Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

theCalamity posted:

Is this for real?

No, but I wish it was. Still, can't imagine what's next after GOD HAND, ♯FE and Detroit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Squidtentacle posted:

The main drive of Kara's story was whether a deviant could form a meaningful, protective relationship with a human and raise one as a child, even in the face of other humans abusing and oppressing her, or whether that was solely her own programming making her do that. It's a pretty pointed contrast to the world around them, where it's turning into androids and humans protecting their own, or androids being helped by humans; Kara is the only android trying to help a human despite their circumstances.

Now we know Alice is an android, so it really doesn't matter in the same way as it did before because it's the same "androids gotta keep the other androids safe" protectiveness instead of something different. Kara was still selfless, but now it's no different from Markus sacrificing himself for the android movement or the sexbots teaming up to escape or Connor going deviant.

It's all just congealed into the same themes for everyone, because apparently that's all that matters in this story that definitely isn't about slavery.

Eh, I'd say the main drive is a lot like Connor's - can a machine show empathy and form relationships, which in Kara's case is specifically familial. Y'know, do a human thing. Kara only gets called out the once by North for helping a human while being a robot. The family element is a lot more front and center than the robot-human stuff. Connor feels like a much stronger ("stronger" in huge quotations marks) exploration of that human-android stuff since he can have a friendly and even supportive relationship with Hank despite constantly being treated like poo poo by all the humans in the PD. Even Hank for like the early half of it.

It's not totally absent from her story sure, but Cage doesn't really do subtext. Given Kara's upcoming chapter he extremely doesn't do subtext.

edit: Although to be fair the North thing does come up right before the reveal, which is really loving stupid.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 28, 2018

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RareAcumen posted:

No, but I wish it was. Still, can't imagine what's next after GOD HAND, ♯FE and Detroit.

Fahrenheit

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Horizon would be the absolute worst.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

They've had good moments as (Almost) all the LPs do, but yeah I'm really not getting the bent they've had for a bit of doing these long as hell, open to semi-open games with more than a few of them being dialogue heavy too, they just end up being "Best of" fodder it feels like, when some crazy person puts together all the good parts from the 100 hour playthrough.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Burkion posted:

Fahrenheit

buddy, I got good news for you

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL57hJfweW_2sOt01sX9TtQRkzv5RS231f

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ahahhahahahah, I can't believe they got *that* Connor end, goddamn.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

No, no, THAT'S Indigo Prophecy

No they need to get Paige to blindly run them through the completely different game, Fahrenheit

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Well at least Matt managed to avoid the robo gas chamber.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Motto posted:

1%!!!!

Omg what an ending!

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Yea the game does fall apart a bit in the last 40 minutes if you get the worst possible ending with every character.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hahahahsshhajahsh i love these guys

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Motto posted:

I am really torn. On the one hand, I wanted to see him pull through, on the other, Pat dying that one final time since he just can't help it was really magical :allears:

motherfucking 1% ending. Amazing. They did it.

edit: I bet this is why Pat alluded to Paige doing Detroit "sooner than I thought", he probably wants to see it not just completely poo poo the bed at every opportunity and miss out on like FOUR ENTIRE STORY EVENTS. :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
So I looked it up and I’m glad Pat didn’t spoil himself with Connor

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Yea the game does fall apart a bit in the last 40 minutes if you get the worst possible ending with every character.

I kinda want them to do a watch-through of all the possible endings, just so they can see how badly they hosed up.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

To be fair pat dying there is the game's fault, Hank should have had no reason to think Connor knew his son's name.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Horizon would be the absolute worst.

But it's actually a good game, though.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Dabir posted:

To be fair pat dying there is the game's fault, Hank should have had no reason to think Connor knew his son's name.

But Connor the character should know everything about Hank, including that his son died. Especially when you choose the right name and Connor exposition dumps Hanks backstory. But that might still be the game’s fault, as you don’t know how Hank’s Son dies until you select the right name and Connor explains it all

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Now to wait for Paige to stream it and see how much better she does.

Scialen
Nov 5, 2010

Look into my eyes...

Shindragon posted:

So I looked it up and I’m glad Pat didn’t spoil himself with Connor

Except he somehow spoiled himself on the title screen android gimmick.

Also, Woolie's Automata LP is hitting a snag with sidequests as Liam didn't take time to refamiliarise himself with them, so he's mishandled at least one and dismissed another even though it's really fun and cool. In fact, they're all rather fun and cool and add to the story. The default mindset should be "do the sidequests."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I loving LOVED how much they marked out when they realized Cage was doing the "which one do I shoot?" cliche.

Shindragon posted:

Hahahahsshhajahsh i love these guys

:same:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Scialen posted:

Except he somehow spoiled himself on the title screen android gimmick.

The replacement thing? There was some news stories about it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The biggest twist is that they liked it

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Dabir posted:

What if he didn't pick anything? That's what I would have expected to be the solution. A trick question.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

VolticSurge posted:

But it's actually a good game, though.

I would love for them to play Horizon because I'd kill to see their reactions to Ted Faro: History's Greatest Monster.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Vanderdeath posted:

I would love for them to play Horizon because I'd kill to see their reactions to Ted Faro: History's Greatest Monster.

Man, gently caress Ted Faro.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
A game about tribal people fighting robot dinosaurs in a post-post apocalyptic future should not have had as good a story as it did.

Probably helped that the lead writer was the same guy who did Fallout: New Vegas.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Vanderdeath posted:

WampaLord posted:

Man, gently caress Ted Faro.

gently caress TED FARO

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
We end as we began, with Woolie being a coward, Pat dying and Matt bumblelording his way to safety

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

But Connor the character should know everything about Hank, including that his son died. Especially when you choose the right name and Connor exposition dumps Hanks backstory. But that might still be the game’s fault, as you don’t know how Hank’s Son dies until you select the right name and Connor explains it all

Why should he? The game never told him, the person in charge of Connor, that information. And if it's something he should know from doing all his research before he met Hank, which we still didn't see, the fake one would know it too.

E: From youtube comments, you're apparently supposed to find out by searching the room where Hank tries to kill himself and looking at all the pictures. And again, Hank's drunk out of his skull and having a near death experience when that happens, so how the gently caress would he know which pictures Connor did or did not look at? Why would he assume he looked at any?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I did love the fake Connor throwing in a "I knew that too!" after Pat got the dog's name right.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dabir posted:

Why should he? The game never told him, the person in charge of Connor, that information. And if it's something he should know from doing all his research before he met Hank, which we still didn't see, the fake one would know it too.

E: From youtube comments, you're apparently supposed to find out by searching the room where Hank tries to kill himself and looking at all the pictures. And again, Hank's drunk out of his skull and having a near death experience when that happens, so how the gently caress would he know which pictures Connor did or did not look at? Why would he assume he looked at any?

Also, for the friends finding that information, apparently Pat was about to look at the thing, but Woolie convinced him to go look at a magazine, which triggered the "okay lets go" from Hank.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

woolie is the worst human being

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Woolie basically made the LP about 3-4 hours shorter between backing down and sabotaging Pat.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Stairmaster posted:

woolie is the worst human being

Nah.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Paige is back into Portal tonight and it's everything I wanted it to be.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Paige blind fired a portal to be exactly above a turret

and then proceed to miss the turret with a box throw in the small space where it would miss

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I actually can't remember my life before Paige started trying to solve this one puzzle.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

This stream is worth it for me finding out that a tune I'd known my entire life is actually something called "The Yellow Rose of Texas."

I mean I grew up in rural Ireland so I have NO idea how that one came down to me but yeah, there you go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I feel gross for having watched the Detroit finale.