Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
ComiXology has a memorial weekend sale and I am looking to pick up some collections

I have mostly read Marvel and I stopped sometime after Civil War 2. Are there any good Avengers runs and how is Captain America?

Also is there any recent good runs of Batman? I tried getting into current Batman, but I had a hard time having to read all the different comics to keep up with the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Mappo posted:

ComiXology has a memorial weekend sale and I am looking to pick up some collections

I have mostly read Marvel and I stopped sometime after Civil War 2. Are there any good Avengers runs and how is Captain America?

Also is there any recent good runs of Batman? I tried getting into current Batman, but I had a hard time having to read all the different comics to keep up with the story.

Well I don't know exactly what you mean with a hard time keeping up. Do you mean because of the sheer volume of issues? Or because of crossovers? There's only one crossover and that's Night of the Monster Men. I'd just get some current trades. Aside from that: Batman and Son, R.I.P., etc.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yup. Just read Rebirth 'Batman' or 'All-Star Batman' or 'Detective Comics' and you get one storyline each.

Unless you want to catch up to current comics, get Scott Snyder's 2011 'Batman' run, which is completed and excellent.
I'd also recommend 2011 'Batman and Robin.' Robin is barely featured in the main solo comic of the time and there's a great father and son dynamic there.

Avengers since CW2 is pretty much a dud. I assume you followed Hickman's run.

I like Waid's little Cap run that's about to end.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Mappo posted:

Have you ever read any Batman?

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Have you ever read any Batman?

Yeah I've read Dark Knight Returns, Year One, R.I.P. Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Hush, All Star Batman (not Absolute)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

ok but have you ever read any good batman

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Recently read Warren Ellis' Crecy, thought it was quite good. Anyone else know any comic stories that examine war/historical war in a relatively informative but not too heavy way? Too heavy, for an example, is From Hell (and yes I know it's not exactly pure 'history'), which is great but REALLY dense. I'll take war comics/historical comics in general as long as they're good.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Cornwind Evil posted:

Recently read Warren Ellis' Crecy, thought it was quite good. Anyone else know any comic stories that examine war/historical war in a relatively informative but not too heavy way? Too heavy, for an example, is From Hell (and yes I know it's not exactly pure 'history'), which is great but REALLY dense. I'll take war comics/historical comics in general as long as they're good.

The Cartoon History of the Universe by Larry Gonick is incredible. Five volumes cover all of history. It covers big events but also some individual stories, and you really get the feel of how events are interconnected despite occurring in different places.

Also, Don Rosa's Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck stories can actually contain a lot of real history. The new Fantagraphics collections have commentaries by Rosa that go into more detail about the historical events depicted.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Seems obvious but have you read Maus?

e: Or Palestine?

A whole bunch of drawn and quarterly graphic novel type journalism would probably fit the bill.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 31, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cornwind Evil posted:

Finally got around to reading March by John Lewis and that was amazing. Technically not a war comic, but basically is.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

I have not read most of it, but underground cartoonist Jack Jackson did a bunch of comics about 19th century US wars that are supposedly well-regarded.

Jack Jackson's American History: Los Tejanos & Lost Cause on comiXology

Also, Sam Glanzman's U.S.S. Stevens is supposed to be very good. It's an autobio comic about his service in the US Navy during World War II.

Servoret fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 31, 2018

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Cornwind Evil posted:

Garth Ennis's War Stories series might fit the bill. Each arc is about another period of war in various different countries. It's not too heavy, and usually gives you enough historical context to place it, even if you're not completely familiar with the engagement in question.

EDIT: \/\/\/ Forgot about Battlefields - that should fit too.

Jedi fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 31, 2018

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Jedi posted:

Garth Ennis's War Stories series might fit the bill. Each arc is about another period of war in various different countries. It's not too heavy, and usually gives you enough historical context to place it, even if you're not completely familiar with the engagement in question.

Yeah, War Stories, Battlefields and Enemy Ace are pretty good. Even stuff like Fury: My War Gone By and Punisher: The Platoon have some really good insights about the nature of war and the toll it takes on people.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Are any of The Crow comics after the original one James O'barr did any good?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cornwind Evil posted:

Joe Kubert did a graphic novel called Fax from Sarajevo about a friend of his trapped in the Bosnian war. It's a civilian's eye view of the conflict but Kubert is the definitive war comics artist so he's applying the skills he developed with Sgt. Rock to a different perspective.

For something completely different, Eric Shanower's Age of Bronze is a fascinating attempt to integrate all of the Trojan war myths and stories into something historically plausible. It's really good, but it started twenty years ago, only 33 issues of roughly a hundred planned were published, and obviously the odds that it will ever be finished are pretty much zero.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

Borgia by Milo Manara and Jodorowsky.

radlum
May 13, 2013
There's a Robin sale on Comixology. Any suggestions besides the obvious (Robin Year One, the Morrison arcs)?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

radlum posted:

There's a Robin sale on Comixology. Any suggestions besides the obvious (Robin Year One, the Morrison arcs)?

Batman and Robin 52 all the volumes, Robin son of Batman, supersons,

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I highly recommend the whole Grant Morrison/Peter Tomasi Damian saga available there, which would go: 'Batman and Son', 'Batman RIP', 'Batman and Robin' (2009) + 'The Return of Bruce Wayne' (read together), 'Batman Incorporated' (2010), 'Batman and Robin' (2011) + 'Batman Incorporated' (2012) (read together) and 'Robin: Son of Batman'

If you can't afford all that reading, I'd concentrate on Tomasi's 2011 'Batman and Robin.' There's one major event you'd miss by not also reading that second 'Batman Inc' series, but I guess you could just look it up. It'll be obvious when you get there.

edit: What Bobkatt said. The BnR team went on after that to do the wonderful Rebirth Superman series, just fyi.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 15, 2018

radlum
May 13, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions; hadn't read much with Damian after Morrison left, so I'll get the Tomasi books.

Any suggestions regarding the other Robins?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

radlum posted:

Thanks for the suggestions; hadn't read much with Damian after Morrison left, so I'll get the Tomasi books.

Any suggestions regarding the other Robins?

Stephanie is a great character but do not bother with anything with her as Robin. It’s all poo poo. Year theee for dick and young justice for tim! Get young justice it’s an awesome series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I haven’t read a lot of it, but I liked what I have read of the Robin solo series with Tim Drake as Robin.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
A friend told me her son is interested in reading Iron Man comics, but I don't know how much he likes to read, or how good his attention span is. He's probably 9 or 10, and I was a voracious reader at that age, of comics and anything else I could get my hands on. She doesn't want to spend too much on something he's going to quickly abandon, and I can't blame her.

Normally I would consider recommending Warren Ellis' Extremis (a nice self-contained story), the first three volumes of Matt Fraction's run (which tie heavily into Dark Avengers/Dark Reign), or possibly Armor Wars for something older without being too dated, but are there any books that are good, affordable compilations of Iron Man stories that are kid-friendly? Demon in a Bottle wouldn't be a fantastic choice for a kid his age. I don't know anything about the Marvel Adventures comics for younger readers, including if he would be too advanced for those.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

9-10 sounds about right for Marvel Adventures. I'm not sure he'd understand what the gently caress is going on in Extremis.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

A friend told me her son is interested in reading Iron Man comics, but I don't know how much he likes to read, or how good his attention span is. He's probably 9 or 10, and I was a voracious reader at that age, of comics and anything else I could get my hands on. She doesn't want to spend too much on something he's going to quickly abandon, and I can't blame her.

Normally I would consider recommending Warren Ellis' Extremis (a nice self-contained story), the first three volumes of Matt Fraction's run (which tie heavily into Dark Avengers/Dark Reign), or possibly Armor Wars for something older without being too dated, but are there any books that are good, affordable compilations of Iron Man stories that are kid-friendly? Demon in a Bottle wouldn't be a fantastic choice for a kid his age. I don't know anything about the Marvel Adventures comics for younger readers, including if he would be too advanced for those.

The first couple trades of Bendis Ironman would probably work well, there's some context he won't get but kids are suprisingly good at moving past that to enjoy the story being told.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Punk comix, please. Familiar with the following

The Hernandez Bros.
Mitch Clem (and As You Were)
Liz Prince
Punk Rock Jesus by Sean Murphy
Hate by Pete Bagge

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Do you mean comics about punk rock or something else?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Last Gang In Town - all in one trade!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hopeless Savages was about a punk rock family.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Archie Meets the Ramones!

Oddball suggestion: Marceline and the Scream Queens. Yeah, it's Adventure Time, but I enjoyed the hell out of the miniseries and I like punk rock.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Zachack posted:

Do you mean comics about punk rock or something else?

The former but if you have other ideas, I'm game

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Haven't read it, but maybe Henry and Glenn Forever?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

B33rChiller posted:

Haven't read it, but maybe Henry and Glenn Forever?

Not opposed to reading it but I feel like the best joke is the covers that make fun of the old timey romance comics and I probably wouldn't read it again after the 1st time.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Not opposed to reading it but I feel like the best joke is the covers that make fun of the old timey romance comics and I probably wouldn't read it again after the 1st time.

I physically own it and this is the best possible review.

Also accurate.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have recommendations for non-superhero "adventure" type stories? Not necessarily in a "period" setting like Indiana Jones, but that would be a potential bonus since it aligns with my interests. Something where the hero is a sort of globetrotting sort, like a spy or a journalist or a researcher, who travels to exotic locations where they thwart villains and solve mysteries, that sort of thing.

I know there are European comics like Modesty Blaise and Tintin that are all over this, so I'm happy to take whatever, just so long as it's something I can get hold of (ideally legally).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 28, 2018

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Atomic Robo immediately springs to mind, including the time periods (of some stories).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Maybe the sci-fi element isn't what you're looking for, but Jeff Parker and Evan/Doc Shaner's Flash Gordon is a neat adventure comic that looks great.

You can follow that up with their DC Johnny Quest book. It's got superheroes, but the adventuring family at the core.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 28, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Uthor posted:

Atomic Robo immediately springs to mind, including the time periods (of some stories).

Yeah this and Hellboy will cover you for the more action oriented style of adventure. Real Science Adventures by the same Atomic Robo guys as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Athena Voltaire is a series I always mean to check out and it looks like it's that exact vibe, but I can't vouch for it's quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

They still making Bandette? it's not Indiana Jones, but it's very action/adventure swashbuckler stuff and a lot of fun. No superheroes.