Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

It may not be universal (if the merchant code is wrong in some countries?), but I know every restaurant in Germany or France that we've used our Sapphire at got the 3x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
The reward is only as good as Chase's ability to identify restaurants. It's worked pretty well for me internationally.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah basically I live abroad so the card only works out for me if I can get the rewards on int'l purchases as well or basically I'll never justify the annual fee.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Yeah. IIRC there was some card that restricted rewards to US establishments only.
Some American Express cards are this way.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

It's going to be based on what the card processor categorizes the vendor as which is up to the discretion of Visa/Mastercard/American Express

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I’ve used my CSR in restaurants in countries on every continent and I’ve always gotten the 3x points for restaurants and for travel stuff like train tickets.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
I've never had an issue with international merchant misclassification. Visa, MasterCard, and so on are all global networks, and a merchant who takes cards will be set up with a local payment processor who knows what they do.

The real problem with rewards for dining and incidentals while traveling is that a lot of countries aren't as card-friendly as the US. In semi-developed parts of the world, cash is still king, and mobile payments (think Venmo but for flip phones too) are a rapidly growing second place. Credit cards often aren't common outside places that cater to tourists. Even in Europe, cash-only small businesses are way more common than they are in the US.

On that note, if you're going to do a lot of international travel, be sure to get a Schwab investor checking account before you leave. The interest rate isn't spectacular, and you have to sign up for a (free) brokerage account that will probably never do anything for you, but here's a line item from my statement last month:
pre:
05/31/2018 ATMREBATE ATM Fee Rebate $104.71
It is really, really nice to be able to take local currency out from ATMs in $20-100ish increments without worrying too much about fees.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Space Gopher posted:

I've never had an issue with international merchant misclassification. Visa, MasterCard, and so on are all global networks, and a merchant who takes cards will be set up with a local payment processor who knows what they do.

The real problem with rewards for dining and incidentals while traveling is that a lot of countries aren't as card-friendly as the US. In semi-developed parts of the world, cash is still king, and mobile payments (think Venmo but for flip phones too) are a rapidly growing second place. Credit cards often aren't common outside places that cater to tourists. Even in Europe, cash-only small businesses are way more common than they are in the US.

On that note, if you're going to do a lot of international travel, be sure to get a Schwab investor checking account before you leave. The interest rate isn't spectacular, and you have to sign up for a (free) brokerage account that will probably never do anything for you, but here's a line item from my statement last month:
pre:
It is really, really nice to be able to take local currency out from ATMs in $20-100ish increments without worrying too much about fees.

Holy poo poo, this is potentially gonna save me hundreds per year, thanks.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
In a somewhat related note, Fidelity is offering $200 cash bonus for depositing $200. Must keep the $200 there for 9 months. No fees.

No ATM fees at Fidelity too.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/fidelity-sign-up-for-investing-spending-accounts-get-200-bonus/

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

hostile apostle posted:

In a somewhat related note, Fidelity is offering $200 cash bonus for depositing $200. Must keep the $200 there for 9 months. No fees.

No ATM fees at Fidelity too.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/fidelity-sign-up-for-investing-spending-accounts-get-200-bonus/

gently caress, it was available this morning and now it's ended.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Space Gopher posted:

pre:

Yeah. There's not a lot of big benefit or difference across offerings for checking accounts. It all ends up maxing out ~$200 a year in the best of cases. I've found the schwab checking to be a decent flexible benefit that has the added benefit of taking away my usual rage at getting charged fees for bullshit or having to go out of my way for $3 goddamned dollars and feeling like a miser.

Even without the international angle I get ~$10-15 a month back from it.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Appreciate the advice, and will likely apply for that card! Seems like the benefits usually end up paying more than the $450/year so it does seem worth it. We're hoping to do 1 big trip a year and a few small ones, so I'll do some math and see what I come up with. Thanks again!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Iron Lung posted:

Appreciate the advice, and will likely apply for that card! Seems like the benefits usually end up paying more than the $450/year so it does seem worth it. We're hoping to do 1 big trip a year and a few small ones, so I'll do some math and see what I come up with. Thanks again!

If you have the time and energy (and funds) to get into the credit card game, there is great value to be had in looking for solid sign-up bonuses for various cards. Over the past year, my husband and I have snagged elevated sign-up bonuses for Hilton, Venture, Delta and we're in the first year of Discover It, which matches their cashback bonus in the first year. You have to stay on top of your timelines, minimum spends, etc and pay off your bills every month, but the bonuses are pretty amazing and you can build a few solid trips out of the random stuff you acquire.

If you don't want to be bothered, finding a solid pair of earning cards like a Freedom Unlimited and a Reserve is another good way to accumulate a pile of points you can have a lot of options with. It's only when people have very specific itineraries or loyalties where it makes more sense to focus your spending.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a Schwab referral code?

Think I'm gonna open a checking account.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Does anyone have a Schwab referral code?

Think I'm gonna open a checking account.

It's generic:
https://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/nn/refer-prospect.html

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Thanks!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I've been looking off and on recently for a card due to finally fixing my credit. Some old items fell off and I successfully completed a loan so my score is finally just medium bad instead of horrific.

My issue was that I've been denied for regular credit cards from Amazon/Banks and now have multiple hard inquiries on my credit. I gave up on the idea completely since I'm going to have a lean couple of months and planned on getting a secured card to start building my credit around October.

However I received a pre-approved offer for a Capital One Platinum card. I know that is just an invitation to apply and everything but reviews say they are just a regular kind-of-lovely starter card for people with lowish credit, so should I attempt to get approved for it and risk another hard inquiry?

Ideally this time next year i'd be min/maxing the reward cards or whatever so a 3-4 month head start would be pretty nice.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Membership Rewards: how long/what's it like getting points to post? I've got a few signup bonuses complete that I'm waiting on, showing as pending from May and June.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Nur_Neerg posted:

Membership Rewards: how long/what's it like getting points to post? I've got a few signup bonuses complete that I'm waiting on, showing as pending from May and June.

Usually along with the following month's statement. So you usually get May's at the end of June normally.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

VorpalBunny posted:

If you have the time and energy (and funds) to get into the credit card game, there is great value to be had in looking for solid sign-up bonuses for various cards. Over the past year, my husband and I have snagged elevated sign-up bonuses for Hilton, Venture, Delta and we're in the first year of Discover It, which matches their cashback bonus in the first year. You have to stay on top of your timelines, minimum spends, etc and pay off your bills every month, but the bonuses are pretty amazing and you can build a few solid trips out of the random stuff you acquire.

If you don't want to be bothered, finding a solid pair of earning cards like a Freedom Unlimited and a Reserve is another good way to accumulate a pile of points you can have a lot of options with. It's only when people have very specific itineraries or loyalties where it makes more sense to focus your spending.

Yeah I'm working on it, I think this is kind of our goal. Unfortunately it looks like I'm not eligible for the Sapphire Reserve bonus because you can't apply for it if you have a chase sapphire currently or have received a bonus in the past, which I did for the Sapphire Preferred like 6+ years ago. I may see if my wife can apply for it instead... Also not sure if we need to purchase 4k worth of stuff coming up so that may be a barrier. Any way around that bonus restriction besides having her apply? Also since you mentioned it - is the Freedom Unlimited better than the Freedom? I have that and keep up with updating my bonus categories, but it looks like the only difference is the Unlimited is a 1.5% flat bonus on everything?

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
I thought it was having received the sign up bonus within the last 24 months and not having the preferred card active when you apply.

I got the full 100k when I applied despite having received a similar bonus from the preferred when that came out. A banker inside of a branch should be able to confirm if you’re eligible.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Gotcha. I'll probably just call the Sapphire line and see what they say there.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Iron Lung posted:

it looks like the only difference is the Unlimited is a 1.5% flat bonus on everything?

You are correct.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Iron Lung posted:

is the Freedom Unlimited better than the Freedom? I have that and keep up with updating my bonus categories, but it looks like the only difference is the Unlimited is a 1.5% flat bonus on everything?

I have both, worst case I put the Freedom in a drawer if the quarterly category is of no use to me. Often there are random bonus point opportunities for the Freedom, I think it was 10x points at Best Buy in December, so we bought gift cards for later use. It can be easy to get caught up, buying gift cards you don't need or making excuses to buy stuff to get the bonus limits. Just be sure the cards you choose fit into your lifestyle and regular purchases. If you guys can rotate the Discover It card, the first year is cashback match which is essentially 10%. It starts every calendar year, so you can research it before you decide to apply in January. Rotating categories on that one as well.

My problem is I have multiple cards that cover the same categories (groceries, gas, restaurants, etc) so I have to calculate which card gives me the better return in the moment. My husband has given up trying to make sense of it, and just asks which card to use before his major purchases. It's easy to lose track of minimum spends and category maximizing. Just pick a few cards to start with, keep it simple, and you'll notice the benefits quickly.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
I'm looking to apply for a Amex Blue Cash Preferred soon - currently I have 4 credit cards, 2 of which I have no use for. My total revolving credit limit exceeds my annual income, so I was looking to cancel 1 or 2 of the cards I have eventually anyways. Should I apply for the new card before or after cancelling one of the old ones?

I'm worried if I don't cancel one first I'd get rejected since I have such a high credit limit compared to my income. Credit score is good though, ~800.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

drk posted:

I'm looking to apply for a Amex Blue Cash Preferred soon - currently I have 4 credit cards, 2 of which I have no use for. My total revolving credit limit exceeds my annual income, so I was looking to cancel 1 or 2 of the cards I have eventually anyways. Should I apply for the new card before or after cancelling one of the old ones?

I'm worried if I don't cancel one first I'd get rejected since I have such a high credit limit compared to my income. Credit score is good though, ~800.

I don't think they care about that. I have 8 credit cards with a total limit of like three times my grad student salary and American Express is constantly mailing me offers to sign up for a super deluxe card or take out an unsecured personal loan.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 3, 2018

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Seems like I was worried for nothing. They approved me, at a ridiculously high credit limit no less.

Is there general advice for whether there is value in keeping unused accounts open? Should I just leave them open and not care until I get rejected on new applications? Or, close accounts that haven't been used in 12 months or something? The accounts I'd consider closing don't have an annual fee, so there's no direct financial incentive to close them.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

drk posted:

Seems like I was worried for nothing. They approved me, at a ridiculously high credit limit no less.

Is there general advice for whether there is value in keeping unused accounts open? Should I just leave them open and not care until I get rejected on new applications? Or, close accounts that haven't been used in 12 months or something? The accounts I'd consider closing don't have an annual fee, so there's no direct financial incentive to close them.

If you close them they will continue to factor into the age of accounts on your credit reports for ~10 years, but if you keep them open it will help keep your overall utilization down (and continue aging for longer than said 10years).

I also recommend making a small transaction at least once a year on those otherwise-unused cards to keep them active.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a question about Rental Car Insurance provided by credit cards. Using the Citi Costco Card it says they pay up to $50,000 or the cost of the car, but we have to decline the rental companies insurance.

How does that all work? How does our car insurance play into the equation?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have a question about Rental Car Insurance provided by credit cards. Using the Citi Costco Card it says they pay up to $50,000 or the cost of the car, but we have to decline the rental companies insurance.

How does that all work? How does our car insurance play into the equation?

It’s the coverage for the car only not for damage to other cars or injuries caused. So if you’re at fault your insurance would cover the damage to the other car or injuries but the CC would cover damage to the rental companies car. Just decline all insurance at the counter and you’re covered.

Rental companies usually provide state minimum only for liability so it’s good to have your own car insurance.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Fairly certain using the rental company coverage for other cars/people should not negate using Citi for primary rental insurance, but double-check with them just in case.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Bentai posted:

Fairly certain using the rental company coverage for other cars/people should not negate using Citi for primary rental insurance, but double-check with them just in case.

They literally cannot remove liability from the car as it’s a law for it to be on there. As long as you decline collision/comp the CC covers it.

Also if you didn’t deny it, it’s not that you’d be on the hook because the car companies insurance would pay it — you just are paying extra for nothing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have 2 BoA credit cards, each with two 0% APR balance transfers. I'm seeing now that my monthly minimum payments are being made to the balance that expires LAST, which kind of defeats the purpose of 0% balance transfer promotions. FYI, I do not use these cards for purchases.

My experience with Discover and Citi with multiple 0% balances was that payments went to the earliest expiration first, which is how things should work. Is this just a company by company policy or is BoA illegally loving me?

There's an additional weird thing going on where my BoA account balances don't equal the total of the 0% balance transfers, and that difference fluctuates month to month and can be upwards of $90.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 10, 2018

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Josh Lyman posted:

I have 2 BoA credit cards, each with two 0% APR balance transfers. I'm seeing now that my monthly minimum payments are being made to the balance that expires LAST, which kind of defeats the purpose of 0% balance transfer promotions. FYI, I do not use these cards for purchases.

My experience with Discover and Citi with multiple 0% balances was that payments went to the earliest expiration first, which is how things should work. Is this just a company by company policy or is BoA illegally loving me?

There's an additional weird thing going on where my BoA account balances don't equal the total of the 0% balance transfers, and that difference fluctuates month to month and can be upwards of $90.

The gently caress? Your payments should go to the card you apply payment to.. Are they not? YOU should be controlling this - at least you do with Amex, Chase and Citi.

Call/chat support BoA. Also, gently caress BoA.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Josh Lyman posted:

What's the current balance showing? BOA has easily the worst credit card payment system ever and is pretty much close to useless.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I want to sign up for the Discover It card. Anyone have a referral link?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Shear Modulus posted:

I want to sign up for the Discover It card. Anyone have a referral link?

https://refer.discover.com/s/6acdo

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

https://refer.discover.com/s/4li4u

edit: bah, couldn't get the page to load on my phone.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
FYI Amazon is running a Prime Day special where you get a $5 credit if you purchase a gift card of $5 or more (max $5 per account).

The $5 only get credited into your account 2 days later and expire around September 2018, but still a good deal, especially if you have the Amazon Visa which makes it a $1.25 extra.

Not sure if you can get an extra $5 (+ $1.25) if your spouse uses their account to buy another card, but will try it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Xenoborg posted:

https://refer.discover.com/s/4li4u

edit: bah, couldn't get the page to load on my phone.
I grabbed yours, thanks!