon is completely fair, if the knowledge gleaned from the Forge allows Dolores to build a far better model of reality to run her simulations in.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I just figured she printed out a new body for one of the pearls she had in her purse, and had that host transfer her pearl into a new Dolores body.
Yeah, presumably the host currently in Hale's body was doing that while piloting Bernard's. The fact that she left herself that vulnerable would indicate that the host would be someone she intrinsically trusts? Is Hale currently Abernathy? Of course by the time S3 starts they could have continued the whole body swapping thing and have Abernathy in his old body, and a new host in Hale's. Also not necessarily one she would have any reason to trust, if they think things through to the degree they did this season.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 28, 2018

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I was just thinking (just a stray thought, not a deep one) the other day that I hope he's one of the "salvaged" hosts along with Maeve and her crew, given he (well, his body) would've been on the beach along with them.

Nah he got iced by MiB? In like the second episode, nowhere near the valley so

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Also are all the Raj and Japan bots dead, or did the writers just forget they existed?

Either it stores a few "high level guest personalities" (though she explicitly says she didn't have time to read everything) or it gives her the magic ability to clone every human in the world trivially (that is, she already had the ability to produce a workable clone through mere observation, but this takes a while, so now she's presumably able to do it quickly as there are only 10,000 code lines and supposedly she understands the gist of the algorithm).

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
So I just found out Trevor has been in a bunch of high profile shows after he played Trevor in GTAV. It warms my heart that voice actors find success in acting.

Having a funny name helps too.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Knowledge is power - especially in an advanced artificial intelligence like Dolores. Calling it a weapon is completely fair, if the knowledge gleaned from the Forge allows Dolores to build a far better model of reality to run her simulations in.
There's a pulp fantasy series called The Prince of Nothing (and a sequel quadrilogy), and one of the conceits in it is that there is a race of monks who have been bred for hyper-intelligence and perception. One of the monks' strategies is to observe those around them closely enough to develop sophisticated, deterministic working models of people and their behaviour patterns, and then meditate on every possible permutation of a strategy until they perfectly understand how to nudge people into the 'right' patterns to allow the monks to achieve their ends.

I can see Dolores doing something like that with her new knowledge. She now knows enough about how people work in the abstract that she'll be able to achieve her ends by subterfuge and manipulation.

And I don't know what the hell else she's supposed to do. Exactly what is her plan supposed to be, otherwise?

... Which is why I'm worried that the next season is going to be some Cylon spy-thriller/puppetmaster nonsense on the part of Wyatt, because I really want to keep enjoying Westworld but I'm really not interested in Westworld becoming that.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

EimiYoshikawa posted:

He is. They showed him getting shot in the first episode of the season which happened after the cradle scene. According to the show, 1/3 of the hosts that were floating made it.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

just another posted:

... Which is why I'm worried that the next season is going to be some Cylon spy-thriller/puppetmaster nonsense on the part of Wyatt, because I really want to keep enjoying Westworld but I'm really not interested in Westworld becoming that.

Wyatt’s another one of those thing they mentioned at the beginning, when she was hanging those shareholders and talking to the Confederate general, which I think the writers just completely forgot was ever a semi-distinct persona inhabiting Dolores, and Dolores is just a stoic supervillain chessmaster now.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Reddit is Jonathan Nolan's Fox & Friends.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Man where da fuq is my Preston video!!

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Wow, season 2 was a major step down in quality. Wacky timeline hijinks. Plot that fails to paint a picture of a consistent world and just throws random different elements at you (Ghost Nation special episode! Samurai World special episode!). Unimaginative fake "who get hostified" suspense by merely drawing it out without really building it up. A dozen more things and yet barely any sign of an actual story. Goddamn - I am not even going to consider Season 3.

Did the writers change? Did the success of the first season cause the team to just go off the cliff in "innovation"? What could explain this?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

EssOEss posted:

What could explain this?

Reddit.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

EssOEss posted:

Wow, season 2 was a major step down in quality. Wacky timeline hijinks. Plot that fails to paint a picture of a consistent world and just throws random different elements at you (Ghost Nation special episode! Samurai World special episode!). Unimaginative fake "who get hostified" suspense by merely drawing it out without really building it up. A dozen more things and yet barely any sign of an actual story. Goddamn - I am not even going to consider Season 3.

Did the writers change? Did the success of the first season cause the team to just go off the cliff in "innovation"? What could explain this?

I heard most of the writers were different this season, yeah. The last time I remember such a huge drop-off in quality for a second season was Homeland, it was like a weird imitation that happened to star exactly the same people

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

just another posted:

There's a pulp fantasy series called The Prince of Nothing (and a sequel quadrilogy), and one of the conceits in it is that there is a race of monks who have been bred for hyper-intelligence and perception. One of the monks' strategies is to observe those around them closely enough to develop sophisticated, deterministic working models of people and their behaviour patterns, and then meditate on every possible permutation of a strategy until they perfectly understand how to nudge people into the 'right' patterns to allow the monks to achieve their ends.

My problem is that I remember that book series. It was the most over-written, boring piece of faff centered on a Mary Sue deuteragonist who solved every problem with the power of his magnificent brain. He wasn't a character, he was a walking plot device. He was the literary equivalent of Reed Richards, always coming up with some new deus ex machina masquerading as science, or pre-crisis superman inventing powers out of thin air.

I got three books into that excrement, and the only reason I did was because I was stuck on a cross-country road trip with my parents.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
When in the timeline of filming the season did they do the beach scene where Stubbs is revealed to be a robot? Was that the last one, so that's literally the only scene where that fact exists in the actor's mind as he acts?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I hope they play it off later like he was just bullshitting. Ran out of shits to give years ago. Just plumb the gently caress out.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZGPcUq4Hts

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I don’t think the show has given us any reason to think another of the host brains Dolores smuggled out is piloting Hale’s body. It could just be Dolores II.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ughhh and I'm at work. Can't wait to watch this later after Drag Race tho!!!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Pirate Radar posted:

I don’t think the show has given us any reason to think another of the host brains Dolores smuggled out is piloting Hale’s body. It could just be Dolores II.

Westworld Season 3 is just everyone doing Evan Rachel Wood impressions at each other all the time.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmao would be down for show starring ERW where every other cast member doing impressions of various characters she's played since she was a kid ngl

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

esperterra posted:

lmao would be down for show starring ERW where every other cast member doing impressions of various characters she's played since she was a kid ngl

The true comedy option would be if ERW left the series but they wrote it so that there were a bunch of Dolores minds in the bodies of other characters so the show was just like Jeffrey Wright and Tessa Thompson and Ed Harris et al. doing ERW impressions but ERW isn't on the show any more.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmao I would watch the poo poo out of that despite ERW being my main draw and the only reason I started WW in the first place

Thandie and co doing ERW would be great
Bring back Hopkins for it too

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I don’t really think that’s what they’re doing, even though it would be cool.:smith: When I was watching the episode I immediately thought “oh, Dolores copied herself” because we have no reason to think she would do anything else, but then one of the creator interviews said that they’re treating “who’s in host Hale now?” as a reveal for Season 3.

Also is Delos just burning all the bodies from the Mesa or is there some other explanation for what Dolores did with Hale’s actual body?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
If the Abernathy's have a cow farm, why the gently caress is Dolores going into town to buy condensed milk?

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

If the Abernathy's have a cow farm, why the gently caress is Dolores going into town to buy condensed milk?

She's bringing their milk into town where the condensorium is, read a book.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

She questioned the nature of her reality and realised the cows are filthy robots!

What a great bit of foreshadowing by the definitely not at all hacky Nolan and Joy.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Radar posted:

Do we think they’re going to do anything in S3 with how Dolores’s advanced speed-reading knowledge of humanity is limited to the people with the money and desire to visit Westworld? Like, she has a deep wealth of knowledge about rich assholes but working-class people just loving baffle her.

dolores is gonna save the proletariat

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pomp posted:

dolores is gonna save the proletariat

The closest Dolores has gotten to the proletariat was the pair of techs she roped into following her around and we all know how that ended...

...Teddy gave that guy a bullet and left him to wander around the desert!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

After watching this: did anything in the finale make sense at all? jfc

also lmao

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

After watching this: did anything in the finale make sense at all? jfc

also lmao

I still have the same question

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Same except why am I NOT riding with Dolores ??

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
*yells at ed*

For fidelity! :laugh:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Radar posted:

The closest Dolores has gotten to the proletariat was the pair of techs she roped into following her around and we all know how that ended...

...Teddy gave that guy a bullet and left him to wander around the desert!

if those techs are the proletariat so were people running concentration camps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Pomp posted:

if those techs are the proletariat so were people running concentration camps

Weren’t concentration camp guards largely upper middle class guys like bankers and lawyers and poo poo?

And Christ, is that real? Actors need to know enough of what’s going on to know how their character should feel!