Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grand Fromage posted:

I only read the first one and it was already loving nuts.

The Ashes of Eden? I love that the first quarter of the book can't stop talking about Kirk and Teilani loving like bunnies.

The Reeves-Stevenses are weird writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It was a very long time ago. All I remember was the Borg resurrected Kirk for some reason and fought Romulans?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Grand Fromage posted:

It was a very long time ago. All I remember was the Borg resurrected Kirk for some reason and fought Romulans?

That's the best one, The Return.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grand Fromage posted:

That was the second book, The Return. It also says that the Borg created V'Ger and features the Defiant tricked out in stealth black paint.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hipster_Doofus posted:

The Shatnerverse isn't good Trek, but it is good reading.

It's not good reading, but it is entertainingly bad reading.

I think The Return also features Kirk going to the Borg home planet and killing them all with a literal "Off" lever.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Timby posted:

That was the second book, The Return. It also says that the Borg created V'Ger and features the Defiant tricked out in stealth black paint.

It also had the Borg building a Dyson Sphere, which I thought was neat. And then Kirk destroying the entire Borg Collective by literally pressing the off switch on the Borg homeworld.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Cythereal posted:

It also had the Borg building a Dyson Sphere, which I thought was neat. And then Kirk destroying the entire Borg Collective by literally pressing the off switch on the Borg homeworld.

Disappointed he didn't talk the computer to death.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sir Lemming posted:

Disappointed he didn't talk the computer to death.

Nah, the premise is he goes to the Borg homeworld, to the building that controls the entire Collective, and simply pulls the emergency shutdown lever that the original Borg species put there when starting their experiment.

evilfunkyogi
Jun 27, 2005
:effort:

Timby posted:

and features the Defiant tricked out in stealth black paint.

Which if I remember correctly the heroes maneuver inside a Romulan Warbird (into the space between the hulls) and then hide there to sneak past a blockade or something.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That Defiant class ship gets renamed as Enterprise of course.

Clearly the writers just said ‘ok, who are the Federation’s biggest enemies’ and made them team up, even though it makes zero sense for the Borg to need help from the Romulans. They would just assimilate them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

One of the later novels in the series does have a good moment where Kirk/Spock, Picard/someone (maybe Worf?), and another pair of characters are locked in 3 cells of a Vulcan prison which turn out to be a holodecks. It turns out the way to get out of a holodeck prison is to have one person throw the other person dangerously hard toward what would be the actual wall of the room to confuse the projectors and end up outside the field. You then keep pressed up against the wall and inch along it to the entrance before the sensors adjust.

So you get Spock slamming Kirk into a wall, Kirk/Spock getting out first but as soon as they get out everyone else gets out in the exact same way and Kirk gets annoyed that he didn't get to be the hero since everyone else was just as smart as him.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Borg "shipyards" were a hypercube that Picard couldn't visually comprehend, which is way more badass than that string of irregular anal beads Voyager presented us with.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh and also the mirror universe was created because Crusher used future drugs to make everyone on Earth in First Contact forget about the Enterprise, the Borg, etc but Cochrane's didn't work so he flipped a coin to decide whether or not to tell the Vulcans about the race of techno-zombies that almost killed them all. Telling them is the mirror universe.

It's all Borg, all the way down.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

The Borg "shipyards" were a hypercube that Picard couldn't visually comprehend, which is way more badass than that string of irregular anal beads Voyager presented us with.

I always liked the idea that borg ships just grew over time as they assimilated stuff until they got big enough and split up into eight that went their own ways.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I liked the Birth of the Federation method where they were sort of giant Von Neumann machines. Cube assimilates a system and produces more cubes to assimilate more systems and make more cubes and on and on.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I always liked the idea that borg ships just grew over time as they assimilated stuff until they got big enough and split up into eight that went their own ways.

Congrats, 18 of 36, you are now 1 of 10. Go off, and seek Our fortune! No Kazon, please.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Brawnfire posted:

Congrats, 18 of 36, you are now 1 of 10. Go off, and seek Our fortune! No Kazon, please.

Kazon need not apply

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

On the subject of the Return, don't forget the sequence where secret black paint Defiant - Class Enterprise cloaks, slips between the hull plates of a Romulan Warbird, decloaks, and shreds the Warbird apart by spinning around like a buzzsaw.

Teenage me thought that was pretty badass.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Clearly the writers just said ‘ok, who are the Federation’s biggest enemies’ and made them team up, even though it makes zero sense for the Borg to need help from the Romulans. They would just assimilate them.

The book also had the idea of Borg sleeper agents, people whose minds had been assimilated into the Collective and overwritten but weren't cyborged up and allowed to be recovered so they could infiltrate the civilization with their conscious mind unaware that they'd been taken by the Borg.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cythereal posted:

The book also had the idea of Borg sleeper agents, people whose minds had been assimilated into the Collective and overwritten but weren't cyborged up and allowed to be recovered so they could infiltrate the civilization with their conscious mind unaware that they'd been taken by the Borg.

Ah yes, The Borg, an enemy known for their subterfuge

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ah yes, The Borg, an enemy known for their subterfuge

It gets dumber because that supposition is how Kirk is able to infiltrate the Borg homeworld and destroy the Collective. The book's logic goes like this:

* V'Ger was a Borg

* Spock mind-melded with V'Ger

* Spock's mind was assimilated by the Borg in the process and he spent the rest of his life as an unwitting Borg spy

* Spock subsequently mind-melded with Kirk

* Kirk's mind is not actually assimilated but the Borg think he's become one of them and Kirk can tap the Borg's collective unconscious to find the location of their homeworld and the off switch to the Collective, then walk freely among the Borg on their homeworld to reach the off switch and destroy them all

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Everyone's a borg.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Also, the Borg assimilate a dog

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dorg

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Kibayasu posted:

Everyone's a borg.

There are only 12 Borg models.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Your petting will adapt to service our needs.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

please gently caress my wife, ensign

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nessus posted:

Your petting will adapt to service our needs.

They're actually pretty creepy, IIRC, they're used by the Borg as patrol units. That part of the book had a small Borg cube land in the middle of a Federation colony, assimilate everything, and just start disassembling everything and welding it onto the cube, growing it larger by integrating everything it had assimilated.

I can't bring myself to completely hate these Shatner paperbacks because of little ideas like that that I think are genuinely neat little touches, and the hypercube Borg space station, and the imagining of the Borg homeworld as an innocuous little planet orbiting a white dwarf star where the Collective began benevolently as a way for a race living on a marginal planet orbiting a dying star to pool their intellectual and physical capabilities given the scarce resources of their lonely, almost dead world.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Cythereal posted:

They're actually pretty creepy, IIRC, they're used by the Borg as patrol units.

The Kazon are literally more useless than dogs

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Resistance is futile, you will be-SQUIRREL!!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Thank you Mr Woof

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Patrol units for the Borg? They don't even seem to know you're there unless you gently caress with their ship.

I kind of wish that had continued throughout, like the Borg literally didn't give a poo poo what was going on on their ships or around their drones until someone accesses a computer or fires a weapon or plants a bomb. The rest of the time, you're free to walk around. Ships could fly right up to the cube and it wouldn't fire on them.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
What was the TNG book where the Enterprise destroys a Warbird by ramming it and (barely) survives because they overcharged the structural integrity fields right before impact? I never read that one but I remember hearing about that once.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What was the TNG book where the Enterprise destroys a Warbird by ramming it and (barely) survives because they overcharged the structural integrity fields right before impact? I never read that one but I remember hearing about that once.

"Federation" I think. There's a bit where the Warbird cloaks as they ram them and the bridge crew sees the cloaking effect ripple across their bodies.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Low Desert Punk posted:

please gently caress my wife, ensign

Has star trek ever had a bad doctor? Even voyager managed to have that one good thing about it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

Has star trek ever had a bad doctor? Even voyager managed to have that one good thing about it.

phlox is it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

Pulaski.

Come at me, haters.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bashir for the first 2 seasons was pretty bad. I would also say the time he turned into Data was bad if I didn't also know that Siddig hated that change to the character as much as everyone else and purposefully played it like a robot.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Disco doctor was boring as gently caress, existed only to get buried gayly, and wasn’t even the CMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

That one doctor whose research ended up saving Worf from a life of being a vegetable, but she discovered it unethically or something so she's the bad guy.