Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Deified Data posted:

Probably gonna need some help with Emil's Determination

I've tried for about an hour and cannot get the quest to trigger. I've gotten all the weapons to level 4 (saw the trophy pop too), finished Emil's Memories and beat him the first time to get the heads weapon. I see that the quest is supposed to appear at the old mall and it's not - I've tried to find it in several different chapters with every character.

What am I missing?

Check your email?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
That did it, thanks.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Got the plat, only one I bought was the pod upgrade trophy since I did not feel like collecting all that fresh water. This was a tremendously good game and I'm sad it's over.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Deified Data posted:

Got the plat, only one I bought was the pod upgrade trophy since I did not feel like collecting all that fresh water. This was a tremendously good game and I'm sad it's over.

Have you played the first one? I felt the same way and so I picked up Nier 1. It’s not as good gameplay but the world and music are still top notch.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think I might even like the music in the first one better.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Is there any form of fast travel? I just got to the Sartre/Jean-Claude guy in the robot village and it seems that all my quests are to walk across the entire map for 20 minutes to talk to a guy and then return to the original guy, sometimes repeated a couple times

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is there any form of fast travel? I just got to the Sartre/Jean-Claude guy in the robot village and it seems that all my quests are to walk across the entire map for 20 minutes to talk to a guy and then return to the original guy, sometimes repeated a couple times

Yep, there is. Mainline the story for a little while, it'll unlock transportation between save stations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

King of Solomon posted:

Yep, there is. Mainline the story for a little while, it'll unlock transportation between save stations.

Game is Good again!!!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, I don't believe there are any side quests you can miss that appear before fast travel unlocks so just follow the big dot on the map. You still need to run to future fast travel points to unlock them of course.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Outstanding.

Also, I want to make sure I understand the saving and death mechanic. I saved my game, walked into the desert and got instantly annihilated by some level 30+ thing in that arena where I fought the naked man(?) once. I can't reclaim my body because it's under the heel of the giant robot.

But I can just load my save, right?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think I might even like the music in the first one better.

I can't even think of the two as separate soundtracks, it's really more like a double sized super soundtrack to me.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Outstanding.

Also, I want to make sure I understand the saving and death mechanic. I saved my game, walked into the desert and got instantly annihilated by some level 30+ thing in that arena where I fought the naked man(?) once. I can't reclaim my body because it's under the heel of the giant robot.

But I can just load my save, right?

You can always reload a save. The whole Dark Souls bloodstain thing is only if you want to continue without reloading.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah, the whole "soul stain" collecting is just a quickload-shortcut, you can always save (savepoint availability provided) and load from any of the three slots to your hearts content and the game will generally not autosave over your only permanent saveslot. You only gently caress yourself over if you die, die again to lose your chips and THEN save over all of your previous saves.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Excellent. I feel like I'm still quite early on, but do you guys have any newbie pointers as far as ways to spend my materials and cash? Only weapon I've upgraded is the one freebie during the quest to unlock the weapon shop.

I am missing a lot of types of materials but I can't tell what's possible to get now or have to hope for later.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Very early game i did a bit of fishing to sell for easy money, generally to get the max chip capacity upgrades first. 2Bs default white swords get an attack speed increase at upgrade level 3, so they're extremely solid weapons to upgrade (arguably the best, but others have some fun gimmicks). All the items marked as "sell for money" in their description are safe to do so -- machine cores go up in value throughout the game but money becomes less important, so don't hesitate to sell some when you need to to buy something urgent. You can try using some of the temp booster items, but if you find them too bothersome you can sell those too. You can use shops and drop rate chips you get later in the game to get materials much easier and faster, so i wouldn't grind too early in the game, you generally get materials and chips from sidequests anyway.

You can charge your pod special attacks (longer if you have more pods) and switch stuff using the dpad. The minimap is useful to spot enemies or passages, while the larger map can be rotated to roughly estimate the height of an objective marker.

Don't forget to pet your pod.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 29, 2018

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Excellent. I feel like I'm still quite early on, but do you guys have any newbie pointers as far as ways to spend my materials and cash? Only weapon I've upgraded is the one freebie during the quest to unlock the weapon shop.

I am missing a lot of types of materials but I can't tell what's possible to get now or have to hope for later.

From what I can remember, the material distribution was kinda wonky, especially for pods. It took a LONG time for me to get any of my pods upgraded.

One of my criticisms of the game is that the weapons didn't really do a good job differentiating themselves from one another. So, I don't think you really need to worry about finding the _best_ weapon or anything like that. Just pick something that looks cool and has good buffs. Virtuous Treaty/Contract are good choices because they're 2B's iconic swords but you can use whatever you feel like. Honestly, the primary reason to upgrade weapons is to unlock weapon stories.

One note on cash is that you might want to save selling junk materials, because they're worth more on Route C.

Emil sells some good upgrade materials, but his inventory depends on where you stop his cart. He has the rarest stuff if you shoot him down near the resistance camp, but it's always worth checking him out when you run into him anywhere.

You can't really screw yourself over or miss anything* so don't stress.

*There's one thing you can miss in a sidequest that you get after upgrading every single weapon to maximum. When you get there come back to this thread and we'll tell you what to do.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Have you played the first one? I felt the same way and so I picked up Nier 1. It’s not as good gameplay but the world and music are still top notch.

Yep, played that one on a whim years ago and loved it enough to get all the endings at least. Who knows, maybe a hard mode playthrough is in my future someday.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Emil sells some good upgrade materials, but his inventory depends on where you stop his cart. He has the rarest stuff if you shoot him down near the resistance camp, but it's always worth checking him out when you run into him anywhere.
He doesn't actually travel between the different areas where he has different stock when he spawns, though. If he's not near the camp, he won't GO near the camp to be stopped and sopped from.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

I attempted hard mode for the first time last night, not counting toggling Normal to Hard at Lv99 which is still a joke, and died within the first 5 minutes. I was not expecting such a large difficulty gap.

Zereth posted:

He doesn't actually travel between the different areas where he has different stock when he spawns, though. If he's not near the camp, he won't GO near the camp to be stopped and sopped from.

I think some of his routes straddle two areas and he has different stock depending on where you stop him. Stopping him near the waterfall near camp is safe, whereas stopping him by the ramps near the road toward the factory is bad because he lands in the other area.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

There’s a definite point of no return in regards to sidequests that could be telegraphed better (minor spoilers)when they send you to the coastbut nothing is permanently missable except the hardest ending. One of the shops in the resistance camp sells expansions for your chip loadouts, that’s more or less the only thing I wish I knew.

Oh, and there are an handful of sidequests that have absurdly high leveled enemies, you have a chance to do those later when you’re property leveled for them on the New Game+.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Re the above spoiler, the somewhat annoying actual point of no return is talking to Anemone after talking to Pascal after completing the Forest Kingdom. But yeah, not much is actually missable because after beating the game you get Chapter Select

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oh man this Route B poo poo is crazy and awesome.

I only get one weapon this time though. Any recommendation for a fun and cool single weapon? I just got to the forest blacksmith so I can make something level 4.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

weapons with critical + totally melt everything. I used Ancient Overlord and almost never needed to hack

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I didn’t really stick with a single weapon but I generally used spears with 9S so I could javelin some robits. And the perfect dodge counter is a decent AOE.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Kibayasu posted:

And the perfect dodge counter is a decent AOE.

Uh oh! I don't know what this means! Is there a certain type of plug in I should definitely be using? I'll be honest, I've only equipped plus weapon damage, plus drop rate, and plus evade range before.

If there are some extremely good and important plug ins I should use, do let me know!

(I'll also admit I don't know what weapons mean when they say combo l4h2 or whatever... I just spam X and Y a lot :downs:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Uh oh! I don't know what this means! Is there a certain type of plug in I should definitely be using? I'll be honest, I've only equipped plus weapon damage, plus drop rate, and plus evade range before.

If there are some extremely good and important plug ins I should use, do let me know!

(I'll also admit I don't know what weapons mean when they say combo l4h2 or whatever... I just spam X and Y a lot :downs:

Dodge counter is just the attack you use immediately out of dodge, I think. L4H2 is almost certainly "light 4, heavy 2" So the weapon has a 4 hit light combo and a 2 hit heavy combo.

E: Also, if you hit heavy immediately out of a jump you'll do a rising heavy, which is really cool and a good way to get fun air combos. :)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Gotcha. I had thought it meant "hit x this many times then u this many times" during route A, but 9S doesn't even have a secondary attack button so do I just spam Attack to do the combos?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

lets hang out posted:

weapons with critical + totally melt everything. I used Ancient Overlord and almost never needed to hack

Cypress Stick all the way. Get that baby fully upgraded and it destroys everything through the endgame.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

9S's combo is left trigger + Y.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Gotcha. I had thought it meant "hit x this many times then u this many times" during route A, but 9S doesn't even have a secondary attack button so do I just spam Attack to do the combos?

Yeah 9S only has a light attack. And what I meant by “javelin” is that you can hold down the light attack button to do a charge attack. In the case of spears 9S will throw it like, well, a spear. So it’s kind of a heavier light attack.

And a perfect dodge counter is an attack you can do immediately after getting a perfect dodge (when you get the slowdown and screen effects). In the case of spears it will spin it around the character and if the enemies are small they may even get knocked away. The pod even has a dodge counter, press the fire button after a dodge and it will fire a small explosive.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

9s has heavy attacks, they start if you delay your light attack input in a combo or attack out of a dodge.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Nier 1 questions:

I'm near the end of the game. What will transfer to NG+? Completed sidequests? If I started a sidequest but didn't finish it, will I have to start it again? How about my garden? Progress in the DLC?

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Nier 1 questions:

I'm near the end of the game. What will transfer to NG+? Completed sidequests? If I started a sidequest but didn't finish it, will I have to start it again? How about my garden? Progress in the DLC?

In NieR 1, I hope you've been in the habit of completing quests as soon as possible because New Game+ only lets you redo the second half of the game after the timeskip

Completed sidequests - yes
Uncompleted sidequests - You will have to restart
Garden - no lol

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I knew it only let you restart after part 1 so I think I'm good.

I don't think I'm going for 100% but I'm gonna get at least some of my weapons fully upgraded.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I don't think I'm going for 100% but I'm gonna get at least some of my weapons fully upgraded.

Good luck with that... The grind in NieR 1 is really terrible. I maybe hit level 3 on a weapon or two, but screw farming materials for the best weapons like Phoenix set. gently caress eagle eggs.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I don’t know why, but I find Emil in Automata absolutely hilarious.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Emil was one shotting me at level 50 so I abandoned that. Hope I can fight him in Route C!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Pesmerga posted:

I don’t know why, but I find Emil in Automata absolutely hilarious.

Probably because he’s an endless beacon of sunshine and hope I’m a crappy, war torn world, and he’s strapped to a cart.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

i am tim! posted:

Probably because he’s an endless beacon of sunshine and hope in a crappy, war torn world, and he’s strapped to a cart.

just like Video Games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Getting Cypress was a pain but very worth it, for the cosmetic changes alone

EDIT who the gently caress did this to my av!!!

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 1, 2018