Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Inspector 34 posted:

Guess I'll start Alex Verus then! How many books are in the series so far? Is it finished or on-going?

Ten or so books so far, next one comes out in a few days, author has said it will be finished in "a few" more books. Wouldn't surprise me if the series topped out at 12 books, maybe 14 max, it's very clearly moving to a conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

ALso I just did a search and apparently the "Shadow Police" / London Falling series has been discontinued (at least for now) due the publisher. So, no more books in that series. =(. Still three solid entries though.

I don't recommend it for people because it's far closer to actual horror than most people in this thread want most of the time.

There are three? I only knew about two!

Beachcomber posted:

Is it worth pushing through? I hated it and put it down.

I started, and stopped, the book twice. It was on my third try that I pushed through.

It was worth it, but god drat is the opening bad.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

ALso I just did a search and apparently the "Shadow Police" / London Falling series has been discontinued (at least for now) due the publisher. So, no more books in that series. =(. Still three solid entries though.

I don't recommend it for people because it's far closer to actual horror than most people in this thread want most of the time.

Wow! That loving sucks! They were just starting to get into the overarching story, and Who Killed Sherlock Holmes was an absolute banger.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

ConfusedUs posted:

I started, and stopped, the book twice. It was on my third try that I pushed through.

It was worth it, but god drat is the opening bad.

The first part of the first book takes a lot of time world-building in a very incoherent way. It wasn’t until my second read through that I could keep the characters straight.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

pseudonordic posted:

The first part of the first book takes a lot of time world-building in a very incoherent way. It wasn’t until my second read through that I could keep the characters straight.

That's deliberate, but something being deliberate doesn't always mean it's a good choice. You're meant to be as confused as they are and it unfortunately works.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Inspector 34 posted:

Guess I'll start Alex Verus then! How many books are in the series so far? Is it finished or on-going?

You should be warned that the way magic works in Verus is less consistent than it is in the original Dresden books with the efficacy and relative power of things swinging wildly from scene to scene. It slowly improves through the first three books, but not fast or consistently enough for me to push on to the fourth.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

LLSix posted:

You should be warned that the way magic works in Verus is less consistent than it is in the original Dresden books with the efficacy and relative power of things swinging wildly from scene to scene. It slowly improves through the first three books, but not fast or consistently enough for me to push on to the fourth.

I don’t remember this at all. Do you have a specific instance?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

LLSix posted:

Honestly, I'd be more worried about the fact the first book is pretty bad. They get a lot better, though.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The first Verus book seems fine compared to most other books in the genre. For example, Johannes Cabal might be more rewarding in successive books but the initial volume was one of the few instances where I felt cheated of my time in reading it. Then again I don't mind Storm Front or Full Moon so I may be in the minority on this point.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Any word on a release date for peace talks yet?

Big October / November - new Rivers and new Laundry - who else is due soon?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Daric posted:

I don't think it's so much actual inconsistency as there's no basis for comparison until several books in. As he repeatedly beats us over the head with, Alex is pretty weak in terms of raw power, so another mage being a serious threat to him doesn't actually tell us about the other mage since it seems any elemental mage is a threat to him. Hell, even adepts pose a significant threat to Alex.

Later, once Alex starts teaming up with other mages, a hierarchy starts to form, but even that's somewhat opaque because Alex's tactical strengths tip the scales a lot. And then there are cases of mages with powers that are pretty much undefined to the reader (Richard) but everyone is loving terrified of them.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Daric posted:

The first major use of Verus's magic is sorting through futures to figure out how to make Cinder choose not to attack him. Later in the same book, Verus is unable to see past a choice someone hasn't made yet.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

LLSix posted:

The first major use of Verus's magic is sorting through futures to figure out how to make Cinder choose not to attack him. Later in the same book, Verus is unable to see past a choice someone hasn't made yet.

That's explained I believe -- at several points he talks about how most people don't actually actively choose their actions, they just operate on rails based on their environment -- people have free will, but don't use it.

In that first conversation with Cinder Cinder is behaving predictably -- if X or Y happens, he WILL attack. He's not actually making a free choice, just reacting, and hence, he's predictable. Later on, he's facing people who are making considered "free" decisions, and that's not predictable in the same way. .

There is a little retconning in the later books and there are a couple of non-explainable magic plot holes later in the series that may be better examples for your case though In the second book he manages to hurt the dude who has wished for immunity from harm; the strength of his force-walls seems to vary entirely based on the needs of the plot.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

That's explained I believe -- at several points he talks about how most people don't actually actively choose their actions, they just operate on rails based on their environment -- people have free will, but don't use it.

In that first conversation with Cinder Cinder is behaving predictably -- if X or Y happens, he WILL attack. He's not actually making a free choice, just reacting, and hence, he's predictable. Later on, he's facing people who are making considered "free" decisions, and that's not predictable in the same way. .

There is a little retconning in the later books and there are a couple of non-explainable magic plot holes later in the series that may be better examples for your case though In the second book he manages to hurt the dude who has wished for immunity from harm; the strength of his force-walls seems to vary entirely based on the needs of the plot.

He also just straight up invents some kind of universal magic that every mage can use in the latest 2 books which contradicts a ton of the previous work since it literally never shows up or is mentioned until he wants to hide what kind of mage someone is for a reveal.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zore posted:

He also just straight up invents some kind of universal magic that every mage can use in the latest 2 books which contradicts a ton of the previous work since it literally never shows up or is mentioned until he wants to hide what kind of mage someone is for a reveal.

Eh, that falls under retconning I think. From the start there are certain things like detecting magic in items and using gate stones that he's established "any mage" can do, he just formalizes it later on.

I mean, the books are candy and he seems to be writing, like, one every six months, there are definitely some flaws, but :shrug:

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 30, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Eh, that falls under retconning I think. From the start there are certain things like detecting magic in items and using gate stones that he's established "any mage" can do, he just formalizes it later on.

I mean, the books are candy and he seems to be writing, like, one every six months, there are definitely some flaws, but :shrug:

Right but then Richard pops up and is shooting generic energy bolts and pulling up shields which is like explicitly something most mages cannot do but is handwaved as ' universal spells anyone can used'.

Which uh doesn't track with what Alex can do. At all.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 30, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zore posted:

Right but then Richard pops up and is shooting generic energy bolts and pulling up shields which is like explicitly something most mages cannot do but is handwaved as ' universal spells anyone can used'.

Which uh doesn't track with what Alex can do. At all.

Right, but Alex is also "what the gently caress" about it, it's very clear that somehow Richard is breaking the rules and that's the point. (Presumably with something he got from the alien dimension he traveled to) (My guess: he Harvested a Djinn or something)

(I added spoiler tags to your post because for some reason we've been doing that)

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 30, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Right, but Alex is also "what the gently caress" about it, it's very clear that somehow Richard is breaking the rules and that's the point. (Presumably with something he got from the alien dimension he traveled to) (My guess: he Harvested a Djinn or something)

(I added spoiler tags to your post because for some reason we've been doing that)

Just flagging you missed it in the quote :v:

And the way I read it Alex was surprised he was so effective with items and generic spells, not that he could do it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Zore posted:

Just flagging you missed it in the quote :v:

And the way I read it Alex was surprised he was so effective with items and generic spells, not that he could do it.

zing

Ok, yeah, I see how you could read it that way. My take was that Alex isn't surprised by anything Richard does, because he's richard-whipped; if Richard suddenly grew four extra arms, Alex would just accept it

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
And since we don’t know yet, Richard may be using a ton of items and one offs that his minions make.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I fell off the Laundry wagon a few books ago - what has been happening with it most recently?

Has it regrown its sense of humour or is it still all dreary and glum?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I fell off the Laundry wagon a few books ago - what has been happening with it most recently?

Has it regrown its sense of humour or is it still all dreary and glum?

Not sure where you stopped, but Bob is the Eater of Souls now...sorta, evil elves from another dimension invaded and are now claiming asylum, Nyarlathotep is now in charge of the Laundry.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, poo poo is super dark now. The lightheartedness of the earlier novels is gone. Which is a good thing. It was appropriate for the early books, but as poo poo gets ratcheted up, it’s time to leave that behind and buckle down.

Wxhode
Mar 29, 2016

by R. Guyovich

M_Gargantua posted:

And since we don’t know yet, Richard may be using a ton of items and one offs that his minions make.

Well his gateways, defensive shield, and offensive multi-whip spells weren’t from this source.

Wxhode
Mar 29, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Nah, harvesting as presented with Deleo makes you stronger at your existing magic, it doesn’t give you the magic type of the thing you harvested or broaden your capabilities.

Richard found an alternate reality where people (or things) just have a more sophisticated/flexible and generalized method of magic, which he learned. The actual power level of what he does is not exceptional.

Wxhode fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 30, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Wxhode posted:

Nah, harvesting as presented with Deleo makes you stronger at your existing magic, it doesn’t give you the magic type of the thing you harvested or broaden your capabilities.

Richard found an alternate reality where people (or things) just have a more sophisticated/flexible and generalized method of magic, which he learned. The actual power level of what he does is not exceptional.

Did they actually spell out what benefit harvesting provides? The only thing I remember Alex knowing about it is that it
a) made you more powerful
b) made you crazy

Wxhode
Mar 29, 2016

by R. Guyovich

LLSix posted:

Did they actually spell out what benefit harvesting provides? The only thing I remember Alex knowing about it is that it
a) made you more powerful
b) made you crazy

More power, some fraction of what the harvested person had. Rachel was a weak water mage. Deleo is a powerful water mage.

The ice dude would have been a more powerful ice dude, not the same plus impressive clothing weaving abilities.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

hangedman1984 posted:

Not sure where you stopped, but Bob is the Eater of Souls now...sorta, evil elves from another dimension invaded and are now claiming asylum, Nyarlathotep is now in charge of the Laundry.

The last one I read is the one where Mo is the viewpoint character.

Wxhode
Mar 29, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Wheat Loaf posted:

The last one I read is the one where Mo is the viewpoint character.

There are two after that. They’re better.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

They are not less bleak and depressing, though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

fortunately it's not "they own the rights and inexplicably decided to sit on them", it's "they decided not to commission any more from Cornell"

so he's doing other stuff (including Lychford, which is pretty fun if not nearly as dark) for a bit

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Steven Brust's "The Good Guys" is as solid as anything else in this genre and we should start recommending it to people more frequently. Pity it seems to be a one-off.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I didn’t like it much.

I love Brust but Good Guys didn’t do it for me.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

I didn’t like it much.

I love Brust but Good Guys didn’t do it for me.

Yeah, it was like 20 Palaces, but worse in every respect

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

cultureulterior posted:

Yeah, it was like 20 Palaces, but worse in every respect

Actively wishing more bad things would happen to every character in the book?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Actively wishing more bad things would happen to every character in the book?

I really disliked the main detective dude. He was a dick, and his weird verbal tick "PO-lice" was obnoxious as hell.

The two female characters were alright, but underwritten. I feel I never got to know them well.

The only character I liked was the non-magical mercenary dude. He was awesome.

Wxhode
Mar 29, 2016

by R. Guyovich
New Alex Verus dropped today.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
It happened to drop the first day of my vacation. I’m already halfway done...

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Wxhode posted:

This owns. The books are pretty short, but I'm glad that he is able to put them out on a consistent schedule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wxhode posted:

I started it last night and stayed up way too late reading it.

I'm about halfway done, maybe a bit less.

It's pretty good, but every Verus book is pretty good.