Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

flakeloaf posted:

gently caress kotaku

futaku

Lol at referring to CoD like it's a tiny indie title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

if it was physically possible, i think a cloud gaming service would be cool as poo poo

Like is it always just "netflix is enough for HD videos" :downs: without realizing latency, especially upstream and at residential isps is, uh, a thing with games.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mrmcd posted:

Like is it always just "netflix is enough for HD videos" :downs: without realizing latency, especially upstream and at residential isps is, uh, a thing with games.

Netflix videos are already encoded and loaded on CDN nodes, they are not being generated in real time. Netflix can use iframes in both directions to optimize their compression, whereas this can’t because the future ones don’t exist yet. Netflix can take 5 seconds to start streaming and you don’t notice that the movie is always 5 seconds “behind”

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

The Management posted:

Netflix videos are already encoded and loaded on CDN nodes, they are not being generated in real time. Netflix can use iframes in both directions to optimize their compression, whereas this can’t because the future ones don’t exist yet. Netflix can take 5 seconds to start streaming and you don’t notice that the movie is always 5 seconds “behind”

and what are CDNs really? physical data centers placed at the "edges" of the Internet. they're great places to put racks of GPUs. i'm pretty sure both OnLive and GeForce Now are/were setting up their hardware in these CDN data centers.

i played an action game on OnLive and for once in my life completed it. that was on an awful cable connection and 2.4Ghz wi-fi. every hour or 2 there'd be a 1 or 2 second glitch where the audio stopped, then played back at 2X speed to catch up to game play. if you can withstand buggy bullshit from ubisoft or bethesda, then you can stomach that easily.

but sadly skepticism in streaming is correct. PC gaming is a cock-measuring competition where you try build the sickest rig. in large part due to marketing (e.g. the "bit wars", nVidias paid internet commenters and rigging of benchmarks).

after decades of competing on performance, these same companies are now making chips for the Nintendo Switch (nVidia) and making streaming services (MSFT, Sony and nVidia). now they'll try tell us picture quality and latency doesn't matter, which it really doesn't. but they've trained gamers to care about pixel counts, frame rates, GameWorks features, AA, texture filter, etc.

the companies best positioned to market streaming are Nintendo and Apple, since they haven't built their brands heavily on performance.

the smartest thing Microsoft could do is put their Windows 10 published games on a rebranded GeForce Now service, and publish it on Switch. the deal would involve revenue sharing and Microsoft becoming a PC and streaming-only publisher.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

streaming games is dumb as hell and will never work for anything where responses to input are required

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

all these companies tried x and failed because of y. y hasn't changed and we aren't working on it, but we're trying x again because me too!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

streaming games is dumb as hell and will never work for anything where responses to input are required

just render all possible inputs in a huge tree and stream the correct path to the user, duh

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Streamed games feel terrible, input latency is much too high. And that's on a great wired cable connection. It's like gaming on a terrible TV but much worse. I'm not looking forward to only playing Killzone 2 in the future.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

if it was physically possible, i think a cloud gaming service would be cool as poo poo
what if there were something like cloud gaming, but each person had their own computer at home

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Lambert posted:

Streamed games feel terrible, input latency is much too high. And that's on a great wired cable connection. It's like gaming on a terrible TV but much worse. I'm not looking forward to only playing Killzone 2 in the future.

input latency is even more critical with VR as well, even just a couple ms extra delay induces severe nausea. game streaming is bullshit for idiots.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i think for streaming games you'd have to have a local machine doing the latency-sensitive rendering and input handing and such, and then the machine you're streaming it from can handle the game logic and so on

you might ask yourself what this actually buys you since everyone still needs a beefy local machine, but then i say "drm" and all the video game producers start nodding along as though it's a good idea

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Jabor posted:

i think for streaming games you'd have to have a local machine doing the latency-sensitive rendering and input handing and such, and then the machine you're streaming it from can handle the game logic and so on

you might ask yourself what this actually buys you since everyone still needs a beefy local machine, but then i say "drm" and all the video game producers start nodding along as though it's a good idea
ahh but couldn't we make it faster if we plugged the monitor and controller directly into the local machine? How come nobody's thought of that?

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
have you guys seen the input lag on a modern tv outside game mode? 100ms is way more than whatever your cdn latency is and console gamers put up with that everywhere

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

TwoDice posted:

have you guys seen the input lag on a modern tv outside game mode? 100ms is way more than whatever your cdn latency is and console gamers put up with that everywhere

More like 20-30 ms with any modern TV. Still entirely too much. And playing on a TV with that much input latency already feels terrible. Adding a round trip to and from the next GPU farm, encoding time on top sounds even worse.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 29, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Same but your posts.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

Same but your posts.

:hai:

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 ðŸ™Â
Taco Defender
also i would guess that sticking rendering in edge data centers is a bit more complicated than a cdn. like, storage is pretty fungible, data can be replicated, bad disks can be detected and swapped out. trying to create consistent real time performance and reliability with a bunch of lovely gpus seems challenging

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the real hurdle isn't raw latency as much as it is variation in that latency. high input latency will make a game feel sluggish but people rapidly get used to it just like those on dial up got used to high latency online gameplay.

variation in frame arrival times on the other hand makes things look choppy even if the FPS is high and input latency swinging significantly will make a game feel pretty much unplayable.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Shifty Pony posted:

the real hurdle isn't raw latency as much as it is variation in that latency. high input latency will make a game feel sluggish but people rapidly get used to it just like those on dial up got used to high latency online gameplay.

variation in frame arrival times on the other hand makes things look choppy even if the FPS is high and input latency swinging significantly will make a game feel pretty much unplayable.

this person games

a 200 ping that stays at 200 is vastly better than flipping back and forth from 30 to 90

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

nah dialup users never had to deal with sluggish inputs, they had to deal with lag related to the results of those inputs. Like I shot a dude and it fired immediately when I clicked, but maybe the server and I disagree on where he was. This makes the game still feel ok to play, but creates what looks like buggy gameplay i.e. I shot a dude and he didn't die.

game streaming is totally different because you're going to click to shoot and then there will be a delay in the shot. this makes the game feel like slow garbage. its like using a mouse on a mac. the processing of your inputs lag behind whats going on on screen and everything feels slow.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jabor posted:

lol

PleasureKevin posted:

PC gaming is a cock-measuring competition where you try build the sickest rig. in large part due to marketing (e.g. the "bit wars", nVidias paid internet commenters and rigging of benchmarks).

this gives me pleasure, kevin

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

this person games

a 200 ping that stays at 200 is vastly better than flipping back and forth from 30 to 90

lol no. 200 ping is unplayable. 30 to 90 will be compensated by client side prediction. 200ms delay in inputs as w/ game streaming is not worth even attempting

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it'd work for a lot of games, just not fps or competitive multiplayer

there is at least some market for it - onlive made some money after all

i doubt its big enough for google to remain interested in it though

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
for games where its not critical the game could probably be played on the local system.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shaggar posted:

nah dialup users never had to deal with sluggish inputs, they had to deal with lag related to the results of those inputs. Like I shot a dude and it fired immediately when I clicked, but maybe the server and I disagree on where he was. This makes the game still feel ok to play, but creates what looks like buggy gameplay i.e. I shot a dude and he didn't die.

game streaming is totally different because you're going to click to shoot and then there will be a delay in the shot. this makes the game feel like slow garbage. its like using a mouse on a mac. the processing of your inputs lag behind whats going on on screen and everything feels slow.

it was so dependent on the game. nearly all did client side interface reactions and most did hitscan weapon impacts but many handled projectiles server-side in ways that made the latency very very apparent (a rocket not spawning or spawning frozen in your face and not having any velocity until the server responded). usually it was games that was initially optimized for LAN play with internet play added late in the dev cycle or patched in.

I guess the thing most yospos-ers would identify with would be the pain of using vnc or rdp over a vpn.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the idea is to have games run on a chromecast that look like they're being run on a $2k+ computer

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I never got multiplayer. Like, I enjoy playing stuff like FNV explicitly because of the fact there aren't people proposing "loot drop parties" (or whatever, that was a thing in Everquest which would have been the last multiplayer game I ever really did) and ruining my immersion.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

it was so dependent on the game. nearly all did client side interface reactions and most did hitscan weapon impacts but many handled projectiles server-side in ways that made the latency very very apparent (a rocket not spawning or spawning frozen in your face and not having any velocity until the server responded). usually it was games that was initially optimized for LAN play with internet play added late in the dev cycle or patched in.

I guess the thing most yospos-ers would identify with would be the pain of using vnc or rdp over a vpn.

the big difference is input lag feels significantly different from client/server lag. You can do a lot of work to reduce apparent client/server lag, but reducing input lag is much harder.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shaggar posted:

the big difference is input lag feels significantly different from client/server lag. You can do a lot of work to reduce apparent client/server lag, but reducing input lag is much harder.

good thing google has had so much experience fighting input lag with android!

although critically not all that much success

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah this is all assuming you've solved software input lag which is still a problem on linuxes like android and osx. the input lag caused by your physical layer is the big issue wrt streaming.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Schadenboner posted:

I never got multiplayer. Like, I enjoy playing stuff like FNV explicitly because of the fact there aren't people proposing "loot drop parties" (or whatever, that was a thing in Everquest which would have been the last multiplayer game I ever really did) and ruining my immersion.

i know it's difficult for goons to understand but sometimes people enjoy interacting with other people

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

CommunistPancake posted:

i know it's difficult for goons to understand but sometimes people enjoy interacting with other people

sure, but not online lol

gaming is a shameful & solitary activity and should only happen alone in the dark

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Krankenstyle posted:

alone in the dark

That's a real classic.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Lambert posted:

That's a real classic.

leeches don't have stingers what the gently caress is that thing

e: wait that was out of this world what was alone in the dark

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
200ms server latency is playable, you just get shot around corners a bit (because you weren't around the corner yet on the other guy's screen). not ideal but it's still workable.

hell it's even playable without lag compensation, you just get used to leading even your hitscan shots. then you go to lan and start potatoing everything because you're leading people too much, lmao

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lambert posted:

That's a real classic.

:yeah:

flakeloaf posted:

e: wait that was out of this world what was alone in the dark

youre thinking of another world (out of this world is the shameful american title). also the alien leeches with stingers obviously have stingers because theyre alien i mean cmon

alone in the dark is the fixed-3d lovecraftian mansion detective vs zombie ghosts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

...an alien?

christ it's right in the title

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i'm in the alpha :mrgw:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005