Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I just wish the speakers on the 2XL weren't terrible. My Nexus 6P sounds great while my 2XL has the issue many others complain about which is the clipping/rattle or whatever coming from the top one that makes it nearly useless at certain frequency's. Not bad enough to warrant me trying to gamble the RMA process but still a bummer.

That and the implementation of them on the 2XL, I know due to size and position limitations, is pretty bad. It vibrates a lot of the back of the phone and makes it also kinda odd to hold when its at high volume. The Nexus 6P (and I am assuming the Pixel 2 non XL) don't have this problem and probably also sound better because of it.

When it works as its supposed to though, FF Speakers are the best for clarity and stereo separation you can't get from a single downward facing shooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Never been with a group of friends and want to quickly share some video or been sitting in the couch at home and want to watch a quick 3 minute video without putting on headphones? Those are the use cases that make it nice.

I'm not really talking about playing stuff in public.

Honestly? No. And if I'm on the couch at home I just cast to the TV. I'm not alone enough, obviously - if I'm at home my wife's usually there and if I'm out I'm either at work, cycling, or actively hanging out with friends at a bar or something.

I'm not knocking anyone's use case for them, I was just seriously curious since I couldn't imagine a scenario when I'd use the speakers other than alarms and phone calls. Just to reiterate I'm not mad at speakers and I'm sure other people use them.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

SuperiorColliculus posted:

Honestly? No. And if I'm on the couch at home I just cast to the TV. I'm not alone enough, obviously - if I'm at home my wife's usually there and if I'm out I'm either at work, cycling, or actively hanging out with friends at a bar or something.

I'm not knocking anyone's use case for them, I was just seriously curious since I couldn't imagine a scenario when I'd use the speakers other than alarms and phone calls. Just to reiterate I'm not mad at speakers and I'm sure other people use them.

You are me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

I just wish the speakers on the 2XL weren't terrible. My Nexus 6P sounds great while my 2XL has the issue many others complain about which is the clipping/rattle or whatever coming from the top one that makes it nearly useless at certain frequency's. Not bad enough to warrant me trying to gamble the RMA process but still a bummer.

That and the implementation of them on the 2XL, I know due to size and position limitations, is pretty bad. It vibrates a lot of the back of the phone and makes it also kinda odd to hold when its at high volume. The Nexus 6P (and I am assuming the Pixel 2 non XL) don't have this problem and probably also sound better because of it.

When it works as its supposed to though, FF Speakers are the best for clarity and stereo separation you can't get from a single downward facing shooter.

Oh no. The non-XL Pixel 2 definitely has this problem.

I checked around on Google's own forums and many people complained about it but it's only the XL that gets the attention for it because it's the one everyone apparently bought the most because bezels, I guess (and the black/white color).

Either way, the P2 (non-XL) I got in October 2017 had this issue about a month or so after I received it. I played the lottery roulette though because it started getting really bad. Replaced it in March 2018 with a refurb, it developed the same issue in May 2018 and I was sent another refurb. This one had lose parts inside of the phone or something so I sent that back, got a refund, and here I am.

Everyone poo poo on LG for being LG and having a crap screen but it seems like a lot of people thought the HTC-made Pixel 2 was without issue and it just wasn't. The Google Store supposedly took my phone into their QC thing to test it after I sent back the rattly refurb. Who knows.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SuperiorColliculus posted:

Huh, I guess I just literally never watch things on my phone.

I'm not even sure where/why I would do that in a place where it wouldn't piss off everyone around me

Still not objecting to chin

Same, Superior Colliculus, same.

sharkytm posted:

I listen to stuff on my phone constantly when I'm alone. Videos, podcasts, music, etc... I eat breakfast with my phone propped up in the center of my kitchen table, watching nerdy stuff. Stereo speakers were something I didn't understand until I had them and used them. Now I really have trouble considering a phone without them. It's like cruise control. If you live in the city and are always in traffic, then you don't understand why people want it. If you do a lot of highway driving, it's a required feature.

I have Google Homes everywhere so if I'm going to listen to a podcast or music I use those, and my MacBook or a Chromecast if I'm going to watch a (long) video.

I definitely get that I'm not everyone, but I also see Superior Colliculus' position in that I've never cared about the speakers on my phone.

Mister Facetious posted:

And many people in both the forums and podcasts alike are of the opinion that if you're going to have a bezel, stick a speaker in it.

Sarah Koenig can't tell me what to do with my bezels! Though now that I'm seeing some of these bezels maybe I should seek Aaron Mahnke's opinion.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 28, 2018

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So far, if the renders hold up to truth, I'll probably be going with the regular Pixel3. The screen is still really big, and I'm not a fan of the notch. Also: I got new glasses, so my OG XL screen feels like I'm at an IMAX movie all the time.

But also: whichever one is made by LG is probably going to get a miss.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
Notch doesn't bother me as much even though i don't have one. If the phone has 16:8 res. It wouldn't take up any functional part of the screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AlexDeGruven posted:

But also: whichever one is made by LG is probably going to get a miss.

Both are being made by Foxconn and both will have LG panels.

Now what are you going to do?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Verge posted:

If the phone has 16:8 res...
Ugh, it got smaller? I thought after 16:9, 18:9 was the new hotness.

it's a joke, you see

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The Merkinman posted:

Ugh, it got smaller? I thought after 16:9, 18:9 was the new hotness.

it's a joke, you see

I'm more of a fan of 16:8.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The jokes don't work here since the 3xl would be a 19:9 display.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I saw a pixel XL in the wild and I very much miss the extremely functional design

gently caress camera humps, we made the phone thicker on the top

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I did not like the camera design on the OG Pixel at all since the lens shared with the back glass. It would be very easy for cosmetic damage to frag the camera.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Incessant Excess posted:

I'd be more forgiving towards the design of the Pixel if it weren't one of the most expensive phones on the market.

All of the high end phones seem to have gone full gimmick these days, even Apple with the X

I really do think they Nokia 6.1 and 7 plus are the best niceset designs currently on the market - the 6.1 reminds me of my beloved Nexus 6P and the 7 plus has gone 18:9 with just curved corners and no other gimmicks.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I want a phone with a top and bottom notch so I can watch basically everyone's heads explode simultaneously.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I just want a 4:3 display, a kickstand, stereo speakers and a notification LED.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sextro posted:

I just want a 4:3 display, a kickstand,

:chanpop:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

Both are being made by Foxconn and both will have LG panels.

Now what are you going to do?

LG panel != LG SOC. LG makes a drat fine display, and Apple uses Foxconn, so I'm good.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

AlexDeGruven posted:

LG makes a drat fine display

They should've put one of those in the 2XL then.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

elmer chud posted:

Someone in this thread had brought up an app called Simple Control. It works by setting a spot on the edge of your screen that, when touched, brings up a navigation bar where you touched. It has massively changed the way I use my phone and completely eliminates this problem.

Give Pie Controls a try. I feel like it's got a better flow as a gesture while Simple Control if I remember correctly takes like two taps to do anything. It's also much more customizable. The same developer made a Pie app, but I like the one by Manuel Wrage better.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jigoku posted:

Give Pie Controls a try. I feel like it's got a better flow as a gesture while Simple Control if I remember correctly takes like two taps to do anything. It's also much more customizable. The same developer made a Pie app, but I like the one by Manuel Wrage better.

I remember when this was in the AOSP Browser or was that just on CyanogenMod? Saved me from having to reach all the way up to the top of my Nexus One, that's all I know.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Sextro posted:

Also, physical keyboard, microSD and removable battery. Wait a minute... https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/06/27/blackberry-key2-review-one-unique-phones-around-comes-short-awesome/ :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AlexDeGruven posted:

LG panel != LG SOC.

LG doesn't make SoCs.

The bootloop issue was caused marginal solder jobs on the logic board combined with poor thermal management on the Snapdragon itself that could be further exasperated by poor thermal management in the phone.

So, it was part manufacturing defect on the logic board, part design defect in the device itself, kind of a lovely Snapdragon generation, with a dash of poor software optimization thrown in. LG wasn't actually the only manufacturer hit by the problem (there were many reports of the 6p bootlooping, Moto X Pure bootlooping, etc) but the incident rate was higher with LG because one of the other factors might have been mitigated a bit better in other phones.

Here's the thing. Just because Foxconn is assembling the final phone, we don't necessarily know who's building the logic boards. Even in LG's case with the prior generations that had problems, they may not have built the logic boards in house and it may have come down to a problem with a subcontractor.

So embrace the phone's two year warranty and don't worry about it. You aren't going to be able to predict future failure rates based on the names associated with undefined parts of the device.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 29, 2018

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sextro posted:

What phone doesn't have a notification LED? It's been on every phone I've ever had. I wouldn't buy one that doesn't haven't it.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the deal with the devil results in a phone with a notification led, except that led is also a front facing flash and it only has one very high brightness setting

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I remember when this was in the AOSP Browser or was that just on CyanogenMod? Saved me from having to reach all the way up to the top of my Nexus One, that's all I know.

It was first in the AOSP browser and then in like the Paranoid Android ROM or something. There are now multiple apps that do it in the Play Store. It's still my favorite way to use a smartphone.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Taffer posted:

What phone doesn't have a notification LED? It's been on every phone I've ever had. I wouldn't buy one that doesn't haven't it.

G5+

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Took me a while to get used to it, but I like how the lock screen comes on when it senses movement or light so I just need to look at it to check for missed calls etc, no need to unlock.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
Google gives me the impression that they've been trying to move away from notification lights for some time, what with some of their own phones not even taking advantage of the RGB aspect of the notification light and sometimes but even using it at all except to indicate a huge error, which is more of a BIOS thing anyway.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I want something that's basically the phone out of Wall Street. With a headphone jack.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Taffer posted:

A ton?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I suspect people think it's missing on a lot of phones where it's actually present but just off by default

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Took me a while to get used to it, but I like how the lock screen comes on when it senses movement or light so I just need to look at it to check for missed calls etc, no need to unlock.

I like it.

Having the flash come on if it's in my hoodie pocket and I'm jogging across the street is still annoying though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is there anyway to turn off this forced "phone requires password after 72 hours" lockscreen? Cause it happens way more often than that.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

docbeard posted:

I want something that's basically the phone out of Wall Street. With a headphone jack.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZ95P7S

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Is there anyway to turn off this forced "phone requires password after 72 hours" lockscreen? Cause it happens way more often than that.

No, because it's good security practice to occasionally prompt for password/pin like that.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nice, but I don't think I could quite see that from space.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The always on display of my Pixel 2 made a notification LED completely unnecessary to me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It still has it's place for me, a flashing indicator is easier to notice across the room than an additional tiny grey icon under the clock.

The Moto phones coped better since the display would breath on and off only if there was a notification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

My phone is always in my pocket, in my hand, or I'm asleep so I think notification Leds are stupid and no one should have them or use their phones differently or live their life differently from me.