Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Awkward for pog boyfriend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

pog boyfriend posted:

have you tried landing your abilities chief. like i hate to be that guy but this reads almost entirely like "i do not know how to use the abilities well :("

Aatrox has a 35% winrate since the changes.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Is it just me or is it real hard to get S ranks in the jungle? Feels like they want you to power farm like a maniac and don't give enough credit for kills and assists.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I don't understand why they nerfed vlad when he had a flat 50% win rate in all lanes.

In other news, this is my first season and I just hit S1. Hoping to get gold by end of week.

http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=Enigma89

Playing mid really helped me climb, playing ADC was like having my nails pulled. I love Draven but if I go 5-0 in my lane as Draven, I can still very much lose the game. If I go 5-0 mid as Vlad then the game is loving over.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Perhaps you are on to why he is getting a nerf

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Perhaps you are on to why he is getting a nerf

I mean to be fair there are a lot of mid heroes that if you go 5-0 its over (in my rank at least)

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It's a good nerf. Vladimir doesn't really feel the weak early game he is supposed to feel. Games are short, but they're not so short that needing level 6 to be scary is a weakness. He also has phenomenal AP ratios (or at least had .2 AoE ratio last patch), so when he snowballs he snowballs exceptionally hard since his ult multiplies it to feel like an even bigger ratio. Nerfing his AoE burst makes him more reliant on landing a big Q if he wants to 100-0 someone without two rounds of his E. It also doesn't help that he was one of the champions of choice for supplanting marksmen bot lane, which is a bad sign. This nerf will not end up being that scary since he wants to get a lot of penetration before the death cap anyway, but it does trim off 100-150 magic damage for the marksmen class to not get one shot by RQE if they buy a defensive item.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Vlad literally had 2.8 AP ratios on top of his trollpool, before hemoplague (so 3.08 after)

You know who has less ratios than that? An Anivia who hits you with both halves of Q, a boosted E, and four seconds of ult. It's loving retarded that such a safe champion's damage is so high.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Transient People posted:

Vlad literally had 2.8 AP ratios on top of his trollpool, before hemoplague (so 3.08 after)

You know who has less ratios than that? An Anivia who hits you with both halves of Q, a boosted E, and four seconds of ult. It's loving retarded that such a safe champion's damage is so high.

But then what explains his pretty meh win rate? 50% isn't anything to go crazy about. If he was really broken his win rate would be higher than 50%.

In DotA, you would never see a nerf to a hero with such an even win rate.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Enigma89 posted:

But then what explains his pretty meh win rate? 50% isn't anything to go crazy about. If he was really broken his win rate would be higher than 50%.

Most vlads are chimps who see the fact vlad can 1v5, forget they're baddies, and run it down repeatedly

that's literally it, the champion is super not balanced

Leblanc was 45% winrate when she was pick/ban in competitive, winrate ain't poo poo in this game until it hits 56%ish

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Enigma89 posted:

Average winrates tell you dick-all unless they're at severe extremes (typically less than 45% or more than 55%). Average winrates get skewed heavily by people with limited experience playing the champion, especially if they suddenly become meta, or if they have high skill caps to play to their fullest potential. I know I've told this story a lot before, but I had a 60% average winrate climbing through Platinum as support Lux when her average winrate was something abysmal like 46%. Winrate as a factor of games played is usually a better metric to track, since that at least indicates if the champion sees winrate spikes once people become experienced with them, but even that doesn't tell the whole story.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Transient People posted:

Most vlads are chimps who see the fact vlad can 1v5, forget they're baddies, and run it down repeatedly

that's literally it, the champion is super not balanced

Leblanc was 45% winrate when she was pick/ban in competitive, winrate ain't poo poo in this game until it hits 56%ish

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't vlad's win rate pretty meh also in competitive play? I know he is getting picked in a lot of different lanes but he isn't really crushing it anywhere.

Vermain posted:

Average winrates tell you dick-all unless they're at severe extremes (typically less than 45% or more than 55%). Average winrates get skewed heavily by people with limited experience playing the champion, especially if they suddenly become meta, or if they have high skill caps to play to their fullest potential. Winrate as a factor of games played is usually a better metric to track, since that at least indicates if the champion sees winrate spikes once people become experienced with them, but even that doesn't tell the whole story.

This is a good point. In DotA everyone pretty much plays everything. In this game it seems like people have such a narrow hero pool. So the data probably skews pretty hard. The only thing I would say is that if a hero has a pretty high skill cap then that should be a reason to keep him strong as an incentive for people to learn him to his fullest potential.

I duno, I come from another game so I am seeing/thinking about all of this from a different lens. I do think that the balancing in general in this game is really weird compared to DotA. I can't believe that marksman change was made mid season. That seems really odd to me. This game is fun and it's not as lovely as I thought it would be but the balancing is probably one of the worst things about this game IMO. It really seems heavy handed to me. I have mentioned this before to other people and the general reaction is that this is a weird time in league.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 28, 2018

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Enigma89 posted:

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't vlad's win rate pretty meh also in competitive play? I know he is getting picked in a lot of different lanes but he isn't really crushing it anywhere.

His pro winrate on 8.12 is 48% (35 games) which is spiking from 42% on 8.11 (89 games, 33% on 8.10 but only picked 3 times) without any actual balance changes. It's probably seeing his winrate climbing fast and trying to do something before he starts to hit that 55-60% winrate.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Enigma89 posted:

This is a good point. In DotA everyone pretty much plays everything. In this game it seems like people have such a narrow hero pool. So the data probably skews pretty hard.

A large part of the reason why Vlad's picking up a low winrate is because you're seeing people who are clearly uncomfortable on Vlad getting forced to play him by the whims of the meta. Vlad is simple mechanically but requires drat good execution to pull off the successful 1v5s you can sometimes see. He's still getting a 70.3% P/B rate in LCK, which is indicative of teams understanding how powerful he is in the right hands.

League is different to DotA in that specialization is less crippling due to the lack of hard counterpicks. You tend to see the most concentrated champion pools at around the middle of the divisions (typically Plat -> Diamond). People around this MMR tend to have practiced a champion extensively and mastered it enough to beat a lot of people out of pure experience, but don't have the game knowledge or mentality to climb much higher than that. Below that, you tend to see very broad champion pools (to the point that the first piece of advice I'd give anyone looking to play ranked for the first time is to cut your pool down to a max of 3 picks). Above that, you also tend to see very broad champion pools, simply because people who reach Masters/Challenger tend to have been there for a while and understand the value of adhering closer to the meta.

Enigma89 posted:

I have mentioned this before to other people and the general reaction is that this is a weird time in league.

I would argue that this is the biggest change to the core game experience they've made in years, even moreso than Runes Reforged. They're generally a soft touch when it comes to balancing. If you time travel back in this thread to the start of the 2018 season, there's probably several pages of all of us collectively wondering why the gently caress they hadn't nerfed Zoe yet after close to a month of her being the most obnoxious piece of poo poo in the game.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 28, 2018

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

njsykora posted:

His pro winrate on 8.12 is 48% (35 games) which is spiking from 42% on 8.11 (89 games, 33% on 8.10 but only picked 3 times) without any actual balance changes. It's probably seeing his winrate climbing fast and trying to do something before he starts to hit that 55-60% winrate.

All teams and pub players have a ban and if they want to waste it on a hero that has a sub-50% win rate then they have that choice.

I duno guys... Just seems very heavy handed. I could maybe understand if he it was a pub stomping hero that gets shut down in pros due to pro-coordination.

I guess this is one of these dota/league differences and I am a bit bias/butt hurt because he is my new hero that I started playing.

I do appreciate the comments/context/info.

Vermain posted:

A large part of the reason why Vlad's picking up a low winrate is because you're seeing people who are clearly uncomfortable on Vlad getting forced to play him by the whims of the meta. Vlad is simple mechanically but requires drat good execution to pull off the successful 1v5s you can sometimes see. He's still getting a 70.3% P/B rate in LCK, which is indicative of teams understanding how powerful he is in the right hands.

League is different to DotA in that specialization is less crippling due to the lack of hard counterpicks. You tend to see the most concentrated champion pools at around the middle of the divisions (typically Plat -> Diamond). People around this MMR tend to have practiced a champion extensively and mastered it enough to beat a lot of people out of pure experience, but don't have the game knowledge or mentality to climb much higher than that. Below that, you tend to see very broad champion pools (to the point that the first piece of advice I'd give anyone looking to play ranked for the first time is to cut your pool down to a max of 3 picks). Above that, you also tend to see very broad champion pools, simply because people who reach Masters/Challenger tend to have been there for a while and understand the value of adhering closer to the meta.

I would argue that this is the biggest change to the core game experience they've made in years, even moreso than Runes Reforged. They're generally a soft touch when it comes to balancing. If you time travel back in this thread to the start of the 2018 season, there's probably several pages of all of us collectively wondering why the gently caress they hadn't nerfed Zoe yet after close to a month of her being the most obnoxious piece of poo poo in the game.

Thanks!

e:
I was around during that zoe time too! I remember that poo poo.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's often difficult to understand why a champion is being nerfed unless you play at the highest level in solo queue or professional. Riot collects a massive amount of data on games played in solo queue and has several statistical software suites dedicated to parsing it out into a form that can be used to generate overall trends, which is frequently what they use to guide their balance decisions. If you're in a lower MMR division and see a nerf to your favorite champion, the "how" often isn't obvious merely by looking at op.gg or reading Reddit or whatever, especially when you have neither the high MMR experience nor the statistics Riot is using. They don't always get it right, but that's the unfortunate reality of trying to balance a system that's so heavily interconnected (in the sense that adjusting a single champion or item can have a sudden, dramatic knock-on effect on completely unrelated areas of the game).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Enigma89 posted:

I guess this is one of these dota/league differences and I am a bit bias/butt hurt because he is my new hero that I started playing.

Nobody likes their main getting nerfed, but also you're in Silver and if you play a decent Vlad the nerfs aren't going to matter to you for the most part so long as you adapt to them and don't play like your damage is exactly the same. Watching people who don't read patch notes go all-in L3 and realise way too late that they do less damage or have less mana and get killed is a great joy.

Vermain posted:

It's often difficult to understand why a champion is being nerfed unless you play at the highest level in solo queue or professional. Riot collects a massive amount of data on games played in solo queue and has several statistical software suites dedicated to parsing it out into a form that can be used to generate overall trends, which is frequently what they use to guide their balance decisions. If you're in a lower MMR division and see a nerf to your favorite champion, the "how" often isn't obvious merely by looking at op.gg or reading Reddit or whatever, especially when you have neither the high MMR experience nor the statistics Riot is using. They don't always get it right, but that's the unfortunate reality of trying to balance a system that's so heavily interconnected (in the sense that adjusting a single champion or item can have a sudden, dramatic knock-on effect on completely unrelated areas of the game).

Also, people bitching about said champ being super OP on Reddit and champs just having too high/low pick rate can affect buff/nerf stuff. Sometimes a champ will just get a small buff to remind people they exist (hello Skarner).

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 28, 2018

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

Boy this isn't even slightly true

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Radical posted:

Boy this isn't even slightly true

I cant think of one and I have been playing for ten years.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

dota balance changes are decided by consulting tea leaves and pulling numbered balls out of a tumbler, i really wouldn't try to understand them or apply their logic to anything

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Vermain posted:

I don't agree with that. Riot can be extremely heavy handed, even if they no longer literally intentionally make champions unplayable like they did to Eve or Olaf before remakes. They're a little less knee-jerk now but they definitely make big changes to fix small problems, it's rare for something to go from OP to balanced and much more common to go from OP to really underpowered to make sure they're not still OP.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

I cant think of one and I have been playing for ten years.

The game was (probably still is) balanced around comp play, hence why Omniknight or Abbadon can get buffed while being 55%+ winrate or Chen/Enchantress can get nerfed while being 45% winrate. The change to Vlad was also for competitive play, since he was quite balanced at lower MMRs. The change is entirely consistent with the reasoning behind changes in DotA. I think a good example of this specific case is like Q/W Invoker when they changed how Tornado+EMP interacted. His public winrate wasn't crazy but he was popular and in almost every competitive game so it got changed.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
They've tried to not sledgehammer a champ out of existence in the past few years though I'm sure there's outliers. They got in a lot of poo poo when they broke Olaf's legs off and beat him to death with them so they are probably trying to avoid it.

If anything they need to be a little less trigger happy on hotfixes because you end up with poo poo like Kai'sa being a menace for several patches

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

All teams and pub players have a ban and if they want to waste it on a hero that has a sub-50% win rate then they have that choice.

I duno guys... Just seems very heavy handed. I could maybe understand if he it was a pub stomping hero that gets shut down in pros due to pro-coordination.

If you play fighting games, a good comparison to Vlad is Zero in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. Zero barely won any tournaments, but in spite of that he was considered either the best or second best character in the game because he could one-touch-kill literally every character in the game if he managed to build a bar (getting a bar was trivial, especially if you had at least one teammate to use assists to extend your combos) and his mix-up on incoming was a 12.5% chance of escaping unless you were way in the Zero player's head and knew what trick he was gonna try this time. He was incredibly noninteractive and super broken, and the only reason he wasn't more prevalent is the best players were lazy and didn't like using him and the bad players were, well, baddies. Vlad is in the same situation - his numbers are literally not fair and they never can be until they're smacked down a bunch, because they're humongous under the impression that he will have to kill bruisers and tanks with them and take a ton of free damage from carries before he can get to them, most of the time. The existence of Protobelt, Predator, Shurelya's and Spellbinder eliminate that weakness and leave him as just an uncontrollable diver who oneshots carries inescapably in a way that is completely unmanageable if the game goes long enough due to Blood Pact giving him too many stats for him to be bursted through the trollpool.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 28, 2018

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah I am an awful midlaner and there's lots of games where I'm like 2-7 lategame but then I flash in and one hit their adc and support, vlad needed a nerf

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
riot both does extremely stupid, heavy-handed compound nerfs (like nerfing a champion, the champions two favourite items and their best keystone in one patch when any one of the things would have been adequate, or nerfing marksmen itemization and then also nerfing their base stats) and also engage in stupid light-touch feather nerfs like taking away 0.0246819 base AD growth away from someone with a 65% win rate. they also have the twin habits of taking someone thats OK, changing the way they work, and then leaving them to rot in hell or doing the exact opposite and just context-free ripping the champion back from 17 patches ago and saying OOPS (kog, leblanc)

their balancing is not extremely bad or particularly good but it often feels like two departments with radically different goals and perspectives are working on the game simultaneously

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Enigma89 posted:

Thanks!

e:
I was around during that zoe time too! I remember that poo poo.

the answer is that vlad is being nerfed because of his p/b ubiquity in pro play and it has absolutely nothing to do with solo queue

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
So apparently if I want to do these current event missions I have to choose whether I want to support Garen or Darius.

Looks like the only winning move is not to play.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

stay resolute

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

You finally won the game.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What kind of boring normies chose Garen puke emoji

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Choose freedom. Choose dunks.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

njsykora posted:

Choose freedom. Choose dunks.
That freedom Koolaid tastes pretty purple.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Teikanmi posted:

What kind of boring normies chose Garen puke emoji

DEMACIA, bitch

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if you arent screaming demacia at pubbies constantly why do you even have the game installed

Svensken
May 29, 2010
Why scream Demacia when you can scream for noxus smdh

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Svensken posted:

Why scream Demacia when you can scream for noxus smdh

More people have had bad experiences with a fed Darius than a fed Garen. Also garens icon looks better.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

and his dance moves are better

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Say what you will about authoritarian rear end in a top hat Garen, that dance is top tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
Excuse me? Darius dances with his puppy. That is untouchable.