Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh okay the NBN order is still 'pending' but they changed us to a new DSL password in advance of that anyway. Sure. Okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

JBP posted:

My mum got her first iphone a couple of weeks ago and worked out how to emoji on Monday :kiddo:

According to my husband for a long time my MIL texted like a 15 year old girl circa 2007. Because she learnt to text from her 15 year old coworkers at a cafe.

She's since learnt to text in a way we can actually understand.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm with AussieBroadband and they're actually really loving good despite the lovely bland sounding name.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

froglet posted:

According to my husband for a long time my MIL texted like a 15 year old girl circa 2007. Because she learnt to text from her 15 year old coworkers at a cafe.

She's since learnt to text in a way we can actually understand.

I get texts that read like a formal email from Enid Blyton followed by a shooting star, heart and a smiley face.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JBP posted:

I get texts that read like a formal email from Enid Blyton followed by a shooting star, heart and a smiley face.

That sounds rad

Gridlocked posted:

I'm with AussieBroadband and they're actually really loving good despite the lovely bland sounding name.

Shittier name is probably better service

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Aussie broadband are the current whirlpool darlings according to my occasional foray into their forums

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That sounds rad

Shittier name is probably better service

Counter point: dodo

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Gridlocked posted:

Counter point: dodo

Well yeah. But are you really going to buy internet service that:

a) Chose to name itself after an extinct bird known for being particularly thick
b) Seems to be under the impression it's potential clients are "as dumb as a dodo?"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Measly Twerp posted:

Well yeah. But are you really going to buy internet service that:

a) Chose to name itself after an extinct bird known for being particularly thick
b) Seems to be under the impression it's potential clients are "as dumb as a dodo?"

Isn't Dodo the one that actually had "Internet that flies!" as its slogan? Despite Dodos going extinct in no small part due to their inability to fly?

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Senor Tron posted:

Isn't Dodo the one that actually had "Internet that flies!" as its slogan? Despite Dodos going extinct in no small part due to their inability to fly?

Quite possibly. I had a google and the bird is often shown flying.

I think it's a test, scam emails always contain obvious spelling mistakes in order to make smarter people dismiss the scamming attempt, but not enough that idiots people won't reply.

If you think the idea of a flying dodo is stupid and the advertising is subtly insulting, you're not their target, but if you don't pick up on that you're a perfect match.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lol the ALP is hosed. Literally the worst possible way to handle this situation. They're gonna lose the election.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Beetphyxious posted:

Aussie broadband are the current whirlpool darlings according to my occasional foray into their forums

But are they a GAMER provider?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

BBJoey posted:

lol the ALP is hosed. Literally the worst possible way to handle this situation. They're gonna lose the election.

Love how they suck up to the Murdoch press who relentlessly hates them.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
No one gives a gently caress except of subscribers to the Australian. Labor still has the upper hand on this tax battle and health and education rule over all other issues.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Anidav posted:

No one gives a gently caress except of subscribers to the Australian. Labor still has the upper hand on this tax battle and health and education rule over all other issues.

Labor has pissed off shithead small business owners (who would never support them anyway) with their original position, and now they've pissed off progressives by backtracking. Shorten has further tarnished his already abysmal image, but the ALP is stuck with him; if they roll him it will be to put in someone even more committed to the Labor Right and give away any hopes of winning the next election. The public backdown provides yet more fodder to the LNP and the media to portray Labor as incompetent economic managers. You say health and education rule all else but they lost the 2016 election pushing strongly on those issues, even though they had an incredibly effective medicare-focused campaign (and legislation now forbids similar tactics for future elections). The ALP's platform at the next election will be "we're going to increase your income taxes and we don't know what we're doing on business tax". poo poo's hosed.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
actually they’re cutting income tax

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BBJoey posted:

Labor has pissed off shithead small business owners (who would never support them anyway) with their original position, and now they've pissed off progressives by backtracking. Shorten has further tarnished his already abysmal image, but the ALP is stuck with him; if they roll him it will be to put in someone even more committed to the Labor Right and give away any hopes of winning the next election. The public backdown provides yet more fodder to the LNP and the media to portray Labor as incompetent economic managers. You say health and education rule all else but they lost the 2016 election pushing strongly on those issues, even though they had an incredibly effective medicare-focused campaign (and legislation now forbids similar tactics for future elections). The ALP's platform at the next election will be "we're going to increase your income taxes and we don't know what we're doing on business tax". poo poo's hosed.

nice meltdown

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, that jingle was fuckin' awful

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what dodo is like these days but years ago my mate worked at the TIO and said they got far and away the most complaints

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

BBJoey posted:

I agree. Hes going to lose or win such a poo poo victory that they'll be out in 4 years.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Overheard at the Woolworths self serve checkout: *extremely smug voice* "I just bought 20,000 of my own disposable plastic bags,"

White: check
Male: choobet
Mid 30s-40s: totes.
Likelihood of Engineering Degree: 87%

What a loving hero.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
For every plastic bag you don't use I will use three

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

JBP posted:

nice meltdown

I'm with BBJoey, they're hosed. This is a straight-up rehash of the Beazley small-target strategy, it never works. The best you can say of Shorten is that he's no political class traitor: all about getting the job, no idea of how to do it.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Don Dongington posted:

Overheard at the Woolworths self serve checkout: *extremely smug voice* "I just bought 20,000 of my own disposable plastic bags,"

White: check
Male: choobet
Mid 30s-40s: totes.
Likelihood of Engineering Degree: 87%

What a loving hero.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

piss fart

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Measly Twerp posted:

Quite possibly. I had a google and the bird is often shown flying.

I think it's a test, scam emails always contain obvious spelling mistakes in order to make smarter people dismiss the scamming attempt, but not enough that idiots people won't reply.

If you think the idea of a flying dodo is stupid and the advertising is subtly insulting, you're not their target, but if you don't pick up on that you're a perfect match.

It's archived a cultural victory - you know know enough from the marketing to know the company, it's mascot, it's theme song and go to the trouble to google it's web page. More free advertising for them.

Don't blame me, I got retrenched/quit in a silent protest when they fired all the staff to export the jobs to Manila. They still had posters on the wall saying they were proud to have an Australian callcentre back then (they were taken down).

Comstar fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 29, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Why is the rest of Australia being so broke brain over this, we've had reusable bags and almost no plastic bags in SA for like 15 years without an issue, keep up

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

nice meltdown

i am melting down 100% of the time i am awake and i do not enjoy it

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

BBJoey posted:

i am melting down 100% of the time i am awake and i do not enjoy it
same, i was self-medicating with weed but three weeks ago i ran out and not a single lousy goon has stepped forward to rescue me from this bleak joyless hell that my life has become

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i have begged and begged and begged

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

SOMEBODY PLEASE SELL ME SOME loving WEED

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

sorry. sorry. i'm calm. how about those plastic bags

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

NTRabbit posted:

Why is the rest of Australia being so broke brain over this, we've had reusable bags and almost no plastic bags in SA for like 15 years without an issue, keep up

I find this whole thing hilarious and confusing. Then again I did the whole reusable bag learning curve years ago when I moved in with a partner who always brought his own bags and got me in the habit (thus began my slow descent into hippiedom).

There is a 100+ page thread on Whirlpool about it, ranging fron "but what about my bin liners????" to "Jesus Christ calm the gently caress down peeps, this is not that hard".

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/slackbastard/status/1012650318826332160

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

I'm going to eat nothing but baked beans between now and then, and then I'm going to fart on that mans face.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Andy seems xxxtremely edgy.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

Andy seems xxxtremely edgy.

slackbastard does good antifa work but yeah, edgy teen is definitely his writing style.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
lokkkal conservatives is so weirdly misplaced that it's gotta be a joke

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Just scrolled through his twitter and haha, maybe not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010