Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A friend of mine had a relationship-ending fight in the ice cream aisle when he wanted a cheap gallon tub but she insisted on a pint of B&J's. He basically ended up heartbroken over a couple bucks lol

GWM tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

I had a dream which involved Haagen-Dazs Carrot Cake ice cream; a flavour that doesn’t exist.

Every day since then has been pain as I keep wanting this nonexistent ice cream.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Leviathan Song posted:

I mean yes, when you're comparing it to Ben and Jerry's which is about twice as expensive. That's one of the few better ice creams at the grocery store. Halo top is stevia, fruit and air instead of corn syrup, corn oil, and air like 90% of the grocery store. Is halo top expensive where you live?

Halo Top is half as much ice cream, so it should be cheaper.

quote:

Halo Top has more air whipped into it than other ice creams, meaning it weighs just 256 grams to the 428 grams of a Ben & Jerry’s pint, as Time has pointed out.

By me it's still $4-5/pint, so it's also BWM.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Fitzy Fitz posted:

A friend of mine had a relationship-ending fight in the ice cream aisle when he wanted a cheap gallon tub but she insisted on a pint of B&J's. He basically ended up heartbroken over a couple bucks lol

GWM tho

Reminds me of the time my patents yelled at each other for half an hour over how many towels fit in the washing machine. That kind of fight isn't about whatever you are arguing about, and it is best to get down to what you are actually fighting about early on.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Aldi makes a knockoff halo top that's the same stuff for under $3 a pint.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

therobit posted:

Reminds me of the time my patents yelled at each other for half an hour over how many towels fit in the washing machine. That kind of fight isn't about whatever you are arguing about, and it is best to get down to what you are actually fighting about early on.
There are many sides to this one! Proper weight and volume loading is a thing. Plus needing a shrink for the relationship issue.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

SiGmA_X posted:

There are many sides to this one! Proper weight and volume loading is a thing. Plus needing a shrink for the relationship issue.

therobit posted:

I'm not really sure why patents are yelling but it sounds like a case for a patent lawyer.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.wiscnews.com/baraboonew...baca0e79e1.html

Bad with money: committing felonies to upgrade the bar's cable package so you can watch out of market college basketball games on vacation, one time.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

Slow down just a second. Where are you located? I am an Aldi aficionado and I've never seen this.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sock The Great posted:

Slow down just a second. Where are you located? I am an Aldi aficionado and I've never seen this.

I'm in Nashville, TN. Looks like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/TrollXChromosomes/comments/8j0o3z/aldi_started_making_its_own_version_of_halo_top/

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
You guys are making me want some ice cream. Jerks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8uujgc/dont_know_who_to_trust_is_what_this_company_is/

quote:

Don't know who to trust. Is what this company is telling me the right thing to do? (self.personalfinance)

I'm at a loss and not sure what direction to go in. I'd really appreciate a solid direction from anyone that is well versed in this arena or has had experience in this situation - really unsure who I can trust.

Here is a situation:

I run a family business with my parents out of our home. We refinanced that home in 2005 as we really wanted to build a separate building for the business on the property as we had the space. At the time we applied for the new mortgage we hired an architect to design the studio. The refinancing went through but the cost to build a studio ended up exceeding what we had imagined due to factors in the housing industry, based on area region etc... It became cost prohibitive.

Rather then sit on the money we ended up investing in some unrelated real estate in hopes of a return some day. How can you go wrong with real estate?

Then the bubble burst, for everyone. 2008 and the recession, you know the rest is history... If that wasn't enough, my dad had total kidney failure. We managed to get him on disability, as he can't work anymore.

Oh did I mention that the money we borrowed had a variable interest rate? It didn't bother us at the time because we thought we would just refinance it in a few years before the rates went up. We tried to refinance but didn't qualify any longer. Good idea... until everything that could go wrong went wrong.

We tried to get a refinance due to the kidney failure as a hardship case and we were denied.

We were trying to keep up with the payments, and did for a long time, but it has slowly bled us dry as we tried to figure out a way to refinance.

We still have equity in the house of between 200k and 400k. We also have a lawyer handling the mortgage company who told us we could stay here longer - but for an indefinite amount of time? Of course the payments of $5400 per month are adding up, not to mention interest and penalties. We are currently a year and a half behind on the mortgage payments. The rate was 6.75%.

Other than the delinquency on our mortgage, we have no other debt (thanks to this sub).

Another issue we are having is with our Home Owners insurance. Never ever had any claims. Been a Client for 13 years. We always paid or bill. They had no issues taking our money full well knowing our property size, square footage and my fencing and everything else it entailed.

We experienced last September 2017, the colossal category 5 Hurricane Irma, which did considerable damage to the house, considering a 23 year old roof and not to mention we are on acreage with over 1000 feet of fencing that is destroyed and heavy landscape debris removal, etc...

We are currently going through the process with a public adjuster and a lawyer to remedy this and he sees us as having a good case for the money. There are no liens on the property as we're waiting for the money before starting a re-roof.

So our mortgage company has officially served us. We have a lawyer who is going through the process for us of responding to the suit.

We had a company contact us offering us cash for the property (I assume they found out as soon as the lawsuit was filed). After discussing it with these people, they shared with us the 3 options we have moving forward:

Reinstatement if we managed to get a modification,
Sell the house, pay off the mortgage company and take what we can,
Take their cash offer.
He told us to do a couple things:

Request a reinstatement of the mortgage so we understand what it would take to make the loan current,
Request a Payoff to find out what the difference would be if we sold,
And request for a modification again. (he said to just call them non-stop and keep trying)
Ideally, we would like to stay in the house - but we can't afford $5,400 a month. I do understand that the longer we wait, the more equity we lose on the property. We also understand that if we need to sell and move, that's what we have to do.

TL;DR: We are behind on our mortgage due to family health issues and a variable loan and have not had any luck with a modification. What should we do?

My questions and concerns:

What would you suggest moving forward?
What would be the best move for us financially?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

canyoneer posted:

Bad with money: committing felonies to upgrade the bar's cable package so you can watch out of market college basketball games on vacation, one time.

That’s some good social media detective work, too.

I mean, it’s not that the guy tried to cover his tracks or anything but it’s nice to see them doing it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
poo poo happens and natural disasters and health problems are no joke.

But the last time they made a mortgage payment Obama was President. That's like $100k they haven't paid. If they can't make it work after that, then there probably isn't a workable solution. Just let it go, man. Let it go...

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Motronic posted:

True on that specific parking regulation - but I was speaking more generally about regs that the uninformed don't necessarily see as NIMBY-ism, like permeable land requirements, onerous stormwater management or traffic engineering study requirements, and a laundry list of others.

You have made some good points about balancing economics, density and equality, but this is a bad take.
I'm a design professional working principally in urban areas and permeable land requirements and stormwater management needs are critical because 60+ years of conventional civil engineering strategies have had disastrous results.

Also, traffic studies are pretty easy to game if you are so inclined.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Twerk from Home posted:

But does it still have the same lovely texture?

I tried Halo Top once and for the price, I'd rather get ice cream that actually seems creamy instead of like a freezer-burnt brick. Maybe that's exclusive to the red velvet flavor, but I sure as hell wasn't buying another pint to check.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
It's really a shame that ice cream is bad for horses otherwise we could take this thread to the next level.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

When has something being bad ever stopped anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwpgmHtxm3c

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Magissima posted:

I agree with your plan 100% but Tokyo doesn't actually have this at all. Iirc the central loop line is run by JR East, the semi-privatized descendant of the national rail network, and there are a number of other privately owned subway lines in addition to the municipal subway.

There was a great article about the insane costs of building any subway track in NYC. The ridiculous costs aren’t just because this is a big city.

quote:

An accountant discovered the discrepancy while reviewing the budget for new train platforms under Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan.

The budget showed that 900 workers were being paid to dig caverns for the platforms as part of a 3.5-mile tunnel connecting the historic station to the Long Island Rail Road. But the accountant could only identify about 700 jobs that needed to be done, according to three project supervisors. Officials could not find any reason for the other 200 people to be there.

“Nobody knew what those people were doing, if they were doing anything,” said Michael Horodniceanu, who was then the head of construction at the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which runs transit in New York. The workers were laid off, Mr. Horodniceanu said, but no one figured out how long they had been employed. “All we knew is they were each being paid about $1,000 every day.”

But surely any major world city would have the same costs? Nah, Paris is doing the same project for a sixth of the cost.

quote:

In Paris, which has famously powerful unions, the review found the lower costs were the result of efficient staffing, fierce vendor competition and scant use of consultants.

In some ways, M.T.A. projects have been easier than work elsewhere. East Side Access uses an existing tunnel for nearly half its route. The hard rock under the city also is easy to blast through, and workers do not encounter ancient sites that need to be protected.
“They’re claiming the age of the city is to blame?” asked Andy Mitchell, the former head of Crossrail, a project to build 13 miles of subway under the center of London, a city built 2,000 years ago. “Really?”

Building anything for the subway in NYC: GWM if you’re connected, BWM for everyone else.
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/28/nyregion/new-york-subway-construction-costs.html

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

canyoneer posted:

This guy's from my hometown! It's a fairly upper-middle class Chicago suburb and I am not at all surprised to hear about one of its residents saying, quote, “Kevin also said the only thing he did was use someone else’s name.”

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sure is a nice cavern you have there. Be a shame if something were to... happen to it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Noggin Monkey posted:

You have made some good points about balancing economics, density and equality, but this is a bad take.
I'm a design professional working principally in urban areas and permeable land requirements and stormwater management needs are critical because 60+ years of conventional civil engineering strategies have had disastrous results.

Also, traffic studies are pretty easy to game if you are so inclined.

I mean, I get this burden needs to be shouldered by someone and you are coming from a very practical engineering standpoint......but isn't this supposed to be satisfied from income you should plan to get on increased property tax income from more residents? If not, it seems like you are doing it wrong.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ixian posted:

It's really a shame that ice cream is bad for horses otherwise we could take this thread to the next level.

Is ice cream bad for public transportation too?

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Motronic posted:

I mean, I get this burden needs to be shouldered by someone and you are coming from a very practical engineering standpoint......but isn't this supposed to be satisfied from income you should plan to get on increased property tax income from more residents? If not, it seems like you are doing it wrong.

No, because then the burden is on the municipality to do it, at much larger scale and greater cost, rather than solving things on a site-by-site basis.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Midjack posted:

You have any idea how hard it is to tunnel a Subway through fifteen miles of solid chunky monkey? You'd be lucky if each excavator could get through 3 pints a day!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Then you should take away the shovels and give them spoons.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Higher density: GW ice cream, GW urban planning, GW money.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Noggin Monkey posted:

the burden is on the municipality

I'm not trying to be purposefully naive, but that doesn't seem at all responsive to my question.

Why is it that the increased tax income from new residents doesn't make up for this? And if you answer is "it's not enough" my next question will be "why did the set their tax rate too low or why can't they modify it based on the reality of what's changed/what is happening now"

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

It's 50% air. It's easy to cut calories when you replace the edible stuff with air. Just pick up a container, you can tell it weighs half what a pint of B&J does.

Here's a suggestion: Just eat half as much good ice cream.

If I was capable of only eating half as much good ice cream, I wouldn't need to look at stuff like Halo Top.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Vox Nihili posted:

Higher density: GW ice cream, GW urban planning, GW money.

How do you increase the density of money? Is it subject to Boyle's law?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

FrozenVent posted:

you're joking but look at this

https://www.zompist.com/jacobs.html

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
We are a society that believes anything can be overcome except when poor people might benefit. Then it’s impossible even when other countries do it (healthcare, wages, transportation).

Granted, most of the countries that do this stuff well benefit from a homogenous society that’s wildly racist but so long as it’s African population stays under 1%, investing in public services is still investing in themselves.

On the topic of Halo Top, allocate your calories better and you can eat real ice cream. It’s expensive trash.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Halo top is an barely even icecream-adjacent product that comes pre freezer burned. It is garbage and horrible.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Adam Vegas posted:

I had a dream which involved Haagen-Dazs Carrot Cake ice cream; a flavour that doesn’t exist.

Every day since then has been pain as I keep wanting this nonexistent ice cream.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/carrot-cake-ice-cream-1665202

Also on the Portland Apartments, when I was living there, a ton of new apartments being constructed in Tualatin/Beaverton/etc. south of Portland are those maybe being counted in one and not the other? This does nothing to improve trafffic, but it is something to note.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 30, 2018

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
gently caress ice cream, frozen custard is where it's at. At least 10% milkfat and extra artery-clogging egg yolk.

Bad with money: my father in law, who has spent thousands of dollars on bullshit MLM conferences and self help seminars already, has decided to start a new job - buying leads so that he can sell insurance. My husband asked how much it would cost... just a few hundred dollars for the certification. Plus he has to buy every single lead. And he knows nothing about insurance, which means this is for one of those lovely companies who sells insurance people don't need or that just sells the certification, who knows, who cares.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Midjack posted:

Someone drops their half empty Cherry Garcia pint on the platform, someone else slips on it does a header in front of an arriving train. So very many possibilities.

If then someone postulates that said public transportation was a stagecoach funded by horse-backed cryptocurrency, and then John Smith showed up to tell us all how the person who got run over deserved it because only poor people take public transportation - why then I think we'll have hit the BWM thread lottery.

Crossing my fingers here.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Look at all the fatties itt

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Purestrain gold, friend.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Goons will never, ever miss the opportunity for a food derail.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
gently caress y'all, Halo Top is amazing. The secret is letting it sit for a few minutes before eating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

canyoneer posted:

quote:

451: Unavailable due to legal reasons
We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, contact hostmaster@madison.com or call 866-884-2126.
Why the hell does Wisconsin want my data so bad?

Vox Nihili posted:

Purestrain gold, friend.
https://twitter.com/newscientist/status/1012672892067336193