Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Orions Lord posted:

The light inside the helmet isn't that something from the ''movies'' so you recognize the personage.
Why do they use it here also?

It's so you can see the FOIP faces the commando is making in there. Do try to keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It's like the poor little dude needs to be shoved off via a bulldozer.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Make that pixel pinker.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Zzr posted:

Make that pixel pinker.

Voxel. It's a statue.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
What the hell is Tier 0 supposed to mean in this context? I know in reality it's just another crappy buzzword, but is this something they made up out of the blue or is it an actual term with meaning in development?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

skaboomizzy posted:

What the hell is Tier 0 supposed to mean in this context? I know in reality it's just another crappy buzzword, but is this something they made up out of the blue or is it an actual term with meaning in development?

In a support context, Tier 0 means user self-help (using Google, automated help desk tools, or asking your "guru" co-worker).

Since this looks like something a layman hacked together by googling and using tutorials, I would say this qualifies as Tier 0 development.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Honestly, this poo poo-heap of a thread is above tier 0. So one can surmise their own opinions on this clusterfuck of a game.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I like that the guy trying to calm everybody down has an avatar from the Dune fever dream demo Chris had to have for a Gamescom one year, and all the stuff in it has never been seen again.

If I recall this was also the demo where they made the sad gamescom video afterwards about how they only needed like another week to get everything perfected, and then all those weeks came and went and well, you definitely don't have your Dune level anywhere!

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 29, 2018

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’ve had more fun reading these threads than the game ever would have given me anyway and I didn’t even need to buy a picture of a spaceship.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve had more fun reading these threads than the game ever would have given me anyway and I didn’t even need to buy a picture of a spaceship.

:same:

It's been the best!

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

YOUTUBE: Star Citizen - A Chris Roberts Game

I made a thing. Actually more than one. This isn't really it but I hope it proves amusing. It already has one down vote after being live for only a few minutes so I guess I'm doing something right...

(Actually, does anybody remember who made the 8 bit animated loop from Big MoMA's House? I need to credit them.)

This is pretty good.

This will be pretty good.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
I made a thing.

I hope you guys and gals enjoy it! (Also mad props for the feedback along way from lots of goons.)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Golli posted:

Star Citizen: 3.2 Beta
The word beta is not in the text on the linked website, though. :shrug:

JugbandDude posted:

I find it hard to believe Galactus would hide behind a fake handle :colbert:

Galactus is actually Ben's true form :ohdear:

:yikes:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

G0RF posted:

I made a thing.

I hope you guys and gals enjoy it! (Also mad props for the feedback along way from lots of goons.)

It is a good thing, you should embed the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrbgnFxJ5dE

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I just want this all to be over with at this point. Release it, or pack up shop. However keeping the development “game” going will create the maximum lulz so keep on keepin on CIG :thumbsup:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Daztek posted:

It is a good thing, you should embed the video!

Thank you.

Also, anybody watching on Mobile would be advised to use the YouTube app. Browser playback in chrome or elsewhere can get pretty noisy.

Really it’s much better on a desktop. The Fidelity!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mr Fronts posted:

Note the $10,000 espresso machine in the bottom right corner.

:lol:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Nice little look at the previous work of the of the associated gang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv6UaHZxUys

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I said come in! posted:

It still blows my mind that a Star Citizen backer suggested a sexual assault / rape mechanic for the game and other backers took it seriously and agreed with it.

The target demographic are gamergaters, so it’s really not that surprising.

The thing about Reddit is you can see a users entire community history. Virtually every fanatic backer posts in alt-right, MRA or gamergater subs.

Didn’t Chris Roberts go on a gamergater rant at some point?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

G0RF posted:

I made a thing.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

I have no idea why this makes me :lol: but it does.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

The target demographic are gamergaters, so it’s really not that surprising.

The thing about Reddit is you can see a users entire community history. Virtually every fanatic backer posts in alt-right, MRA or gamergater subs.

I think his rant was that we/derek were in fact the gamergaters, because harassment.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

G0RF posted:

I made a thing.

Beautiful and true.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

G0RF posted:

I made a thing.

GORFisEDITING!

loving. Epic.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

I made a thing.

:tviv:

Goddamn G0RF that was amazing

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

The editing is so good

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

skaboomizzy posted:

This is kind of an important point, and it's really hard to explain here, but I'll do my best.

If CIG is using a term that is used in actual game development, they're doing it to appear like a real game development studio. In these cases, they're using the term wrong. See: refactoring, pipeline, pre-alpha

If CIG is using a term that is NOT used in actual game development, they're doing it to appear like they're creating cutting edge technology. In reality, the technology has existed for years, if not decades, with a different name, and CIG's implementation is completely wrong and is full of errors that even the actual pioneers didn't make when they were first figuring it out. See: subsumption, tier 0, quantum linking

Oftentimes they will find a way to combine the two approaches, and use real game development terms in a way that makes them appear like they're the first people to figure out a long-solved problem. In every case, they're either using the term wrong, or mangling the underlying technology beyond recognition. See: network bind culling, serialized variables, object container streaming

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Its loving bonkers but yes, he did.

Its about ethics in games journalism, you see

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Stolen from Space Truckin Simulator forums

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Scruffpuff posted:

This is kind of an important point, and it's really hard to explain here, but I'll do my best.

If CIG is using a term that is used in actual game development, they're doing it to appear like a real game development studio. In these cases, they're using the term wrong. See: refactoring, pipeline, pre-alpha

If CIG is using a term that is NOT used in actual game development, they're doing it to appear like they're creating cutting edge technology. In reality, the technology has existed for years, if not decades, with a different name, and CIG's implementation is completely wrong and is full of errors that even the actual pioneers didn't make when they were first figuring it out. See: subsumption, tier 0, quantum linking

Oftentimes they will find a way to combine the two approaches, and use real game development terms in a way that makes them appear like they're the first people to figure out a long-solved problem. In every case, they're either using the term wrong, or mangling the underlying technology beyond recognition. See: network bind culling, serialized variables, object container streaming

Yep, this is exactly right.

And it works. We see it work. Sc fans even mix up CIG's BS and assume when they use some common industry term, that they're referring to what it means in the industry. But it often doesn't.

Its a house of misnomer'd cards.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

I made a thing.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

G0RF posted:

I made a thing.

Fidelitious, very good stuff.

Occasionally, the sound spikes on my Firefox/laptop were a bit too loud, but nothing terrible.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep, this is exactly right.

And it works. We see it work. Sc fans even mix up CIG's BS and assume when they use some common industry term, that they're referring to what it means in the industry. But it often doesn't.

That's what's killing me about this. People try to be edgy and call people "sheeple" and all that other silly horseshit.

Then you see this. You see this, and you think, if certain people aren't sheep, then what the gently caress else can they possibly be described as?

When I see some kid on YouTube look at a lovely ship and say in breathless tones "Oh my God the fidelity" even though he never uttered the word before in his life, that's a sheep.

When I see yet another Reddit post parroting CIG's latest bullshit term like "Tier 0" like they're loving experts, that's a sheep.

When I read another Tweet where someone mindlessly repeats some Subsumption AI fever dream, that's a sheep.

I've never seen a company so easily manipulate a subgroup of humanity before. Even religion has escapees, and that has thousands of years of refinement behind it. CIG has these people on an adamantium leash. There has to be someone at CIG in his 80s with a doctorate in this poo poo and a lifetime of studying cult behavior. CIG tells them what to do, what to donate, and what to say, and the backers obey 100% without question. They are controlled down to the atomic level. Hand puppets have more autonomy.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Crazypoops posted:

what happened to the rest of the money?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

G0RF posted:

Thank you.

Also, anybody watching on Mobile would be advised to use the YouTube app. Browser playback in chrome or elsewhere can get pretty noisy.

Really it’s much better on a desktop. The Fidelity!

Holy poo poo dude, this is absolutely excellent. Is it actually a series?

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Crazypoops posted:

:gary: :five: :yarg:

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

G0RF posted:

I made a thing.

WOW G0RF! That was great.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

big nipples big life posted:

what happened to the rest of the money?

Well it equals out if the credits were multiplied by 1,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

G0RF posted:

I made a thing.

Quality.... got tired of waiting for Bootcha to finish his series? :D