Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I grew up in marginal farmland and heard about it, though not any specific examples. More that farming is an occupation for already crazy people, incredibly boom and bust, and likely has been affected far more by pretty much any and every economic downturn than most industries. Also, farmers tend to be crazy bwm, though I'm not sure whether it genuinely is more affordable to buy a new combine harvester when the old one breaks down because combine harvesters are slow and expensive to take anywhere.

Hell, the farm we were on had a combine harvester as the equivalent of a car propped up on bricks in the front yard, apparently the engine still ran but it was otherwise unusable. Was great to climb up into and pretend it was a spaceship.

Then again, that place had a loving swimming pool (defunct and the liner all torn up), in bumfuck nowhere farm country, on top of a hill. And the property was over a century old. There's some weird poo poo out there.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Most ag now is corporate behemoths. The mom and pop small family farms that still exist are a supplemental family income. Usually at least one person in the household has a non-farm job to make sure the family can eat and whatnot.

the farm bill is national BWM

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My wife's family has dairy farmers and they run a medium sized operation (300-500 head), but they also specialize in organic stuff and sell through a co-op to a worldwide brand that's not price sensitive chunky monkey. That gives them a little cushion, but dairy farmers elsewhere don't have those advantages.

So the government steps in and does something stupid like Montana where the sell-by date on milk is half that of everywhere else and stores routinely dump 100's of gallons of the stuff each week.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/best-enjoyed-by/

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Ixian posted:

Mass Transit instead of horses the new BWM thread

Make SF's transit system horse exclusive

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

My wife's family has dairy farmers and they run a medium sized operation (300-500 head), but they also specialize in organic stuff and sell through a co-op to a worldwide brand that's not price sensitive chunky monkey. That gives them a little cushion, but dairy farmers elsewhere don't have those advantages.

So the government steps in and does something stupid like Montana where the sell-by date on milk is half that of everywhere else and stores routinely dump 100's of gallons of the stuff each week.

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/best-enjoyed-by/

Please thank your wife's family for their service to this great nation and my taste buds.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Please thank your wife's family for their service to this great nation and my taste buds.

If you work at the Ben & Jerry's factory you get 3 pints a day.

Employees there have chest freezers full of the stuff and die young.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It’s not the time you live, it’s the quality of the experience.

Died ten years early because he ate Ben and Jerry's everyday for twenty years. Oh woe is us, he could have lived another ten years if he’d eaten only vegetable and lean meat and worked out every other day forever and didn’t smoke and drink.

Why yes my doctor just put me on a diet why do you ask?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
*eats single spoonful of Ben & Jerry's out of a tiny salt spoon for dessert after lettuce salad* who the gently caress says you can't enjoy life???

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Krispy Wafer posted:

If you work at the Ben & Jerry's factory you get 3 pints a day.

Employees there have chest freezers full of the stuff and die young.

They are allowed to take 3 pints home because before that they were eating 3 pints a day straight off the line or even more. B&J wanted to have more control over how much the line employees were eating and to not run afoul of FDA regs.

Get 3 whole pints instead of eating 1/8 a pint of 24 flavors, that's easier on the factory.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
At like 280 calories a pint, Halo Top is GWM/GWL, get that Ben & Jerry's poison outta here

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

Trustworthy posted:

At like 280 calories a pint, Halo Top is GWM/GWL, get that Ben & Jerry's poison outta here

Look at this awful opinion. Halo Top sucks.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hutzpah posted:

The peanut butter one is good, all the others are kinda bad

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8uohua/hi_everyone_i_just_got_a_job_with_a_salary_of/e1hvhai/

quote:

401ks notoriously under-perform the stock market and are really only good investments with a match.

Should I invest in a 401k or in the stock market :confused:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I guess the real BWM is listening to financial advice from people who don’t understand how these things work.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I think they mean the lovely mutual funds that the median 401k offers

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Trustworthy posted:

After you get used to eating the entire pint in one sitting you can no longer go back to real ice cream.

potatoducks fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 29, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Trustworthy posted:

if you're going to eat ice cream, eating garbage tier poo poo ice cream because it's ~low cal~ is super BWM and BWL

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you're going to eat ice cream, eating garbage tier poo poo ice cream because it's ~low cal~ is super BWM and BWL

Yum yum stevia.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I was going to comment on the fact you can't build Tokyo sized buildings in earthquake prone San Fran and then I remembered, oh yeah.
The median Tokyo building even in central areas is like 6 stories tall. Yes there are a lot of skyscrapers but the city isn't just that, not even close.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Died ten years early because he ate Ben and Jerry's everyday for twenty years. Oh woe is us, he could have lived another ten years if he’d eaten only vegetable and lean meat and worked out every other day forever and didn’t smoke and drink.

Live fat die young

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hutzpah posted:

Eat the ice cream

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's better than most full calorie ice creams because it's not made entirely out of corn derivatives and emulsifiers. It probably has more cream in it than most of the poo poo at Walmart.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

neonbregna posted:

Live fat die young

And leave a not so good looking corpse.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Leviathan Song posted:

It's better than most full calorie ice creams because it's not made entirely out of corn derivatives and emulsifiers. It probably has more cream in it than most of the poo poo at Walmart.

It might not, seeing as how they're the target of a class action lawsuit for underfilling their pints.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Halo Top is the methadone of ice cream

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
measuring ice cream in volume is super misleading because you can whip it extra and put it right into the batch freezer and its only 300 calories a pint becuase it's 80% air bubbles

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Leviathan Song posted:

It's 50% air. It's easy to cut calories when you replace the edible stuff with air. Just pick up a container, you can tell it weighs half what a pint of B&J does.

Here's a suggestion: Just eat half as much good ice cream.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Weatherman posted:

Also also I can get on any train by tapping my card and then go pretty much anywhere in the entire region (and some other cities elsewhere, even) and tap out from the same card. poo poo works.

Bay Area has this part.

The cards and gates aren't as good, though. Along with everything else.

FrozenVent posted:

I diet and train and would probably do both even if they shortened my life, because they make me feel good both immediately and indirectly by their effect on my appearance and ability to move and do things.

But, as luck would have it...

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Phanatic posted:

It's 50% air. It's easy to cut calories when you replace the edible stuff with air. Just pick up a container, you can tell it weighs half what a pint of B&J does.

Here's a suggestion: Just eat half as much good ice cream.

I mean yes, when you're comparing it to Ben and Jerry's which is about twice as expensive. That's one of the few better ice creams at the grocery store. Halo top is stevia, fruit and air instead of corn syrup, corn oil, and air like 90% of the grocery store. Is halo top expensive where you live?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Halo Top is the methadone of ice cream

Pretty much. I'll buy one of the non-poo poo flavors if it's on sale (like mint or pistachio) but I'm not going to pretend pistachio Talenti or something like that doesn't blow it away.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

Bay Area has this part.

The cards and gates aren't as good, though. Along with everything else.

Clipper doesn't cover everything, unfortunately. There are some trains/routes in the South/East Bay that are basically just doing their own thing, e.g. ACE from Fremont to San Jose.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Leviathan Song posted:

I mean yes, when you're comparing it to Ben and Jerry's which is about twice as expensive. That's one of the few better ice creams at the grocery store. Halo top is stevia, fruit and air instead of corn syrup, corn oil, and air like 90% of the grocery store. Is halo top expensive where you live?

Halo Top Vanilla:
Skim milk, eggs, erythritol, prebiotic fiber, milk protein concentrate, cream, organic cane sugar, vegetable glycerin, natural flavor, sea salt, vanilla beans, organic carob gum, organic guar gum, organic stevia leaf extract.

Edy's Vanilla:
Skim milk, cream, sugar, whey, tapioca starch, pectin, natural flavors (with vanilla extract), guar gum.

Breyer's French Vanilla:
Milk, cream, sugar, egg yolk, tara gum, natural flavor

Halo Top tastes bad where I live. Granted, I only tried one flavor, maybe the others are better.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Vox Nihili posted:

Clipper doesn't cover everything, unfortunately. There are some trains/routes in the South/East Bay that are basically just doing their own thing, e.g. ACE from Fremont to San Jose.

Oh. :sigh:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Leviathan Song posted:

Where do you live? Halo top is regularly more expensive than Ben and Jerrys around Chicago.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wow, I am very out of the loop wrt ice cream

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Halo Top has coconut based versions of their stuff that is real, real bad and isn't always clearly labeled.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

CheesyDog posted:

Halo Top has coconut based versions of their stuff that is real, real bad and isn't always clearly labeled.

I tried one once (because lactose intolerant). I spit it out in the sink and threw the rest in the trash. Truly vile

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Ice cream derail is totally harmless but also real real dumb

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Wow, I am very out of the loop wrt ice cream

Being out of the loop with american dessert chat is extemely gwm and gwl

Yay we're back on topic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

baquerd posted:

Where do you live? Halo top is regularly more expensive than Ben and Jerrys around Chicago.

Oklahoma, it's on sale like twice a month for dirt cheap here. Also, we only get the lovely fake Breyers that can't be labeled ice cream. I think everyone gave up on competing with Braum's or something. That and Ben and Jerry's are the only thing I've found better than Halo top around here.