Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Edit: wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
One of the weirder instances of racism that I've seen was when my Indian boss who was born, raised and educated in India had weird prejudices against the other Indian engineers that were being hired.

One comment in particular was that I was told explicitly to not give the new Indian engineer access to the communal printer because 'he'd just waste all the paper'.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The caste system is properly alive and well

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What Thanks Ants said. Also, internalized racism / misogyny is very much a thing.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I killed my entire afternoon shitposting yesterday, but jaegerx's meltdown reminded me of something.

Where the gently caress is Dick Trauma?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

He posts in the Trump thread, as the resident old, fairly often.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=results&qid=1530215950

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

One of the weirder instances of racism that I've seen was when my Indian boss who was born, raised and educated in India had weird prejudices against the other Indian engineers that were being hired.

One comment in particular was that I was told explicitly to not give the new Indian engineer access to the communal printer because 'he'd just waste all the paper'.
When I worked at Time Inc., there were signs in the bathrooms directing people to put used toilet paper in the toilet and not the garbage can, but only the ones near the QA team

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Out 72 year old receptionist used the term “friend of the family toes” when talking about Brazil nuts today

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sickening posted:

150k+ is about the floor for any company wanting middling to upper talent. Only the dregs are trying to hire people people for much below that.

A few days behind, but would you entertain a long-time computer janitor with aspirations and delusions of grandeur, for a lot less than $150K? As it happens, I'm in DFW and not completely satisfied with being a "permanent contractor"...

GreenNight posted:

I want some pizza. My work is so loving cheap when it comes to free food/stuff. We don't even get free coffee. It's 25 cents a cup.

That's certainly one thing I can't complain about at my current contract. The coffee is free and decent, we get fruit baskets two or three times a week, there's nut dispensers up on one floor, and they frequently cater in something. Like, this week, it's quarter end, so we got lunch from Babe's today, and from a Taco place tomorrow. When we get pizza, it's from a good pizza place.

I rarely buy lunch. Usually the fruit and nuts are enough, far healthier than most of the places I would go, and I don't have to bring a sack lunch.

ratbert90 posted:

Working with a bunch of different nationalities is cool and good. My favorite coworker and good friend is a Adopted Chinese guy who grew up in Montreal

Nice think about my office is that it's a company founded in the US by Taiwanese, with offices all over, and headquartered in Japan. A significant portion of my office (in Texas) are Taiwanese and Filipino.
It's pretty neat.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Bob Morales posted:

Out 72 year old receptionist used the term “friend of the family toes” when talking about Brazil nuts today

Jesus, really? Wow.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bob Morales posted:

That's why my grandmother calls them too.

Ughhhhhhhhh

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
And I thought my grandma was bad for asking me when I'm gonna stop dating that "colored girl" when I was in high school.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sepist posted:

And I thought my grandma was bad for asking me when I'm gonna stop dating that "colored girl" when I was in high school.

I'd say that's actually worse since it's directed at a person rather than a rather unfortunate historical name for rather unfortunate snack food?

:shrug:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Sepist posted:

My Grandma once casually noted that she was waiting for her friend of the family to open the door as a black family was exiting the restaurant. What was I gonna do? I loved her no matter what she said.

edit: I was like 16 at the time

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Schadenboner posted:

I'd say that's actually worse since it's directed at a person rather than a rather unfortunate historical name for rather unfortunate snack food?

:shrug:

Well she was a terrible person so I guess if the shoe fits

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

adorai posted:

My Grandma once casually noted that she was waiting for her friend of the family to open the door as a black family was exiting the restaurant. What was I gonna do? I loved her no matter what she said.

edit: I was like 16 at the time

My wife’s grandmother commented, “there sure are a lot of blacks here” when they took us out to Olive Garden once.

I mentioned that they are allowed to go out to restaurants these days. I have no idea why they like my brown self so much.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Vulture Culture posted:

When I worked at Time Inc., there were signs in the bathrooms directing people to put used toilet paper in the toilet and not the garbage can, but only the ones near the QA team

One of the places I worked we had a lot of issues with someone putting paper towels in the urinal. I have no clue why anyone would do that. Never caught whoever it was.

We also had a guy get in trouble for using the maternity room. Kind of a rough break because it wasn't announced and they gave it a cutesy name on the sign. Most of us didn't realize what it was other than a nice quiet room that for some reason had a mini-fridge. (Until someone got in trouble that is)

PBS fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 29, 2018

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Vargatron posted:

That's why my grandmother calls them too.

Ughhhhhhhhh

Y’all in a gulf state?

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

YOLOsubmarine posted:

What grounds would they have for suing either you or the company? Also, a contracting company would never piss off a prospective client by suing them for hiring someone. That’s a good way to ensure that no company ever wants to work with you.

Most contracts will be serviced with an understanding that the company can convert the contractor to a permanent employee if they’d like that.

It's been a rumor I've heard for years I just assumed it was true. :shrug:

The way my current company has worked is if contractors are hired it won't be at least for six months or so. It begs the question anyway what would do I do if I were I permanent? The only higher position then me is the system admin and he would have to leave for get his spot.

No what I want is position where can work alone more often and finally work with the client less. If stick with my engineer plan, I'll get to the point where I still need to deal with clients but much fewer.

If I wasn't weak at math I would have been a programmer.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 29, 2018

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
You don't have to be good at math to be a programmer. I'm suddenly finding myself a programmer by accident, though my title is security engineer. Our company has an odd use-case for a networking utility, so three of us have set out on a month long project to develop internal tools to achieve efficiency and accuracy with the utility.

A whole month of dedicated powershell programming, with intermittent interoperability verification. The three of us have extensive scripting experience but nothing on this scale of design, execution, and deployment. It should be a ton of fun and absolutely not a headache at all.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Do you get work alone in a cubicle or office and not have to constantly worry about the next client calling or coming in with the next the problem? I don't dislike people but it drains me a lot putting up an act all day. I do wish I could just do work and not to have bother with the act. I'd still talk to my coworkers and not be a hermit or something like that but I'm an introvert and this is a world of extroverts.

Now I just go home exhausted from the daily social interaction. If it's business purely one time dealings like helpdesk I don't care it doesn't bother me. It's all fake and easy. It's harder when you deal face to face and have to establish relationships with clients.

Right now I need make sure this project manager is happy with us. That is what's draining that type of thing. I don't like working with VIPs.

My last job before this one. I went all over different site a day I didn't get to the know the people or care. I could say no and it was easy. This time the relationships matter immensely.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I’ve been debating about posting this because this feels like a :smug: post but fuckit-

A few years ago I took a moonlighting gig to do VMware support for a small voip consultant. That gig expanded to provide DBA support for a small app for the same firm. The missus and I laughed at the time that this could be boat money.

But that gig, plus a stack of stock vesting quite satisfactorily at my day job meant that we ended up buying a second house instead of a boat. So now the plan is to have rental income from our first house while we set up our forever home in the second.

The dream. Sometimes it’s real folks.

Also: when moonlighting, ask for a fuckton more than you think you are worth.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I would imagine the Amazon RSUs paid for most of that house. I am always jealous of my old coworker who went to amazon when they gave him 300 ~$800 shares, now look at it. Jerk.

And yes, always ask for more. Moonlighting is a pain in the rear end when you have a full-time role as well. Might as well make it worth it.

Most peoples hardest step though is to even get additional work. I know plenty of people who want some side money but can't get it. I wouldn't mind off loading some of mine but I know no qualified people that I trust not to abuse the hours.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I make it a point in my day to day life to avoid two things:

Racists
Assorted Nuts

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Yes there is actually a decent amount of stuff in there. The times I've used it have been good.

I currently use it as part of my pool of resources for training my L1 techs.

Which courses d'you use?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sickening posted:

150k+ is about the floor for any company wanting middling to upper talent. Only the dregs are trying to hire people people for much below that.

Why do Kubernetes engineers make so much goddamned money anyways? It took me almost 8 years in my industry to get an offer that breaks 6 figures and I have to move to LA. Oh yeah, :yotj:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
CJS: I leave in 5 hours and still am unable to do the thing I was sent here to do

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

KillHour posted:

Why do Kubernetes engineers make so much goddamned money anyways? It took me almost 8 years in my industry to get an offer that breaks 6 figures and I have to move to LA. Oh yeah, :yotj:
a) because it's like hipster OpenStack and it's absolutely impossible to operate without deeply specialized skills
b) because 90% of the job is teaching junior engineers who don't know what a server is how to containerize their applications

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

It’s also new and the only people who know it well enough to get you running are the people who command high salaries anyway.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

skipdogg posted:

Y’all in a gulf state?

South Carolina for me.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Vargatron posted:

South Carolina for me.

Heard that some growing up in Tennessee :sigh:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sexism at work is horrible. An old coworker got picked on by an insanely creepy manager and got herself a “improvement plan” where she got a shitload of 1 on 1 time with that creep to discuss the goals set out for her. He literally told her “she wasn’t sweet enough” to the him and rest of the team. Goals were shifting on a weekly basis of course. First week she was to quiet, next she had a big mouth. Week after that she had to work on her technical skillls while a week later she’d need to communicate more. This woman performed better than the worst half of the team combined, worked for the companny for over 20 years and had an impeccable work ethic.

I think she got boat money as a severence package, but that rear end in a top hat still works there. He’s done this too several other women too and got at least 3 of them fired for not playing along.

I addressed this predatory behaviour to a confidential counselor and he said he heard more complaints about that guy but nobody dared making a case of it. I left the company soon after that. Toxic as gently caress.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

LochNessMonster posted:

Sexism at work is horrible. An old coworker got picked on by an insanely creepy manager and got herself a “improvement plan” where she got a shitload of 1 on 1 time with that creep to discuss the goals set out for her. He literally told her “she wasn’t sweet enough” to the him and rest of the team. Goals were shifting on a weekly basis of course. First week she was to quiet, next she had a big mouth. Week after that she had to work on her technical skillls while a week later she’d need to communicate more. This woman performed better than the worst half of the team combined, worked for the companny for over 20 years and had an impeccable work ethic.

I think she got boat money as a severence package, but that rear end in a top hat still works there. He’s done this too several other women too and got at least 3 of them fired for not playing along.

I addressed this predatory behaviour to a confidential counselor and he said he heard more complaints about that guy but nobody dared making a case of it. I left the company soon after that. Toxic as gently caress.

People loving suck.

Big Comcast outage of some variety including their phone support systems, at least in the DC area. Not a full outage, but some sites are down. Like, I can't get to twitter and some other sites, and a tracert somehow goes through the European internet registry before timing out.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
One my sysadmin hires was blocked by the CEO today. He was labeled not a "cultural fit". After some digging with HR, I was told unofficially that he was deemed too old and the CEO wants to push a certain look for our work place.

I want to be outraged. I want to say "gently caress you, I am out". I type this out while I am eating my lunch that I don't ever have to pay for while booking my Akamai training in Tokyo. gently caress.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What age range are we talking here? So I know how many years I have left of moving between jobs.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sickening posted:

One my sysadmin hires was blocked by the CEO today. He was labeled not a "cultural fit". After some digging with HR, I was told unofficially that he was deemed too old and the CEO wants to push a certain look for our work place.

I want to be outraged. I want to say "gently caress you, I am out". I type this out while I am eating my lunch that I don't ever have to pay for while booking my Akamai training in Tokyo. gently caress.

Lol if HR is saying that you work for the dregs of society

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks Ants posted:

What age range are we talking here? So I know how many years I have left of moving between jobs.

I understand it starts to get pretty hard in your 50s, and almost impossible once you get into your 60s. One of the reasons I always understood why Dick Trauma was so stuck in his well.

E: Also, you can hire me as a sysadmin, Sickening. I need a good job.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

He was 36. He also looked much older than he was due to certain factors. He was great though and I am sure somewhere will pick him up.

Our sales and marketing departments have grown almost a third in the past quarter. There is definitely a noticeable shift in hiring practices for those positions. I imagine its a hell of lot easier to put those unethical requirements and still get qualified candidates due the type of people in that workforce. Technology? Not so much.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Its ok in 20 years when were all in our 50s (except dick trauma) our brains will be hooked directly into a cloud call center. Checkmate ageism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

lol if you think the world is going to exist in 20 years