Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

I thought Cassie had perished, at least as much as possible.

She got brought back in the recent Scott Lang Ant Man series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No she was a big part of the last ant man series, she went back to being a hero again though i can't remember what name she's going by now

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

She got brought back in the recent Scott Lang Ant Man series.

Nah, before that. Dr. Doom brought her back when he was inverted from SIXIS.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

site posted:

No she was a big part of the last ant man series, she went back to being a hero again though i can't remember what name she's going by now

Stinger.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Inkspot posted:

Stinger.

Which was also her MC2 name yes?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Dawgstar posted:

I thought Cassie had perished, at least as much as possible.

When Doctor Doom was made good during Axis, he felt bad about killing Cassie during the Children's Crusade and decided to bring her back with his magic.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Covok posted:

When Doctor Doom was made good during Axis, he felt bad about killing Cassie during the Children's Crusade and decided to bring her back with his magic.

Comics.txt

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

I really got a little bummed out when I was going to laud Marvel for going "We published a bad story that misused a character, so let's correct that" when in reality it's "Our most recent attempt to throw every single thing at the wall to see what sticks didn't give an adequate return on investement, so lets reset our assets to factory standard."

Like I can't remember who it was a couple months back who just had a page-long post about how they suspected corporate decisions are made in Marvel (and DC I'm sure), but lordy is it easy to believe them.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The CB Cebulski era is literally called "Marvel Fresh Start"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Teenage Fansub posted:

The CB Cebulski era is literally called "Marvel Fresh Start"

Round and round it goes! Faster and faster!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkYEJXN2QWk

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Jeremy Whitley rules, so bonus content from him is always welcome even with this comic existing at a weird intersection of 616 and MCU. The clunky advertising lingo aside, there were some fun bits in there!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Covok posted:

All the while evil Scarlet Witch was trying to kill him and blow up Latveria.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I was reading Marvel Two-in-One yesterday and this close-up of the Human Torch made me realize the weirdness of those lines on his face and body that he is drawn with. He’s got highly defined facial features and the typical lines drawn all across his face.

Originally Torch was drawn with lines across him I think as a way to depict how the fire was obscuring his features, while using the lines to give his shape some definition still. The obscuring of features is done in the same way that the shape of Mysterio’s head inside the fishbowl was suggested. The lines may have also been meant to depict the direction of the constantly rising flame and heat.

That’s a panel from FF #2 which just has the lines and Torch doesn’t have much definition otherwise (but then again it's not a close-up). Eventually Kirby or someone else kept the lines even as they started adding normal features to Torch and the result is that Torch ends up with flaming pumpkin face.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The lines are really weird. You can read them as a form of shading, which is fine, but then that shading has been integrated into the character's design such that he's still shaded that way even when the rest of the art isn't.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The end of Ms. Marvel was totally predictable, but still very :3:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Speaking of Beta Ray Bill (cross-posting from the animation thread), I just started the Simonson Thor run and man, that thing moves. At the end of the very first issue Bill has already become Thor and been ported up to Asgard. I hate that the issues up on MU are the digital recoloured versions but oh well, I'm still liking what I see so far. Especially after reading about 30+ issues prior to get some pre-Simonson context.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How's Lemire's Sentry?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Most of it is setup about Reynolds's life in New York and how Strange set the Sentry/Void up in a pocket universe (I had no idea about this, but I wasn't current on Sentry's story at all). The plot kicks in on the last few pages and there's a cliffhanger. If you're iffy on it I'd wait another issue or two to see where it's going.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

Speaking of Beta Ray Bill (cross-posting from the animation thread), I just started the Simonson Thor run and man, that thing moves. At the end of the very first issue Bill has already become Thor and been ported up to Asgard. I hate that the issues up on MU are the digital recoloured versions but oh well, I'm still liking what I see so far. Especially after reading about 30+ issues prior to get some pre-Simonson context.

You are in for all the treats.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dawgstar posted:

You are in for all the treats.

Is it collected anywhere with the original-ish colouring? I love MU and I said to myself I didn't need to buy any physical collections of Marvel anymore but I can make an exception.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

Is it collected anywhere with the original-ish colouring? I love MU and I said to myself I didn't need to buy any physical collections of Marvel anymore but I can make an exception.

Older printings of it, the first collection used the original colors I think.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

How's Lemire's Sentry?

just finished. it was okayish? doesnt really explain anything about how he is in his current circumstances and i know its the first issue and all but having just recently coming off and disliking pretty much everything that came before it didnt really give me a reason to care about sentry being a thing again

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

howe_sam posted:

The end of Ms. Marvel was totally predictable, but still very :3:

Wait, what was up with that random not-Infinity Stone Miles had? Is this from another comic? Seems like a weird thing to randomly introduce and drop in a single page there.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Lobok posted:

I was reading Marvel Two-in-One yesterday and this close-up of the Human Torch made me realize the weirdness of those lines on his face and body that he is drawn with. He’s got highly defined facial features and the typical lines drawn all across his face.

Originally Torch was drawn with lines across him I think as a way to depict how the fire was obscuring his features, while using the lines to give his shape some definition still. The obscuring of features is done in the same way that the shape of Mysterio’s head inside the fishbowl was suggested. The lines may have also been meant to depict the direction of the constantly rising flame and heat.

That’s a panel from FF #2 which just has the lines and Torch doesn’t have much definition otherwise (but then again it's not a close-up). Eventually Kirby or someone else kept the lines even as they started adding normal features to Torch and the result is that Torch ends up with flaming pumpkin face.

I had this toy as a kid. They gave him the lines on his face...

...but the rest of his body was:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Argue posted:

Wait, what was up with that random not-Infinity Stone Miles had? Is this from another comic? Seems like a weird thing to randomly introduce and drop in a single page there.

I thought the joke was that Miles thought he had one, but it clearly wasn't one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Esplanade posted:

Those are just the blading scars from his short-lived career in hardcore backyard wrestling.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thor's pretty good. The hammer gimmick feels so drat toyetic though

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Esplanade posted:

...but the rest of his body was:

Everyone's favourite superhero: The Human Wearing Tiger Pajamas with Mustard Splattered All Over Him

But yeah, those lines just look the weirdest wrinkles. Like he's been scrunching his forehead from his ears inward to his nose.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 28, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Please Marvel let Bowers and Sims have a Darkhawk book after this Infinity Countdown mini is over. And a Death's Head book. Or just a book with both is fine. It's my favorite thing going right now.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

I haven't seen this in years. This is Venom #3 that came out on Wednesday. At one point, Venom asks Miles Morales why the Avengers and the X-Men are not here when there is clearly such a big disturbance in New York. Miles explains that they're busy fighting celestials in Jason Aaron's Avengers. I seriously can't remember the last time Marvel explained why characters were not in the book by referencing an actual concurrent series. It sounds silly, but it really makes it feel like a shared universe when you explain why characters don't show up because their busy being in Other Stories.

I swear Marvel used to do this all the time and I am sad that they don't do it more.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I hadn't been keeping up on Weapon X but I just sat and read the first two trades and the crossover with Hulk. What a big bunch of nutty fun that series is. I'm strongly considering trying to catch up and start picking it up in floppies. Is Weapon H as good?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Covok posted:

I swear Marvel used to do this all the time and I am sad that they don't do it more.

Yeah. The annotations of 'see current issues of Avengers!' would even be welcome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wish they'd bring those back

"See latest Avengers! -Jazzin' Jason!"
"Last 'ish! - Cheerin' Chip!"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

tbh they're always fighting celestials

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
personally i fuckin hate those old editors note boxes

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Assistant Editors Months were the greatest things Marvel ever did.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

site posted:

*see last issue of Site, on sale now!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

I've mentioned it before that one of the reasons I liked Marvel as a kid is that they gave me a feeling I was reading something made by a person, rather than the abstract writer far removed from the work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

This is a real bad opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They cover up the art, (when in books) are generally used far too liberally, and the with advent of the internet are completely unnecessary

• Locked thread