Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tekopo posted:

Yeah yeah yeah, "unaltered", pull the other one

I installed it literally yesterday on a new temp phone that I picked up while waiting for my S9+ to arrive.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The main reason I like Cthulhu Wars is that it plays pretty quickly for game of its size. I can get a 4 player game of it all done in less than 90 minutes.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Southern Heel posted:

OK, i will check out BattleLore - thanks for the tip on Kemet being more combat heavy. Does it work as well as Inis is meant to, for 2p?

It’s worth noting that Abbadon, the sci-fi version of this system, is consistently $15-$20 on Amazon. Haven’t played it as I’ve already got like three different command and colors games, but if you’re price sensitive that’s an option.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Southern Heel posted:

With that in mind, I would like to ask for suggestions on a 2 player direct-conflict scifi/fantasy boardgame for my buddy and I - we both come from a Warhammer/40k/HeroQuest/etc. background as kids and it's always been enjoyable but we just don't have the bandwidth for collecting and painting hundreds of miniatures but want to scratch that itch. We played Twilight Struggle and we found it enjoyable but he said it was a little boring thematically (hence something exciting - emphatically not cutesy or mundane theme i.e. Power Grid or Food Chain magnate, for example) (and it was taking forever, so ideally lasting 30-90minutes).

If it weren't for your 30-90 minute needs I'd say Earth Reborn is what you want.

E:
If anything in that range is ok then yeah you could crack a game out more on the 90 end of the spectrum

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 29, 2018

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Southern Heel posted:

With that in mind, I would like to ask for suggestions on a 2 player direct-conflict scifi/fantasy boardgame for my buddy and I - we both come from a Warhammer/40k/HeroQuest/etc. background as kids and it's always been enjoyable but we just don't have the bandwidth for collecting and painting hundreds of miniatures but want to scratch that itch. We played Twilight Struggle and we found it enjoyable but he said it was a little boring thematically (hence something exciting - emphatically not cutesy or mundane theme i.e. Power Grid or Food Chain magnate, for example) (and it was taking forever, so ideally lasting 30-90minutes).

I'm aware that Mage Knight/Gloomhaven/Mice & Mystics would be good candidates, but we just don't have the consistency for any kind of campaign/narrative. It's got to be able to support one-shot games.

If you like skirmish style games with dice rolling and minis and lots of quick, fun combat but want something more streamlined and not too long, you might like Tannhauser. It's got a mix of World War One/Occult Nazi/Tesla technology themes. The core box has enough content to be fun, and if you like it enough there are lots of other character packs, some of them still available for cheap (Miniature Market still has some of them available at a good price). Expansions add the soviet and japanese factions. The minis come pre-painted and don't look half bad, and you play with squads of 5.

It's essentially a "dead" game because FFG has no plans for future printings or editions, but there are still plenty of core boxes floating around and you can usually find them on ebay for MSRP ($60) or sometimes lower. The boards are big and beautiful, and line-of-sight is implemented in a brilliant way (spaces have colored outlines, so if your dude's space matches the color of another dude's space, you have LOS to each other). It's incredibly simple and makes the game flow really smoothly. Games take anywhere from 1 to 2 hours usually.

Another one of the games strengths is that it has a lot of different game modes and modifiers, like capture the flag, domination, objective-based missions, pure deathmatch, etc. If you get one of the expansions you can even combine two boards together and turn it into a 2 v 2 game, or 1 v 1 v 1 v 1. It's got a lot of potential for coming up with your own scenarios or rules.

Just make sure to try the revised rules edition, FFG improved on the original design a lot.

Chubbs fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 29, 2018

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Trying to pick up some new to the group casual/party games. Grabbed Skull last weekend. Should I order Monikers so I can demo them at my buddies 4th of July cookout? Y/n

DirtyCheeseburgers
Apr 15, 2003

College Slice

Southern Heel posted:

If you can find a copy, Nexus Ops scales from 2-4 nicely, and even includes alternate board setups for different ways to play. It's essentially all combat, lots of fun. Been a big hit in my group. My buddy who is big into Warhammer is obsessed with it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

So I found a local boardgame cafe and spent an evening there with my wife - we tried out Sagrada, Azul and Jaipur and it was good fun. I've had a history of getting excited about and buying games but without really paying attention to what either my wife or my only occasional opponent wants to play, so they sit gathering dust until I sell them on. With that in mind, the boardgame cafe seems like an amazing opportunity to litmus test things before purchasing.

I'm aware that Mage Knight/Gloomhaven/Mice & Mystics would be good candidates, but we just don't have the consistency for any kind of campaign/narrative. It's got to be able to support one-shot games. MK seems like it could be an option especially with a solo play mechanic, and the only thing that springs to mind is 'War of the Ring' or 'Inis', but I'm worried the latter may be too far removed from the preceding concepts.

Claustrophobia (2nd Edition coming out some time this year I think)
Forbidden Stars would be good for this but it’s out of print :(. Maybe you can win this copy: https://m.ebay.com/itm/Forbidden-Stars-Board-Game-Warhammer-40K-NIB-NEW/283022269578?hash=item41e5711c8a:g:pNIAAOSwvDpbHdRp
Rebellion is another option. The combat itself is not the best but otherwise it’s mostly cool.

For something different but kind of adjacent, maybe check out Tash-Kalar or BattleCon (Trials). You can PnP the second and see what it’s like.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
Throwing my hat in for EARTH REBORN

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I'm going to throw in a recommendation for Gaslands. It's a quick miniatures game, based around Mad Max-style vehicular mayhem. It has various game modes, from Death Race to Arena. The wrinkle is that the miniatures in this case are Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars, which you can either modify however much you like, or play right out of the box. You can get the rulebook in pdf form for thirteen bucks right now, and if you somehow don't have any toy cars sitting around, they cost about a dollar each. The barrier for entry is as low as a minis game possibly can be, and the designer is putting out new content every month or two for free.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
There's going to be a second edition of Claustrophobia? Cool.

That would also be a good 1v1 albeit with more of an occult vibe as opposed to sci-fi.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
Speaking of MadMax style games. How did that Thunder Alley Adaption turn out?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

OGRE might fit. Sadly they still haven't released a green map (originally from G.E.V., present in Ogre Designer's Edition) for OGRE 6E but you can still get a bunch of variety on the original map, and there is an expansion as well as some $5-$10 PDF scenario books.

Or if you're lucky and your local shop still has a Designer's Edition taking up space, get it :).

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

El Fideo posted:

I'm going to throw in a recommendation for Gaslands. It's a quick miniatures game, based around Mad Max-style vehicular mayhem. It has various game modes, from Death Race to Arena. The wrinkle is that the miniatures in this case are Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars, which you can either modify however much you like, or play right out of the box. You can get the rulebook in pdf form for thirteen bucks right now, and if you somehow don't have any toy cars sitting around, they cost about a dollar each. The barrier for entry is as low as a minis game possibly can be, and the designer is putting out new content every month or two for free.

First heard about this from So Very Wrong About Games and it sounds awesome. I love game designs reusing other toys/games as pieces. This and Dread make me very happy.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Claustrophobia is really good and I'd love to see them fit a 2nd edition in a smaller footprint (or even just a smaller box footprint). We played the heck out of it for a while, then rearranged our house and sold our table big enough to play it on and we couldn't be bothered to play it on the floor.

I tried to sell our copy a while back and it was $30 to ship coast to coast, and I ended up having to cancel the order. It's absurd on eBay now, unfortunately.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Huxley posted:

Claustrophobia is really good and I'd love to see them fit a 2nd edition in a smaller footprint (or even just a smaller box footprint). We played the heck out of it for a while, then rearranged our house and sold our table big enough to play it on and we couldn't be bothered to play it on the floor.

I tried to sell our copy a while back and it was $30 to ship coast to coast, and I ended up having to cancel the order. It's absurd on eBay now, unfortunately.

Seriously? Must pick up the copy in my local store, then.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Stan Taylor posted:

First heard about this from So Very Wrong About Games and it sounds awesome. I love game designs reusing other toys/games as pieces. This and Dread make me very happy.

I am very much into that too, so what's this Dread thing you mentioned?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It got mentioned in passing on discord, but is there any interest in trying Sidereal Confluence on TTS? I'd like some hands on experience before I try teaching the game and the TTS module seems robust enough.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
How well does Gasland compare to Mobile Frame Zero, the world's premier LEGO based miniature skirmish game?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you all for the recommendations - I may not have been very clear though - the grand themselves don't need to be miniature based - I meant direct conflict in the sense of compared to engine building euro games!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

El Fideo posted:

Hell yeah, I bought a few old hot rods and trucks (and a tank) today. $20 and I have the pdf and a bunch of cars to muck up. Not gonna bother painting, but I will file them down and beat them up a bit and make them dirty. Any idea where to get weapon bits?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Southern Heel posted:

Thank you all for the recommendations - I may not have been very clear though - the grand themselves don't need to be miniature based - I meant direct conflict in the sense of compared to engine building euro games!

If you don't mind heavier games, you can have both direct combat and engine building with Kemet. And it doesn't cost well over $100, unlike most minis heavy games.

Also, Tom Lehmann is trying to go backwards with Race for the Galaxy with his new game Puerto Rico in Space New Frontiers

So now we have a role selection board game that inspired a role selection card game that inspired a role selection card game that inspired a role selection board game.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bottom Liner posted:

Hell yeah, I bought a few old hot rods and trucks (and a tank) today. $20 and I have the pdf and a bunch of cars to muck up. Not gonna bother painting, but I will file them down and beat them up a bit and make them dirty. Any idea where to get weapon bits?

The Secret Cabal guys liked it too. They had some links over on their BGG guild. IT sounded like cheap, awesome X-Wing. Maybe I'll try it.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Media Bloodbath posted:

Speaking of MadMax style games. How did that Thunder Alley Adaption turn out?

It's not out yet.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was on the fence about playing X-wing 2.0 vs selling off all my stuff and just moving on and Gaslands might make that decision for me.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

oh hey speaking of this, I got my copy of Consentacle today. Review arriving: possibly never, I don't want to play this with any of my friends.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

golden bubble posted:

If you don't mind heavier games, you can have both direct combat and engine building with Kemet. And it doesn't cost well over $100, unlike most minis heavy games.

Also, Tom Lehmann is trying to go backwards with Race for the Galaxy with his new game Puerto Rico in Space New Frontiers

So now we have a role selection board game that inspired a role selection card game that inspired a role selection card game that inspired a role selection board game.

He’s done pretty good with all of his games in that universe so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt if he wants to make a better Puerto Rico in Space.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
$4 and 15 minutes with a sanding block and I have a good starting squad for Gaslands :hellyeah:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You can get Gaslands rulebook physical on amazon for $11 by the way.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Countblanc posted:

It got mentioned in passing on discord, but is there any interest in trying Sidereal Confluence on TTS? I'd like some hands on experience before I try teaching the game and the TTS module seems robust enough.

I'd be down!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
One other person wanted in on the four pack for Tabletop Simulator, can you please send me an PM? Thanks!

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Countblanc posted:

:same: if we could get the time difference to work.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 29, 2018

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

out of curiosity, that question about head-to-head stuff got me thinking: what tactical games use systems other than x+ to hit or dice pools? ones i can think of:

malifaux: x+ to hit, but using cards instead of dice including cards from hand that can be subbed in
gloomhaven: mostly flat damage +/- card flips
panzer leader: good ol' CRT
xwing: technically just dice pools but with tons of fuckery with dice faces

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Does anyone know how Plan B games had enough capital to buy eggertspiele? is this another Asmodee thing with rich investors going shopping?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

discount cathouse posted:

Does anyone know how Plan B games had enough capital to buy eggertspiele? is this another Asmodee thing with rich investors going shopping?

Kinda. Plan B is owned by Sophie Gravel, who previously owned F2Z Entertainment (Z-Man, Filosofia, Plaid Hat and Pretzel) before selling it to Asmodee. Capital is probably not a problem for her.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Claustrophobia (2nd Edition coming out some time this year I think)
Forbidden Stars would be good for this but it’s out of print :(. Maybe you can win this copy: https://m.ebay.com/itm/Forbidden-Stars-Board-Game-Warhammer-40K-NIB-NEW/283022269578?hash=item41e5711c8a:g:pNIAAOSwvDpbHdRp
Rebellion is another option. The combat itself is not the best but otherwise it’s mostly cool.

For something different but kind of adjacent, maybe check out Tash-Kalar or BattleCon (Trials). You can PnP the second and see what it’s like.

FS and Rebellion are not 30-90 min games. And for the love of god don’t get Kemet for two player, either, it might theoretically work but it’s a 4-5 Player game to get the most out of it.

Stuff like Earth Reborn is great but also won’t work for you if your friend has a hard time with rules/campaign stuff, it will take you forever to learn it and games will run long for ages.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

vvv E: oh I missed the 30-90 minute part

StashAugustine posted:

out of curiosity, that question about head-to-head stuff got me thinking: what tactical games use systems other than x+ to hit or dice pools? ones i can think of:

malifaux: x+ to hit, but using cards instead of dice including cards from hand that can be subbed in
gloomhaven: mostly flat damage +/- card flips
panzer leader: good ol' CRT
xwing: technically just dice pools but with tons of fuckery with dice faces

That Guards of Atlantis MOBA board game uses cards. I have never played it and I think it might be the first time this game has mentioned in the thread.

Claustrophobia uses dice but in a kind of novel euro-y way.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Ojetor posted:

Kinda. Plan B is owned by Sophie Gravel, who previously owned F2Z Entertainment (Z-Man, Filosofia, Plaid Hat and Pretzel) before selling it to Asmodee. Capital is probably not a problem for her.

Thanks. That's kind of comforting to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Blamestorm posted:

FS and Rebellion are not 30-90 min games. And for the love of god don’t get Kemet for two player, either, it might theoretically work but it’s a 4-5 Player game to get the most out of it.

Stuff like Earth Reborn is great but also won’t work for you if your friend has a hard time with rules/campaign stuff, it will take you forever to learn it and games will run long for ages.

Actually, are you sure you can't get a 2 player game of Forbidden Stars done in 90 minutes or less (after you've played a learning game)? I have never timed it but I want to say we were in the ballpark