Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GUNS posted:

there were observers from everywhere in both armies

the idea that they looked down on us because they were europeans is just chauvinism imo, why would any intelligent person miss an opportunity to see the latest developments in war

yeah, see also, the Spanish Opportunity To Test Run All Our Neat poo poo Before 1941

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

But... If British food sucks because of WWI, why's French food still the bee's knees?

Here's the article on spices: https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/03/26/394339284/how-snobbery-helped-take-the-spice-out-of-european-cooking?t=1530256639695

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

But... If British food sucks because of WWI, why's French food still the bee's knees?

Here's the article on spices: https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/03/26/394339284/how-snobbery-helped-take-the-spice-out-of-european-cooking?t=1530256639695

The French literally invented modern culinary culture, a lot of what we associate with high end cooking dates back to the Napoleonic era cooking schools (e.g. the toque blanc, basically all the terminology etc.). Also the French rightly know that wine is superior to beer :colbert:

Also, someone asked a few days ago about weird submariners, unfortunately I've spent the past few days slowly dying due to catching some kind of super-cold so it kind of got lost. I think the best way to summarize is that Down Periscope is a loving documentary as far as my experience goes. Also Japanese sailors are alcoholics on a level beyond typical navies because when I was living in Pearl, the crew of a Japanese sub literally bought all the beer at the minimart right next to them. I had to celebrate my birthday sober, which is by far the worst experience I've had in years.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Weren't there a bajillion European observers on both sides of the ACW?

Wasn't Engels one? Yeah, that one.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wasn't Engels one? Yeah, that one.

wasn't he a war journalist

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Don Gato posted:

Also, someone asked a few days ago about weird submariners, unfortunately I've spent the past few days slowly dying due to catching some kind of super-cold so it kind of got lost. I think the best way to summarize is that Down Periscope is a loving documentary as far as my experience goes. Also Japanese sailors are alcoholics on a level beyond typical navies because when I was living in Pearl, the crew of a Japanese sub literally bought all the beer at the minimart right next to them. I had to celebrate my birthday sober, which is by far the worst experience I've had in years.

Fight them.

ChubbyChecker posted:

wasn't he a war journalist

Listen buddy, if I had a loving dollar everytime I was wrong... I'd have a bunch of dollars

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

For my money the reputation of bad British food comes from 2 things.

The first is that during the period that the majority of English speaking foreigners (The yanks) were exposed to English food it was 1941-45 when we were under rationing, they then took this impression home and it created the cultural perception that this is what British food is. Especially as compared to their own pretty plentifully supplied food.

The second is that the most influential British cookery book probably of all time was Mrs Beetons book of Household Management. This was wildly popular, like beyond all reason, when it was published selling millions of copies and being reprinted for a century after it was originally written. And to put it mildly, it was a bit poo poo in many places, because the author was not a cook at all and didnt really understand cooking and reprinted a lot of recipes and facts about food without checking if it happened to be true (she was however a good writer). For instance she started the nasty habit of boiling vegetables beyond the point of recognition until they turned into mush (she recommended boiling carrots for 2 hours and most other things for at least 3 to 4 times longer than we would now), because undercooked vegetables would ferment in the stomach. Its like if those godawful american cookbooks from the age of gelatin became influential tomes that endured for a century.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Polyakov posted:

For my money the reputation of bad British food comes from 2 things.

The first is that during the period that the majority of English speaking foreigners (The yanks) were exposed to English food it was 1941-45 when we were under rationing, they then took this impression home and it created the cultural perception that this is what British food is. Especially as compared to their own pretty plentifully supplied food.

The second is that the most influential British cookery book probably of all time was Mrs Beetons book of Household Management. This was wildly popular, like beyond all reason, when it was published selling millions of copies and being reprinted for a century after it was originally written. And to put it mildly, it was a bit poo poo in many places, because the author was not a cook at all and didnt really understand cooking and reprinted a lot of recipes and facts about food without checking if it happened to be true (she was however a good writer). For instance she started the nasty habit of boiling vegetables beyond the point of recognition until they turned into mush (she recommended boiling carrots for 2 hours and most other things for at least 3 to 4 times longer than we would now), because undercooked vegetables would ferment in the stomach. Its like if those godawful american cookbooks from the age of gelatin became influential tomes that endured for a century.
It's still not great, based on recent visits.

What really confuses me is that the bad teeth stereotype still exists what with the NHS compared to US healthcare :shrug:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Don Gato posted:

when I was living in Pearl, the crew of a Japanese sub literally bought all the beer at the minimart right next to them. I had to celebrate my birthday sober, which is by far the worst experience I've had in years.

Not the first time they ruined somebody's day there.

Also, page 1066! Pretty sure there was a military action in that year.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Did the rest of Europe actually care much that the events of 1066 happened?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

zoux posted:

Do Europeans generally even give a poo poo about the ACW

now, at the time, what?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Don Gato posted:

Also the French rightly know that wine is superior to beer :colbert:

Buy Belgian beer instead. I had a work night with a very close friend of mine (we're paring down Romeo & Juliet to do a Drunk Shakespeare performance at Orlando Fringe next year) who had never drank any beer more complex than PBR. I gave her a bottle of Chimay Grande Reserve I had saved and she looked at it in shock after taking a swig. When the bottle was empty she was trying to shake the last drops into her mouth.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

North and South is an under-appreciated miniseries. I haven't seen the 3rd, but 1 and 2 are quite enjoyable.

My name... is Bent. Cadet Bent.

I've never watched the show but the books are pretty good.

They are in my very broad category of "deployment literature", ie, very long books that are entertaining enough to hold your attention but not so complex or thought provoking as to require much mental energy or concentration.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Pics?

I like to think that military history approached a tipping point, where if things had gone differently, wars would be decided by who wore the most outlandish coats/hats/pant(aloon)s. But instead we got the timeline where we kept killing each other

This Osprey book has some great examples for the Union side of things.

Really though parts of the late 18th to mid 19th century is where it was boom time especially when the armies were deep in campaign had to improvise and roll with it if somehow their patrons weren't eccentric dandies or die hard neo-romantic revenge obsessed death seekers.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Don Gato posted:

Also Japanese sailors are alcoholics on a level beyond typical navies because when I was living in Pearl, the crew of a Japanese sub literally bought all the beer at the minimart right next to them. I had to celebrate my birthday sober, which is by far the worst experience I've had in years.

Dang that's worse than the first time they hit the place

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

spiky butthole posted:

We were in rationing till the mid 50's with supplies still being scarce for some time after as we were also feeding western Europe including a bombed out and destitute West Germany until it managed to economically get itself on its feet again.

Also consider that during ww1 that every family had a death (statistically) in the trenches or other fronts during that time period.

I think there was a BBC reinactment programme called Edwardian farm (or similar) which covered this time period, the people's diet and how they prepared meals.
Don't know about that one, but there is Supersizers Go Wartime; it's a series about two modern people eating their way through Britain's culinary history, and in this episode, they hit wartime rationing and the effect it had on British cuisine afterwards.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fangz posted:

Did the rest of Europe actually care much that the events of 1066 happened?

I'm wondering honestly if the neighbors cared about the poo poo that was going down in Normandy. Like did France care or were they like "not my lands, not my problem" with regard to a potential war?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

SeanBeansShako posted:

This Osprey book has some great examples for the Union side of things.

Really though parts of the late 18th to mid 19th century is where it was boom time especially when the armies were deep in campaign had to improvise and roll with it if somehow their patrons weren't eccentric dandies or die hard neo-romantic revenge obsessed death seekers.

Man sign me up for the die hard neo-romantic revenge obsessed death seekers brigade when it all goes belly up that sounds rad.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
zouaves still so fresh

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

I'm wondering honestly if the neighbors cared about the poo poo that was going down in Normandy. Like did France care or were they like "not my lands, not my problem" with regard to a potential war?

I think the French king was happy that a huge troublemaker went out of his kingdom, and less than happy when that huge troublemaker ended up becoming a king who also owned a big chunk of France.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Denmark and Norway probably cared a great deal.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
England would be a much cooler country if Hardrada won imo.

Maybe we would all be posting in a language mutually intelligible with norwegian and swedish.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Apparently this was a recruitment poster in Croatia in 1992.

If it's not true I don't want to know.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

zouaves still so fresh

On my death-bed, I gesture weakly with my hand. My children gather round. With my last breath, I stammer out the most important truth I can impart to them. "There was a Chinese dude in the Papal Zouaves."

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Polikarpov posted:

Man sign me up for the die hard neo-romantic revenge obsessed death seekers brigade when it all goes belly up that sounds rad.

It's cool until your quest takes you from your home country through several armies and due to the general nature of war and death seeking you are just stuck with the dude who created that idea and a bunch of surly vaguely disgruntled dudes who were pulled in to make up the numbers being over vaguely related to your original death seeking cause.

AKA the fate of the Brunswickers in the Napoleonic Wars and Hundred Days era. Still, you get some bitching early Victorian paintings based on your weird antics.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

Dang that's worse than the first time they hit the place

I got in trouble for calling their visit Pearl Harbor 2: Pearl Harder.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

darthbob88 posted:

Don't know about that one, but there is Supersizers Go Wartime; it's a series about two modern people eating their way through Britain's culinary history, and in this episode, they hit wartime rationing and the effect it had on British cuisine afterwards.

I'll give that a go tonight, ty. If memory serves now I've had a coffee that entire XX (king/queen period) farm on the BBC covers a huge range of periods and has historians/archeologists etc... Going through the various archives to neutrally tell people of those periods (hint it was poo poo).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

spiky butthole posted:

I'll give that a go tonight, ty. If memory serves now I've had a coffee that entire XX (king/queen period) farm on the BBC covers a huge range of periods and has historians/archeologists etc... Going through the various archives to neutrally tell people of those periods (hint it was poo poo).

Edwardian Farm was indeed a real BBC show. Supersizers is excellent because they cover British cuisine all the way from Ancient Rome to the 1980s, authentically prepared down to the smallest detail in an authentic setting and clothing, and then they perform health checks on Giles and Sue before and after their week of eating the diet to see how they were affected. They also engage in appropriate recreational and work activities for the time, ranging from Giles going hunting in Victorian times to Sue worshiping Hestia in Ancient Rome and gathering wild greens in World War II.

The Victorian one, in particular, just about killed them from the extreme amounts of incredibly unhealthy food. They could absolutely see how you'd end up with gout back then.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Disinterested posted:

Apparently this was a recruitment poster in Croatia in 1992.

If it's not true I don't want to know.

Specifically, a recruitment poster for Croatian Defence Forces, a fascist militia. They did literally have Nazi boyband people signing up for them, I talked about Death in June in the thread before.

e: typo

my dad fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 29, 2018

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

A not insignificant part of bad English cusine is that back in the 18th and 19th centuries as spices and exotic food became plentiful and common enough for even the poor to have flavorful food, the rich started moving back towards more bland boring food to separate themselves from the masses.

The rich have been eating French food in Britain since the Norman Conquest (for obvious reasons). Traditional British food is peasant food and also shares quite a lot with traditional German food - meat and potatoes, not particularly heavily spiced, but with spicy condiments instead like mustard and horseradish (slap Colman's on your hotdog like you would French's and you'll get a surprise).

It also gets an unfairly bad rap imo. It was pretty terrible in the 50s but that's true of e.g. non-ethnic American food from that time period too. The country that gave the world this (and also McDonalds) is in no position to judge.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

my dad posted:

Specifically, a recruitment poster for Croatian Defence Forces, a fascist militia. They did literally have Nazi boyband people signing up for them, I talked about Death in June in the thread before.

e: typo

Are those flags on the bottom of that image a very ironically placed automatic ad or am I missing something?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Arban posted:

Are those flags on the bottom of that image a very ironically placed automatic ad or am I missing something?

Just... Just go look stuff up about Death in June. It's bizzarre, to say the least.

e: Basically, gay Nazbols who support Israel for similar reasons American conservatives do, and see the EU as the seed for the second coming of the Third Reich. They also love money very, very much, and controversy brings a lot of it, so there's always going to be out of place symbolism.

e2: Free Tibet comes from their association with David Tibet, a mystic who worships follows in the footsteps of Aleister Crowley.

my dad fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 29, 2018

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Supersizers is excellent because they cover British cuisine all the way from Ancient Rome to the 1980s,

What happened to British cuisine after the 1980s, do they just consume nutrient slurry now?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grand Prize Winner posted:

What happened to British cuisine after the 1980s, do they just consume nutrient slurry now?

You're telling me British cuisine isn't nutrient slurry?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Meanwhile, in the UK...

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

No, they consume nutrient curries :haw:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

my dad posted:

Even worse, this has killed the humour for me.

Mostly.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Xiahou Dun posted:

You got a citation? I’m all about food history.

Siivola posted:

This is what I was going to share, it suggests there's at least some truth to the idea that cuisine changed because the rich needed to do something to differentiate their food from the filthy poors.

Arquinsiel posted:

It's still not great, based on recent visits.

What really confuses me is that the bad teeth stereotype still exists what with the NHS compared to US healthcare :shrug:

NHS covers dental too? That's pretty neat. But yeah, the teeth and bland food stereotypes about England is something that the GIs brought back from WWII, and since Americans are notoriously not worldly, it's just sort of taken as a fact 75 years later.

feedmegin posted:

The rich have been eating French food in Britain since the Norman Conquest (for obvious reasons). Traditional British food is peasant food and also shares quite a lot with traditional German food - meat and potatoes, not particularly heavily spiced, but with spicy condiments instead like mustard and horseradish (slap Colman's on your hotdog like you would French's and you'll get a surprise).

It also gets an unfairly bad rap imo. It was pretty terrible in the 50s but that's true of e.g. non-ethnic American food from that time period too. The country that gave the world this (and also McDonalds) is in no position to judge.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not going to argue that American cuisine has done anyone (except maybe Guy Fieri) any favors. And yeah, Coleman's is amazing, I mainly use it to punch up tuna or turkey sandwiches. I'd use it more, but it's pretty expensive here. The comedy value of American gelatin food is considerable.

bewbies posted:

I've never watched the show but the books are pretty good.

They are in my very broad category of "deployment literature", ie, very long books that are entertaining enough to hold your attention but not so complex or thought provoking as to require much mental energy or concentration.

The miniseries actually stays surprisingly faithful to the books considering it's condensing a thousand page book into a few hours. There's the usual thing where a storyline might be skipped or two characters condensed into one, but they made an effort to not freelance more than necessary. If you have any interest in the period, I think you'd enjoy the series. Swayze's character is the 'reluctant guy that owns slaves because that's what you do in the south but he's really a decent person' stereotype, but I'm not sure how else he could be written given the subject matter - it's a period piece that wants you to connect with the characters, and I think they do a decent job of toeing the line regarding slavery while not letting it derail the show. Which is not easy to do.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

my dad posted:

Just... Just go look stuff up about Death in June. It's bizzarre, to say the least.

e: Basically, gay Nazbols who support Israel for similar reasons American conservatives do, and see the EU as the seed for the second coming of the Third Reich. They also love money very, very much, and controversy brings a lot of it, so there's always going to be out of place symbolism.

e2: Free Tibet comes from their association with David Tibet, a mystic who worships follows in the footsteps of Aleister Crowley.

David Tibet's wiki has one of the funniest sentences:

"[his] Other influences include Noddy, Gnosticism, Austin Osman Spare..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

feedmegin posted:

The rich have been eating French food in Britain since the Norman Conquest (for obvious reasons).

French food wasn't really French food until Escoffier, though. Le guide culinaire/The Guide to Modern Cookery, and Escoffier's work at the Savoy and Ritz defined and popularized what people think of when they think of French food. Or, if you want to go back firther, Careme, who first made French cooking fashionable and into diced it to the European upper class.