Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BC

Phoebe

Wizard of Id

Wallace

Curtis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TofuDiva posted:

Breaking Cat News

I appreciate the cats saying "Oh my cat"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Some Guy TT posted:

Oh yeah, I had another question. Which part of Jack's plan in Bad Machinery is supposed to be a rip-off of Harry Potter? Because I don't remember anyone using a depressed ghost to fight against joy sucking monsters in Harry Potter. I remember Moaning Myrtle, and I remember the Dementors, but did they have a fight at some point and I just forgot about it or what?

Throwing Todd Baxter at the joy sucking monster is sort of a reverse Patronus, but yeah the actual connection escapes me at the moment.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Or it's a wrong number?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Or it's a wrong number?

Nah, it's a scam.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

This is so close to being a good computer joke. So close. All he needed was a piece of technology that actually had an X manager.

File manager, device manager, task manager. So close.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2008 Spiderman

The Amazing Umm

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh dear. Golden Claw a.k.a.

who is this guy:

Uhm. Well. Let's strap ourselves in for several weeks of :yikes:

Dick Tracy

The Last Mechanical Monster

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Haifisch posted:

2008 Spiderman

what

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

I'm no style expert, but I'm 100% certain only Lottie could carry off that outfit in the last 2 strips. Anyone else would look ridiculous.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

Fred Basset

Why does Fred Basset exist? Was it ever at all popular?

Vargo posted:

Wallace

I always love when he throws a seagull in there like that. :allears:

ikanreed posted:

This is so close to being a good computer joke. So close. All he needed was a piece of technology that actually had an X manager.

File manager, device manager, task manager. So close.
Font managers are a real thing. FontBook is Apple's version, but there are others. They are probably mostly used by graphic designers, who inevitably collect hundreds of fonts and font families, so maybe they aren't common knowledge?

F Minus

Kids today! You have to pay your dues! :argh:

Mark Trail

Please, let's take a moment of silence for the beams that gave their lives for our topographical maps.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

It's so annoying when the wait staff gets too comfortable.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

That ring sure made Margo forget that toothy blonde fast.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Walker posted:

Why does Fred Basset exist? Was it ever at all popular?
I like Fred Basset. :colbert:

Johnny Walker posted:

F Minus

Pooch Cafe
I also like both of these strips. :xd:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Johnny Walker posted:

I always love when he throws a seagull in there like that. :allears:

That gull makes my day whenever he shows up.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Lottie is, as they'd say in the strip, a well good judge of character. Though Erin has horns, not a tail.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

Lottie is, as they'd say in the strip, a well good judge of character. Though Erin has horns, not a tail.

Please stop posting stuff from future stories (even if they're not Bad Machinery proper). I'll be putting in the necessary links when they come up.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Please stop posting stuff from future stories (even if they're not Bad Machinery proper). I'll be putting in the necessary links when they come up.

Fair enough, my bad. My recollection was that story never intersected with Bad Machinery and Erin never shows up again in BM?, but I can also see how blathering about stuff that happens outside the strip could be, uh, tedious to people who never read scary-go-round or new bobbins.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

Johnny Walker posted:

Maybe it's just me, but having just the first and last panels sepia-toned makes it feel like those are flashbacks while what happens in the middle is current.

It's not just you. The colorist is getting it wrong. Every panel of these flashback strips should be in sepia.

I'm out of the Gasoline Alley strips for the moment. Will try to get some more together over the weekend.

King Aroo (October 17, 1952)

Wash Tubbs (August 4, 1930)

Barney Google (September 3, 1923)

Alley Oop (December 3, 1934)

Oaky Doaks (November 28, 1935)

Dickie Dare (January 11, 1934)

Bringing Up Father (May 14, 1940)

Krazy Kat (May 12, 1936)

Polly and Her Pals (May 13, 1937)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

Fair enough, my bad. My recollection was that story never intersected with Bad Machinery and Erin never shows up again in BM?, but I can also see how blathering about stuff that happens outside the strip could be, uh, tedious to people who never read scary-go-round or new bobbins.

Well, the girls do play a part in it. Also Erin does show up at the end of The Severed Alliance, but I was more talking about how that's a pretty significant moment of Into The Woods, even if it's cropped. I'll but putting in links to those stories where they're appropriate. The first is New Bobbins comes up basically after the end of the next case.

I don't mind broad strokes discussion, but let's avoid spoiling those stories for people who might want to read them when the time's right.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wondering if Ces is going to do a Harlan Ellison tribute. (Reddick better loving not.)

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Harley

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Selachian posted:

Wondering if Ces is going to do a Harlan Ellison tribute. (Reddick better loving not.)

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Harley

Harlan Ellison isn't exactly bubble gum pop culture though

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Calaveron posted:

I need a Gilchrist style homage of Aunt Fritzi in a bikini holding a copy of "I have no mouth..." and giving a tear filled rendition of the Hate monologue.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, but Ces is the guy who's doing a Thomas Pynchon gag in the current run of strips. I doubt Ellison is too obscure for him.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Selachian posted:

Yeah, but Ces is the guy who's doing a Thomas Pynchon gag in the current run of strips. I doubt Ellison is too obscure for him.

Was talking about Reddick

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I am really, really hoping the use of the name "Golden Claw" means they're using Jeff Parker's take on the character from Agents of Atlas, as opposed to literally any other take.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Selachian posted:

Yeah, but Ces is the guy who's doing a Thomas Pynchon gag in the current run of strips.

I am so in love with the fact that he's doing it, too.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Reddick seems too busy writing the blandest romances possible to do a tribute for someone who never got a Funko Pop, but I have this terrible vision of Zakour trying to make an office magic "no mouths but must scream" joke for Working Daze and oh god

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Howard Beale posted:

... but I have this terrible vision of Zakour trying to make an office magic "no mouths but must scream" joke for Working Daze and oh god

I Have No Humor and I Must Amuse.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Why would he do that when the man wrote episodes of star trek?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Endless Mike posted:

I appreciate the cats saying "Oh my cat"

Also, check out the expression on The Toddler's face

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
The perils of moderating Hi and Lois:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Howard Beale posted:

Reddick seems too busy writing the blandest romances possible to do a tribute for someone who never got a Funko Pop, but I have this terrible vision of Zakour trying to make an office magic "no mouths but must scream" joke for Working Daze and oh god
Y'all are lucky I can't easily post my comics this week.

If there's a tribute tomorrow, though, I might try to make an exception :getin:

Resident Idiot posted:

When the gently caress did Comics Kingdom start giving a poo poo about their comments sections? Did the Luann commenter singularity finally explode?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Evil Mastermind posted:

Y'all are lucky I can't easily post my comics this week.

If there's a tribute tomorrow, though, I might try to make an exception :getin:

When the gently caress did Comics Kingdom start giving a poo poo about their comments sections? Did the Luann commenter singularity finally explode?

Luann is on GoComics, not Comics Kingdom.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Resident Idiot posted:

Comic Strip Thread: Please refrain from erotic speculation about our characters

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Tiggum posted:

The "Amazing" Spider-Man

knowing who the actual reveal is, this edit is beautiful.

TofuDiva posted:

Ballard Street

I've been in a REALLY rough place lately and Ballard Street always helps, this one especially

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

LvK posted:

I've been in a REALLY rough place lately and Ballard Street always helps, this one especially

:glomp: Have an extra from the Ballard Street backfile, on me.

Ballard Street

Breaking Cat News

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

dismas posted:

I think this would be a good title change.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

dismas posted:

CommaToes posted:

I think this would be a good title change.

Yes.

No.

NO.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Julet Esqu posted:

Yes.

No.

NO.

"Porche"

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Whew, I was really worried for a moment there about the linguistic consistency of Bangallan society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Why is Sally Forth doing a Pynchon riff, though? Seems random unless I missed something or it'll become significant later