Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Vargs posted:

I don't really like Doomfire Warlocks. Their spells are only okay and they aren't very good in melee. Dark Elf cav is bad in general so I'd really rather just have a couple Dark Riders w/Crossbows to get flanking shots and run down routers.

I've been watching Turin murder the hell out of people with these things. The RoR version is particular looks pretty gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Has anyone given the new landmarks mod a try? would they recommend it or do the landmarks feel too out of place and mapwide powerful?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Is it just me being bad or is Khalida's ME start hard as hell? I don't see a way to take out the silver host quickly and they start throwing stacks of grave guards at me fairly soon.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Laughing Zealot posted:

Is it just me being bad or is Khalida's ME start hard as hell? I don't see a way to take out the silver host quickly and they start throwing stacks of grave guards at me fairly soon.

I haven't done that start in the latest patch but the way to do it, I found, was to assault Lahmia as early as you can. Ideally before they get any garrison buildings up. Once you beat down the Silver Host you're in a much stronger position, although you'll probably have to face Kroq-Gar too. I found that beating Kroq-Gar's army required two full stacks since Lizardmen have such a troop advantage over you.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Has anyone given the new landmarks mod a try? would they recommend it or do the landmarks feel too out of place and mapwide powerful?

Landmarks of the Old World? The bonuses may seem overpowering, but the AI is pretty good at building them. That there's a bunch of them spread out over the entire map doesn't seem to affect the balance too much imo. Might help, and once you steamroll up it still presents the same momentum problems as any Total War.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Any recommendations for a structured-ish start in ME? Tyrion’s vortex campaign is the only Total War I’ve played much, so something to add a bit of structure to my first time through a sandbox campaign might be nice.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Anno posted:

Any recommendations for a structured-ish start in ME? Tyrion’s vortex campaign is the only Total War I’ve played much, so something to add a bit of structure to my first time through a sandbox campaign might be nice.

ME is a free for all monster mash but I guess dwarf starts are pretty whackamole for a while. also doomfire warlocks own bones

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pendent posted:

I've been watching Turin murder the hell out of people with these things. The RoR version is particular looks pretty gross.

Yeah, the doomfire warlocks are great light cavalry with more staying power than their stats would give them credit for, and they fill the niche of "cavalry that's not awful" the Dark Elves were missing out on. Their debuff spell is also pretty great against armored factions.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Anno posted:

How structured exactly? Khemri and Brett start off with obvious challenges then give you lots of latitude to finish how you want once you’ve gotten big and strong.

Norsca also has several early objectives and a short victory that’s relatively achievable for ME.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Senor Dog posted:

How structured exactly? Khemri and Brett start off with obvious challenges then give you lots of latitude to finish how you want once you’ve gotten big and strong.

Norsca also has several early objectives and a short victory that’s relatively achievable for ME.

Just something that nudges me in a not-awful direction for the first 10 or 20 turns. Like I enjoyed that as Tyrion I could look at the map and just say, “Step 1, murder everything I need to in order to unify inner-Ulthuan.”

Settra was who I kinda wanted to play the most so I’m glad they have something like that. I just want to see murder cat prance around big groups of skeletons/Skaven/orcs.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Did they fix Grimgor so that he isnt SO different in the Mortal Empires Campaign compared to WH1?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm encountering a bug where captured towers don't actually switch sides and will unload on my own troops while they're on the wall. God bless mods.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker

Laughing Zealot posted:

My usual strategy is move towards the small town nearby, recruit 3 units -> Move close enough that you can capture the city on the 3rd turn and recruit 3 again -> Capture city + recruit 3 -> Move to edge of Lahmia and Recruit 3. Most of the time the Silver Host main army came out to fight me because they think your skeletons are lovely and bad (they are) but with 4 archers and your starting snakes you should be able to chump his stack then immediately siege Lahmia/finish his army off next turn. Lahmia's garrison on its own is a joke versus your ranged.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, the doomfire warlocks are great light cavalry with more staying power than their stats would give them credit for, and they fill the niche of "cavalry that's not awful" the Dark Elves were missing out on. Their debuff spell is also pretty great against armored factions.
Doomfire Warlocks are great. They're not Wild Riders (nothing is) but they're decent light cav with staying power and a good utility spell that lets your low- and mid-tier infantry punch even further above their weight when it comes to armor-piercing. They're Dark Riders with more utility, and having two in any army is nice just for that utility and artillery-hunting ability. The Dark Elves can't win cavalry fights anyway, so a unit of light cavalry that can still contribute somewhat through bound spells is pretty handy.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

-Was looking at faster end turn camera and seemed to be a lot of people complaining of crashes, anyone using it have any issues with it?

I use it and don't have any problems with crashes. Maybe it's a conflict issue; I don't run too many other mods compared to some, and they tend to be pretty simple ones.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Man, the wood elves are so broken in campaign it's ridiculous. Their red line lord skills improve every single unit, it's crazy. Once you get Durthu or Orion high enough, you can just crush armies. And their tech tree is tiny, and also amazing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ardent Communist posted:

Man, the wood elves are so broken in campaign it's ridiculous. Their red line lord skills improve every single unit, it's crazy. Once you get Durthu or Orion high enough, you can just crush armies. And their tech tree is tiny, and also amazing.

Welcome to 2016 friend

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

botany posted:

it was connected already (sorcerer's islands)

Fairly sure the road (where trade actually does travel with) snakes into Lashiek from ur capital before it goes into Sorcerer's island, thus ur capital was not properly connected to a port for the trade network to function.
I could be wring and can't boot up the game at the moment to double check, but it has happened to me before with some provinces where the road doesn't connect directly with adjacent regions.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Is there a trick to taking karak eight peaks as Skarsnik? This gattle is ridiculous even for my three gobbo armies

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Jarvisi posted:

Is there a trick to taking karak eight peaks as Skarsnik? This gattle is ridiculous even for my three gobbo armies

In the first game I had most success as Skarsnik by consolidating my lands in the north for a fair while and then when I was fairly secure marching south with a million goblins. The Skarsnik penalty for not having 8 peaks is pretty mild compared to Belegar's so it's probably easier to build a huge empire and then go for 8 peaks.

Also abusing ambush stance to lure the AI into battles was something I did a lot as Skarsnik.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Jarvisi posted:

Send an army in to siege the city then fight the two armies standing outside who now can’t be reinforced by the city. Or lightning strike them down with skarsnik.

As for taking the city itself, try to breach its walls a couple times with sly the miser. Or starve em out.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Skarsnik keeps signing peace deals with the mutinous gits in my games. Is that even possible as a player?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Jarvisi posted:

Use your regiments of renown well because he has AP Night Goblins, AP Night Goblin Archers, Poison Night Goblins, and Poison NG Archers and you'll probably have those and the Wolf + Spider rider RoR by that point to. Mix those with only the types of regiments you've specced Skarsnik to buff. You won't have time to siege it, probably, since there are shitloads of other armies around there trying to take you down, so bring like 4 units of Rock Lobbers.

Proceed normally from there and expect to lose a stack or two, but since its nicely fortified one you have skarsnik in there with his army it'll be defensible until you can build back up and attack the typically thinly spread Greenskins next door

anyway playing as the Dark Elves I haven't used an ark yet but they better be fuckin worth not having global recruitment for a faction that relies on going places far away and taking their poo poo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Skarsnik keeps signing peace deals with the mutinous gits in my games. Is that even possible as a player?

nope, can't negotiate with them or angrund

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Frog Act posted:

anyway playing as the Dark Elves I haven't used an ark yet but they better be fuckin worth not having global recruitment for a faction that relies on going places far away and taking their poo poo

lol

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Finally getting the hang of VH Norsca. I've realized that defending territory and sinking lots of cash into upgrading buildings early on is a waste of time. Ignore hostile Norscan factions until it's convenient to beat their main stack, since any lost territory will be immediately recovered after force confederating them. If it wasn't I'd be hosed since Kraka Drak got sucked into the fight by their classic buddies the Vanaheimlings.

It was pretty funny, though, when I was able to beat and confederate Wulfrik with a garrison after he tried a sneak attack. If I do another campaign I'll probably try ignoring other Norscan tribes as long as possible so they pay to upgrade their buildings for me. The downside of the confederation is that legendary lords can't be disbanded, so I'm stuck with a new army causing a massive unit upkeep increase. Pretty sad that fully controlled Norsca can't come even close to supporting 2.1 stacks with its innate income.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

well, uh oh, that doesn't bode well. Lame cus I rely on global recruitment for financial purposes so I can maximize special buildings in my home province and outsource like, flying things or spears to a single adjacent province but thats gonna be slightly harder to use effectively vis-a-vis quickly building expensive doomstacks.

anyway so the Dark Elves seem to have a shitton of awesome trade goods all of the place but literally nobody will trade with me - is there a mod that addresses that?

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Dl the good goon made mod for DE that fixes CA's dumb murder boats. I forget the name hits is s'aas'something

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Genjor has a good mod for black arks. Use that or someone elses because otherwise they are not useful.

The AI will just go drive out to it and blow it up.

But if you can get one and keep it alive forever, the call ins help. The raiding bonuses are kinda meh.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
somebody help me understand what just happened:

i'm playing as arkhan. i'm reinforcing a badly wounded garrison, so my units spawn later as reinforcements. the attackers are mopping up my garrison as my main army spawns in. i'm still busy microing that stuff and waiting for everyone to appear on the map, when suddenly... something happens (?!) and literally all my infantry is half health. there was particle spam on them, but the enemy army was halfway across the map, definitely out of range of their melee infantry commander with zero magic skills. this is in my territory, so i'm at a loss. what just happened?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Norscan economy tip: after razing a settlement make sure you put the army back into raid stance. You won’t get any raiding income but you’ll still reduce upkeep by 20%, which is really important with their limited income

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

queef anxiety posted:

Dl the good goon made mod for DE that fixes CA's dumb murder boats. I forget the name hits is s'aas'something
Gejnor's the modder, and its definitely easier to find by searching for him and then looking for Sa'a'sha'nish'aar or whatever the gently caress. And yes, its a nice change to the murderboats, but I still dream of the day Black Arks get their own custom battlemap so you're not reliant on RNG, a garrison/near-free units like Gejnor's mod, and can raze/sack coastal cities for more growth.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Could they have had a big morale shock and crumbled for a while when your garrison died?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Frog Act posted:

Worth mentioning the upgraded "good vs artillery" Black Ark bombardment isn't very good vs artillery, but it is pretty much the most overpowered thing in the world on walls. Entire unit of enemy swordmasters/chosen just walked out of a siege tower? Click bombardment, delete unit.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Eschatos posted:

Finally getting the hang of VH Norsca. I've realized that defending territory and sinking lots of cash into upgrading buildings early on is a waste of time. Ignore hostile Norscan factions until it's convenient to beat their main stack, since any lost territory will be immediately recovered after force confederating them. If it wasn't I'd be hosed since Kraka Drak got sucked into the fight by their classic buddies the Vanaheimlings.

It was pretty funny, though, when I was able to beat and confederate Wulfrik with a garrison after he tried a sneak attack. If I do another campaign I'll probably try ignoring other Norscan tribes as long as possible so they pay to upgrade their buildings for me. The downside of the confederation is that legendary lords can't be disbanded, so I'm stuck with a new army causing a massive unit upkeep increase. Pretty sad that fully controlled Norsca can't come even close to supporting 2.1 stacks with its innate income.

You can replace him with a different lord then disband that one. It’s bottom right on the screen where you’d give wukfrik items or followers.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Gejnor's the modder, and its definitely easier to find by searching for him and then looking for Sa'a'sha'nish'aar or whatever the gently caress. And yes, its a nice change to the murderboats, but I still dream of the day Black Arks get their own custom battlemap so you're not reliant on RNG, a garrison/near-free units like Gejnor's mod, and can raze/sack coastal cities for more growth.

I couldn't find this mod with a cursory look but I'm sure I'll find it shortly, if someone could link it in case I can't that'd be dope. the only black ark mod I could find was outdated.

also goddamn, Darkshards are insane. I have my one Naggaroth Guard (which has an armor of like 80 and shields) and I lost track of them for ~3 seconds when I was using them to flank, and an enemy squad got four volleys into them and killed 25 instantly

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

botany posted:

i'm playing as arkhan. i'm reinforcing a badly wounded garrison, so my units spawn later as reinforcements. the attackers are mopping up my garrison as my main army spawns in. i'm still busy microing that stuff and waiting for everyone to appear on the map, when suddenly... something happens (?!) and literally all my infantry is half health. there was particle spam on them, but the enemy army was halfway across the map, definitely out of range of their melee infantry commander with zero magic skills. this is in my territory, so i'm at a loss. what just happened?

Would probably help if you mentioned what race the opponent was, I'm going to guess it was tomb kings and you took a hero or general down below 50% and got cursed.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

botany posted:

Sounds like Tomb Swarm.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't think black arks are that bad.... then again I don't play on very high difficulties.

I think the key point is that by sacking lots, you get enough slaves that you can build multiple backup arks. Later in the game, also, you can research techs to improve black ark growth substantially. It sucks for an ark to be sniped if they are your One Big High Tier Ark, but when you have four or five lower tier ones it's not that big a deal and you can recover quickly. You won't be sniped too often also if you aren't at war with too many factions simultaneously, they will be too busy trying to hold off your armies. In terms of relative to global recruitment it's nice that you can recruit a lot faster from them than otherwise. You really only need a raider lodge on them to have decent basic recruitment, and darkshards will be enough to win the game with as the Dark Elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

It's cool that they have a sort of area of effect like navies in Shogun 2, makes them much more interesting than just a floating horde mechanic

I found the mod for the black arks and they seem to be considerably better with it according to comments so I recruited one and it's been helpful conquering the DLC lady with Malekith thus far

Also: is there any use to trade resources besides trading outside of their listed effects like Marble reducing building costs?