Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

I don't know where this rear end thing comes from, it's definitely the small of the back.

I gave up on Revision when I came across an NSF soldier sitting on a bench that would not go down to a single prod to the part of his head that was visible from behind. This was on Liberty Island, so about ten minutes after I started playing. If you're not gonna do something about the hitboxes, don't randomly insert terrorists chilling casually on benches, please.

That’s when you use the GEP gun, the most silent takedown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
revision would have been really good if the modder were a smarter person and realized that everyone wanted DX in a modern renderer and nobody, anywhere, on earth, ever, wanted His Vision of level, item, and gameplay changes

but he isn't. so it isn't.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Willie Tomg posted:

revision would have been really good if the modder were a smarter person and realized that everyone wanted DX in a modern renderer and nobody, anywhere, on earth, ever, wanted His Vision of level, item, and gameplay changes

I don’t get why people never seem to understand the whole “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” thing applies to them.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Willie Tomg posted:

So he's like every other modder that's ever modded a mod?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

counterfeitsaint posted:

So he's like every other modder that's ever modded a mod?

The thing is Revision changes the level design for every level as far as I can tell. It never stops to ask "does this need to be changed?" So it's good if you want something almost totally different, but not good if you want to refine what's already there

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Personally I thought the oblivion gates in the middle of every city were the weirdest part.

Momomo posted:

I've played Deus Ex many times and for the life of me, I have never gotten this to work. I always have to hit them twice with even the prod.

I feel like I had good luck aiming at the back of the kneecap, but maybe my aim was off and I was hitting the rear end.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People have been modding Deus Ex successfully for a long time, though. I felt like GMDX was really a breath of fresh air when I played it last year. It made more playstyles viable.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I remember installing The Nameless Mod when people were talking about it, playing it for 10 minutes until I found an item called the ‘lollerskates’ and immediately quitting and uninstalling it. No amount of people saying how good it is in spite of the stupid cliquey injoke forum bullshit would ever make me play that thing.

I feel like I’ve installed and played the other mods at some point, gmdx and revision, but I can’t remember poo poo about them. The main game is just indelibly seared into my brain at this point. Having said that I don’t think I’ve played without biomod since that’s been available as that’s the rare example of a very well done and thought out complementary mod.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Namess Mod is the only Deus Ex mod I can remember that actually managed to capture the brilliance of the original game's level design. That's probably something you can only pull off if you have a sufficiently large team.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If you don't like stupid cliquey injoke forum bullshit, why would you even download it in the first place?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Exactly because of posts like the one right above yours

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

TNM is seriously the best DE mod ever. No contest. I'm really sorry for anyone who can't force their way through the first area and appreciate just how well designed it is.

gently caress it, it's the best DE game since the original.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I remember the Zodiac mod to be very good, but it seems it doesn't work on the Steam version anymore?

https://www.moddb.com/mods/zodiac

It has a real-life architecture based level where you infiltrate the CIA as Paul and that was pretty nice

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cat Mattress posted:

If you don't like stupid cliquey injoke forum bullshit, why would you even download it in the first place?

I think the more pressing question is whether he knows where he is right now.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Butterfly Valley posted:

I remember installing The Nameless Mod when people were talking about it, playing it for 10 minutes until I found an item called the ‘lollerskates’ and immediately quitting and uninstalling it. No amount of people saying how good it is in spite of the stupid cliquey injoke forum bullshit would ever make me play that thing.

I feel like I’ve installed and played the other mods at some point, gmdx and revision, but I can’t remember poo poo about them. The main game is just indelibly seared into my brain at this point. Having said that I don’t think I’ve played without biomod since that’s been available as that’s the rare example of a very well done and thought out complementary mod.

I'll be that guy. I chose not to skip it and highly enjoyed myself after putting up with quite possibly the worst first hour of any game I've ever enjoyed. Somehow these random modders understand Deus Ex level design better than anyone else on Earth, including the original devs

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 29, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah, doesn’t it shift away from the injoke humor after the first level? Never gotten around to playing it but it’s on my list.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I'm also a guy who downloaded it for the promised level design and just couldn't stand it for long enough to see where it got good. That first hour or whatever is really really really awful...

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

tripwood posted:

I remember the Zodiac mod to be very good, but it seems it doesn't work on the Steam version anymore?

https://www.moddb.com/mods/zodiac

It has a real-life architecture based level where you infiltrate the CIA as Paul and that was pretty nice

Thank you for posting this. I've never tried it, but perhaps it will work with the GOG version.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

jojoinnit posted:

I'm also a guy who downloaded it for the promised level design and just couldn't stand it for long enough to see where it got good. That first hour or whatever is really really really awful...

I agree fully. They really shot themselves in the foot with that. Probably my favorite part of Nameless Mod is how every enemy can be dispatched nonlethally, including bosses. The game actually reacts to this. The levels branch in brilliant ways, and I think there's even branching story paths based on which faction you select. Mechanically it's actually better than OG Deus Ex, which I know is hard to believe but you'll just have to trust me

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I feel really dumb because I played the Nameless Mod and gave up on it because I couldn't figure out what the game wanted me to do. Something about attaching a device to some computer in the facility, I think? I looked all around the building and never found it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
One thing I am really grateful for from this thread is pointing out that TNM is crap for the first level and then becomes incredible... according to everyone with the patience to get past that first shite level. I have seen dozens and dozens of mentions of that mod in this thread over the years, and among the people who made it past that horrible first level I have never heard anything short of huge praise for the rest of the game. Frankly, I'm kind of surprised that the mod writers didn't go back and make a version of the mod where the first level isn't played; sort of like that mod for Baldur's Gate II that removes the first dungeon, except more cyberpunky.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The entire mod is a jokey love letter to a Deus Ex fan forum that happens to also have great level design. They're not going to go back and remove the jokey references to their Deus Ex fan forum.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I'm not even sure if the mod actually gets better after the first level, or if you just get used to the goofy in-jokes eventually.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It really says something about the mod that the first level is so offputting even Deux Ex players can't handle it.

I've had the same experience as the others who heard it was great, booted it up, and never made it past the first area.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hank Morgan posted:

Prod with the prod.

Just in case, we're police

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

aniviron posted:

It really says something about the mod that the first level is so offputting even Deux Ex players can't handle it.

I've had the same experience as the others who heard it was great, booted it up, and never made it past the first area.
What a shame.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 2, 2018

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Butterfly Valley posted:

GMDX sticks very close to the original game. It rebalances the skills, but I remember thinking the changes were all pretty good.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Neurosis posted:

GMDX sticks very close to the original game. It rebalances the skills, but I remember thinking the changes were all pretty good.
There are two kinds of people playing Deus Ex.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Xander77 posted:

There are two kinds of people playing Deus Ex.

... On the other hand the changes were all pretty mild to the point that my positive feeling might have just been my enjoyment of the base game having a halo effect (since it was years between my second-to-last and GMDX playthroughs).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

JustJeff88 posted:

One thing I am really grateful for from this thread is pointing out that TNM is crap for the first level and then becomes incredible... according to everyone with the patience to get past that first shite level. I have seen dozens and dozens of mentions of that mod in this thread over the years, and among the people who made it past that horrible first level I have never heard anything short of huge praise for the rest of the game. Frankly, I'm kind of surprised that the mod writers didn't go back and make a version of the mod where the first level isn't played; sort of like that mod for Baldur's Gate II that removes the first dungeon, except more cyberpunky.

Lemon-Lime posted:

The entire mod is a jokey love letter to a Deus Ex fan forum that happens to also have great level design. They're not going to go back and remove the jokey references to their Deus Ex fan forum.

You know what's interesting, is that I seem to recall an interview with one of the key TNM developers where he expressed a lot of regret at how they designed the mod's opening segment--and might have even suggested that he wouldn't have done it in retrospect. I can't remember where I read that interview though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You know what's interesting, is that I seem to recall an interview with one of the key TNM developers where he expressed a lot of regret at how they designed the mod's opening segment--and might have even suggested that he wouldn't have done it in retrospect. I can't remember where I read that interview though.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/11/26/interview-off-topic-on-the-nameless-mod/

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Neurosis posted:

... On the other hand the changes were all pretty mild to the point that my positive feeling might have just been my enjoyment of the base game having a halo effect (since it was years between my second-to-last and GMDX playthroughs).

The Halo Effect is definitely a possibility, but pure vanilla Deus Ex is awfully good and making just subtle improvements to it is still going to end with a Very Good Game Indeed. (patent pending)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Shifter is still the way to go, IMO. The DX10 renderer and forcing high levels of AA and poo poo still makes for a good run.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Biomod is still better than Shifter. :colbert:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I played through GMDX a few weeks ago. It improves the gunplay a ton, and the AI a bit. Somebody still needs to do something about the stupid looking running in place poo poo you get during firefights, but I have hope.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So what exactly happens in the first level of TNM that’s so unpleasant?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I still super enjoyed my run of Revision. It gets poo poo for having confusing and annoying level layouts but I loved the graphics updates that put it more inline with actually being a sequel to Human Revolution.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

brap posted:

Iirc it's a huge sprawling area and all of it is irritating and that's before you try speaking to characters. It was years ago though. I think for me it was more like I had to admit I was just not having any fun at all and only slogging along because the internet told me it got good.

Like it's just a bunch of irritating stuff you don't get because you weren't on that forum and you're just waiting for the level design or whatever to just grab you I guess and it just didn't for me, not before the general setting made me want to stop.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 30, 2018

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

brap posted:

In dumps you in a huge open nighttime urban environment that is just a vast sprawl of grey flat land dotted by grey square buildings and no real objective beyond raising a certain amount of money. Every building is full of NPCs voiced by forum posters (with the huge disparity of voice and recording quality that entails) all rattling off forum in-jokes and Deus Ex trivia and there's so much space between them that it takes literal minutes to run from one side of the map to the other. And since you just started all your skills are low so most of the content you do find is locked off to you and when you do enter combat with, say, spork-hurling cult members that shout lolrandom catchphrases about goats and llamas you're probably going to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

IMHO Deus Ex's "great level design" depended hugely on its story and atmosphere, it really felt like you were exploring secret illuminati bases and the streets of dystopian future NYC. That was huge in 2000 and even today very few games have matched it.

Replacing that incredible sense of place with levels based on insufferable forums in-jokes makes me incredibly wary.