Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
carhilion is terrible in all ways possible. his drops is terrible, his spells are terrible and him as a summonable npc is terrible. he is so terrible he is not even worth killing. kind of impressive really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
First these statues want to spit goop at me now these vases want to turn me to stone! Where’s a guy supposed to find inanimate objects that don’t want to kill him?

(Smash all the things)

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Eh I didn't know you could get chaos blade in the first run. If only I had known this earlier. I was helping a friend with Lost Sinner on NG+ man that area before the boss is annoying with the flexile sentry.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Anyone have a check list for SotFS? Had one for ds2 but with item placement all different doesn't do me any good. Mainly want it for character story lines to collect items.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Is there a general feeling about difficulty if bosses in DS2 vs the original or DeS? It seems like with a couple of exceptions (Smelter, Rotten) I’m getting everything in five or fewer attempts.

Granted this is just NG and I do hear the DLC kicks things up a notch.

E: To clarify I wouldn’t expect it to be over the top punishing since I have some experience with the previous games, I just seem to remember more bosses in DeS (which I played after DaS) giving me trouble. May be just misremembering though.

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 29, 2018

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Fifteen of Many posted:

First these statues want to spit goop at me now these vases want to turn me to stone! Where’s a guy supposed to find inanimate objects that don’t want to kill him?

(Smash all the things)

They aren't turning you to stone in this game...

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Fifteen of Many posted:

Is there a general feeling about difficulty if bosses in DS2 vs the original or DeS? It seems like with a couple of exceptions (Smelter, Rotten) I’m getting everything in five or fewer attempts.

E: To clarify I wouldn’t expect it to be over the top punishing since I have some experience with the previous games, I just seem to remember more bosses in DeS (which I played after DaS) giving me trouble. May be just misremembering though.

Ya I think this game is general easier. Especially if you are using the npc summons. Base game is really easy other than maybe 3 bosses and even those aren't exceptionally hard.

I have just finished 2 of the dlcs and am at the last. Ya the dlc is much harder imo and has better level design than the base game. The bosses are also way more memorable and harder.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Fifteen of Many posted:

discounting dlc content, bosses in ds2 are generally easier and less cool than in the other games, with some notable exceptions like eg. the darklurker. it's one of the game's biggest flaws, imo.

the good news is that the devs really stepped up their game when making the dlc (although you might still not find them very difficult if you've already beaten ds3)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
With like 2 exceptions dark souls 1 bosses are a fair bit easier than dark souls 2 bosses.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

With like 2 exceptions dark souls 1 bosses are a fair bit easier than dark souls 2 bosses.

Dark Souls 2 is quantity over quality. It does have more harder bosses than DS1 but it does have a lot more bosses in general so that isn't really impressive. Most of them are pretty easy.

Although DS1 doesn't have many bosses or extremely hard ones, most of them are memorable and decently challenging.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
For the most part, DeS bosses are really easy compared to DS1-3 bosses. They're usually defined by having odd quirks more than their difficulty.

Flamelurker and Maneater are real assholes though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the only basegame ds1 bosses that aren't easy are bell gargoyles(easier than gargs in 2, and not hard if you upgrade), capra demon(if you aren't familiar with the fight), 4 kings(if you don't tank up) and O&S.

And "easy" ds2 bosses are not as easy as "easy" ds1 bosses. Najka is harder than quelagg because she doesn't just whiff if you get in her face, for example. Taurus is a bit easier than last giant or pursuer(cheese included, especially since Taurus is also cheesable), lost sinner/skeleton lords are around the same point of the game as gaping dragon who will basically never hit you if you strafe, etc.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Yeah those (flame and man) are the specific ones I remember pushing my poo poo in. Old King Anime too maybe?

I’m really excited to go back and replay the whole series from DeS straight through after I finish my first NG playthroughs in this, BB and DaS3. I’ve only done sword and board strength NG on DeS and DaS1 and am really looking forward to getting into other playstyles and NG+.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
False King is also legitimately pretty challenging.

Most of the bosses in DeS are tuned to players who didn’t have years of experience with the series’ combat and, instead of setting out to seriously challenge the player mechanically, focus on giving them a kind of puzzle or gimmick to work out under pressure. And there’s nothing wrong with that, especially given how relatively punishing DeS is towards death.

Dirty Colossus is still garbage though.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

the only basegame ds1 bosses that aren't easy are bell gargoyles(easier than gargs in 2, and not hard if you upgrade), capra demon(if you aren't familiar with the fight), 4 kings(if you don't tank up) and O&S.

And "easy" ds2 bosses are not as easy as "easy" ds1 bosses. Najka is harder than quelagg because she doesn't just whiff if you get in her face, for example. Taurus is a bit easier than last giant or pursuer(cheese included, especially since Taurus is also cheesable), lost sinner/skeleton lords are around the same point of the game as gaping dragon who will basically never hit you if you strafe, etc.

They are not easy as ds1 bosses but there is a LOT of them because ds2 has more bosses in total which is why the game feels easier.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't think the game feels easier, is my point.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Souls 2 non dlc bosses are generally very easy but their difficulty is built around punishing souls 1 playstyles, like lost sinner is almost comically slow but punishes rotating right, does the hopback to make you wiff in standard attack windows, has a weird hithox on the sword when you roll, and like every boss in souls 2 does windup->sit there for a second->swing with perfect tracking to punish rolls. If you’re aware of of the cheese it’s just extremely slow and never chains more than 3 swings.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

I don't think the game feels easier, is my point.

Oh ok. If I just played the base game I would disagree but with dlc I think ya it is not an easy game.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I thought most of the Dark Souls 2 bosses were easier than DS1, but the ones that were really hard, were WAAAAAAAY harder. Off the top of my head I found most of the DLC bosses, Dark Lurker, and the big rat very challenging.

I think most of the zones are harder, but that's just because most of the zones are pretty bad and have you fighting a bunch of enemies all at once. Plus there's Shrine of Amana, the worst area ever made in any game ever.

fadam fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 29, 2018

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Shrine of Amana rules and is fun.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Replaying 1 remastered really puts in contrast how slow the bosses are. Half the time, the Stray Demon doesn't even know you're there. Only bosses that really gave me trouble were Artorias, Kalameet, and the Bed. I'll give you that there's some stinkers in 2 (magus and congregation spring to mind) but they at least fight you.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

^O&S in base game are pretty tough. I actually had a much easier time vs them in ng+ than base game. 4Kings is also loving annoying depending on the playstyle/build you have. Manus is also really hard because he can one shot you but luckily he takes a lot of dmg.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

IronicDongz posted:

Shrine of Amana rules and is fun.

Demon of Song is legit my favorite boss in the series, he's just so loving cool looking. I wish the fight lasted longer.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Amazing frog?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I don't mind some of the bosses in DS2 being pretty easy, especially when they are clearly just mini-bosses halfway through an area. Like the Covetous Demon is basically just a transition boss, and the Congregation is an interesting and fun room to fight, doesn't have to be a super struggle.

I am curious if at least some of the perception of the ease of the bosses is because it's not the first Dark Souls people play. I think the first DS-style game you play feels so much harder because you haven't learned how the game works. Going back to DS1 after playing all the other games, my god the early game bosses are a relative joke (except the Capra, he/his dogs can still just trap you if you don't react well immediately).

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Yeah, no doubt that games after your first benefit from a degree of having got gud.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Yea, but then you start thinking of weird gimmicks to try out instead of just power-leveling to smashing them with a big weapon. And suddenly it's super-hard again.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
Unasked-for Update: Cleared Harvest Valley, that place was...special. I had to retire the Drangleic sword in favor of the bastard sword, for that overhand swing attack. Those ankle-biters in the fog are juuuust small enough to be a pain in the rear end otherwise.

For some reason, I took one look at the demon and thought, "Head on that thing looks like Meatwad". Now he's going to be Meatwad to me forever. I too ate the roll, even after I saw it coming from a mile out. I thought, "He's gonna steamroll me...I got time to get one more hit in."
Narrator: He didn't have time.

I cheated a bit and peeked at a walkthrough to backtrack to Straid. for the sweet, sweet boss weapons. I am really torn on what to get from the flexile sentry soul and the dragonrider's soul. Having like 4 choices per soul was weird, coming off of DS3. I hear the warped sword is good, but I am pretty tempted by the arced sword.

So far Earthen Peak is mixed. I really like the aesthetic of the zone, but I don't really enjoy playing through it. I think I just dislike zones with lots of narrow walkways over pits, because I am very bad at this game. Thanks to the goon a ways back who mentioned lighting the windmill on fire. I saw it and remembered that, and then proceeded to go 100% clownshoes trying to burn it. I definitely did not fall off the ledge while throwing firebombs at the windmill. By the time I tried the torch, I felt like an idiot. So, er...did I just do something good, or bad? :ohdear:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Morality_Police posted:

So, er...did I just do something good, or bad? :ohdear:

You made the area boss fight a lot easier on yourself.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

You can always ascetic a bonfire to retry a boss for another soul, if you want. Just remember that bonfire ascetics carry over to NG+, so it can make things harder for you, as I learned trying to get through NG+ and wondering why the Ruin Sentinels were kicking my butt so bad until I realized I had used an ascetic on McDuff's bonfire.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

DS2 is my favorite souls game, but the first half of Iron Keep is utter garbage.

Just a friendly observation as I die over and over trying to get to Smelter.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Unless something is escaping my memory, Iron Keep is the first area that felt less organic to the world and more video gamey. Like, alright there’s lava because the castle sunk into the ground and it makes sense there would be hollowed guards but the layout makes no practical sense at all. Guards on ramps and walkways to nowhere that raise and lower and have Fire spitting traps for reasons? “This is the room where we keep our spike walls and bull shaped flamethrowers.”

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It kinda sorta works if you imagine it as like a blast furnace/foundry type setup. The inside of the giant bull idol is ridiculous though.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I got the sense of a combination foundry and weird paranoid king putting traps everywhere because WHAT IF THEY TAKE MY IRON.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The Last Giant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBk55Zwbr30
I definitely didn't need to summon for this one, but I couldn't resist. Jolly co-op felt so right to kick this game off with.

The Pursuer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQIZiu2Czg0
He reminded me of something/someone, can you guess what it was

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I played through vanilla DS2 twice and this is probably my 7th or 8th trip through SOTFS so I assumed this game had no surprises left for me until I decided to see what would happen if I killed every single NPC in the game. After clearing out Majula I headed into the Huntsman Copse rotunda and my crushed eye orb started vibrating. I was offline so I knew I wasn't getting invaded and was incredibly confused, then Licia started popping off about how I figured her out and I invade her world and holy gently caress she whipped my rear end.

It's crazy that after 5+ years later these games still have little ways to catch me off guard.

Also this might have been a weird bug but The Duke's Dear Frieja was hanging out outside the Prowling Magus chapel like she does in ng+ but I definitely wasn't in ng+ and haven't used any bonfire ascetics, has this happened to anyone else?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The Pursuer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQIZiu2Czg0
He reminded me of something/someone, can you guess what it was

Nicely done! The Pursuer is definitely a step up in difficulty, but does a great job of teaching you some of the mechanics for the game. Like, Estus is super slow, so you need to wait for opportunities to drink or you are just going to get crushed. Bosses usually have some attacks with decent cooldown after them (like the Pursuer's glowy-stab-grab) that give you enough time to drink if you are not in range. Or your dodge iframes are limited (especially early on), so you need to dodge into attacks rather than away from them, or your invincibility ends with their sword in your body. Or that block is weaker than DS1, and even things you can block like the Pursuer will eat through your stamina so drat fast, so learn to not rely on shields as much (not that you had that problem).

The Last Giant is a fine first boss, but it doesn't teach you much new about DS2, since you fight him just like you fight any of the giant-type characters in DS1.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Djeser posted:

DS2 is my favorite souls game, but the first half of Iron Keep is utter garbage.

Just a friendly observation as I die over and over trying to get to Smelter.

Ya the amount of enemies is some sections of ds2 is ridiculous almost looks like a mistake. Also many of the mobs in this game aggro at the same time so you can't go for 1v1s.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's a good thing, being able to pull almost everything 1 by 1 in ds1 was cheesy and often too easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

dark souls 2 and to a lesser extent 3 kinda expect you to go in as a one-man arsenal, especially with the buffs to consumable items and ranged weapons. trying to solve all encounters with just one tool is possible but not really optimal.