Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Teenage Fansub posted:

Which boy? This boy? Me boy? Is repeated in the next issue very poignantly.

The villain does not have a good design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Not gonna lie, at first I thought that was Doomsday.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Verant posted:

Not gonna lie, at first I thought that was Doomsday.

Nah Doomsday looks way better then Zaar.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 29, 2018

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Nice Etrigan cosplay

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its space two face

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He sort of looks like Doomsday and Ord from Astonishing X-Men did the fusion dance.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its space two face

two-space

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Onmi posted:

Because Bendis believes Superman doesn't have a foe that can hit him emotionally or overpower him.

https://www.cbr.com/brian-bendis-superman-clark-kent-new-villains-interview/2/

"I had the same issue with Ironman."

And what did you do about in Bendis? I can't recall all the brilliant, original Ironman enemies you added to his cast.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

"I had the same issue with Ironman."

And what did you do about in Bendis? I can't recall all the brilliant, original Ironman enemies you added to his cast.

He had that one woman who could control machinery. I want to say her name was... Tomoe? I can't remember exactly though. I don't think she ever had a "supervillain name"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

TwoPair posted:

He had that one woman who could control machinery. I want to say her name was... Tomoe? I can't remember exactly though. I don't think she ever had a "supervillain name"

Was she really an Iron Man villain though? Because I remember Miles Morales fighting her and Romancing her?

If anything, I remember reading Ironheart and thinking that she needed a new villain since she didn't have any and I was shocked that Bendis was not introducing anyone to be her own rogue's gallery

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's really the classic trap of a writer who doesn't actually want to be writing a particular character/property, basically declare that you're going to fix a perceived problem that anyone actually familiar with the subject knows doesn't exist. "Superman's too powerful, he's not human enough, he doesn't have any good villains except Lex". (The villain thing is especially jarring when two of the big post-Rebirth stories have had Mxy and Manchester Black as the baddies, hardly characters that are overused as threats)

It's like writing a Sherlock Holmes story and going: "Holmes doesn't have any flaws or weaknesses, so I'm going to change that!. You can see how someone only familiar with the bare minimum of the character you'd get via cultural osmosis might feel that way, but it has no basis in the text.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Still loving The Wild Storm. IO and Skywatch screaming at each other (well, Bendix doing the screaming anyway), Lynch checking in on Caitlin's mom, and Jen and Doc Swift sorting out Jack's frazzled noggin (who looks like the Drummer's twin right now). It's weird, it's a slow burn yet there's almost always a standard cool Ellis action sequence each time so each issue kind of reminds me of those film score pieces where the music is arranged in a way that it's forever ramping up and escalating while essentially staying in the same key or whatever.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Superbro is coming back for the Sideways Annual in a story penned by Morrison himself.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Superbro is coming back for the Sideways Annual in a story penned by Morrison himself.

Hell yeah.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

He's not using the cape as knuckle dusters so points off

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Sentinel Red posted:

Still loving The Wild Storm. IO and Skywatch screaming at each other (well, Bendix doing the screaming anyway), Lynch checking in on Caitlin's mom, and Jen and Doc Swift sorting out Jack's frazzled noggin (who looks like the Drummer's twin right now). It's weird, it's a slow burn yet there's almost always a standard cool Ellis action sequence each time so each issue kind of reminds me of those film score pieces where the music is arranged in a way that it's forever ramping up and escalating while essentially staying in the same key or whatever.

Agreed. They said it would be a big buildup till everything goes to poo poo, and we can see all the pieces and how they're going to blow up.

I think they might be attempting to make a pitch to tv or movie.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hey. The promise of GMo did pay off. Thank Didio!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 29, 2018

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Maybe no one wanted Darkseid or Despero or Mongul or Doomsday or Imperiex or Lobo or Helspont or Alpha Centurion or H'el or [insert other big strong character that was created despite other big strong characters existing because all creators are piece of poo poo Mary Sue loving assholes] to become The Great Anti-Semite Of Outer Space because that's pretty clearly what Bendis is shooting for here.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Jim Starlin got a fat check off of KGBeast's inclusion in Batman v Superman; any creator would want to cast new character lines hoping for royalties to flood in someday from a parent company.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Space Fish posted:

any creator would want to cast new character lines hoping for royalties to flood in someday from a parent company.
Pshaw. Like anyone's going to give any time to something like Liefeld's Deathstroke ripoff!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Sentinel Red posted:

I wonder whether Caitlin's mum was telling the truth about the last guy. Given what we've seen from Slayton, and the way Caitlin's mother was shown killing the last dude...

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yesssss.

What a welcome relief after Bendis's garbage.

Can we just keep getting more Morrison's T-Shirt Superman in other comics to tide us over during the 5+ year Bendis Superman run?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kyle Baker posted on twitter that the Static book he's working on (which has been delayed twice) is currently on track for a winter release. This backs the rumor that DC has worked out a deal with McDuffie's widow over the Milestone Media characters and that a new, 4 title Milestone line has been in development.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Didn't they announce a Milestone relaunch like a year ago that went nowhere?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yes, mostly because the MM guys tried to push McDuffies widow out of it or something. I don't remember the details, maybe E&C would know.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
It wasn't so much an issue with DC at all, at least not directly. Effectively the deal is this:

Milestone Media Inc. was founded in 1993 by Dwayne McDuffie, Denys Cowan, Derek Dingle, Michael Davis, and Jim Owsley (aka Christopher Priest). All of the Milestone comics and characters and trademarks were owned by this company.

(For various irrelevant reasons, Priest dropped out before the original line launched and signed away his shares back to the group shortly before the comics line launched.)

Michael Davis signed away his shares to go work for Motown in 1994 or 1995, when Motown was planning to expand out into comics/video games/movies/etc.

Milestone's contract to publish their comics through DC lapsed in 1997 or so, at which point the ownership of Milestone Media Inc. was co-owned by McDuffie, Cowan, and Dingle.

At some point between the late 1990s and 2008 when DC re-acquired the rights to do Milestone comics, Cowan sold his shares back to McDuffie and/or Cowan.

When McDuffie died, he left everything (including his shares) to his widow and his mother. At the time, the contract with DC had lapsed again, largely because McDuffie was unhappy with how DC was treating him/the Milestone characters.

Then Milestone Media Company LLC ("Milestone 2.0") appeared, co-owned by Dingle, Cowan, and Reggie Hudlin. As best as anyone can tell, Dingle (as co-owner of MMI) signed off all of the rights to the Milestone characters over to the new MMC(LLC), meaning that McDuffie's estate was no longer co-owner of said characters or stories. This all came out when his widow started asking about the deal and was informed it had nothing to do with the now hollow company she co-owned. This is what has held all of the further announcements up, because she sued the hell out of MMC(LLC) and maybe they've settled but the facts as laid out in her claim (and that line up with everything else said and unsaid about Milestone from McDuffie's death onwards) make it seem like she had plenty of grounds.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
This may seem like a weird request, but what do you guys think of the Wikipedia article on Superman? I've been doing a lot of work on it and I want to show it off, get feedback. Is it accurate and well-written?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
In which the New York Times spoils Batman #50 (link shortened because the title of the article is a spoiler).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Edit: NM

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Batman spoilers from above: You know I shouldn’t be, but after all the fuss about this I really am kind of shocked they didn’t go through with it. I mean when the story came up I thought they wouldn’t do it, but after all the specials and one shots and variant covers and all I thought the might actually have the balls to go through with it. Silly me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There are further rumours / comments that something else happens at the end that the NYTimes doesn't mention, but I don't know what it actually is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh I know what happens Bruce and Selina don't get married so Dick and Babs do instead right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Oh I know what happens Bruce and Selina don't get married so Dick and Babs do instead right?

Mr & Mrs Bats #1, coming this September! :v: But more seriously, the cop-out reeks of the same kind of poo poo they pulled with Batwoman a few years ago, where the creative team had an endgame in mind and were told no at the last minute. Ironically, marriage is a bigger deal in the Big Two than death, because the latter you can just reverse, but marriages you have to deal with the end of.

I wonder if this is actually gonna hurt sell-through of the issue? Not that it matters because the direct market means the books are already on their way to stores, but I could see a lot of #50s sitting on shelves because of this leak. (Not because the ending was leaked, period, but because of the actual details being disappointing)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 1, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

I wonder if this is actually gonna hurt sell-through of the issue? Not that it matters because the direct market means the books are already on their way to stores, but I could see a lot of #50s sitting on shelves because of this leak. (Not because the ending was leaked, period, but because of the actual details being disappointing)

I'm seeing a little chatter with retailers worried about that. Petty happy to not have to deal with that BS anymore.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 1, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I’m going to need you all to use spoiler tags regarding even the smallest details or opinions about this. I know a major paper spoiled it already but there are people that will read this thread that don’t want to know.

Be considerate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whoops! Sorry!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That leak. God. it's a copout and really undermines all the stuff they built around it... but what really gets me is the way they just tell us this instead of dealing with it over the course of a year or two. Like Selena stealing the dress -- maybe that escalates because she's acting out, maybe Bruce finds out and they have an argument about it, maybe the letters aren't read until later and that causes the break.
I'm just kind of bummed it was stopped like this, without a chance to delve into it and get some fun Mr/Mrs Bats stories.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Man gently caress this poo poo.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 1, 2018

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There are further rumours / comments that something else happens at the end that the NYTimes doesn't mention, but I don't know what it actually is.

According to Kieran Shiach's twitter, the wedding is the least interesting part of that issue and the last page sets up the next fifty issues of Batman in a big way.

I'm pretty rustled at the wedding not actually happening, but I'm curious as to what exactly that second bit is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe they decided to elope!