Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Zark the Damned posted:

Talking of which I just found this - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1901134344/frogs-team-football-fantasy - those froggos are hella cute and GW will never make an official Slaan team. Also I love Morg n Frog and the Kemit Chainsaw looney :D

I’m not sure why it’s so funny to me that Kermit’s name is Gustavo Wulf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Zark the Damned posted:

So, apparently this is a thing - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/isaacfoursouls/the-binding-of-isaac-four-souls

A Binding of Isaac card game. Featuring lots of dice rolling and randomness and (presumably) little actual strategy beyond 'get good cards and roll well to win'.

Yeah I feel bad about backing it since it'll probably never see the table beyond trying it once, but Edmund deserves more of my money for the amount of hours I've put into both Isaacs.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Vaguido posted:

Yeah I feel bad about backing it since it'll probably never see the table beyond trying it once, but Edmund deserves more of my money for the amount of hours I've put into both Isaacs.

Yeah I'm basically backing it for the same reason as dasharez0ne game, Isaac Four Souls doesn't look great but I wanna see the cards

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Tuesday Knight Games, the Two Rooms and a Boom people, have a new game up on KS: That's Not Lemonade! a game that hints you might be drinking piss. It's a push your luck game that's probably the simplest version of the mechanic I've ever seen. Shipping for anywhere other than the US is insane however.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zark the Damned posted:

So, apparently this is a thing - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/isaacfoursouls/the-binding-of-isaac-four-souls

A Binding of Isaac card game. Featuring lots of dice rolling and randomness and (presumably) little actual strategy beyond 'get good cards and roll well to win'.

It looks like Munchkin: Binding of Isaac. Definite no-go for me even though I have 666+ hours between Isaac and Rebirth, and even though the base game is only £19 + shipping.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

is that thing even paintable

They actually look like they'd be pretty easy to paint to me. I just thing it's funny that there are so many kickstarters selling "mound of melted torsos" miniatures.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Tuesday Knight Games, the Two Rooms and a Boom people, have a new game up on KS: That's Not Lemonade! a game that hints you might be drinking piss. It's a push your luck game that's probably the simplest version of the mechanic I've ever seen. Shipping for anywhere other than the US is insane however.

It's cute I guess, totally for kids with some gross humor. Though it seems like there is no interaction between players beyond light bluffing about how many ice cubes/doubles you have? I guess if you don't like the exploding kittens art...

Personally for bluffing game Sheriff is going to be more interesting an actual game.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Dungeon Degenerates second printing just went up, if anyone was waiting. Shipping to the EU seems reasonable, and there are early bird pledges.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Dungeon Degenerates second printing just went up, if anyone was waiting. Shipping to the EU seems reasonable, and there are early bird pledges.

The art is obviously incredible, but has anyone played it? Seems a bit... Talismany, from my limited Googling.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
One last reminder about my Final Bid Kickstarter, which is in its last 48 hours now. We've successfully funded, by some small miracle, so if you want to hop on in and grab this auction-based movie game that's been described as "like Fiasco but better" and "the same emotional impact as Mario Party," you've got a little more time to do that.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

BinaryDoubts posted:

The art is obviously incredible, but has anyone played it? Seems a bit... Talismany, from my limited Googling.
BGG has some session reports, I think? And a bunch of people who loathe the art.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The new Fragged Empire kickstarter just launched, featuring a short PDF-only supplement for piloting giant gasoline powered robots in a war-torn land. It'll also add mecha rules for the base game to the Fragged Empire: Hacked sourcebook. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wadedyer/fragged-dieselpunk-mecha-rpg

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

BinaryDoubts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7FHHYDRMWc

It seems really really fiddly. It should've just been an OSR game with great art.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I don't see the point if it doesn't glow under a black light

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

unseenlibrarian posted:

The new Fragged Empire kickstarter just launched, featuring a short PDF-only supplement for piloting giant gasoline powered robots in a war-torn land. It'll also add mecha rules for the base game to the Fragged Empire: Hacked sourcebook. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wadedyer/fragged-dieselpunk-mecha-rpg

Oh, I didn’t realize they were updating Hacked as well. It’s weird to have to rebuy it to get those rules, IMO, versus having them as an appendix in the Mecha sourcebook I wonder why he’s doing that.

E: I asked, and of course he’s going to update Hacked for all current owners. Duh.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 29, 2018

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

homullus posted:

I don't see the point if it doesn't glow under a black light
Unfortunately this is just a reprint. Stretch goal for second edition though...

Henker
May 5, 2009

BinaryDoubts posted:

I've played it, closest comparison would be the Fallout board game. They're both sort of adventure games where you move around a overworld map, fight monsters, and complete quests. I vastly prefer this game over Fallout though - Fallout ended up feeling kind of lifeless and 'sterile' to me. You can tell Dungeon Degenerates was absolutely a passion project for the creators and they managed to pack a lot of charm into their weird-rear end fantasy world on drugs.

The game's definitely fiddly as hell though and the rulebook is really obtuse at first (the rules video linked earlier didn't exist when I first played the game). I read somewhere that the creator responsible for the rulebook is the son of a traditional wargames author, which makes sense. The game is basically pure 70-80s, for both the good and bad that entails.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Has anybody in the UK received their copy of Founders of Gloonhaven yet? There was an email saying shipping had started but that was a couple of weeks ago now

Mojo Jojo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 1, 2018

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Did anyone around here back The Happiest Apocalypse on Earth? I just found the game and am curious a) if it's actually a decent implementation of PbtA and b) if the horror themes are developed at all or if it's just spooooky Cthulutropeland.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Zurui posted:

Did anyone around here back The Happiest Apocalypse on Earth? I just found the game and am curious a) if it's actually a decent implementation of PbtA and b) if the horror themes are developed at all or if it's just spooooky Cthulutropeland.

I didn't back that, but the pitch makes me skeptical. Above and beyond the very limp satire elements, some of the PbtA mechanics look wonky -- "assemble your own playbooks!" seems to miss the entire point of playbooks, among other things.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mojo Jojo posted:

Has anybody in the UK received their copy of Flounders if Gloonhaven yet? There was an email saying shipping had started but that was a couple of weeks ago now

Traditional Games › TG Kickstarter Thread 3: Flounders if Gloonhaven

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Antivehicular posted:

I didn't back that, but the pitch makes me skeptical. Above and beyond the very limp satire elements, some of the PbtA mechanics look wonky -- "assemble your own playbooks!" seems to miss the entire point of playbooks, among other things.

Yeah, looking over the chargen sample they've posted a link to it looks like it's going to fall into the very blatant PbtA sins of too many moves and move-adjacent add-ons and not enough time spent hammering any of it into the sort of sharp, thematic focus that PbtA really needs. Also it's Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide, not "conscious," c'mon guys.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
There's nothing inherently wrong with building your own playbook. I really like the way Uncharted Worlds lets you use pieces (an Origin and two Careers) to build a playbook. Each has a set of advancements and moves and they set your goals for gaining XP.

Goddamn, that character sheet for Happiest is something else, though.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Echophonic posted:

There's nothing inherently wrong with building your own playbook. I really like the way Uncharted Worlds lets you use pieces (an Origin and two Careers) to build a playbook. Each has a set of advancements and moves and they set your goals for gaining XP.

Goddamn, that character sheet for Happiest is something else, though.

Yeah, but they're still partial-playbooks within set themes. There's still a PbtA-esque consistency to "Ex-military trader from an agricultural world," for example. Those are distinct parts with their own themes you're adding together.

This feels more like... There's just one playbook with lots more options, instead of multiple distinct playbooks.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ElegantFugue posted:

Yeah, but they're still partial-playbooks within set themes. There's still a PbtA-esque consistency to "Ex-military trader from an agricultural world," for example. Those are distinct parts with their own themes you're adding together.

This feels more like... There's just one playbook with lots more options, instead of multiple distinct playbooks.

Plus looking over the moves there's stuff for, like, hacking computers and fixing machinery and negotiating trades, none of which immediately leap to mind when I think of "horror theme park adventures" but absolutely do leap to mind when I think of someone trying to cram a conventional RPG approach to "well there need to be skills to cover all possibilities" into a PbtA framework.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Kai Tave posted:

Plus looking over the moves there's stuff for, like, hacking computers and fixing machinery and negotiating trades, none of which immediately leap to mind when I think of "horror theme park adventures" but absolutely do leap to mind when I think of someone trying to cram a conventional RPG approach to "well there need to be skills to cover all possibilities" into a PbtA framework.

Judging from what I gathered from the +1 Forward appearance, the PCs are tasked with keeping the park running without murdering everyone, in which those moves could make sense. A game like this needs laser-tight design and thematic focus though and the author seems to have mistaken toolkit design for game design which is a cardinal sin in PbtA.

Oh well. Glad I didn't drop $10 on another game that I'll have to complete before I can run it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
hey so people with too much money, the 7th continent pledge manager is open for late pledges until the 31st, although from the wording they may run out of copies to make available to new people before then. Delivery is apparently Q1 2019, "Wave 2," at this point.

other exciting news: welsh trains, a game where they shred the components or something?, and saving the extremely best for last, a funny card game where the goal is to pick up the girls in the city and convince them to “go pantieless”. So, use your best Sweet Talk skills, unleash Private Detectives, and entrust to the most powerful Love Potion knowledge about girls, to ensure they help you with your bet by showing their alluring side. But be careful! Bad Luck can be right around the corner ready to strike with the fearsome Police on the Lookout, and other catastrophes.Even your friends may not be so loyal and try to put a Spoke in Your Wheel...

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 3, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The British are a degenerate people

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

that's certainly a fetish kickstarter

there is literally nothing else to say about it

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jedit posted:

Traditional Games › TG Kickstarter Thread 3: Flounders if Gloonhaven

well, I laughed out loud, anyway

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The reprint of The Mountain Witch reprint has about 7 hours left.

Mountain Witch is sort of the forgotten yet important link that led from Ron Edwards' Sorcerer to Apocalypse World. In fact, you can see stuff in this game that clearly influenced the later game. Unfortunately, it's been out of print for ages.

At it's core, the game is about a group of ronin hired to climb Mt. Fuji, infiltrate the castle stronghold of the witch O-Yanma, and kill him. But aart from the expected traps and creatures, each ronin has to deal with their own pasts, goals, and the lack of trust between each of them.

Mountain Witch is an important game in terms of the history of the hobby, because it introduced a lot of concepts we pretty much take for granted. Like a mechanical Trust mechanic, giving individual characters secret (and potential conflicting) personal goals. A large part of the book is a discussion of when to roll the dice, and why you should (or shouldn't). I highly recommend it, either as a playable game or a really interesting discussion about RPG mechanics.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Is it a reprint or a new game edition?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Is it a reprint or a new game edition?
The latter.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Missed it by that much.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Spellbound Kingdoms Arcana is, apparently, back from the dead.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

dwarf74 posted:

Spellbound Kingdoms Arcana is, apparently, back from the dead.
Told ya.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Foglet posted:

Told ya.
Yeah, but I'm still not thrilled.

6 months' radio silence is not okay.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

It's not great, no, but it's a small enough project that I'm not losing any sleep over it.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Here's one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/265550568/folded-space-board-game-inserts-and-organisers-cam

Seems to decently ride the line between effort and expense for organizers. Cheapish, but you don't have to cut up a ton of foam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, but I'm still not thrilled.

6 months' radio silence is not okay.

Yeah it's a shame - at least it's a 'i'm back and i've written the thing' update and not a 'i'm back and going to work on the thing again'

Been really looking forward to this one.