Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Surely it's about Chris turning out well despite his upbringing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
How does the encounter with the elderly neighbor go if you've not done things that draw attention to what a wreck the dad is?

She reacts to stuff like you putting out the beer cans to be recycled, mentioning that you've been tidying things up around the house and shoveling the snow from the steps of the front porch. Does she always notice that something's amiss with this boy's home-life and that he ought to be removed from there for his own sake? I suspect that the answer to this question is most likely "Hella yes." because the dad needs to get angry with Chris so that he runs off in tears and the demo ends with him falling from the tree house. But maybe I'm wrong. It would be neat if there was a secret ending where social services don't come swooping in and Chris never has the accident which leads to him discovering his powers...

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 28, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Pretty sure he'll always run off in tears, but the first time I (accidentally) finished it, I somehow convinced her we were ok despite actively trying to convince her we weren't ok. She even had a whole conversation with Chris about sending her son over to help fix up the treehouse, then just made sure to stress that she was always next door if Chris ever needed a place to stay.

No question the dad is a wreck but I'm wondering if Mrs. Reynolds is also bad. When you try to phone her you just get this weird creepy breathing sound on her line. Complete speculation, but paired with that random call from the church, I wonder if she's part of that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I didn't get that weird phone conversation with Mrs. Reynolds at all, she just said it was nice to see Chris playing in the treehouse.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I didn't get that weird phone conversation with Mrs. Reynolds at all, she just said it was nice to see Chris playing in the treehouse.

It happens if you try calling after Charles (Chris' dad) falls asleep, but I assumed it was just somebody who somehow accidentally picked up the phone in their sleep. While it is possible to complete all the objectives the game sets out for you in a single playthrough, there are certain scenes that will change/only happen depending on how early or late you try to do them.

But otherwise, as far as I can tell there's only one ending to the game (the dad reacts exactly the same no matter what you say to Mrs. Reynolds and I've tried all 3 dialogue options). Assuming Chris won't be our protagonist going forward (the end kind of makes you think otherwise though but it could just as easily be one of the neighbors as well), I'm curious what kind of consequences this particular game is going to have in LiS 2 now.

I wonder if it's ever going to be explained what's up with kids in Oregon suddenly being granted weird superpowers out of nowhere (Rachel's an airbender, Chloe gets vague prophecies through her dreams, Max is a Time Lord and now either Chris or the neighbor boy appear to have some kind of telekinetic power).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 28, 2018

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Also whoever killed that cop probably has superpowers too. I hope LiS 2 is that one really disconnected Stranger Things S2 episode.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

when did it become accepted that Rachel has air powers that she literally never uses.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Episode 3 when the fire mysteriously goes out of its own accord when she gets made unconscious. It's not really that great a proof.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It's just a metaphor. A metaphor! A metaphor.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

It's just a metaphor. A metaphor! A metaphor.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think the game intentionally tries to make it ambiguous if it's just a metaphor or if there's something else supernatural going on with Rachel. It's funny people would be so quick to dismiss it as just a metaphor seeing as how there's literally spirit animals and a person who gains time travel powers. She clearly has no idea herself she can do any of that stuff if it is supernatural

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 28, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, there's the Banshee scream she makes in Episode 1 that seems to stir the wind up, at the end of Episode 2 the flames on the candles start getting larger the angrier she gets (as well as everything else around her becoming muted) and in Episode 3 you can hear the firefighters in the hospital talking about how the wildfire suddenly extinguished itself not long after Rachel was stabbed and taken to the hospital. It seems pretty clear that something supernatural was going on even if Rachel herself wasn't consciously aware of it.

As for Chloe's somewhat prophetic dreams, it's not entirely clear whether there was actually something a little special about her or if the raven was influencing her mind somehow (possibly the latter seeing as she starts to fall asleep almost immediately after said raven passes overhead in Episode 2). Though then again, it's heavily implied that she becomes a spirit animal herself during the Sacrifice Chloe ending in the original (the blue butterfly) much like how Rachel was the doe (this one was at least confirmed by the developers) and her dad was the raven.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 28, 2018

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
"I need a password so my son doesn't get into my phone."

"I know! What about that character he loves!"

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
"It's just a metaphor," Max said.

Chloe watched in horror as the bodies of her loved ones were tossed around like rag dolls by cold winds and stung by harsh rain. The screams of the dying faintly heard underneath the din of destruction and the roar of the storm.

"A metaphor! A metaphor."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If Chris isn't the main character of LiS 2 he's probably at least going to be the sidekick or something as otherwise what kind of consequences would the events of Captain Spirit actually have in Season 2?

My guess so far is that Chris winds up running away (which would explain the backpack which can apparently be decorated with stickers, something we see Chris likes to do around his house), presumably with the neighbor boy we see in the end (hell, collecting stickers could be the new equivalent of photos/graffiti this time around). The game would involve the two of them traveling together and learning some hard truths about the world, and of course getting in way over their heads.

Along the way Chris will either find out what it means to be a real hero and/or he'll fall into the same trap Max did and wind up a broken shell of a human being by the end. If the power this time is indeed some form of telekinesis that could possibly make for some slightly more complex puzzles to solve. Traveling around could also mean that we won't be limited to one town or even one state and could potentially have some adventures elsewhere (like Seattle for example).

It'd have a different feel from what we're used to from Life is Strange of course but I think they could possibly make it work. We'll know for sure by August at any rate.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 29, 2018

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

can a 10 year old really travel though

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

can a 10 year old really travel though

I figured they'd hop a train or something as alluded to in one of the things you can read in this game. I get the feeling that travel is most likely going to be part of the next game regardless of who the protagonist winds up being though.

Also Chris has family issues and an adventurous spirit, he'd fit right into the mold left by Chloe and Rachel before him.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 29, 2018

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
From https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/19/the-awesome-adventures-of-captain-spirit-preview-and-interview-life-is-strange-too-7644552/

quote:

GC: So is Captain Spirit classified as a prequel to Life Is Strange 2?

LB: Hmm… I wouldn’t say that. We’ve kept the same team to create Life Is Strange 2, as Life Is Strange 1, and when we began to think about Life Is Strange 2 we created a new story and new characters and Captain Spirit and Chris is one of them. So it’s more an introduction to the Life Is Strange 2 story. And also, as it is free, it’s a perfect introduction to the type of game we are creating. As not all players know about adventure games or are not interested, so the idea was to show what the type of game we want to create is.

GC: Will Chris be in the actual sequel itself?

LB: Yeah, he will be one of… in the story.

GC: You almost said too much then!

LB: [laughs]

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

LoseHound posted:

Chloe watched in horror as the bodies of her loved ones were tossed around like rag dolls by cold winds and stung by harsh rain. The screams of the dying faintly heard underneath the din of destruction and the roar of the storm.

We are still talking about that fantastic twister, whose appearance, disappearance and even its movement speed towards the bay is entirely guided by the progression in the narrative?

Although that scene would be quite something. I can't remember, if the characters were even able to break the fourth wall during the story.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 30, 2018

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

Tragedienne posted:

"I need a password so my son doesn't get into my phone."

"I know! What about that character he loves!"

And were you able to figure that out by yourself?

If your answer to that question is no then don't knock it, it worked.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What if Chloe's death wasn't fated, but rather, Rachel using her powers from beyond the grave in order to bring Chloe back to her

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

LoseHound posted:

I love this.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Interesting, I wonder if that means that LiS 2 will have more than one playable character then (I imagine sort of a Heavy Rain-esque situation where we swap back and forth through different perspectives as the game goes on, though hopefully done well this time).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 29, 2018

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

quote:

GC: Will Chris be in the actual sequel itself?

LB: Yeah, he will be one of… in the story.

GC: You almost said too much then!

LB: [laughs]

The implication seems to be that there'll be more than one character who has super-powers in Season Two. Given the ragged backpack in the teaser trailer and reference to teenagers hitching rides on cargo trains in that newspaper article, perhaps Chris will go on the run from the authorities and fall in with another kid whose situation is all too similar to his own. I wonder if there are MiB in the Life Is Strange universe and somewhere there's a classified file about the Arcadia Bay incident...

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 29, 2018

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The best guess I can make atm is these 2:
You play as a (slightly older) runaway, and meet Chris. You buddy up and during some segments play as Chris.
You play as a character on the trail for some reason, encounter Chris during your visit to his region/area and try to help him out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I keep telling you guys Life is Strange 2 is gonna be Stand By Me except with super powers!!

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Season One was pretty much Stand By Me with super powers. Come on...a junk yard, two kids who find a dead body, a stroll down the train tracks, a man with a small but fierce dog whom he sics on his enemies, a gun which is whipped out in defense when somebody attacks your friend with a knife...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zedd posted:

The best guess I can make atm is these 2:
You play as a (slightly older) runaway, and meet Chris. You buddy up and during some segments play as Chris.
You play as a character on the trail for some reason, encounter Chris during your visit to his region/area and try to help him out.

The neighbor boy is probably going to be important too (the game made sure you got a real good look at him at the end after all) but in what capacity remains to be seen.

Also, technically every LiS game so far has had at least two playable characters (you play as Victoria for about a minute or two in the original and Max in the Farewell episode of BtS) so the first theory would make sense. I'm actually really interested to see what they end up doing here.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
This may seem only tangentially related to the discussion at hand but would anyone say that Rachel was the third protagonist of Season One? She was by Chloe's side throughout BtS and even though she's long dead by the time LiS begins, the mystery surrounding her ultimate fate is what drives the Max and Chloe's journey together.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think most people would probably agree that Rachel is the third lead in the Arcadia Bay saga despite only appearing in BtS.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah, she informs so much of Chloe and Max's actions, way more than any other present character.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Max does say in Episode Three that it feels like Rachel is with them in spirit, guiding them to the truth about what happened to her. When she adds her name to the wall in the clubhouse, she also points out that this makes them a trio. And then there's the implication that the ghostly doe is Rachel watching over Max and Chloe from the great beyond...that shot of the doe watching sadly as Chloe curls up and sobs when Rachel's death is brutally confirmed has always gotten to me..

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eshettar posted:

This may seem only tangentially related to the discussion at hand but would anyone say that Rachel was the third protagonist of Season One? She was by Chloe's side throughout BtS and even though she's long dead by the time LiS begins, the mystery surrounding her ultimate fate is what drives the Max and Chloe's journey together.

Yeah, while she's not playable at any point I consider her part of the main 3 considering how big an influence she had on both the plot of the series and on the character development of both Chloe and to some extent Max as well. While Rachel may have (unintentionally) would up stabbing her in the back she still literally saved Chloe's life in more ways than one and made her a much stronger person as a result, Chloe would then wind up passing that same strength onto Max in LiS. In that sense, Rachel kind of lives on in both of them.

And yeah, while I believe the developers have confirmed that the doe was meant to be Rachel it was that final scene in the junkyard that clinched it for me (the way it watches Max and Chloe for a bit before bowing its head sadly and vanishing).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 29, 2018

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

OutofSight posted:

We are still talking about that fantastic twister, whose appearance, disappearance and even its movement speed towards the bay is entirely guided by the progression in the narrative?

Although thar scene would be quite something. I can't remember, if the characters were even able to break the fourth wall during the story.

Yes, the same storm whose appearance is mostly arbitrary and functions as a punchline to a butterfly effect reference that moves the plot to its desired conclusion. Max's rewind just kind of appears when it needs to and that's fine, because on some level it's not just a literal plot event, but also a metaphor.

The reason why I didn't expect the game to end the way it did was because the characters were so coy about referencing the butterfly effect. They never break the fourth wall but they come close enough it takes the wind out of the ending, so to speak. BtS helped "fix" the ending for me because my interpretation is less about a big ol metaphor storm and more about-

Argue posted:

What if Chloe's death wasn't fated, but rather, Rachel using her powers from beyond the grave in order to bring Chloe back to her

-this. I don't think Rachel's an X-men ghost, but she does have a supernatural connection to wind. Even in the big ol metaphor play Rachel is a mage who orders a spirit to conjure a storm. I took the storm and Max's power as a kind of package deal. Max gets the ability to save Chloe, and Chloe gets a friend and protector, all topped off with the destruction of everything holding her back from escaping the town that Rachel never could. Chloe's sacrifice isn't to pacify Rachel, but to reject the idea that the town deserves the punishment that Chloe once wished for...

Eshettar posted:

I wonder if there are MiB in the Life Is Strange universe and somewhere there's a classified file about the Arcadia Bay incident...

...which is why this worries me. I love the idea of a bunch of "powerless" people with supernatural powers forming a weird little family, but I'm wary of a sequel trying to explain things that don't need explaining.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Furthering the idea that Rachel is helping Max and Chloe, the doe shows up to provide direct guidance twice...the first time in Max's tornado vision at the end of Episode One and the second when Max is lost in her nightmare and the doe indicates that the door to the bathroom is the way out. I wonder why Max alone can see her? Why Rachel wouldn't choose to appear to Chloe with whom she shares such a strong bond?

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 29, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eshettar posted:

The doe shows up to help Max twice...the first time in her vision of the tornado at the end of Episode One and the second when Max is lost in her nightmare and the doe indicates that the door to the bathroom is the way out. I wonder why Max alone can see her? Why Rachel wouldn't choose to appear to Chloe with whom she shares such a strong bond?

If you go back to the Tempest analogy Rachel is essentially playing the Prospero to Max's Miranda and trying to protect her from danger/lead her to the truth (most likely due to her connection with Chloe). It is somewhat odd that the doe never appears to Chloe herself though (that we see anyway).

As I've mentioned before, Chloe's sacrifice at the end was as much about protecting Max as it was about saving the town. Think about it, Rachel's dreams were essentially stolen from her along with her life, Chloe is brilliant and probably could have been a great asset to the world but her dreams died with her father and again with Rachel, and Max gave hers up by choice for Chloe's sake. But out of all of them, Max was the only one that still had a future to speak of.

Chloe didn't want to see Max go down the same road that she and Rachel did and by convincing her to go back through the photo she was essentially granting Max a second chance. Though I suppose you could also argue that by sacrificing the town now they both have the opportunity to start over with a clean slate and recover what they lost.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 29, 2018

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

LoseHound posted:

I love the idea of a bunch of "powerless" people with supernatural powers forming a weird little family, but I'm wary of a sequel trying to explain things that don't need explaining.

I always thought the best part of Beyond Two Souls was the chapter where Jodie gets taken in by a band of homeless people. She may be the only one who has powers but it struck me as so human, the way she finds acceptance so easily among them, this unlikely group which has been forged by their mutual struggle for survival. To them, this girl's supernatural nature just made her another social reject who fit right in with them. Another person who had been wounded by an uncaring world. If only the game had been about them..

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 29, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Thanks to fans datamining Captain Spirit, some new LiS 2 details seem to have come to light:

https://dontfeedthegamers.com/life-is-strange-2-affected-first-game/

- Protagonists seem to be a boy named Sean and his younger brother Daniel (presumably the boys we saw at the end of Captain Spirit), it seems like we may be playing as both of them throughout the game though the primary character appears to be Sean.

- Not only will the decisions made in Captain Spirit have consequences in this game, but apparently the choices you made in the original Life is Strange will as well.

- Some of the files found so far make reference to Max, Chloe, and Warren.

Seems interesting so far (though perhaps a tad overambitious), looking forward to getting some official information in the coming months. Carrying over your choices from the first game seems like a good way to pick an ending to follow without pissing off half the fanbase as well as giving nearly every player a unique gameplay experience (not sure how they'll be able to pull something like that off though). Don't know if that last point necessarily means those characters will be returning or not but we'll see.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 1, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would like it if they fix the basic gameplay loop away from "go around clicking "look" on everything"

Like maybe that was okay in the 80s or early 90s (it wasn't, but we didn't know any better)

But nothing kills my enthusiasm more than starting an adventure game and being dropped someplace with a million things to Look at and almost nothing to Interact Meaningfully With.

I hope LiS2 is just a playable The Florida Project if they're gonna keep going all in on misery porn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm reading the reddit thread where they dumped the datamined info and LiS2 just sounds kinda bad

• Locked thread