Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Ghost Leviathan posted:

At least he's not the one trying to convince a family of five to move into one.

They're literally massively overpriced, less mobile trailers.

In the mini home thread someone referred to them as millennial “cuck shacks.” I cant get the phrase out of my head and find myself muttering it and chuckling to myself.

Ziv Zulander posted:

I've really been thinking about the trailer life lately. I'm 25, I work full time, and I still live with my dad. I want to finally move out, but there's no place I can afford without having a bunch of roommates. It'd be a downgrade from my current place, but would it really be that bad to have an RV to call my own? It'd be around 500 a month for a space in a lot, all said and done. I can't afford much, but I could afford that. A few of my friends do it, they seem to be happy about it. I've got enough money to buy an okay one used, maybe I should just pull the trigger and get it over with.

I have a buddy from HS who works on offshore rigs and when he’s home lives out of a trailer that he takes around the country. One thing you might want to consider is maintenance costs. It seems like every month he’s shelling out for something.

E: missed quote from ziv on first pass

Flutieflakes017 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My [18F] coworker [50sM] had a camera with a red flashing recording light on pointed directly at me on 2 separate occasions.
She said she is going to talk to him today and figure out what’s going on. My concern is she has known this guy for 20+ years (she also knows he’s a creep. He smacks my boyfriends sisters butts (16 &9) all the time.) and no matter what happens I know he will still be working here after the fact.

I just realized this means he has essentially known these children their entire lives and been a creep and the mother hasn't done poo poo. gently caress 'em both honestly.

e: the mother and the creep that is! oh god please don't read that the wrong way.

dudeness fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 29, 2018

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Call CPS on your boyfriend's mom.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Flutieflakes017 posted:

In the mini home thread someone referred to them as millennial “cuck shacks.” I cant get the phrase out of my head and find myself muttering it and chuckling to myself.

i'm permabanned poster tinyhouser58...

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
My [57F] daughter [19F] has become rebellious since starting university, and I can't stand it.

quote:

u/mariasbakery112
I've made a throwaway account because my daughter knows my usual one.

My daughter began studying in university last September, and was always a very sensible and well behaved girl. She was very polite and good natured.

She is living at home for the summer holidays, as many students her age in the U.K. do, and I'm finding her increasingly hard to get on with. Suddenly, she doesn't eat meat, she's thinking about dying her hair blonde and she's talking back. She's starting arguments over the silliest things, like what shoes she's wearing, and I don't know what to do about it as a parent.

She has some form of social anxiety and didn't make friends in university. She worked very hard instead and got all firsts in three subjects, which I'm very happy about. I know that she didn't go to parties etc, because I facetimed her every night at about 9pm and she was always home. The family she rented from said she was always home by 7:30 in the evening, so I know she was not spending time with bad influences. So I have no idea where all this attitude and rebellious streak has come from?

I don't really know what to do with her. I don't know how to discipline her as a technical adult or what to say to her.

I'd especially love advice from parents but all welcome! Thank you

Tl;dr - daughter has suddenly become rebellious and argumentative since starting university. I don't know what I can do about it.

Bolded some of the telling parts.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The "own a home" american dream meme strikes again.

I want to own a home. I want to lay such a sick burn, such a devastating insult that a physical structure is forever without respect

Milotic posted:

My [57F] daughter [19F] has become rebellious since starting university, and I can't stand it.

loving millenials. Dying hair? Choosing their own shoes ?!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Milotic posted:

you have to let your kids out to make friends and get into trouble because otherwise their rebellion is fueled by the internet and hoooooooo boy that's worse than doing drugs and petty crime

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Milotic posted:

What shoes could she possibly be wearing that he argues with her about them? Is this guy a quaker or some poo poo and she's showing ankle? They're loving shoes.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Milotic posted:

If my mom tried to call me every night at 9pm I would just stop talking to her ever. Hope the comments are telling him he's way too overbearing.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ouhei posted:

What shoes could she possibly be wearing that he argues with her about them? Is this guy a quaker or some poo poo and she's showing ankle? They're loving shoes.

teenage rebellion and shoes you say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpYTkavEt20

nice girls dont wear cha cha heels

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Milotic posted:

If she wasn't somewhat rebellious before then, you done hosed up raising her, which is also probably why she has no friends.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Beachcomber posted:

Hi!

We live in a manufactured home park in Silicon Valley. We moved here because our apartment complex was sold and the new owners jacked up the rent $500 a month.

This is cheaper enough that our house, lot rental, car (we used to use only public transportation), and insurance for those things is less than what we were paying before.

It's bigger than our apartment, 3 beds, 2 full baths, living room, sun room, big kitchen, laundry room/vestibule. 1900 sq ft -ish.

Challenges:

1.We will never own the land

2. Making peace with the fact we're trash people who live in trailer park.(even though there's no trailers allowed)

AMA

During undergrad, I lived in the family RV parked at a local trailer park. $200/month covered rent and utilities except for gas. Rigged a hookup to a septic system and gas tank to keep the place warm. Let me tell ya, RVs do not have great insulation - and when that gas runs out, it gets cold fast.

Moving out after graduation was a breeze. Disconnect utilities, slide back in the popouts, pull up the stabilizers, and away you go!

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
My daughter is becoming an autonomous human being and won't let me dictate her every move :qq:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

My daughter is becoming an autonomous human being and won't let me dictate her every move :qq:

i thought weird controllingness was mostly an american thing. poor kid. at least she's been able to buy hard cider since like, 12 or whatever

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Imagine facetiming your parents every night lol. I was feeling considerate if I phoned my parents once a month.

Pelvic Floor Wax
Jul 21, 2007

I[25], Her[24]: I lost her because I did something so stupid. Need Advice

We are both 25 years old. I have been chasing this gorgeous looking for girl for a month and she finally became my girlfriend on 6/23. She has always asked me if I am hiding anything from her and I would reject it anytime. Until the day we got together, some friend used to be close decided to screenshot all of our conversation and send it to her. The conversation was 6 months ago which included me in constantly asking my friends to introduce me girls and that I really wanted to meet girls and such and such. But I have always told the girl that I have only chased her in for a long time. I never had sex with any other those girls but she still feels betrayed because I kept lying to her. She said she gave me the chance to just tell her every and she said if I did, she would have not minded but she hated how I lied to her. I just thought it was not necessary to tell her since it was 6 months ago but no excuses, I did lie to her and It was my own fault.

Another lie I had was that I know she is super superstitious and she has been waiting in line for a month to see this psychic and I secretly went before her and consulted the psychic before her. I also bribed the psychic to tell my gf that I am the guy of her life. In a result, she fell in love with me a lot quicker because of what the psychic said.She found out about that and was very disappointed that I lied to her and even got someone included to trick her.

In a result, she broke up with me.I know she definitely still cares about me but she is extremely disappointed and she said she really wants to see my change. She also admitted I treated her really well and definitely the nicest guy that has ever treated her. She said we "might" have a chance again if I can really show her I will no longer be a lier and not be disrespectful to girls (in the conversation, I said some disrespectful things). Is there anything I can do to win her back? I am sincerely going to change and all those happened 6 months ago. I have honestly stopped what I was doing ever since. Please help give me some advice.

What I am currently doing is to still send her a caring text everyday to show her that I am not giving up on her and I am trying to change at the same time. My friend told me she added him a day ago and asked him what he think of me as a person. Right now, I am very lost and do not know what to do. I really hope you guys can help me out.

tl;dr; : I lied to my girlfriend and never revealed what happened 6 months ago and also bribed a psychic to win her faster. She broke up with me after finding out.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Why do my guy friends keep coming after me (self.dating)

quote:

It’s so exhausting. I just want a genuine friendship with a guy without it getting weird.

I got upset because I went to this table top gaming group that I meet up with bi-weekly. I’ve been terribly depressed after being hurt by the one person I actually liked. So I drank too much and by the end I had blacked out. I wake up and I’m at the group leaders house and I just think “What the hell. No no no”. My clothes were on so I’m assuming he didn’t try anything. He ended up asking me out on a date because obviously I led him on by being flirty and ending up at his house. I told him I literally didn’t remember anything.

I told him yes to the date but I think I’m going to text him and let him know I don’t feel that way. I’m also way to messed up in the head right now to feel anything. I just want this group to stay platonic because it’s just innocent fun and it’s been helpful having a special group. He’s actually not the only guy from that group to try and pursue me.

It’s funny because I always sound so desperate or lonely but yet I have guys coming after me. I do try and be light hearted on my social media but I can’t help it. I might be depressed but I’m not desperate enough to end up with just anyone. It’s not easy for me to find someone I like and who I can imagine waking up to their face everyday.

I’m just tired of people being interested in me except the one guy I do I want. Will this endless cycle ever end?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's an inevitability of life that the most attractive and put together people you'll ever have the chance to date will only appear to flirt with you when you're at the lowest low of a depressing breakup and can't fathom tying both shoes let alone dating someone new.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Pelvic Floor Wax posted:

tl;dr; : I lied to my girlfriend and never revealed what happened 6 months ago and also bribed a psychic to win her faster. She broke up with me after finding out.

This is like the plans the coyote makes to catch the roadrunner

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Pelvic Floor Wax posted:

We are both 25 years old. I have been chasing this gorgeous looking for girl for a month and she finally became my girlfriend on 6/23. She has always asked me if I am hiding anything from her and I would reject it anytime. Until the day we got together, some friend used to be close decided to screenshot all of our conversation and send it to her. The conversation was 6 months ago which included me in constantly asking my friends to introduce me girls and that I really wanted to meet girls and such and such. But I have always told the girl that I have only chased her in for a long time. I never had sex with any other those girls but she still feels betrayed because I kept lying to her. She said she gave me the chance to just tell her every and she said if I did, she would have not minded but she hated how I lied to her. I just thought it was not necessary to tell her since it was 6 months ago but no excuses, I did lie to her and It was my own fault.

Another lie I had was that I know she is super superstitious and she has been waiting in line for a month to see this psychic and I secretly went before her and consulted the psychic before her. I also bribed the psychic to tell my gf that I am the guy of her life. In a result, she fell in love with me a lot quicker because of what the psychic said.She found out about that and was very disappointed that I lied to her and even got someone included to trick her.

In a result, she broke up with me.I know she definitely still cares about me but she is extremely disappointed and she said she really wants to see my change. She also admitted I treated her really well and definitely the nicest guy that has ever treated her. She said we "might" have a chance again if I can really show her I will no longer be a lier and not be disrespectful to girls (in the conversation, I said some disrespectful things). Is there anything I can do to win her back? I am sincerely going to change and all those happened 6 months ago. I have honestly stopped what I was doing ever since. Please help give me some advice.

What I am currently doing is to still send her a caring text everyday to show her that I am not giving up on her and I am trying to change at the same time. My friend told me she added him a day ago and asked him what he think of me as a person. Right now, I am very lost and do not know what to do. I really hope you guys can help me out.

This was painful to read.

Caganer posted:

"Why would this guy I flirted with all night and who's house I went back to want to ask me out on a date? UGH life is so hard"

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
My boyfriend (27M) of 5 months lied to me (27F) about having been tested for STD's.

quote:

So my boyfriend and I have been together for about 5 months now. Things, for the most part, have been great, and we've both fallen in love.

Before we went condom-less the first time, I told him that I was tested a couple months ago and was clean. I asked if he has been tested recently, and he told me he had been. Fast forward a few months - I went in for my annual pap smear yesterday, and got the results back today. I have chlamydia.

I did have another short term guy I was seeing between my last annual and when I started dating him, and we didn't always use protection. So I was worried that I could have gotten it from him and passed it on to current BF.

Side note here, his friends have often made jokes about him being a slut. Outside of a little jealousy, it didn't bother me much because everyone has their past, and what really matters to me is us, and the present.

So I call him and have the uncomfortable conversation. Explain that it's just one dose of antibiotics and no sex for a week, and you're cured. He immediately takes responsibility, saying he's been a bit of a slut in the past, and it's likely him that gave it to me.

He then tells me that he needs to confess something that has been weighing on his mind a lot. That he lied when I asked him if he had been tested. That in the moment, he had never had any symptoms and figured he was fine. That he's been feeling guilty about it since, but has a tendency (which he says he's working to fix, but he still gets caught in sometimes) to not want to rock the boat, and that's why he didn't tell me earlier.

Originally I was scared I gave it to him, then I figured if it's something from his past and it's curable with a pill and a week off sex, I can look past it and it doesn't have to be a big deal. But now hearing that he lied to me about that makes me wonder if I can trust him at all. And I'm realizing it's only through pure luck that all it is is a STI that is curable with a pill. It could easily have been a lifelong issue. On top of that, I like to do check in's periodically in relationships. Is there anything bothering you, anything we need to talk about, etc. For the purpose of getting to molehills before they turn into mountains. He never brought this up in those talks.

Is this something you could have a discussion about and work through, Reddit? I feel like we are strong on so many other aspects of our relationship, but this has me doubting some of them now, too.

TL;DR - Boyfriend lied about having been tested for STI's and (likely) gave me chlamydia. What do?

EDIT: I wasn't clear in the original post. I had had unprotected sex with a short term boyfriend after my last pap. I had the same conversation with him, regarding his status, and he told me that he had been tested in the past month, hadn't had sex in the meantime, and was clean. I trusted that, which I realize now was naieve. And that in not sharing that piece of information, I am in the wrong, as well. I am realizing that I'm overly trusting, and could have been the one that passed it on. So I am not blameless. However, naieve as it may have been, I was acting in good faith and he was not. I'm still just very torn on what to do with this.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Guaranteed this lady still believes in psychics and is just going to try and find an honest one, like someone who got burned by a shady mechanic.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Caganer posted:

it'd be kind of one thing if she gave any context on how they were all creepers but it sounds like they're just legitimately nice friends who were there for her in her lows offering her pretty low pressure opportunities to date. Like i get her frustration that she can't hang out with single guys she enjoys hobbies with without them hoping there's something more there but by her own description it sounds pretty lowkey and that they're still there for her as friends.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

ArbitraryC posted:

it'd be kind of one thing if she gave any context on how they were all creepers but it sounds like they're just legitimately nice friends who were there for her in her lows offering her pretty low pressure opportunities to date. Like i get her frustration that she can't hang out with single guys she enjoys hobbies with without them hoping there's something more there but by her own description it sounds pretty lowkey and that they're still there for her as friends.

She gets black out drunk at table top secessions. She should be glad they all want to gently caress her to put up with that, that would be annoying as hell.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Caganer posted:

My boyfriend (27M) of 5 months lied to me (27F) about having been tested for STD's.
The guy is an idiot, but her last test was useless anyway since she raw dogged it since then with a "short term" boyfriend, ie. not a boyfriend.

They both need to learn to make better choices.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
People are telling me [25f] that I should just forget my deceased friend [27m]

quote:

I'm sorry if I ramble in this post, I really get emotional thinking about this.

About a year ago my friend was brutally murdered outside of his childhood apartment block. The police still haven't found who's done it and according to the witnesses that heard the shooting from their apartments, it started out as a verbal argument. A witness that was in his balcony smoking said he saw my friend punch a man in the head area before the man pulled out a gun and shot him twice.

His whole life was pretty rough. His parents pretty much abandoned him at 16, he went from stealing cars to selling drugs and was almost sentenced to 6 years in prison at 19, two of his closest friends died - one in a stabbing and the other one in a car crash. He got arrested at 21 again for robbery and after he just barely managed to slip out without going to prison, he turned his life around so much that I will always respect him for it. He enrolled into university and graduated with a computer engineering degree, he had a high GPA, he was sociable, funny, friendly and (at least to me) he was so kind, caring and genuine that I feel like I've lost something irreplaceable in my life.

He told me that he always had anger and temper issues, as a teenager he had gotten into so many fights that he had a lot of scars on his face from it. He was stabbed twice and once he told me he was genuinely tried to strangle (the person who had stabbed him before) to death until his friends pulled him off. There were so many sides to him. He was funny, charming and always making jokes and smiling, the other him was the tough guy who lifted weights and fought a lot, then there was the sweet, caring side of him that I feel like a lot of people never got to experience because he lacked the social skills to properly interact with people, as he had admitted to me. He was very honest - he admitted his faults, he tried to actively be a better person, he told me he felt sorry about all the crimes he had committed and the people he had robbed and that he feels bad every time he thinks about it.

If you met him, you would never say that this funny, bubbly, outgoing guy was anything but a great person.

But the other side of him was the aggressive assh*le that constantly got into fights, burned bridges and lashed out at people for the smallest amount of perceived "disrespect".

When I first met him, he made a bad first impression. We became friends at university, he asked me for a lighter and then we started talking and then I met him again at a party and we found out we had mutual friends. I don't remember how exactly our relationship blossomed into what it became, but I genuinely feel as though he was my best friend, a sentiment that he shared as well, we spoke about it a lot. He helped out a lot - financially, emotionally and morally and always supported me, always stood up and went out of his way to help me and others when he could. I was in a toxic relationship when I met him and he was the one who made me see it, when I broke up with my ex and started dating another friend(my current boyfriend), he really helped my boyfriend in terms of relationship advice and getting over his insecurities, because he was really jealous and emotional when we first started dating. When I was sick he took care of me once, my mom passed away and he bought me and my 15 year old sister tickets to fly out and go to the funeral, when I was having breakdowns he was always there for me and he always helped my boyfriend out financially, because he was really struggling while at uni. My boyfriend wasn't even his friend and they never became that close. I always hoped they would, but they just stayed "acquaintances" and my boyfriend periodically had bouts of jealousy because of him.

throughout our almost 6 years of close friendship, we only argued once and he was nothing but good to me.

But other people, my boyfriend included, disagree with my assessment of him. My boyfriend and I recently had a massive argument when he got upset because I told him I want to go put some flowers at his grave. He just started shouting "Again?" and told me that I really need to stop thinking about him, because I am "exaggerating" our relationship. My other friends have told me that he wasn't a nice person. He briefly dated my other friend and when she heard he had died she literally said "good riddance" to someone else we know and it really hurt me. When I confronted her about it, she didn't deny it and said she can't feel sorry for him dying, because he was nothing but an rear end in a top hat to her and she saw him hurt/fight too many people to see him as anything else but an "rear end in a top hat". Two of my other friends, who were actually his friends before he event met me, told me that they feel sad that he died, but that he "Probably deserved it" and that he just couldn't control his emotions properly.

My roommate, our mutual friend from university even said that he was "emotionally unstable" and that this was going to happen sooner or later. She told me that when she heard the story of how he died, she wasn't in the least bit surprised and imagined it that way before even know it. There are other friends of his that were upset about his passing, but one of them was crying and she even said that she felt heartbroken, but "he was heading towards this for a while".

Emotionally unstable and losing control of his life, he had just graduated uni and started his career at a good company before he died. He was only 27 years old. I was so heartbroken that I cried for days. I couldn't stop. I bawled at his funeral, I was a wreck the whole way home. I couldn't sleep because I kept waking up, having panic attacks and just crying my eyes out.

But people are telling me to move on and attacking him and his behavior. I don't justify the things he did, but I cared for him as much as a person possibly can for another and I get so upset when people talking bad about him, even if it's deserved.

tl;dr Boyfriend and several friends are telling me to forget about my dead friend, that he was a bad person and that I should just move on and stop "caring" about him. But almost a whole year later, I still feel as equally devastated as I did back then and I don't know what to do. I feel as thought regardless of what kind of person he was, he didn't deserve to die that way.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Leon Einstein posted:

The guy is an idiot, but her last test was useless anyway since she raw dogged it since then with a "short term" boyfriend, ie. not a boyfriend.

They both need to learn to make better choices.
yeah I mean obviously the dude lied but she lied in p much the same way. Your last test doesn't count if you've been barebacking strangers since then. She's all "he could have given me something worse" without acknowledging she could have given him something worse too and she lied in the same way he did.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

ArbitraryC posted:

Your last test doesn't count if you've been barebacking strangers since then. She's all "he could have given me something worse" without acknowledging she could have given him something worse too and she lied in the same way he did.

technically she was sexually assaulted, because having sex with someone too dumb to give informed consent is a crime

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Haifisch posted:

People are telling me [25f] that I should just forget my deceased friend [27m]

It's been a year? Get counseling, hon.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
On the tiny house people, when I was a kid my Dad was a lazy rear end in a top hat who didn't want to work so me, him, my stepmom and stepsister lived in a 2 room plywood shack in the middle of the woods. No running water and a potbellied stove for warmth. I showered at campgrounds (in rural Arkansas, there were more bugs than you could ever imagine) and pissed and poo poo in a bucket.

I would've stabbed someone for a tiny house as a kid. But getting out of that nightmare scenario is pretty much the only way I'd live in one. I don't care how many fish-eye lenses that website uses, it looks like you could stretch out your arms and touch all the walls. I agree with reddit lady, those things are claustrophobic.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Bribing the girlfriend's psychic to put in a good word for him was a great idea (almost as good as dating someone who doesn't believe in psychics). Too bad he was dumb enough to get caught. I bet his "friend" sent her screenshots of him confessing to that too.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

gently caress Your Website posted:

It's been a year? Get counseling, hon.

Opposite reaction from me. A good friend was murdered a year ago, not to mention the murder is unsolved? Of course she's not over it. Like, her friends and boyfriend should not tell her how to grieve or when she's grieved 'enough'. Of course counseling is a good idea, but I understand why she wouldn't be over it.

On the other hand, the dude sounds like a complete rear end in a top hat that no one else liked so maybe she should just not bring him up in conversation anymore.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

ArbitraryC posted:

Idk man, these are guys in a tabletop group right?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

empty sea posted:

On the tiny house people, when I was a kid my Dad was a lazy rear end in a top hat who didn't want to work so me, him, my stepmom and stepsister lived in a 2 room plywood shack in the middle of the woods. No running water and a potbellied stove for warmth. I showered at campgrounds (in rural Arkansas, there were more bugs than you could ever imagine) and pissed and poo poo in a bucket.

I would've stabbed someone for a tiny house as a kid. But getting out of that nightmare scenario is pretty much the only way I'd live in one. I don't care how many fish-eye lenses that website uses, it looks like you could stretch out your arms and touch all the walls. I agree with reddit lady, those things are claustrophobic.

I too lived the Arkansas shack life for a while but it got tornado'd so I married my girlfriend to avoid homelessness.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Opposite reaction from me. A good friend was murdered a year ago, not to mention the murder is unsolved? Of course she's not over it. Like, her friends and boyfriend should not tell her how to grieve or when she's grieved 'enough'. Of course counseling is a good idea, but I understand why she wouldn't be over it.

On the other hand, the dude sounds like a complete rear end in a top hat that no one else liked so maybe she should just not bring him up in conversation anymore.

Didn't say she should be "over it" but she should definitely be relatively functional and not breaking down to bloo bloo bloo randomly. That's not typical in any way and counseling is what she needs. Yeah it's sad and it's ok to take flowers to his grave and poo poo but it also seems like the rest of the world (including the guy's close friends) understand this.

Sorry if you're still mourning XXXTentacion

Fuck Your Website fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 29, 2018

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

gently caress Your Website posted:

Didn't say she should be "over it" but she should definitely be relatively functional and not breaking down to bloo bloo bloo randomly. That's not typical in any way.

It haunts her that the dude she was jonesin for so hard came across as an rear end in a top hat to everyone else and when they insult him it feels like they're insulting her.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

tactlessbastard posted:

I too lived the Arkansas shack life for a while but it got tornado'd so I married my girlfriend to avoid homelessness.

What storied lives Goons live. Sounds like a Mark Twain novel.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Ouhei posted:

You would be surprised at how much poo poo parents can find to criticize. My mother once called my 13 year old cousin "a hussy" for wearing "inappropriate clothes." The clothes in question were a pair of blue jeans, a hoodie, and Ugg boots because it was winter and it was cold. My mother's objection was "the clothes show off how skinny she is."

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011

yikes
from /r/parenting:

My 13 year old daughter is pregnant and I want to throw up

quote:

I’ve never been so distraught in my entire life, and I feel like an abysmal failure of a mother. What parent allows their 13 year old child to even be seriously dating, let alone having sex? How did it even happen? I’ve always prided myself on staying vigilant and present in my daughters life, and have done my best to keep an open dialogue. My daughter has had several “boyfriends” but never anything serious or more than inviting them to family movie nights, ordering pizza and playing video games or maybe dropping them off at the mall for a few hours. I’ve done my best to make sure she has the proper supervision, without being overly restrictive or helicoptering. We’ve talked about sex many time and I’ve been clear that it is a normal thing to do, but within the confines of a safe, healthy relationship when you’re emotionally mature enough to handle all the intimate complexities and consequences that come with sharing your body with someone. I’ve personally only ever been with my husband, and while I didn’t expect her to wait until marriage, I did expect her not to just give it up to the first boy that asked.

She came to me a few weeks ago and told me she’d had her first kiss at her schools end of year field day. I was happy she felt that she could trust me and told her I was happy for her, but I did let her know that I felt that while peck kissing was perfectly fine, anything more than that at this age is definitely inappropriate. I wouldn’t say I’m a prude, but I don’t believe 13 year olds should be exploring past 1st base at this point in the emotional development. She assured me that she wasn’t comfortable going any farther than kissing and that she only did it because she was the last of her friends to have their first kiss. Admittedly I should’ve seen that as more of a red flag, but I remembered being 13 and know that peer pressure can be intense. I made sure to tell her that she should never do anything she’s not comfortable with just because other people might be ready before her.

I noticed my daughter seemed much more withdrawn and irritable lately, and I was starting to worry but also figured hey, she’s 13, it’s rough. I opted to give her some space and not really force her to talk to me about it just yet. I assumed her and her best friend were in a fight, since she hadn’t been coming by lately. After a couple days of her locking herself in her room, not eating, and hearing her cry in the bathroom several times a day, her father and I decided to sit her down this morning and ask her what exactly was wrong. She just sat at our table in silence with a blank expression on her face, and wouldn’t even look at us. I asked if she was having problems with her best friend, if we’d done something that’d upset her or if something was going on online that I needed to know about. Nothing. No expression, not even one worded answers. I was starting to get a very bad feeling in my gut and asked to see her phone. She flipped her sh!t. My daughter has never even so much as breathed wrong in her father and I’s direction, with the exception of some very normal/mild preteen and teen attitude, so I was very caught off guard. She began screaming at us to leave her alone, to “mind our f***ing business”, that we “don’t need to know sh!t” and to F off. She got up from the table and tried to walk out our front door and my husband grabbed her and just tried to bear hug her until she calmed down. I’d never seen her so explosive and distraught and to be honest it scared the hell out of me. I actually though she’d had a nervous break down.

After awhile, she calmed down. We took her phone, she tried to snatch it away from us one last time but I took her by the arm with me upstairs and sat her down in my bedroom. That’s when the tears just came. She was absolutely inconsolable. I couldn’t understand a word she was saying and she began hyperventilating. At this point I started crying too, just out of pure fear and confusion. My daughter has always been a very happy, excitable girl with bare minimum behavior issues. She’s always smiling and hanging out with her friends, making everyone laugh. This was a side of my daughter I didn’t recognize.

That’s when she dropped the bomb on me, she’s pregnant. I felt so sick I was dizzy. I didn’t know what else to do so I just hugged her and cried with her. My husband found us upstairs and looked bewildered, so I pulled him into the hallway and told him. He just walked off. Just got in his truck and drove away. He’s been gone since noon and keeps forwarding my calls to voicemail. I feel so scared for my daughter and overwhelmed, and I hate that he just up and left me with this all by myself. I took my daughter to our local health department this afternoon and had them do a test to be sure. She’s definitely pregnant. My 13 year old child is pregnant and life doesn’t even seem real anymore. She’s being sent in for a dating scan next week, but from the day of her last period, she could be nearing 10 weeks along. She just started her period at the beginning of the school year, and she hasn’t been regular. The girl doesn’t even know how to use a tampon and she’s pregnant. How could we have failed her this badly? How does this even happen? I’m just..defeated? I don’t even know what I am to be honest. I can’t find the proper words to express this feeling.

After some discussion, I’ve discovered that the father is a 16 year old neighbor kid that I’ve literally only met twice? Maybe 3 times? He does lawn care in our neighborhood during the summers and I’ve had him mow our lawn once. I didn’t even know they knew each other, let alone had been having sex. How did I not know? She told me that under no circumstances will she get an abortion. She told me she won’t kill her baby and that if I try to make her, she’ll just disappear. I would never ask her to do something like that and I certainly wouldn’t force her, but she won’t even hear what I have to say about adoption and she’s made it clear she wants to raise this baby. Any time I’ve brought up adoption or talking to someone at the pregnancy crisis center, she shuts down and stops talking to me. I asked her if she’d told the father, she said that she told him on Tuesday, and that he offered to take her to the clinic for an abortion and when she said she planned on raising the baby, he blocked her number. She said she tried walking down to his house but no one would open the door.

I’m sick, furious, confused and so so scared. What the actual f**k do I do? What even is the next step in this situation? My daughter is barely an 8th grader and she wants to have a baby? I’ve stressed over and over how unbelievably hard her life is going to be. I’ve explained to her that she’ll likely have no choice but to homeschool, she’ll likely have a hard time finding a job and never be able to go to a university. She’s going to live in poverty and be a single mother. I’ve tried telling her that she deserves so much more from her life and that a baby deserves a mother who can provide for it properly, and that she have her whole life to become a mother. What 13 year old wants to have a baby?! I’ve tried to explain the gravity of the situation and the seriousness that is raising a life, but I just don’t think she’s hearing me. We really can’t afford to raise another baby but I don’t know what other choice we have.

I know this is long, but the last 10 hours of my life has been like a dream. I have no idea where my husband is, my barely not baby is having a baby, we can’t afford another child and I don’t think my marriage would survive something like this. It’s been sort of cathartic to get this out there, since I don’t really have anyone to tell right and and honestly, I don’t think I even want to. Reddit, what do I do? Because I just want to lay down in a hole and cry right now. I really just need some direction and support right now because I’m at a completely loss.

Edit: I contacted my local non emergency line and they sent out two officers to my home. I’d looked through my daughters phone and read the messages between her and neighbor kid. They’d apparently been texting since before the school year ended. Before she told me about her first kiss. They’d made plans to have sex at his house while his family was out of town for a long weekend. They both seemed eager. My daughter actually was the initiator, but it’s very clearly obvious that he took advantage of her eagerness and desire to “finally” lose her virginity. She sent him a few nude pictures as well. That was hard to read. Still not as hard as the half assed police work we have in this town of ours. I went down the street to the boys house with the officers and the parents and the boy walked out onto the lawn. The parents seemed less than concerned about the situation and were hardly helpful. The kid (I’ll call him H) claimed that my daughter sought him out and “practically begged” him to have sex with her, and that the baby probably wasn’t his because he made sure to “pull out”. Honestly, I could’ve killed him with my bare f***ing hands at that point, but I didn’t need an assault charge on top of this madness. The parents requested to see the text between them and the officers also asked to read them. Essentially, after a heated 30 minutes, the officers declined to arrest this kid since I guess in my state there’s a close in age clause for 14-18 year olds and since my daughter will be 14 in September, they just saw it as two hormonal teens, not a real crime. The officer also politely informed me that my daughter could actually be charged herself for distributing child pornography. They said it’s probably best if we handle this “in house”. The parents then informed me that I could contact them with a lawyer if I wished to discuss this any further and that I should wrangle in my “fast rear end daughter”. I’m absolutely seething and I want to fight someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Pick posted:

I honestly don’t think one slap is that big of a deal, whether it’s a guy slapping woman or a woman slapping a guy, life is loving hard and terrible. If that’s the worst thing that ever happened in your marriage, that is pretty phenomenal. Where the gently caress did people’s standards come from.
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This post reminded me that a while back in this very thread, Pick claimed it was OK to beat your partner if you were just staying with them for benefits. I'd try to quote it, but she has almost 200 pages of posts in this thread.