Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Yad Rock posted:

How did Bruce Wayne get back into Gotham City in The Dark Knight Rises?

He's Batman. He has plans for everything. That's why he's the greatest blah blah blah blah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

He's rich. He probably just made a couple of phonecalls and was on the next plane to the US from vaguely Middle Eastern prison country.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Batman can actually teleport and just pretends he has no super powers. That's how he disappears when people look the other way while talking to him.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the hole was actually in metropolis superman made it

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Yad Rock posted:

How did Bruce Wayne get back into Gotham City in The Dark Knight Rises?'
He walked on the ice.

Mind your surroundings and all that.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Martman posted:

Batman can actually teleport and just pretends he has no super powers. That's how he disappears when people look the other way while talking to him.

This is now canon

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

FreudianSlippers posted:

He's rich. He probably just made a couple of phonecalls and was on the next plane to the US from vaguely Middle Eastern prison country.

That's what I assumed. Even without the money after Bane's heist, he's got plenty of people who he could contact for a favor.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Vicissitude posted:

That's what I assumed. Even without the money after Bane's heist, he's got plenty of people who he could contact for a favor.

Like Bruce doesn't have secret off shore accounts. Hell, he gained control of Wayne Enterprises through various other trusts he had.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Home Alone, the bizarre heroic closeup on “Jimmy, stop that boy!” for a character who appears in the movie for all of ten seconds.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just watched The Girl on the Train, which was basically one long WTF moment.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

In Home Alone, the bizarre heroic closeup on “Jimmy, stop that boy!” for a character who appears in the movie for all of ten seconds.

The shot of Marv as a skeleton in Home Alone 2 terrified me as a kid and it's still unnerving. Same thing with the shots with the skeletons and John Candy as the devil in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. The latter was even scarier because you're not exactly expecting outright surrealism out of nowhere.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Hold up.. can Someone explain the Enemy thing to me??? I watched the clip and read wiki and still dont get it?

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
This scene from the original Transformers movie:

The entire movie is played straight with regards to animation humor. The scene in the movie where that is from, the heroes are literally dying, and there's just this comedic visual gag jammed in and completely tone deaf. There's nothing like it for the rest of the movie, and I've never heard an explanation for why it's there.

My head cannon for why is that some animator is insistent on doing it despite everyone objecting, does it anyways, and they have to use it because he's some c-level's nephew.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah, I mean who can say how many times Eric Trump has been airlifted out of the mountains of Pakistan because he got catastrophically lost on a Yacht trip.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

TerminalRaptor posted:

This scene from the original Transformers movie:

The entire movie is played straight with regards to animation humor. The scene in the movie where that is from, the heroes are literally dying, and there's just this comedic visual gag jammed in and completely tone deaf. There's nothing like it for the rest of the movie, and I've never heard an explanation for why it's there.

My head cannon for why is that some animator is insistent on doing it despite everyone objecting, does it anyways, and they have to use it because he's some c-level's nephew.

I love that the entire purpose of the film is to kill off the heroes so kids buy more toys of the new heroes since hasbro still had a shittton of designs from Japan they wanted to sell.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

TheCool69 posted:

Hold up.. can Someone explain the Enemy thing to me??? I watched the clip and read wiki and still dont get it?

No. Watch the movie if you wanna understand it. Not being a dick, no one is going to be able to translate it for you

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Egbert Souse posted:

The shot of Marv as a skeleton in Home Alone 2 terrified me as a kid and it's still unnerving. S

Woah yeah. Same here. That whole last act of 2 is really brutal compared to the first. Everything is way more dangerous and nasty.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

TheCool69 posted:

The spider represents women.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

moths posted:

I just watched The Girl on the Train, which was basically one long WTF moment.

"Gummo" fits this description too. In a WTF movie filled with WTF moments, the one with the kid wearing big pink rabbit ears getting pretend shot in a junkyard still stands out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFN6Lu2olRU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Oh man, you could just basically rename this entire thread “Gummo Moments In Movies,” and still convey the intent of what it’s supposed to be.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TheCool69 posted:

It's not really something that you can explain concisely. The spider is a visual metaphor showing up throughout the movie representing Gyllenhaal's paranoia and fear of women.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's not really something that you can explain concisely. The spider is a visual metaphor showing up throughout the movie representing Gyllenhaal's paranoia and fear of women.

You've just explained it extremely concisely.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

BiggerBoat posted:

"Gummo" fits this description too. In a WTF movie filled with WTF moments, the one with the kid wearing big pink rabbit ears getting pretend shot in a junkyard still stands out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFN6Lu2olRU

My favourite WTF movie filled with WTF moments is "Pieces".

Here's a moment that will stick in my mind until the day I die: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ4-rNHSdrQ

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

You've just explained it extremely concisely.

I mean, I gave the most direct explanation possible, but I don't feel like it's an overly complete one. :v:

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Twin Cinema posted:

My favourite WTF movie filled with WTF moments is "Pieces".

Here's a moment that will stick in my mind until the day I die: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ4-rNHSdrQ

Wait, what... Something I ate... the gently caress... It was bad enough he got taken out rather easily but just acts like it wasn't even a thing worth talking about.. Brilliant.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Fart City posted:

Oh man, you could just basically rename this entire thread “Gummo Moments In Movies,” and still convey the intent of what it’s supposed to be.

Totally. Gummo is insane, brutal, dark, off putting, disgusting and filty and for some reason I'm captivated by it. First time I saw it, I legit thought it was a weird documentary. I didn't even touch on the spaghetti in the filthy bathtub scene. The gently caress is that movie anyway?

I've actually felt DIRTY every time I've watched it. Whole god damned film is WTF.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

BiggerBoat posted:

Totally. Gummo is insane, brutal, dark, off putting, disgusting and filty and for some reason I'm captivated by it. First time I saw it, I legit thought it was a weird documentary. I didn't even touch on the spaghetti in the filthy bathtub scene. The gently caress is that movie anyway?

I've actually felt DIRTY every time I've watched it. Whole god damned film is WTF.

Yes. It's one of few movies I've turned off and not completed, because of how unpleasant the entire atmosphere is. The gross bathtub scene didn't help. I just didn't want to be there anymore after a while, and didn't care about how it ended.

I like some Harmony Korine movies. But ugh. Not Gummo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

nesamdoom posted:

Wait, what... Something I ate... the gently caress... It was bad enough he got taken out rather easily but just acts like it wasn't even a thing worth talking about.. Brilliant.

Pieces is loving amazing and you need to watch it if you haven't already.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

One of my favorite things about Gummo is that Werner Herzeg loves it, because that makes total sense:

“When I saw a piece of fried bacon fixed to the bathroom wall in Gummo, it knocked me off my chair. [Korine's] a very clear voice of a generation of filmmakers that is taking a new position. It's not going to dominate world cinema, but so what?"

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Let's not forget almost everything in House.

https://youtu.be/WQ_Yo06kIIA

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TerminalRaptor posted:

"Serious" cartoon movies weren't a thing in the 80s, it was done for the same reason everyone makes friends later over Weird Al's Dare to be Stupid: to remind kids that it was a cartoon and that no one was actually hurt in the lead up to them killing off Optimus Prime. It's condescending and dumb but it was done with reasonably good intentions.

It worked so well (not at all) that taking a two inch snake to the heart in GI Joe only put Duke into a coma (he got better during the end credits).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PoptartsNinja posted:

"Serious" cartoon movies weren't a thing in the 80s, it was done for the same reason everyone makes friends later over Weird Al's Dare to be Stupid: to remind kids that it was a cartoon and that no one was actually hurt in the lead up to them killing off Optimus Prime. It's condescending and dumb but it was done with reasonably good intentions.

to be honest, it's entirely likely the MPAA or the studio forced that bit in because the scene was "too dark" otherwise, rather than it really being anything the writers or animators did willingly. The Land Before Time got hosed with similarly; the scene with the random old dinosaur Littlefoot talks to after his mom dies was something the studio forced Don Bluth to add, because test screenings went horribly and child psychologists were leaning on them pretty hard.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The people making Transformers: The Movie legitimately had no idea that the death of Optimus Prime (and the others, for that matter) would be so shocking to kids. They just thought of it as getting rid of some toys to make room for new toys. The backlash was such that A) video versions of the movie added a little epilogue promising, among other things, that "Optimus Prime will return!" and B) the G. I. Joe movie was supposed to have lead character Duke get killed, but instead he gets put in a coma, utters a deliberately goofy "Yo, Joe" when he gets hit, and at the end they announce that he's gonna be okay too.

So the tonal clash is probably just because they had no idea anyone would take the deaths of the robots seriously.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Maxwell Lord posted:

The people making Transformers: The Movie legitimately had no idea that the death of Optimus Prime (and the others, for that matter) would be so shocking to kids. They just thought of it as getting rid of some toys to make room for new toys. The backlash was such that A) video versions of the movie added a little epilogue promising, among other things, that "Optimus Prime will return!" and B) the G. I. Joe movie was supposed to have lead character Duke get killed, but instead he gets put in a coma, utters a deliberately goofy "Yo, Joe" when he gets hit, and at the end they announce that he's gonna be okay too.

As I recall, Duke very obviously dies, everyone else is reacting appropriately as if their friend, mentor and commanding officer had just been killed in front of them, then either Scarlett or Lady Jaye is conveniently seen from behind and says, "He's gone into a coma!"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
"ant farm dick hole" is just a zero budget shock movie that is sort of vaguely the boy version of "teeth" but mean spirited and awful but the final scene is amazing nonsense. the whole movie is an origin story for spiderman

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Wheat Loaf posted:

As I recall, Duke very obviously dies, everyone else is reacting appropriately as if their friend, mentor and commanding officer had just been killed in front of them, then either Scarlett or Lady Jaye is conveniently seen from behind and says, "He's gone into a coma!"

Then after they beat the bad guys, they show a bunch of close-ups of the Joes and pause the animation on the victory celebration while having someone say, "Guys! Duke came out of his coma!"

It's like an awkward version of that, "Wait a minute! You didn't learn how World War II ended!" gag from the Simpsons.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
He's an rear end in a top hat in a film full of assholes but the long and agonizing way in which the dude who plays Charlie in It's Always Sunny dies in the film Hotel Artemis stuck with me more than anything else in the movie
Ughhhhhhhhh 🤢

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 28, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well thanks for the spoiler for a movie that barely came out.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

He's an rear end in a top hat in a film full of assholes but the long and agonizing way in which the dude who plays Charlie in It's Always Sunny dies in the film Hotel Artemis stuck with me more than anything else in the movie
Ughhhhhhhhh 🤢

You could have easily taken the last word in your spoiler out of the spoiler, to make it more obvious for people who might not want to mouse over it.

Any of you who haven't seen it, DON'T mouse over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
:lol: at pretending anyone is going to see Hotel Artemis.