Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Xarbala posted:

See? Y'all get it.

3025 purists just

3039 was the optimal timeline for btech tech. If you believe it's any other timeline, then you are wrong and a bad person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
3070s sorryyyyy

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Gwaihir posted:

3070s sorryyyyy

Clans existed. Nope. :colbert:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

armchairyoda posted:

3039 was the optimal timeline for btech tech. If you believe it's any other timeline, then you are wrong and a bad person.

Pre-3039 can be fun if you trickle in occasional lostech stuff. As long as that sweet spot is found between So Much It's Practically Post Clan Invasion excess and Oh God I Lost a Small Pulse Laser, RELOAD! scarcity. Like enough to either sprinkle a bit here and there or have one tricked out mech that everyone else supports (And sacrifices themselves for)

Also the game could really use more higher-skilled pilots in the pool. Meat is cheap, mechs are expensive.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Taerkar posted:

Also the game could really use more higher-skilled pilots in the pool. Meat is cheap, mechs are expensive.

That's a new custom campaign toggle, though I still don't see that many of them when I look around.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

So I watched the gameplay from Mechwarrior 5 and it just looks like an HD texture mod for MW4: Mercs

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

S.J. posted:

So I watched the gameplay from Mechwarrior 5 and it just looks like an HD texture mod for MW4: Mercs

I am 100% okay with this.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

And Tyler Too! posted:

Yeah I just want a new mech game where I shoot mechs while the protag has some banter with their mercenary liaison.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

wtf you grognards are talking about with this "clan" and period stuff for us who want just better robot stomping, please

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

S.J. posted:

You could say the same thing about basically every game since crescent hawk's inception. The mechs haven't changed, they've just gotten prettier

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

And Tyler Too! posted:

I loved that game, but I was hoping for more tbh

e: Mostly I'm just salty that the version of MechWarrior from this trailer will probably never happen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CWr3ZUQJeo

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

ditty bout my clitty posted:

How do people build their cannon variant jagermechs?

This served me well in my current campaign:

Less alpha strike power than stock, but almost twice the armor and heat is a complete non-issue. I used it as a second-row sniper, mostly to knock down unstable mechs and blow up weak areas with called shots. Thanks to the TTS and range on the AC5 it can hit pretty much anything from everywhere (including lights with lots of evasion stacks), so JJs aren't really needed.

Not that exciting on its own, but a really good support 'mech both for LRM boats and frontliners.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah I just want a new mech game where I shoot mechs while the protag has some banter with their mercenary liaison.

It’s :pgi:, so don’t really count on it. From everything they’ve shown the game is going 100% procedurally generated with you as permanent 1 man lance.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

dead comedy forums posted:

wtf you grognards are talking about with this "clan" and period stuff for us who want just better robot stomping, please

So you know how SLDF technology (Gauss Rifles, Pulse Lasers, Double Heatsinks, etc.) is really good, rare as hell, and drat near impossible to replicate? In the Deep Periphery are the descendents of the guys who can make/improve that technology and they have a fuckload of it. They're the Clans, literal mechwarrior barbarians with the most advanced mechs/weapons ever built.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Back Hack posted:

It’s :pgi:, so don’t really count on it. From everything they’ve shown the game is going 100% procedurally generated with you as permanent 1 man lance.

That sounds like solid garbo.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

dead comedy forums posted:

The grogs are the people who consider anything written past tyool 1985 arch-heresy and will let you know it. They're the folks who will immediately revert any balance changes HBS makes to what existed then as God and Saint Reagan intended, and to hell with you and your "better" robot stomping you bunch of worthless millennial snowflake fun-havers.

(The balancing on lostech/clantech was legit poo poo, though.)

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs
Just had a 4.5 skull mission pop up. I figured I was in for a good fight so I brought my heaviest robits.

It was just 1 Victor and 1 spider. What the poo poo?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Back Hack posted:

Yeah, nothing I've seen has made me optimistic. But a man can hope.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

EduardoEspecial posted:

Just had a 4.5 skull mission pop up. I figured I was in for a good fight so I brought my heaviest robits.

It was just 1 Victor and 1 spider. What the poo poo?

Bad intel always goes against whichever direction you prepare for

5 skull mission? super heavy lance? Give me all that sweet sweet salvage! *mission consists of one devastator*

2 skull mission? little old ladies spotted pushing around handcarts with mounted machineguns? Best just give me the cash! *10 king crabs*

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs
Wait, is bad intel an actual mechanic in this game? I figured it was just a bug.

Edit: Or the rng having a laugh.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
There are too many drat mechs with AC/5s as a primary weapon. Ripping it out and using the 9 tons of weapon and ammo to improve armor or scale up other weapons tends to be a better deal in my opinion.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

fezball posted:

This served me well in my current campaign:

Why is all your ammo in the torso? :psyduck:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SuperiorColliculus posted:

Also why no jump jets? Life is worth nothing if your mechs aren't bouncing around like huge pogo sticks all over the place.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Fuzz posted:

That sounds like solid garbo.

On the upside, it's going to have 4 player Co-Op and full Steam Workshop for mods. So there's a decent chance you can wait, grab it on sale and someone would have made something of it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

It bugs me how much physical space there is in the slots so you rarely have issues with things like "there physically isn't room for this weapon system" the way you did in MW4

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ravenfood posted:

It bugs me how much physical space there is in the slots so you rarely have issues with things like "there physically isn't room for this weapon system" the way you did in MW4

MW4 has my favourite mechlab system overall. It was the right amount of customizable meets restrictive for me.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

For a mech that's usually standing a bit behind the frontline, I don't really see an issue with that - it's still one of the most armored areas, and it's easy to keep that side away from the enemy.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

MW4 has my favourite mechlab system overall. It was the right amount of customizable meets restrictive for me.

Hardpoints should have size restrictions, like they did in Mw4, but keep the one weapon per hardpoint restriction like they have in this game.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I just failed to do six damage to kill an srm carrier on Panzyr with 80 LRMs, 12 SRMs, a ppc, an AC20, and like six medium lasers. Twice.

They shot the Orion in the head again. :shepicide:

Arent you the guy who gets insane bugs in every game that no one else ever sees or even hears about?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ulmont posted:

Also why no jump jets? Life is worth nothing if your mechs aren't bouncing around like huge pogo sticks all over the place.

JJs are cool but they're not quite so essential now that the LL/ML balance is a bit better. Especially once you take into account the increased sprint speed passive.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
JJ are always essential to ensure that you always have the favorable position :colbert:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

RabidWeasel posted:

JJs are cool but they're not quite so essential now that the LL/ML balance is a bit better. Especially once you take into account the increased sprint speed passive.

One of the major benefits heavier mechs get with JJ is being able to have any facing on landing. It really helps you avoid getting flanked. That and Death From Above :black101:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Ravenfood posted:

add a few slots and cut the weight on TTS/arm/leg mod systems and space is almost more of a concern than tonnage

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ravenfood posted:

I mean, that's of course going to be the case when none of the gear that lets you trade space for weight reduction exists in this game, save the few double heatsinks you get. When you get in to light and X(X)L engines, endosteel structure, various advanced armors (Stealth, FF, Heavy FF, ferro-lammelor, hardened, etc), or other enhancements that take up slots everywhere like TSM or MASC, not to mention other optional gear, then yea space will get gobbled up quickly.

It's just a byproduct of the era this game is set in.

(And it's why 3025 is LAME)

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

fezball posted:

For a mech that's usually standing a bit behind the frontline, I don't really see an issue with that - it's still one of the most armored areas, and it's easy to keep that side away from the enemy.

I just.... why not split it between the legs or at least put it in the same location as the weapon it's for?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
A few other things from TT that would be fun to have:

-Clubbing mechs to death with their own blown off arms.

-pushing and charging enemies off cliffs.

-Being able to dump ammo for weapons that got destroyed to avoid unnecessary ammo explosions.

-Alternate ammo types like smoke LRMs, inferno SRMs, and Caseless autocannon rounds.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

That's a new custom campaign toggle, though I still don't see that many of them when I look around.

Yeah the game really really doesn't want you to be able to recruit 6/6/6/6 pilots or better.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I just.... why not split it between the legs or at least put it in the same location as the weapon it's for?

Legs are better, arms are worse. Arm is more likely to take hits, so putting ammo there is a good way to get the whole thing blown off on a bad roll instead of just one gun getting damaged. All in one place is also bad because if that torso goes you can't shoot the gun on the other side. Two in LL, one in RL IMO.

Also I'd swap the +++ AC to the other arm -- then you have nothing to worry about when you point the left side towards your enemy for damage absorption.

E: Having ammo be the only thing in a location is also fine as far as I understand the rules in this game. That was NOT the case in tabletop IIRC -- if you took a crit and rolled an empty slot you re-rolled until you hit something so just ammo and nothing else in a section was a disaster waiting to happen, but I believe crits that land on empty locations just get ignored here?

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 28, 2018

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Putting ammo in the legs would probably be optimal, but it just feels wrong to me so I usually try not to do that. And for a mech that usually gets shot at once or twice a mission, I just don't worry about crits all that much, especially when that side is turned away from the enemy most of the time. But if I do gently caress up the positioning, I want the ammo to be behind a more substantial amount of armor.

None of this applies to an actual brawler mech, of course, on those you definitely want to keep the ammo away from the torso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

NmareBfly posted:

E: Having ammo be the only thing in a location is also fine as far as I understand the rules in this game. That was NOT the case in tabletop IIRC -- if you took a crit and rolled an empty slot you re-rolled until you hit something so just ammo and nothing else in a section was a disaster waiting to happen, but I believe crits that land on empty locations just get ignored here?

Correct.