Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

Ok I am done with my current game. Had the contingency as end game crisis, and would like to avoid it the next time... Is there a mod or some other way to ensure I get one of the others?

Kill all robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Aethernet posted:

Kill all robots.

Gladly! Fanatic spiritualists it is.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I bought Stellaris at launch, played it a bunch, then put it away and haven't touched it until Distant Stars came out. I bought it and all the other dlcs I missed. I've played 3 games and have had 3 Contingencies end game crisis... so I would also like to be able to disable or reduce the chances of the Contingency. I'm just tired of it and want to see others.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

victrix posted:

I saw some mentions of a UI mod for res out there, does that make the UI more readable at 1440p without using the in-game scaling that makes the ui kinda blurry?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1161645198

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Is it possible for the AI empires to have robot rebellions?
I had one myself, and i sure want that to happen to the AI empires as well...
It would be fun to see a huge AI empire turn into endless civil war

and

uplifting pre sapiens is the best way to get influence by a long shot!
but even then, its hard to colonize all system, im 100 years into the game and still 10-20% of the galaxy is unclaimed.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Descar posted:

The Stronger Bombardment mod I linked earlier gives Fanatical Purifiers and Determined Exterminators a unit bonus for glassing or cracking worlds, so I respectfully disagree with your assertion here.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Descar posted:

Is it possible for the AI empires to have robot rebellions?
I had one myself, and i sure want that to happen to the AI empires as well...
It would be fun to see a huge AI empire turn into endless civil war

and

but even then, its hard to colonize all system, im 100 years into the game and still 10-20% of the galaxy is unclaimed.

No, AI empires don't have the same sort of robots.

Curiously I saw a rogue servitor AI rebellion for the first time last night. Didn't know that could happen. As a rogue servitor myself I tried to prop them up but they were on the other side of the map so it didn't work. :shrug:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Assuming you mean Machine Intelligences, hobbesmaster is right. If you mean empires played by the AI, then that is possible (under the same conditions as player empires).

I think a rogue servitor revolt is only possible if the revolt rolls the generic Machine Intelligence result (instead of assimilator or exterminator), and then rolls rogue servitor as one of their civics. So it's pretty unlikely. Not sure though.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
In my determined exterminators game my two big rivals both had crippling machine rebellions, then the contingency showed up, then I neutron swept the galaxy. definitely should have killed all robots

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Saddest Robot posted:

I bought Stellaris at launch, played it a bunch, then put it away and haven't touched it until Distant Stars came out. I bought it and all the other dlcs I missed. I've played 3 games and have had 3 Contingencies end game crisis... so I would also like to be able to disable or reduce the chances of the Contingency. I'm just tired of it and want to see others.

Make sure no one has robots, and it'll never trigger. The easiest way to ensure you never see it is to force spawn only Fanatic Spiritualist empires in your game. Or just kill everyone who has robots. Basically, be the Spiritualist FE.

It's hugely more likely to trigger if there are large machine intelligence empires, or if anyone has turned into Synthetics. Even a 1 planet empire that has taken the Synthetic Age perk will make the Contingency crisis 6x more likely than any other crisis, and that's assuming it's the only planet in the galaxy with robots.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
It'd be nice if the leader pool cap was a soft cap with a resource penalty to put it in line with other low cap pools, like Starbases and Core Sector Systems. There are definitely points where I'd be willing to pay to go over cap by one or two leaders while I sort out assignments or need to get a new fleet up and running at all costs.

Also need some warning notifications for exceeding the Starbase or Core Sector System caps, sometimes going on a conquering spree puts you over and I forget that's a problem until my economy tanks and I'm like 'oh yeah I need to put these planets in a sector and downgrade the trash starbases'.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

isndl posted:

It'd be nice if the leader pool cap was a soft cap with a resource penalty to put it in line with other low cap pools, like Starbases and Core Sector Systems. There are definitely points where I'd be willing to pay to go over cap by one or two leaders while I sort out assignments or need to get a new fleet up and running at all costs.

Also need some warning notifications for exceeding the Starbase or Core Sector System caps, sometimes going on a conquering spree puts you over and I forget that's a problem until my economy tanks and I'm like 'oh yeah I need to put these planets in a sector and downgrade the trash starbases'.

I agree on the first point as I wish the cap was based on the size of your empire. In regards to your second point that is already in the game.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

binge crotching posted:

Make sure no one has robots, and it'll never trigger. The easiest way to ensure you never see it is to force spawn only Fanatic Spiritualist empires in your game. Or just kill everyone who has robots. Basically, be the Spiritualist FE.

It's hugely more likely to trigger if there are large machine intelligence empires, or if anyone has turned into Synthetics. Even a 1 planet empire that has taken the Synthetic Age perk will make the Contingency crisis 6x more likely than any other crisis, and that's assuming it's the only planet in the galaxy with robots.

I really hope that gets reworked sometime soon. Just make each crisis have an equal chance to spawn, if nothing else. Ideally I'd prefer some in game way to force spawn whichever one you want, like a special event chain that gives your empire some bonus but guarantees a particular crisis that negates that bonus in some way. I've been playing Ironman since launch basically but I'm on the verge of giving up and modding the crisis because I'm sick of the contingency.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I feel like the Leader Cap is an old concept that needs to go. Have hiring cost scale with empire size and how many you already have or something.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I have never encountered the Contingency.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Barring one time I triggered it manually to see what all the fuss was about, I haven't either. The Unbidden are still my most common crisis by far.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
That's odd, the Contigency are usually the end game crisis I run into most often. Followed by the Scourge in a somewhat close second. I very rarely see the Unbidden post 2.0 now, not sure why that is. I do often avoid going directly to Jump Drives since that changes were made - it's useful, sure but I find not as often as is used to be since it now has a massive debuff every time you use it.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Have you guys never played machine empires/synth ascended empires to crisis spawn, or have you just always rolled another crisis despite the odds? The contingency gets crazy high weight really easily. I think even just the presence of the Machine FE can make it the most likely to appear.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I feel like the Leader Cap is an old concept that needs to go. Have hiring cost scale with empire size and how many you already have or something.

You could also have leaders cost maintenance, and then allow you to go over the cap in exchange for increased maintenance for all leaders, just like naval and starbase caps work. That would probably require some economy rebalancing though. But the bigger problem with leader cap that you only ever really need 2 governors, maybe 4 admirals at most, and 0 generals. So you end up with a collection of a dozen scientists with different specialities. And then you need to swap them between assisting research and actually researching whenever you start researching a tech in a different field than the previous one, and possibly swapping in a new one just before that tech finishes so you have a better chance of drawing what you want. And once you run out of stuff to survey, scientist exp gain is just miserably slow. And when you're hiring a new scientist (or another leader, if an old one dies or something), you need to fire so many leaders until you roll one with a specialty you want... The whole leader system just kinda sucks.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Staltran posted:

You could also have leaders cost maintenance

Hell no, there's already too much poo poo that has maintenance costs in this game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Staltran posted:

But the bigger problem with leader cap that you only ever really need 2 governors, maybe 4 admirals at most, and 0 generals.
Been running a big empire and I disagree with this. For most of the game I was running around 6 distinct fleets and 3 systems including my core system and this got even worse when I started to really carve up the galaxy and had about 5 sectors and 8 fleets.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Shadowlyger posted:

Hell no, there's already too much poo poo that has maintenance costs in this game.

You're probably right. They could lower the energy maintenance on other stuff to compensate though.

Hunt11 posted:

Been running a big empire and I disagree with this. For most of the game I was running around 6 distinct fleets and 3 systems including my core system and this got even worse when I started to really carve up the galaxy and had about 5 sectors and 8 fleets.

Huh. I don't think I've ever had that many fleets. Did you have command limit problems, or actually wanted fleets in 6-8 different places? And why the hell do you have more than one (non-core) sector? If the others are 1-planet sectors just for the mineral/energy storage then I do that sometimes too, but then they don't really need governors.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Staltran posted:

Huh. I don't think I've ever had that many fleets. Did you have command limit problems, or actually wanted fleets in 6-8 different places? And why the hell do you have more than one (non-core) sector? If the others are 1-planet sectors just for the mineral/energy storage then I do that sometimes too, but then they don't really need governors.

This was late game about 2500 on the largest galaxy size. I had carved out about 30% or so of the galaxy at that point with vassals and was fighting a war against a federation that owned about 40% of the galaxy and due to gates, l-gates and fighting a total war my borders were nowhere near pretty enough to handle having only one sector.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Staltran posted:

You could also have leaders cost maintenance, and then allow you to go over the cap in exchange for increased maintenance for all leaders, just like naval and starbase caps work. That would probably require some economy rebalancing though. But the bigger problem with leader cap that you only ever really need 2 governors, maybe 4 admirals at most, and 0 generals. So you end up with a collection of a dozen scientists with different specialities. And then you need to swap them between assisting research and actually researching whenever you start researching a tech in a different field than the previous one, and possibly swapping in a new one just before that tech finishes so you have a better chance of drawing what you want. And once you run out of stuff to survey, scientist exp gain is just miserably slow. And when you're hiring a new scientist (or another leader, if an old one dies or something), you need to fire so many leaders until you roll one with a specialty you want... The whole leader system just kinda sucks.
I agree completely. The thread has talked about it before and I had posted what I think would be great:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What we get right now:
You have an open scientist slot... <Click recruit leader button>
1.) Jim Joe Bob | age 25 | Eager skill | cost: 100 Energy
2.) Benny Hill | age 60 | +25 Age cap skill | cost: 100 Energy
3.) Frederick Wester | age 48 | Maniacal | cost: 100 Energy

What I would like the most:
You have an open scientist slot...one has automatically been generated and has been assigned for free. This leader is relatively unremarkable but if they stay in this position they may develop into something remarkable. It is better than no leader but there are other options out there. <Click here to review potential candidates for this position>
pre:
#	Name		Age	Level	Trait(s)			Energy Cost
1.)	Wiz		35	4	Genius, Diligent		275
2.)	Johan 		50	5	Genius, Stubborn		240
3.)	DDR Jake	30	3	Eager, Likes New Mana Bars	225
4.)	QA Intern	22	1	Young				60
5.)	Senior Dev	45	3	Maniacal			175
6.)	Junior Dev	25	2	Dutiful Researcher		125
7.)	Self-taught Dev	30	1	Strong Work Ethic		75
8.)	Junior Dev	26	1	Stubborn			60
This way there would be genuine choice. You could pick a cheaper, younger option who may be around for a while, or a more experienced but expensive option that may not be around a while. I think then costs would have to scale over time, too, so that you dont always pick the highest skill one regardless of cost.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Staltran posted:

You're probably right. They could lower the energy maintenance on other stuff to compensate though.

That would be nice, yeah.

Like, get a mod that turns off maintenance costs just for mining and research stations. Marvel at how much more energy you have.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
How is time / pausing handled in multiplayer? If I want to co-op this another new player are we both going to get on each other's nerves quickly if we need to pause or speed up time?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Anyone can pause, only the host can change game speed. You should be fine, just pause sparingly and drop the speed if one of you starts to get overwhelmed. Don't speed up unilaterally as host.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Here's a fun quirk; Determined Exterminators can't crack Primitive Planets in their own borders.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So a feature I would like to see is the ability to build gateways in the lands of your vassals and, with permission, your allies.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Hunt11 posted:

So a feature I would like to see is the ability to build gateways in the lands of your vassals and, with permission, your allies.

Honestly I'd like to do this with Megastructures as well.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CrazyTolradi posted:

Honestly I'd like to do this with Megastructures as well.

I want to be able to build three dyson spheres in a trinary system.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So a guy I just clobbered in a war snuck a fleet through my territory while the open borders treaty was still in effect and murdered the curator station in my borders.

What the gently caress?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ice Fist posted:

So a guy I just clobbered in a war snuck a fleet through my territory while the open borders treaty was still in effect and murdered the curator station in my borders.

What the gently caress?

I guess he voted for Trump.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
This game is stuttering in a 800-size galaxy and I've only met three empires. What gives? loving Crashplan.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 21, 2018

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ice Fist posted:

What the gently caress?

What a hilarious dick move.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Psychotic Weasel posted:

That's odd, the Contigency are usually the end game crisis I run into most often. Followed by the Scourge in a somewhat close second. I very rarely see the Unbidden post 2.0 now, not sure why that is. I do often avoid going directly to Jump Drives since that changes were made - it's useful, sure but I find not as often as is used to be since it now has a massive debuff every time you use it.

I've had fun using the mod that allows multiple/all crises to occur. At the very least you'd be able to see the different ones!

In my last game that got to endgame, me and the last standing awakened FE spent around 80 years slowly beating the contingency while the prethoryn razed half the galaxy. The next 50 years were a slow losing fight to the prethoryn until the Unbidden showed up and thankfully spent half their effort fighting the pretoryn allowing me get the upper hand on both. (i may have rage cheated a full reinforcement once after a massive defeat by the prethoryn as well...)

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Hunt11 posted:

In regards to your second point that is already in the game.

If it is I haven't been getting it, instead I only notice something's up when my energy income goes negative from the penalties and the popup for that one shows up. :shrug:

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

binge crotching posted:

Why bother checking to see if they are currently researching it? Just check to see if they have it available at all, and if not add it as an option. If they have it as an option already, just add +10% or whatever. Since it's a repeating tech, you can just keep adding +10% at a time and it'll keep giving them tech until they finally stop losing ships to the crisis.
The problem is I want to preserve the tech scaling with planet count. For a tall empire, losing 1 planet should put you a long way towards getting a tech done- whilst for a large empire that can shrug off a few lost planets, it shouldn't be as substantial a boost.

quote:

Two ways of doing it. One is to simply edit the crisis spawn events to add the appropriate tech for everyone. Probably the simplest method, but does mean it won't be compatible with anything else that changes the crisis event files.

The second way would be to check for the existence of the crisis event country. Make the trigger something like:
Yeah that's an easy enough fix. The main annoyance was the repeatable tech thing. You should *always* have the anti-crisis tech as an option during a crisis, but you can't force it.

quote:

I think there is a way to pull the previous owner of a planet when it is wiped. from_from might be it? You can also set a planet flag when bombardment starts (with a trigger to make it only get set when started by one of the event countries), and then record the owner in that flag. Have the flag get cleared when bombardment is either canceled or finishes, and grant the tech progress then.
Oooh, from_from sounds useful. Also, how do you store an empire in a flag to retrieve later?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Ice Fist posted:

What the gently caress?

This is amazing, especially since curator stations are decently strong.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Badboi civics getting open borders after a war might be dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

Badboi civics getting open borders after a war might be dumb.
Yeah, the it's kind if weird how much of the standard war rules the big 4 still abide by.

Auto-correct appropriately changed that to "abuse by".
Admirals and generals could probably be merged into a single "military" leader, with admirals vs generals being based on traits.

A while back someone suggested that instead of a hard limit on megastructures make them require leaders to build/function. I'd like to see leaders expanded in general, integrate them into more systems etc. There's a lot more stuff they could do.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 29, 2018