Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I've been doing a rewatch of Seinfeld and while it's still extremely funny to me, there is no doubt that the lifestyles these people live are clearly fictional and comically out of reach for the average same-aged people now... even the more personal ones. The lesson is: don't use TV as a metric of where you should be in your life because comedic situations often warrant plot contrivances

e: i guess personal should be personable

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Seinfeld never struck me as over the top for NYC as shows like Friends (which will always be the standard bearer). Like, Jerry was successful and his apartment was nice but nothing special. And George and Elaine were like successful professionals and they ate a random diner all the time. Kramer, who knows? But that was the gag. Plus they always felt on the other end of 30 to me compared to 20 something Friends.

But seriously, there's been inflated ideas of life in fiction since there's been fiction. There's always been people who blame vague poo poo for their inability to grow up and accept reality. Every kid thinks being an adult is staying up late, eating whatever you want, and not having to go to school. Some never adjust their expectations, whether they get them from tv, their parents, politics, or whatever.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was a funny throwaway line near the end of Friends where they thanked rent control for making the place affordable.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Friends lampshaded it early on by saying it was under Monica's grandma's name or something and they just had to make nice with the landlord. I suppose if you want to nitpick there's no way that guy wouldn't have kicked them out for a big payoff from the property owner, but they did at least address it.

I still don't know where all the non-white people were.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would never accuse Seinfeld of being "realistic" but yeah the stuff like where they lived and the diner were pretty believable. Elaine especially was certainly making decent money, because it was the big Book Boom of the 90s, before the Internet made books illegal.

edit: like remember around '95 when suddenly every town in America had a Books-a-Million or some other massive book store and they were somehow always full of people

edit2: i actually went to a Books-a-Million a year or two ago and it was a ghost town, and the coffee bar section was bigger than the book sections

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And George had some kind of office job at the Yankees that probably paid solid money. And Jerry was always presented as a successful mainstream comic. I actually vaguely remember them doing an episode where he buys his parents lavish gifts, tells everyone how much money he actually makes, and like Elaine gets suddenly attracted to him again its so much. So Kramer aside they all seemed like they were in a good place and not really living above their means the way the Friends were.

Of course the situations they got in were ridiculous, but that's sitcoms.

There's a book store a couple of blocks from me I like to stop in every now and then and its really a barren and sad place. It gets some writers in every few weekends I went there once to meet Darryl Strawberry (I've never recognized any other names). It actually seems very focused towards maternity and etsy type stay at home mother stuff for some reason. Lots of gift baskets and soaps and things. I guess its a local demographic thing.

But yeah, I remember a time we used to hang out at Barnes and Nobles and Waldenbooks. The 90s was weird.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sounds like a bookstore that isn't properly targeting its demographic. There's a bunch of independent bookstores in my neighborhood that are well-attended, and independent bookstores are actually on the rise. You just have to find your niche and cater to them.

And yeah, as a 31 year old living in NYC, Seinfeld is actually very relatable. I mean, if Kramer still had 4 roommates at that point in his life then it would be on point. Outside of the fact that they all live in different neighborhoods but still show up randomly at Jerry's unannounced. That's a bunch of bullshit.

But late-20s/early-30s is when young professionals actually get their poo poo together and have a decent amount of money in this city. And if you want to date a lot and are moderately attractive (or, in George's case, confident and outgoing) then you can absolutely date a lot. It's not like those people had hobbies.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 28, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Lets not forget that George was unemployed and forced to live with his parents for a while. I can relate to that one all too well.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I always assumed Chandler had some kind of good paying job and was carrying Joey for bro-type reasons but I was never a huge fan of Friends until being forced to watch it because my freshman college room mate was obsessed.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Chandler made good money at a job nobody knew or understood.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
He worked on the WENUS a lot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

esperterra posted:

Then he quit to become an advertising copywriter or something? I don't quite remember exactly.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Lets not forget that George was unemployed and forced to live with his parents for a while. I can relate to that one all too well.

Seinfeld, best comedy.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Chandler was middle management, dude was easily making more than any of the rest of them. Probably why he didn't quit the job for so many years.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Chandler was a “processor”, which he quit early on because he hates it but goes back as management for a raise/promotion. Pretty late in the series he realizes he still hates it and quits then becomes an advertising copywriter (after being unemployed and playing Ms Pac Man all day).

There’s an episode early on in which Joey, Rachel, and Phoebe confront Monica, Chandler, and Ross about the fact that the latter never consider how the former don’t have as much money. They get into a big fight, the rich kids go to see Hootie and the Blowfish, then Monica gets fired for taking kickbacks and magically everything is better.

Seinfeld is considerably more realistic, but it’s never really clear exactly how successful Jerry is. Like, he gets on the Late Show and Tonight Show, but he’s also opening for Bania. That’s pretty late in the series though, when stand up comedy isn’t what it used to be, what with Def Jam and all.

tk fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 28, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Broad Girls was the show that made me be like ‘holy poo poo that’s the NYC I’ve been to’.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Read this article a ways back about how realistic NYC TV apartments are that I found pretty interesting: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/18/realestate/fictional-new-york-city-apartments-get-real.html

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think being unrealistic is part of the charm for me. Shows like Parks and Recreation are supposed to be in Indiana but it's filmed in California somewhere. They constantly talk about how Pawnee is a dump of a city but every shot outside is incredibly sunny and beautiful and grass and trees everywhere. I think Seinfeld and Friends were also filmed in Los Angeles so it's probably impossible to make it look real.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mu Zeta posted:

They constantly talk about how Pawnee is a dump of a city but every shot outside is incredibly sunny and beautiful and grass and trees everywhere.

That's the half of the city the raccoons don't own.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I always find it amusing when shows are set in NYC but clearly filmed in LA. You can play "spot the palm tree."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I’m at the part where Joey and Rachel start figuring out they may have feelings for each other in a way that makes complete natural sense and would probably form a healthy and happy relationship except I know she ends up with the manipulative and possessive creepy rear end in a top hat who once owned a monkey

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I always find it amusing when shows are set in NYC but clearly filmed in LA. You can play "spot the palm tree."

ER was always smart, during its early seasons at least, about having scripts done far enough in advance that despite shooting like 98 percent of the year in LA, they were able to schedule a few weeks in Chicago each summer, winter and spring for authenticity.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1012381375045890048

The Halo web series with the girl from the Narnia movies was alright so I'll be cautiously optimistic

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Surprising no one, Ghosted is cancelled. I rather enjoyed it, but oh well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

The Halo web series with the girl from the Narnia movies was alright so I'll be cautiously optimistic

Yeah, I liked that a fair bit. I’m in, if this doesn’t end up in development hell.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

Forward Unto Dawn? I liked that too. Worth a chance I guess.

e: oh and it's on showtime? Cool, I always wanted to see Master Chief's tits.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hope they finally settle whether Master Chief is a virgin

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
forward onto dawn should have been a miniseries, they could have done 5-8 episodes with it I reckon with the kids and aged up characters.

Showtime getting back into scifi for the first time since Stargate SG1!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I’m a little sad but not much. These new episodes have mostly been an improvement, but still not enough to make me want a second season much.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So Harlan Ellison is going to write the new Star Trek TNG series. Man this day can't get any better!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Croatoan posted:

So Harlan Ellison is going to write the new Star Trek TNG series. Man this day can't get any better!

Uhhhhh

e: I think it's a joke, but even still

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

bull3964 posted:

Ah man. It wasn’t ‘must watch tv’, but it always gave me a few sensible chuckles with how Craig Robinson and Adam Scott played off each other. They had so much goofy chemistry.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Arist posted:

Uhhhhh

e: I think it's a joke, but even still

I guess technically it's true.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

early90swhiteguy.txt lmao

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRO2QfESbEI

No word on a US distributor yet.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

early90swhiteguy.txt lmao

HIMYM at least made it a joke eventually.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I really hope someone in NZ knows how to rip stuff right

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz4qyXjTbr0

DiMaggio is back. The lead is voiced by Abbi from Broad City

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Eric Andre is one of the leads it’s gonna be the best