Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Pretty sure Johnny 5 aces is in the new PIllars of Eternity game as well

That is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Meridian posted:

Yeah, I always thought that translating obscure weird metaphysics lore into a gameplay analogue was kind of stupid. Cheapens it, a bit.

the concept of dragon breaks at the very least was invented as a way to allow multiple endings to be canonical. that's not to say all of the weird esoterica in elder scrolls is just gameplay concessions, but at the very least it's something that happened sometimes.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the concept of dragon breaks at the very least was invented as a way to allow multiple endings to be canonical. that's not to say all of the weird esoterica in elder scrolls is just gameplay concessions, but at the very least it's something that happened sometimes.

Oh sure, but I mean that's not saying "x thing happened in the lore so here so it means that entity y knows they're in a game." That's a cute way of unifying contradictory endings while at the same time actually using that to better iron out their setting. A Dragon Break, as an example, is still self contained within the lore, it doesn't lead to any sort of "Vivec can use the console" nonsense.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
speaking of dragon breaks, i thought i remembered an Oblivion corpse that had a weird note on it, maybe about them being a time traveler? anyone have any idea what I'm thinking of?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i dont recall that npc but probably, time travel via one means or another isn't really rare in TES

though time travel isn't really anything like a dragon break. dragon break is more like reality snaps and you have multiple overlapping parallel universes occur at once

only instances of capital DB dragon breaks I can think of are:

Marukh and the alessians danced to break the dragon in first era leading to a thousand years of history getting lost

Red Moment during the war between the nords, dunmer, and dwemer that lead to the dewmer disappearing with the numidium turning on

Warp in the West with the numidium again turning on

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

speaking of dragon breaks, i thought i remembered an Oblivion corpse that had a weird note on it, maybe about them being a time traveler? anyone have any idea what I'm thinking of?

https://www.imperial-library.info/content/loveletter-fifth-era-true-purpose-tamriel

Might have been this; there's two different love letters that come up when you go hunting for oblivion time travel but neither mention being dated nor any other indications of time tomfoolery. I 100% remember it being a thing tho.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
Are you thinking of this? It's actually from morrowind though

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:A_worn_and_weathered_note

Nevar forget https://www.somethingawful.com/hosted/jeffk/morrowindintarview/index.htm

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
That weathered note sounds like someone who came close to CHIM but failed.

Johnny 5 aces has CHIM.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Dr. Mobius has CHIM.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Old World Blues was so good

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Old World Blues was so good

The only bad thing about it was bullet sponge enemies, and it's not like that's a huge problem.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
If you use a body mod, the Lobotomites' lab gowns don't go all the way down. There's a lot of dong in Big MT.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Okay. Done with graphics, patches etc. Now I just need to setup Tamriel Rebuilt. Will Tamriel rebuilt get all the texture changes from my mods if I add it with MO?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

If you use a body mod, the Lobotomites' lab gowns don't go all the way down. There's a lot of dong in Big MT.
Big MT Energy.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!
I mean, it's not like the Player Character being diegetically special because they're the Player Character has roots deep in PC gaming which went on to influence the language of virtual environments or anything.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 29, 2018

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Teddy bears.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Do that's what Klein was talking about the whole time!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Midig posted:

Okay. Done with graphics, patches etc. Now I just need to setup Tamriel Rebuilt. Will Tamriel rebuilt get all the texture changes from my mods if I add it with MO?

yes, make sure you use the high resolution tamriel data

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

yes, make sure you use the high resolution tamriel data

I use watercolor texture mod, which I want to be used on everything with a few exceptions. Also, what am I to do with the bsa. files and JAR file which is there? I know how to run the JAR file with MO, but what am I supposed to patch with it?

EDIT:

Installation instructions have not said anything about the JAR file, so I just registered BSA and added a patch for MRM and MGE XE errors.

Midig fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 30, 2018

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Anyone up to date with the drama here?

https://www.reddit.com/r/CommunityTes3mp/comments/8uvbmm/tes3mp_063_released_we_did_it_first_enchants/

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Midig posted:

I use watercolor texture mod, which I want to be used on everything with a few exceptions. Also, what am I to do with the bsa. files and JAR file which is there? I know how to run the JAR file with MO, but what am I supposed to patch with it?

the jar file is for patching ancient mods which shouldn't be necessary outside of very weird circumstances.

:yikes: no thanks

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Never ran the JAR file, as official guides said nothing about it. My Morrowind setup is basically done except for a few tweaks in the code patch.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Anyone here mod Daggerfall? Hoped there would be some good projects up.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Midig posted:

Anyone here mod Daggerfall? Hoped there would be some good projects up.

Only thing I keep tabs on for Daggerfall is the Unity conversion project which beyond all odds is still being updated

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

So is that just to fix bugs and being able to make their own changes, or is it mostly for graphical improvements? What annoys me about modding, in general, is that the people will put in tons and tons of work into a project and provide tons and tons of information. But not bother to take 5 minutes to write down what it is, what it has achieved, what it is trying to achieve etc. I can try to infer as best as I can, but just a simple clear-cut answer would really help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXKa4H9_F-0

Midig fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 3, 2018

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

The clues in the name, its converting Daggerfall to the unity engine.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Cool, and that is for at least 3 hypothetical purposes that I have to infer because they just can't tell me with crystal clear language.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Midig posted:

Cool, and that is for at least 3 hypothetical purposes that I have to infer because they just can't tell me with crystal clear language.

why don't you gently caress around and find out?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Wonder what the Blades are going to be this time.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Penpal posted:

Is there any lore or anything about life on the moons, evil or otherwise? Or even a mod. I want to sword and sorcery in a weird lunar environment and look up to see Tamriel on fire or something.

Probably beaten, but yes. The Aethernautics mod is based on some of the "deep lore' by kirkbride, and Kirkbride's c0da is set on the moon after Tamriel gets rekt.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Midig posted:

Okay then, the purpose of the project is to port Daggerfall to the Unity engine. Anything else is outside the scope of this project. It will probably run better but that's a side effect.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Midig posted:

Is this some sort of weird dragon break situation where your reality only has the test videos while the rest of us have merged into a reality in which we can easily access their linked website with its roadmap, release notes, etc?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Praseodymi posted:

Okay then, the purpose of the project is to port Daggerfall to the Unity engine. Anything else is outside the scope of this project. It will probably run better but that's a side effect.

It will run better and hopefully you'll fall through the floor less, maybe fix some other bugs.

But you asked about mods and actually they are planning on fully supporting community mods and there are already a bunch, mostly graphics mods, but somebody already made the groundwork for modded factions so anything is possible.

Wrong quote but ehhh

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Preem Palver posted:

Is this some sort of weird dragon break situation where your reality only has the test videos while the rest of us have merged into a reality in which we can easily access their linked website with its roadmap, release notes, etc?

No, you somehow magically though I was demanding it of this from you guys though, instead of from the creators. Seriously, all that hard work and I can't even find a FAQ.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Praseodymi posted:

This is kind of like saying that you have to get fast from school so you can catch the train. But very few people try to catch a train/bus for its own sake, they take trains to reach a destination or to meet some other end. What are they trying to achieve by making the game work on the unity engine?

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Midig posted:

This is kind of like saying that you have to get fast from school so you can catch the train. But very few people try to catch a train/bus for its own sake, they take trains to reach a destination or to meet some other end. What are they trying to achieve by making the game work on the unity engine?

Bholder posted:

It will run better and hopefully you'll fall through the floor less, maybe fix some other bugs.

Although most importantly is that it will actually run at all on newer operating systems. I can think of a few games that you just can't run without a VM or something, usually one's that ran on Windows 95/98/ME natively.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Midig posted:

Alright, so, what happened was that there was a guy who used to be known as Interkarma who wrote some tools to look at Daggerfall stuff and perhaps try some modding. And one day he decided to make a resource viewer using Unity as the engine so that he could focus on the resource handling part and not have to write his own renderer and stuff. This progressed so well that when the guy who made DaggerXL disappeared forever, he thought he could turn his resource viewer into a full-fledged game engine recreation so that we'd have that since we won't have DaggerXL.

What is being achieved this way? Well the same thing as what DaggerXL was supposed to achieve. Modernized interface, runs natively on modern OS, less bugs, higher resolution, same game otherwise.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Universally one of the worst aspects of modding is the only way to get answers to any basic questions is to sit through a 10 minute video (at least 90 second of which is xxxtreme epic intro with a rad metal song) from the most shrill youtuber possible. Don't forget to smash that like, follow and subscribe!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Universally one of the worst aspects of modding is the only way to get answers to any basic questions is to sit through a 10 minute video (at least 90 second of which is xxxtreme epic intro with a rad metal song) from the most shrill youtuber possible. Don't forget to smash that like, follow and subscribe!

What basic questions only have answers in that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Some mod descriptions feel like trying to understand the Tabletop game Nobilis. In fact, modders, in general, remind me of people who spend too much time on DeviantArt. Makes something that doesn't make sense to people, cant explain what it is, bad at taking criticism, way too much lewd stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3RNnL715tM&t=302s

Midig fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 4, 2018