Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

like everything anroid it works okay in theory but google leaves everything up to the devs so nothing works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

infernal machines posted:

so android is seriously just re-implementing the last 30 years of windows, but on a cell phone

soon anroid will get bonzai buddy

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
thought that said “benghazi buddy” at first.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google is early 2000’s microsoft. they try to do everything and it’s all terrible

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Management posted:

google is early 2000’s microsoft. they try to do everything and it’s all terrible

does that make apple pre jobs return, and does that mean jobs will force ghost his way to a third era of apple leadership

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

all iphone cameras now come without the phantasm filter to allow for brighter noncorporeal form photos and a new studio lighting effect that created a freezing house around the viewer

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

iPhone: Now with more iOrbs™

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The Management posted:

expanding on this, like microsoft of the time they have a money printing machine that is funding a thousand disastrous entries into every field in tech. they aren’t committed to anything because they don’t need it to survive, so it is either substandard but lingers because of their name or falls apart and gets cancelled.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
oh is that for new phones

e: ah, i guess that's just for oneplus. gotta make sure they can still backdoor into your phone, after all

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 29, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

anthonypants posted:

oh is that for new phones

e: ah, i guess that's just for oneplus. gotta make sure they can still backdoor into your phone, after all

i think google is now promising a massive THREE years of os updates on pixels (from day of launch)

meanwhile if you bought an iphone 5s in 2013, your phone will have software updates until at least fall 2019

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
it won't be usable, but at least it will be up to date

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

elmer chud posted:

This would literally still be an improvement, anything that even puts the possibility of a future reduction of the long tail of botted Amdroogs.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

elmer chud posted:

it definitely will still be usable, not a bad emergency phone candidate

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

elmer chud posted:

even slow, its better than a slow unsupported phone and some people have the patience to not notice the speed as long as apps keep working

OldAlias posted:

it definitely will still be usable, not a bad emergency phone candidate

yup. all my old phones are out of support cycles since i cycle the newer ones to family but at this rate everyone will be supported next upgrade and two 5s users dont care about anything newer

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ios 12 beta on the 5s is faster than ios 11 on the same device

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol matching the support lifecycle of the iPhone 3g good job

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

elmer chud posted:

the OG iPad Air i use for work is still usable. it lags a little for some operations and when you switch apps, but other than that it's fine

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The Management posted:

iOS has standard notification controls for every app

it has virtually the same system as android, yes

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 30, 2018

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the OG iPad Air i use for work is still usable. it lags a little for some operations and when you switch apps, but other than that it's fine

i'm still loving my ipad mini 1

it's a good reader and i mean when i first got it i thought tablet form was trash but a few hours later i was like, future information appliance!

and it still just works

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

syscall girl posted:

i'm still loving my ipad mini 1

it's a good reader and i mean when i first got it i thought tablet form was trash but a few hours later i was like, future information appliance!

and it still just works

i'm still rocking mine too. lags here and there, but still in good working order overall.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Lutha Mahtin posted:

android only has that system because ios completely embarrassed the one they had before

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

are you really trying to dunk on some minor feature because one os had it before another one did

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

are you really trying to dunk on some minor feature because one os had it before another one did

i think it's important to realize that in these trying times we can all agree that your operating system is a piece of poo poo

(my beloved ipad mini chose to push an update while i was dling a big fat app and had it plugged in which threw my keychain in the river, for example)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

android is such garbage

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

syscall girl posted:

i think it's important to realize that in these trying times we can all agree that your operating system is a piece of poo poo

certainly. i just enjoy laughing at people who try and try but will never be able to articulate the second-tier reasons why Android (or any other os) is crap, much less the biggest first-tier reasons

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Last Chance posted:

ios 12 beta on the 5s is faster than ios 11 on the same device

That's not saying much though

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

certainly. i just enjoy laughing at people who try and try but will never be able to articulate the second-tier reasons why Android (or any other os) is crap, much less the biggest first-tier reasons

i honestly think that bagging on bad ideas is a worthwhile uh.............

well it's a good release

please enjoy my 95 feces

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

dunking on android because it lagged in feature X is like dunking on ios because it lagged in feature Y, or operating system 3 lagged in feature Z. it's a scrub tier observation that people with mediocre critical thinking skills think they are clever for seeing

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 30, 2018

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Android dunks on itself constantly with newly stupid security flaws exposed, pre-hacked or poorly built products, and total gut-wrenching 180 degree design and functionality changes between releases of OS or services. I don’t have to be bothered to search for specifics.

One only has to listen to android nerds rattle on about specs and features , or view one of the many forums on the topic of telephone nerding to reaffirm.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Lutha Mahtin posted:

dunking on android because it lagged in feature X is like dunking on ios because it lagged in feature Y, or operating system 3 lagged in feature Z. it's a scrub tier observation that people with mediocre critical thinking skills think they are clever for seeing

lol keep posting how not mad you were that you tried to imply android had it first and got called on it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

carry on then posted:

lol keep posting how not mad you were that you tried to imply android had it first and got called on it

uh he didnt imply that or even approach saying that

all he said was that android has a system that allows the user to allow or disallow an app to place an icon in the notification area

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

saying

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is like saying “the taming of the shrew has virtually the same plot as 10 things i hate about you”

there is an ordering implied in the statement

plus the chain of :smug: after the callout is 100% butthurt dyper

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i just dont see it but ill take your word for it

i mean in the original mention of notification channels he explicitly points out that some apps still dont support it which seems difficult to hold the belief that android does not have the feature while also implying they had the feature first

in fact your quoted statement to me sounds like "yes android now has that same feature" implying the opposite order youre inferring

as for the butthurt dyper he hasnt posted there in over two years but i suppose one could say once a dyper always a dyper idk im one already

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
my coworker was complaining their phone need a 2.0 amp charger, exactly 2.0 any higher or lower and it doesn't work

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

LastInLine posted:

i just dont see it but ill take your word for it

I mean, it's got babby Joseph Gordon-Levitt in it but yeah: it wasn't great. I can't honestly recommend it unless you're doing a "Late 90s teen-adaptation movies" weekend or something?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

does android still fill up the status bar with redundant ugly icons lol

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lutha Mahtin posted:

im going to dunk on android for it being trash for man-children op

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, it's got babby Joseph Gordon-Levitt in it but yeah: it wasn't great. I can't honestly recommend it unless you're doing a "Late 90s teen-adaptation movies" weekend or something?

you gotta follow cruel intentions with something, mate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Last Chance posted:

does android still fill up the status bar with redundant ugly icons lol

last i saw