Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

fezball posted:

Putting ammo in the legs would probably be optimal, but it just feels wrong to me so I usually try not to do that. And for a mech that usually gets shot at once or twice a mission, I just don't worry about crits all that much, especially when that side is turned away from the enemy most of the time. But if I do gently caress up the positioning, I want the ammo to be behind a more substantial amount of armor.

None of this applies to an actual brawler mech, of course, on those you definitely want to keep the ammo away from the torso.
But your ammo side torso has 110 armour... while your leg has 100 armour. 10 armour is 2/3rd of a small laser shot and not really what I'd consider "more substantial". Not to mention if you gently caress up decisively bad and the AI gets a rear shot in, your torso has 10 armour while your leg still has 100, as well as the fact that legs are inherently less likely to get hit in the first place.

I can totally appreciate placing ammo in the legs feeling weird though. The thought of trying to make an ammo system that can load from any part of the mech without loving anything up is making me sweat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just put jets in the legs, ammo with the weapons when possible, and heat sinks on the side torsos because that seems like how it should be.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

dead comedy forums posted:

wtf you grognards are talking about with this "clan" and period stuff for us who want just better robot stomping, please

You've barely scratched the surface of what makes a BT grog

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Xarbala posted:

You've barely scratched the surface of what makes a BT grog

Original Box set chassis only, flat terrain, final destination.

Also everyone who thinks any era is better than Jihad era for gameplay is extremely wrong. hth.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

kingcom posted:

Original Box set chassis only, flat terrain, final destination.

Also everyone who thinks any era is better than Jihad era for gameplay is extremely wrong. hth.

I'll see your extreme opinion and raise: Dark Age or bust.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Strobe posted:

land air quadvees when

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
When heat-dissipating armor and re-engineered lasers are good, duh.

Panfilo posted:

A few other things from TT that would be fun to have:

-Clubbing mechs to death with their own blown off arms.
-pushing and charging enemies off cliffs.
-Being able to dump ammo for weapons that got destroyed to avoid unnecessary ammo explosions.
-Alternate ammo types like smoke LRMs, inferno SRMs, and Caseless autocannon rounds.
:yeah:
Enhancing physical attacks would take a bit of work, but if HBS can determine if punching/kicking animations would look appropriate in a given position, it'd be nice to at least have a toggle between the two so I have the option to sweep the leg.
Ammo should really be on its own inventory tab, especially if alternate types are going to be a thing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RabidWeasel posted:

JJs are cool but they're not quite so essential now that the LL/ML balance is a bit better. Especially once you take into account the increased sprint speed passive.

I had a great time with a Dual AC5, 4 Mlaser Jager S. Even when comparing it to my lucky "As soon as I got the Argo" enemy Orion headshot claim running around with an AC20. It was Glitch's super killstealer and cleanup crew ride.

But... Yeah being my only no Jump Jets mech got real loving old. "It will be fine, it's a sniper/skirmish bot so it has more time to walk and shoot at the same time" I told myself. While I never ended up spawned on an inescapable ledge, one too many times of the yellow map border cutting off the only sane landlocked approach by a single hex worth got real loving old.

So it wasn't legitimate positioning concerns, so much as being able to circumvent artificial hurdles, that broke me and made me go for all Jump Jets or gently caress off. Then later it was how much more satisfying even 3 jets on an assault was compared to walking and shooting. Well worth the tonnage.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 29, 2018

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

Dark Age the Wizkids click game or Dark Age full crazy hybrid Timberwolf Mk III Battletech game?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Spoilers: no era of BattleTech was particularly well balanced. The canon medium laser just throws any other balance concerns straight out the window.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

b0lt posted:

land air quadvees when

Along those lines, how about just QUAD Mechs? Pretty sure the Scorpion (mech) was around during this time period.

DeepThrobble posted:

When heat-dissipating armor and re-engineered lasers are good, duh.

:yeah:
Enhancing physical attacks would take a bit of work, but if HBS can determine if punching/kicking animations would look appropriate in a given position, it'd be nice to at least have a toggle between the two so I have the option to sweep the leg.
Ammo should really be on its own inventory tab, especially if alternate types are going to be a thing.

Really I mainly want mechs to be affected by the terrain when they fall, so they'll slide down a slope or get pinned against rocks depending on gravity and terrain. Different ammo types could be handy in some missions and any time you have more than a ton of ammo give you the option to use either type equipped.

Starting deliberate fires was also a tactic in the board game and several light mechs had flamers to help cover an escape this way.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

kingcom posted:

Dark Age the Wizkids click game or Dark Age full crazy hybrid Timberwolf Mk III Battletech game?

The latter.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Spoilers: no era of BattleTech was particularly well balanced. The canon medium laser just throws any other balance concerns straight out the window.

I mean yeah no era is balanced, thats why I far more enjoy having eras where every faction has a clear and distinct play style and gimmick list to pull from, be it the 5/8 Steiner heavy cav, the Kurita Super speed lights and C3 or the Liao stealth super bot lances. It may not be balanced but its got a distinct style and flavour to everything rather than sawdust flavoured 3025 combat.

Strobe posted:

The latter.

Dark Age Battletech is just Jihad era with a little more crazyness on top and no Wobbie iC3 hybrids so I can live with that compromise. As much as I love the dumb Archangels they are comically undergunned.

The only time I've really enjoyed a 3025 was a campaign I ran that ended with my players merc unit fighting a full operation Matar with all of its Star League tech online and Dark Age Battletech is basically that all around.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 29, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I prefer Dark Age to Jihad because in the Jihad the FWL goes belly up, but in the Dark Age we get all the best toys. :v:

Look at the Juliano 5C and tell me that thing isn't one of the most terrifying Assault 'Mechs ever conceived.

Also Xarbala drew a bunch of them and that kicks rear end.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

I prefer Dark Age to Jihad because in the Jihad the FWL goes belly up, but in the Dark Age we get all the best toys. :v:

They just got renamed to the Word of Blake though?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

kingcom posted:

They just got renamed to the Word of Blake though?

Names are important in BattleTech, haven't you heard? :v:

Dark Age FWL isn't actively losing. They definitely (were the only major faction that well and truly) lost the Jihad.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

Names are important in BattleTech, haven't you heard? :v:

Dark Age FWL isn't actively losing. They definitely (were the only major faction that well and truly) lost the Jihad.

Well now that the FWL is properly reforming in the current timeline they're kinda poised as the hero protagonist faction is the writers continue to remember they exist. They have a collapsing failed state to their north with a rampaging horde punching through them, a dying republic to the east and House Liao victory lap over Davion to the south. So we've got them set up as a real cool Poland-Lithuanian Commonwealth type of faction as Genghis Khan is heading their way.

Also I would argue the clans lost pretty loving bad in the Jihad lol, though I guess the War of Reaving is technically separate.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 29, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I am incredibly excited for the potential of the Free Worlds League storyline going forward. If I told somebody that 20 years ago they'd have me committed. :v:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

I am incredibly excited for the potential of the Free Worlds League storyline going forward. If I told somebody that 20 years ago they'd have me committed. :v:

I assume this means that CGL is going to collapse and no more battletech updates will come lol. Alternatively they will do the next time jump and just have the whole FWL corner of the map cropped out with no explanation.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

RBA Starblade posted:

I just put jets in the legs, ammo with the weapons when possible, and heat sinks on the side torsos because that seems like how it should be.

If you want to go with what makes sense, JJs go in the side torsos as shown in the models and heatsinks go in the legs as explained in the fluff and the (unimplemented in this game) rules.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Sharkopath posted:

Mech 2 starting in that era and gradually advancing forward was cool.

I think I have more an issue with the customization of this universe though in that the decisions you are making are rarely like, my large laser got blown up what can I replace it with, and more about minmaxing builds with the same weapon type that is the most optimal. Something that emphasized the cutthroat and juryrigged nature would be cool to me.

In older mechearrior games the total freedom also meant every robot was straight up determined by its hitboxes because they were entirely identical otherwise.

I dunno man, I’ve been babying my lostech to the point that anything that ever gets reliably shot at doesn’t carry any. I’ve also only ever found one +10 ac10 and I’m definitely going to cry when it gets destroyed.

I personally love 3025. The time to kill is nice and low, builds are weird since nothing can really boat reliably, and scarcity means that the few lostech items you find are truly awesome.

As soon as you get xl engines and double heatsinks the game goes sideways. Everything can boat min max builds that carry 2 mechs worth of weapons, TTK drops like a rock and things just turn kinda bland.

Clan invasion is OK since it brings back that scarcity with those rare awesome clan drops, but once you get past first wave stuff I’m done. Snub nosed ppc’s, rac’s, heavy everything, it just adds way too much granularity to everything which encourages spreadsheetwarriors. Too many mechs, too many weapons, lazy balancing.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I think it really just boils down to lazy rules writing more than anything. There's no reason it had to take the sharp turn that it did, even allowing for customization with the clan tech.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

S.J. posted:

I think it really just boils down to lazy rules writing more than anything. There's no reason it had to take the sharp turn that it did, even allowing for customization with the clan tech.

It's why Jihad era is so good as the TTK bounces up again from all the solid tools everyone has to work with, you're all faster and more well armoured alongside the increased firepower you are packing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

EduardoEspecial posted:

Wait, is bad intel an actual mechanic in this game? I figured it was just a bug.

Edit: Or the rng having a laugh.

The skull rating is the centre of a range, so it's bounded. Would be cool if you could improve the intel for some cash.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
if the next dlc adds the cauldron born i will be satisfied.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

The skull rating is the centre of a range, so it's bounded. Would be cool if you could improve the intel for some cash.
Throwing lore tax cash at every mission would still be a step up from instances of three lances spawning within 5 hexes of eachother being met with "If you can't handle it, the withdraw button is over there."

And if you are a bad enough dude to handle that, it would let you know it's worth taking the salvage option rather than your Nth "high salvage=poo poo enemies" contract wasting your time.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Being on the precipice of two clans invading Terra for the past couple of years is starting to give the infamous eternal 3067 a run for its money.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

PoptartsNinja posted:

If HBS introduces switchable ammo for the next version of the game, I'm gonna make a PTNtech mod, because I suspect it would play really well and all of it should be pretty easy to mod in. But without switchable ammo types ACs would probably suck really badly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Conspiratiorist posted:

If you want to go with what makes sense, JJs go in the side torsos as shown in the models and heatsinks go in the legs as explained in the fluff and the (unimplemented in this game) rules.

Yang hates you now :v:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I managed to move along the map edge of the old mission I was getting destroyed on such that incoming fire was only unsustainable rather than instant death. I killed off the target lance with only 2 knockdowns on my side and 1 injury. At that point I could withdraw in good faith so I got the gently caress out of dodge before the other 3 assaults got themselves into visual range.

Still, I finished an awesome off from the salvage and the contracts on offer now are all 3 skulls rather then 4+ before the patch.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I just finished the campaign so I thought I'd write down my thoughts and suggestions being someone who likes tactical strat games but never really paid much attention to Battletech.

Story & Presentation
I mostly knew of it from the ISO Battletech game for Sega, which ruled, and seeing the minis at my FLGS. I came into this game essentially blind to the setting / mechs / whatever. The opening cinematic hooked me immediately, as the art style and music really complemented each other very well. I'd love for any future games to keep this style. I think the information presented in the game was good at getting my feet wet, I loved the hover tool tips, and Yang's frank discussion of the mechs helped me out big time (as did reading this thread). Getting a heavy and being excited only for Yang to talk about its stupid lack of armor / bad weapons helped me to temper expectations.

The story itself was good. I liked it and it was fun fighting for the Arano restoration. I know a lot of people wanted to be able to straight mercenary but giving us a benefactor allowed them to marvel at our great military genius and success effectively, as the campaign progressed which would be more complicated if you had random factions / whatever. Also with random factions you would never have gotten that cool bit where you exit with the SLDF mechs and the ranger lance loses its poo poo.

Improvements
It would have been useful to have mechtionary or something similar that lays out information thats important in the game in 1 local place. Like let me sort through the various mechs, even if they are only unlocked as we encounter them.

Gameplay

It was really fun even if it had its foibles. A little more forgiving than X-COM1 and I think the mercs had more character than the soldiers I had in that game. My biggest complaint is that the lack of mech "cover" or even varying levels of the soft cover they had made the fights all slugfests generally. Which is fine as that appears to be "battletech" but there were sometimes where the mission maps were pretty lovely and I didn't really feel like I was implementing a strategy more than just lining my dudes up. By the end of game I had swapped over to 3/4 bulwark pilots due to this so they could just stand and tank.

Improvements
- Varying levels of soft cover. Like a normal forest is -25% and obscures vision by X meters. Smoke is like a -10 to hit or whatever. A thick forest is 40% with more vision obstruction.
- Hard cover / Ways to tell if something will actually hide my mech. Some kind of wireframe box that shows if a piece of map geometry will hide my mech or not. I noticed some walls I could shoot over and some I couldn't same with rock formations.
- I'd like it if the maps were bigger so that on missions where there are reinforcements that are already on the map they weren't smack dab ontop of the enemy units. Fighting 8 opponents at once is harrowing but should be avoidable/mitigated through proper planning. Also this would help on the missions where reinforcements "spawn in" because then they could spawn well out of sight instead of right ontop of my units like has happened.
- Urban environments would be cool to smash around in.

The merc stuff

Overall I thought it was pretty good. I'm not a tactical genius or anything but I never felt like I couldn't win. I liked the potentially bad intel stuff and going "oh poo poo" when theres a giant mech and trying to figure out how to kill it. I wish there was a little bit more to managing the company and especially more "historical" information. I also think it'd be cool if the reputation system was expanded in the future games and that colored the contracts you'd get offered.

Improvements
- Would love to see a history of my drops. IE what mechwarriors & mechs deployed, the kill & injury tallies, etc. Maybe some randomly generated flavor text or something about it. I'd love to be able to chart my company's progression from like "oh here is where we were dropping with mediums every drop and then we got heavies here, etc"
- Would be cool if there was more stuff you could do for/with your mechwarriors. The events were really fun in the game and it'd be cool to talk to your mechwarriors or see them somewhere on the ship hanging out.
- In future games it'd be awesome if the rep system was expanded and your company could get a reputation or title for specific achievements that would influence your contracts. IE. Your company consistently punches above its tonnage and you get the title "Giant Slayers" which pays you premium for assassinates or whatever. Or you constantly roll overtonnage for missions so you get called "Rolling Thunder" and enemies could become demoralized on first contact. I think that could be fun.
- Combined with the above it'd be neat if you could get rivals who would come gunning for you, i dont know the lore are there petty bitches in battletech who could try to gently caress us over for constantly out smarting them?
- It would be cool if there was more "intel gathering" that could be done, like looking for a specific mech chasis you could scout the contracts and see what type of mechs the enemy is fielding. It took me soooo long to find an Atlas / Awesome / King Crab even when Assaults were spawning and I was holding off on finishing the game until I got them.

My mech company

Like everyone else, I loved Glitch the minute I heard her voice and all her silly barks so I ran with her the most. With her initiative+1 ability I ended up using her as my Lostech Highlander pilot. I lost Medusa early on and Behemoth ended up DFAing herself into the infirmary for 2 months during a mission gone completely sideways so she ended up sitting by the wayside as other mechwarriors got trained up. After losing Medusa and another rando whose name I forget I didn't lose any pilots. I spent the midgame abusing the LRM strat with a Treb. I had Glitch on a strong jumpy mech usually something like a PPC or an AC/10 and my main pilot on a hunchback with an AC/20. That got me through to the deeper midgame. Eventually kicked the Hunchback up to an Orion, the Treb became a catapult, Glitch got the Highlander, and the 4th was usually something either fast or armored and with good range to spot for the LRM boat until it was time to get dirty. By the end I had a sick Black Knight that usually took that spot.

My final drops were: Highlander, Atlas, King Crab, Highlander LRM boat. Victoria could hosed upppppppppp

code:
Callsign  Deployments  Mech Kills  Other Kills  Injuries  Kill Ratio (M)  Kill Ratio (A)  Injury Rate
Jerkface:      67           86           51       37          1.28              2.04          0.55
Dekker:        51           38           28       14          0.75              1.29          0.27
Foxtrot:       48           28           23       10          0.58              1.06          0.21
Glitch:        91           127          56       28          1.40              2.01          0.31
Hickory:       53           59           15       25          1.11              1.40          0.47
Ronin:         35           41           14        6          1.17              1.57          0.17
Showboat:      45           75           40       18          1.67              2.56          0.40
I wish the Glitch voice wasn't so good theres probably other awesome voiced mechwarriors that I never heard. Showboat is a ronin mechwarrior that uses Glitch's voice so I often had both of them in my drop :v: Dekker & Foxtrot were my LRM boaters so they rarely got kills, just set it up for myself / glitch / showboat to finish em off with the AC/20 or Gauss. Hickory was my scout tank so he spent a lot of time sensor locking.

My main character's injuries are 99% random head hits from missiles. Infact all of these injuries are.

A+++ game would buy expansions.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 30, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Bulwark is most definitely not one of those other pilots with a good voice. Holy poo poo he is awful.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PoptartsNinja posted:

They've always stipulated a difference between fiction and rules

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
Campaign is fun albeit samey after a while. Though it would've been cool if there was a more open ended version that took place over many years and let you see tech progression happen to unlock better stuff.

At least in the case of IS tech, there were downsides that meant it wasn't always a straight upgrade. Ferro Fibrous/Endo Steel took up a lot of space which really limited what you could do with that saved tonnage. Pulse lasers had more heat and less range, double heat sinks took up 3 slots so you couldn't put them in the legs, Ultra ACs could jam, MASC could lock up, and XL engines meant you die if you lose a side torso.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Panfilo posted:

Campaign is fun albeit samey after a while. Though it would've been cool if there was a more open ended version that took place over many years and let you see tech progression happen to unlock better stuff.

At least in the case of IS tech, there were downsides that meant it wasn't always a straight upgrade. Ferro Fibrous/Endo Steel took up a lot of space which really limited what you could do with that saved tonnage. Pulse lasers had more heat and less range, double heat sinks took up 3 slots so you couldn't put them in the legs, Ultra ACs could jam, MASC could lock up, and XL engines meant you die if you lose a side torso.

UAC jams are brutally unfun

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah unclearable UAC jams suck. Double heat sinks are fine if they don't auto-upgrade engine heatsinks (so the way they are currently implemented is perfect).

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Interestingly enough the pulse lasers in this have the same range as their regular versions.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
The other thing that's been repeated ad nauseum is that they need to give Light mechs more to do late game. Just restricting you to a lance gives you an obvious incentive to take the heaviest mechs possible. The limitations should really be based on the mission itself, with some combination of number and total tonnage.

If there was a mission that gave you a maximum of 6 mechs to use but only 180 tons total, you'd have to decide if you wanted to risk taking a smaller number of mediums/heavies vs six lights.

Having more time constrained optional objectives also makes a light mech's speed more relevant.

Another thing that would help is to have a Mechwarrior skill that gives Overwatch in a light mech. Being able to straight up ambush another mech in a Commando would be pretty fun.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Pulse Lasers, ER Lasers, ER PPCs - a lot of that stuff is sadly just more energy weapons doing things existing energy weapons already do slightly worse or slightly better. But it takes ages for new ballistics to come in and I'm not sure the giant holes in that roster ever get filled. There's already energy weapons that cover the entire spectrum from long to short and from .5 tons to 10+ tons, even in 3025 tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nice writeup, Jerkface.