Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

100YrsofAttitude posted:

This may seem douchey but it's pretty reasonable. I can't remember what the effect it's called, but it's really bad for a brand to become the generally associated word with a product, think Kleenex when all you want is a tissue or how people want to play Frisbee but in fact it's one of the many other flying disc products. There's loads of examples and I can see why Nintendo would've wanted to avoid becoming associated with any and all video game products.

Generecized trademark. Nintendo did well to fight against it.

Other examples are band-aid, velcro, chap-stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Not a Children posted:

They had a whole licensing scheme during the height of the NESs' popularity wherein they would only allow publishers to put out 5 games a year so as not to cut into first party sales and to negotiate release dates. They also did some scheisty poo poo to maintain high MSRPs and took advantage of a microchip shortage through some market manipulation shenanigans
Nintendo's approach in the late 80s was certainly heavy handed, but it was also in response to Atari's crash and burn only a few years earlier. By late 1983, video games were done in the US. They were a passing fad. Retailers got burned badly on them and they weren't going to touch them. Nintendo had to rebuild that market in the US by selling the NES as a toy, and part of the success of that was gatekeeping the market so that good games wouldn't be undercut by $5 not playable cheap poo poo, as happened to Atari and Activision in 1982.

Basically Nintendo protected us from lovely European microcomputer platformers. For that, we owe them a lot.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Detective No. 27 posted:

Bandaid, Dumpster, and Coke.

Bandaid I knew. Dumpster I did not.

But what insane person calls non-coke soda products coke? How would you know what you're getting?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm going on vacation/road trip today and I really like strategy games. Aside from Mario and Rabbids, is there anything on the eShop that'll scratch the strategy/tactics itch?

Steamworld Heist is a cool turn based strategy, and Worms is on there

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Aquasnake posted:

Bandaid I knew. Dumpster I did not.

But what insane person calls non-coke soda products coke? How would you know what you're getting?

the american south i believe

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheScott2K posted:

Yea a lot of PC games do not like being streamed and it's really hard to tell which ones will without trying.

I figured out the issue, I had unplugged one of my monitors earlier today but forgot to unplug the HDMI cable from my graphics card. I still had a monitor plugged in via DVI but that apparently caused Direct 3D to get confused for some reason.

...Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition for Switch when?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

Yeah basically.

There's a reason why nobody cared about PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs

Aquasnake posted:

It's largely a southern thing, and surprisingly theres little confusion around it. It's all about context. You might say "I have a bunch of cokes in the cooler" and mean a variety of sodas, but if you order a coke a restaurant they will bring you the coke brand product.

To bring this back to nintendo, did you know that the original version of Punch Out's Soda Popinski was called Vodka Drunkenski?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm going on vacation/road trip today and I really like strategy games. Aside from Mario and Rabbids, is there anything on the eShop that'll scratch the strategy/tactics itch?
Disgaea 5, World Conqueror X, Mercenaries Saga Chronicles, Steamworld Heist,

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

RME posted:

the american south i believe

We say soda. North says pop. I think it's an east coast thing.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
http://popvssoda.com/

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Clorox
Benadryl

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

I'm sorry but in this thread we only accept charts from the Wii Everybody Votes channel

content
Feb 13, 2014

Argue posted:

I'm sorry but in this thread we only accept charts from the Wii Everybody Votes channel

Oh god, please bring back everybody votes, nintendo.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Oh yeah that was so cool

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

content posted:

Oh god, please bring back everybody votes, nintendo.

They did. It’s called splatfest.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Nintendo's approach in the late 80s was certainly heavy handed, but it was also in response to Atari's crash and burn only a few years earlier. By late 1983, video games were done in the US. They were a passing fad. Retailers got burned badly on them and they weren't going to touch them. Nintendo had to rebuild that market in the US by selling the NES as a toy, and part of the success of that was gatekeeping the market so that good games wouldn't be undercut by $5 not playable cheap poo poo, as happened to Atari and Activision in 1982.

Basically Nintendo protected us from lovely European microcomputer platformers. For that, we owe them a lot.

Nintendo at that point was ensuring us that the kind of game that would be greenlit through Steam Greenlight was not a problem. For that they have my respect.

BETRAYAL!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Back with a couple Xenoblade questions.

I got Electra's thunder mastery to 4 and there's a think on Argentum she's supposed to be about to try at night but no matter what time I set it to it's unavailable.

Also I started Wulfric's quest and saved the people and fought the giant ape til it ran and the next step is I'm supposed to report back to the guy I started the quest with, but no matter what time of day there is no map marker and he doesn't seem to be anywhere.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

:perfect:

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
Crash Trilogy is fun so far thru like 5 levels. The graphics and visuals look excellent, frame rate seems a little slow in docked but it's plenty playable.

Yes, you walk down a narrow channel it's not that "3D" but again the scenery is really nice and still somewhat challenging if you go for all boxes or try to go for speed.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
everybody votes loving rules. i'm extremely disappointed that they downplayed miis as a whole with the switch

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
imo the main problem with Wolf2 was the lack of level variety, New Orleans was the worst offender, you start off excited to see what they do and guess what, it starts with another generic Nazi base and another generic ruined city area

the game should have had combat areas that looked like the Roswell level. nothing in the game was as cool as the level variety in the first game

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Does Crash 1 in the remake let you actually save outside of bonus rooms? Crash 1 is a bad game compared to 2 and 3 but I might actually suffer through it again if I don’t have to worry about that BS.

Edit: I remembered google exists and it looks like it does - excellent. Now I can replay Crash 1 out of... masochism, I guess.

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 29, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

imo the main problem with Wolf2 was the lack of level variety, New Orleans was the worst offender, you start off excited to see what they do and guess what, it starts with another generic Nazi base and another generic ruined city area

the game should have had combat areas that looked like the Roswell level. nothing in the game was as cool as the level variety in the first game

Bombed out New York was especially lame. Also didn't care for the world's largest submarine

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Golashes posted:

everybody votes loving rules. i'm extremely disappointed that they downplayed miis as a whole with the switch

the loss of miiverse continues to haunt us

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Golashes posted:

Miitopia game on the Switch. It would rule!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Nintendo where the gently caress is tomodachi life

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Frankston posted:

Any UK folk know where I can get physical Octopath Traveler for a decent price? Cheapest I've been able to find is £40.

Why do people still buy physical?

Do you loan all your games to a friend after you beat them or something?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

loving lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Quit being obtuse.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zaphod42 posted:

It's cheaper

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Deltron 3030 posted:

Crash Trilogy is fun so far thru like 5 levels. The graphics and visuals look excellent, frame rate seems a little slow in docked but it's plenty playable.

Yes, you walk down a narrow channel it's not that "3D" but again the scenery is really nice and still somewhat challenging if you go for all boxes or try to go for speed.

Crash is a great 2.5d platformer with 3d graphics.

Its fundamentally not a 3d platformer like mario 64. But if you can just get over that :rolleyes: its good stuff.

They still make 2d mario games after all. You'd be dumb to say mario 3 is trash because mario 64 exists. Just different genres. But people often confuse themes for genres.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Theoretically!

I also just found out that Yoku's Fancy Pinballvania got a physical release. I'll pick it up when I'm done coolding down from Hollow Knight, but I don't want anything similar to receive the disservice of trying to follow that gem up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Quit being obtuse.

I'm being serious... its a fair question.

Loaning or reselling games is the main factor I can imagine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

It's cheaper

With amazon prime yes. But if you're asking "where in the uk can I get...." then you're not using amazon prime.

Digital and physical cost the same most places.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Sometimes I wish the PSASBR thread was around so I could shitpost a little about Cloud's inclusion in Smash. :allears: Alas, the mobile game killed it.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

With amazon prime yes. But if you're asking "where in the uk can I get...." then you're not using amazon prime.

Digital and physical cost the same most places.

Resell

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm being serious... its a fair question.

Loaning or reselling games is the main factor I can imagine.

Because you sell them when you're done and get 70% of the money back, genius

Like who's gonna replay Mario Rabbids or Dragon Quest Builders

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Deltron 3030 posted:

After spending more time with it, the changers to like....edge detection? make it really bad to play.

The originals were for the most part tough but fair. You could trust your jumps, and if you were even remotely on a platform, you were on a platform. The remake in comparison has had so many deaths where i'm slipping through the side of a platform or hippo into death, or a full speed jump just hasn't been enough for seemingly no reason.

It's still a beatable game, but it's neither fun nor polished in it's current form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm on satellite internet that downloads at about 70 kb/s on a good day and at 30 kb/s on average, and somedays goes down to 20 kb/s, op.

i bought yakuza zero digital and it took the better part of a week to download.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 29, 2018

• Locked thread