Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Nirvikalpa posted:

Last year I went WWOFing and met a couple who had quit their high powered consulting jobs to do hippie poo poo while traveling the world. Now they need money to meet a scam artist guru who is associated with the book The Secret. Apparently he is also associated with MLMs.

They only need $19,000 guys.

Apparently the travel funds aren't that big of an issue. The event is $15k.

Despite having exclusive jobs, I'm not surprised they are falling for this. They spent a bunch of time with the farm owner about how humans must have evolved under the influence of aliens because the Sumerian tablets say so, guys.

You know I am sure that it is just a personality thing, but I cannot imagine having the nuts to sell all my possessions and live a bon vivant lifestyle of traveling the world, and then asking my friends and family for $19, 000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

You know I am sure that it is just a personality thing, but I cannot imagine having the nuts to sell all my possessions and live a bon vivant lifestyle of traveling the world, and then asking my friends and family for $19, 000

Here's her justification for begging

And you do get something for your money:

I don't think they are traveling in a really luxurious way. They did a lot of WWOFing, workaway, etc which kept their costs down. Just that the seminar costs a bunch of money.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
What in the world is a WWOF? No hits on google other than some Florida radio station.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

potatoducks posted:

What in the world is a WWOF? No hits on google other than some Florida radio station.

It's actually WWOOF. You can live on organic farms in exchange for your labor. I think it's a decent way to stay somewhere in a country for cheap.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

potatoducks posted:

WWOOFing is working on organic farms to pay your way as you travel. Literally a lovely way to travel.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

potatoducks posted:

Based on the rest of the stuff mentioned, I'm guessing WWOOF, World Wide Opportuities on Organic Farms. It's basically "working for room and board" with a crunchy granola shell.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
17 year old me ran into those sites over a decade ago, and even as an idiot dirt poor teenager I remember thinking that you'd have to be particularly stupid for it to even seem mildly attractive. Or priveleged and supremely sheltered to what "labor" on a farm entails

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

From a farming perspective they're essentially worthless too. It's just agritourism.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

KingSlime posted:

17 year old me ran into those sites over a decade ago, and even as an idiot dirt poor teenager I remember thinking that you'd have to be particularly stupid for it to even seem mildly attractive. Or priveleged and supremely sheltered to what "labor" on a farm entails

I had the same thoughts as an idiot teenager. I remember reading someone gushing about how they lived in Colombia and Ecuador for 6 months on farms.

Yes, the glamorous life of a farmer in Latin America, that's the life for me!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

tbh I think I might enjoy one of them. Farming is very cool. Other cultures are cool. But there's a big difference between a fake farm for tourists and a real one that just happens to let you work at it. I don't know how common either of those is.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

tbh I think I might enjoy one of them. Farming is very cool. Other cultures are cool. But there's a big difference between a fake farm for tourists and a real one that just happens to let you work at it. I don't know how common either of those is.

I had a good time at the farm. I think normally it is full of Americans but when I was there most of the were locals from South America who wanted to learn more about permaculture. I wanted to live in a kibbutz for the experience, but it was easier to go to this particular farm because I didn't want to deal with paperwork at the time. I think it was GWM because I think going there helped me get my life back around but YMMV. The work wasn't particularly hard either.

I think like a lot of travel experiences it depends on the person. I think I would have more fun going back there than traveling with my parents and constantly doing touristy things on a cruise ship.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I did a wwooff on a "real farm" which was pretty regrettable. Imagine if you were busting your rear end at a lovely job to provide for your family and a bunch of know-nothing vacationers roll up competing for your hours by wanting to work for free.

One of my friends works in a kitchen and is complaining how they're replacing paid jobs with "kitchen volunteers" and I'm like "that's dumb and illegal " but that's pretty much wwoof.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
It’s just migrant labor for privileged white kids.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Weatherman posted:

The subway system here was started well before the war, and although you're technically right in that a lot of it was built after the war, that's not the reason it's so extensive, and it's called a subway because it's underground, dude. Tunnels don't care whether it's ashes or arcologies up above.

Look elsewhere for "can't do it here" excuses :)

It's as extensive as it is because a large part of it was built at the same time as the rebuilding going on above it, which is a far cheaper way to do it, this is a stupid loving conversation to have in any thread and particularly this one.

Or maybe it is exactly on point for this thread because "Let's use Tokyo as an example of how to improve San Francisco's traffic problems" is BWM thinking in action. Different cities, different problems, different solutions needed.

By all means go start a "we need better subways in the Bay Area" protest group and have at it, we're just jerking each other off in here.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Just frame it as a technology that will disrupt the way we think of transportation forever. The Bay Area loves that poo poo.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Just frame it as a technology that will disrupt the way we think of transportation forever. The Bay Area loves that poo poo.

Hence their fascination with flying cars. Which, ironically, are being tested first in New Zealand, the UAE, etc. even though Brin (edit: Page) lives smack dab in the middle of Palo Alto.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 28, 2018

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Is there any place in the world you would want to vacation where regular farm wages don't at least pay for rent and food? Why would you voluntarily work for scrip?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is there any place in the world you would want to vacation where regular farm wages don't at least pay for rent and food? Why would you voluntarily work for scrip?

Privileged white people who've never worked a day of manual labor think farming is romantic and that they are supporting a "back to organic" movement

But it's actually really hard work and they are useless at it (myself included)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
What if you could instead travel to a different country, but choose not to work every day on a farm? Maybe you could compensate your host for food and shelter with money you earned doing your regular job that you brought along with you on the days you aren't working the farm. Maybe you could even go the entire trip without working, but instead it would be like a vacation and you spend money for food and shelter. Some of these hosts might even specialize in providing lodging.
This is a disruptive concept, you guys!!1

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Wasn't there a headline the other day that farmers are committing suicide at a truly astounding rate?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ixian posted:

Public transportation works in Tokyo because it has one of the best and most extensive subway systems in the world built after the war reduced the city to ashes not because population density forced everyone to drive less.

That model isn't going to work in San Francisco.

It works because uuuuhhh they built it good *throws up hands* it's impossible to replicate!!!!

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Vox Nihili posted:

It works because uuuuhhh they built it good *throws up hands* it's impossible to replicate!!!!

Please present your plan for solving the Bay Area's traffic problems using Tokyo as an inspiration.

In another thread that I won't read.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
do tokyo style zoning

"if it's commercial, you can also build residential there. only heavy industrial is exclusive. also, 50 story tall fuckin apartments yeah"

then use the bigger tax base to make public transportation

p. much it

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

So, wait for The Big One to hit, then take the opportunity to build subways? Sounds like a plan.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

BMan posted:

So, wait for The Big One to hit, then take the opportunity to build subways? Sounds like a plan.

Getting into a war with a country that firebombs entire cities before throwing up their hands and saying "you know, this would be so much easier if we only had to drop one bomb from one plane" also helps. Make the whole, "you know, it would work if this station were here and that building were there" planning process so much easier.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ixian posted:

Please present your plan for solving the Bay Area's traffic problems using Tokyo as an inspiration.

In another thread that I won't read.

OK here are 3 steps inspired by "Tokyo" or any other functional metro system really, with a bonus 4th

1) One integrated transit system rather than 25 lovely agency fiefdoms
2) Rail that rings the whole area rather than disappearing and reappearing at five different stops because Peninsula NIMBYs opted out
3) Build more density near transit, obviously
4) guillotine the nimby dipshits (who presumably think transit is only possible after a firebombing or something equally inane)

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Ixian posted:

Getting into a war with a country that firebombs entire cities before throwing up their hands and saying "you know, this would be so much easier if we only had to drop one bomb from one plane" also helps. Make the whole, "you know, it would work if this station were here and that building were there" planning process so much easier.

Yeah, but this is America. War? NIMBY

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Vox Nihili posted:

1) One integrated transit system rather than 25 lovely agency fiefdoms

I agree with your plan 100% but Tokyo doesn't actually have this at all. Iirc the central loop line is run by JR East, the semi-privatized descendant of the national rail network, and there are a number of other privately owned subway lines in addition to the municipal subway.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a lot of the zoning laws were actually not that old, many were given out after the crash of the insane land speculation bubble in the 90's, because the equivalent-nimbies shut the gently caress up for like 10 years

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Portland keeps changing its mind on whether to require 0, 0.5, 1, or 1.5 parking spaces per apartment unit because it can't decide which is true:

1. Build apartments with lots of parking to relieve the shortage of parking downtown
2. Build apartments with not enough parking to attract tenants without cars and relieve the shortage of parking downtown

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Mass Transit instead of horses the new BWM thread

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Knew a girl who didn't even like camping but decided she was going to do the WWOF thing and slowly make her way out to BC from the prairies. She spent a literal half-day on a beet farm before buying a one way bus ticket to Vancouver and getting back into graphic design.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is it that different from working on a kibbutz?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ixian posted:

Mass Transit instead of horses the new BWM thread

u mad

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Wasn't there a headline the other day that farmers are committing suicide at a truly astounding rate?

It's been like that for at least a decade now and accelerating.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like all suicide, and probably very much in line with the general middle aged white male demographic of farmers?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Magissima posted:

I agree with your plan 100% but Tokyo doesn't actually have this at all. Iirc the central loop line is run by JR East, the semi-privatized descendant of the national rail network, and there are a number of other privately owned subway lines in addition to the municipal subway.

Doesn't matter, everyone is still governed by the board of transportation, whatever it's called. Also they work together to set up through-runs and share rights of way.

Also also I can get on any train by tapping my card and then go pretty much anywhere in the entire region (and some other cities elsewhere, even) and tap out from the same card. poo poo works.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Inept posted:

Bought car on finance for 7 years at 15.6% PA

They are going to return the car at least.
15.6% !!!!!!

Nirvikalpa posted:

Apparently the travel funds aren't that big of an issue. The event is $15k.

Despite having exclusive jobs, I'm not surprised they are falling for this. They spent a bunch of time with the farm owner about how humans must have evolved under the influence of aliens because the Sumerian tablets say so, guys.
What are these fee?! They seem really high.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

From the article:

"The state is pressuring local governments to impose “inclusion rules” that would require some units in all new development be affordable."

They imposed this in my hometown (Portland, OR). From 2012 through 2016, we were seeing about 3,000 new apartment units go through the permit application process per year. As of February 2017, when the law went into effect, we've seen approximately 180 apartment units. Again, that's

2012 - 3,000 new apartment units
2013 - 3,000
2014 - 3,000
2015 - 3,000
2016 - 3,000
2017 - 180
2018 - 0

Builders go where they can build cheap and rent high. They're just going to other cities instead, so we're dealing with a huge shortage of housing and absolutely skyrocketing rents.
Are you sure about those numbers? Oregonian reported this, while saying there were issues with supply drying up for the reasons you're referring to. We will see this taper off soon (or already have).
code:
Year	Units
2010	622
2011	852
2012	1601
2013	2891
2014	4120
2015	3377
2016	4032
2017	6250

Haifisch posted:

Isn't half the problem in the Bay Area a combination of NIMBYs who don't want new construction near them(because they don't want apartments 'ruining their view' or letting less wealthy people live near them/they want to keep their property value high to sell later/etc) and Prop 13 seriously distorting their housing market?

I doubt much of anything will help until they fix either of those two factors.
The first reason you cite is a problem in PDX, too. Especially with the existing towers, its a little funny.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

SiGmA_X posted:

15.6% !!!!!!
What are these fee?! They seem really high.
Are you sure about those numbers? Oregonian reported this, while saying there were issues with supply drying up for the reasons you're referring to. We will see this taper off soon (or already have).
code:
Year	Units
2010	622
2011	852
2012	1601
2013	2891
2014	4120
2015	3377
2016	4032
2017	6250
The first reason you cite is a problem in PDX, too. Especially with the existing towers, its a little funny.

I am sure about 3,000 being a reasonable average for 1,601 to 4,032 yes, lol. I meant my chart as more of a visual aid than a claim that precisely 3,000 per year had been issued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BMan posted:

I was going to comment on the fact you can't build Tokyo sized buildings in earthquake prone San Fran and then I remembered, oh yeah. What is it with people flocking to live in death trap cities like SF and Tokyo.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's been going on since the 80's. There's a popular song by noted farmer and little ditty enthusiast and John Cougar Mellencamp about it. I guess you could point to the rise of huge factory farms as a cause, but really the only difference now is that farmers are killing themselves during the good times instead of just the bad times.