Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Uthor posted:

YouTube is allowing me to play video over other apps in a small window suddenly this morning. I thought this PIP functionality was only for YouTube Red subscribers?

Google auto-subscribed you.

Seriously, though, they've decided (at least for now), to make that feature available to everyone*. AP article: [Update: Rolling out widely in the US] YouTube testing picture-in-picture mode for those without Red subscriptions.

*They've given content owners the option to not allow it for videos, and it seems that option is used mainly by music videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

YouTube is allowing me to play video over other apps in a small window suddenly this morning. I thought this PIP functionality was only for YouTube Red subscribers?

We don't have Red here, and PiP is available with a Youtube Premium subscription only.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Kheldarn posted:

*They've given content owners the option to not allow it for videos, and it seems that option is used mainly by music videos.

Well, I can watch Rachel Maddow yell about Russians while browsing the Awful Forums, at least.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Found something else while browsing the file system. It's really annoying and an appropriate nuance to "don't janitor your phone". I uninstalled Spotify a while ago, but the cache still lingers.

I could have cleared cache first before uninstalling, but I expect every app's poo poo to be cleaned when I uninstall. Perhaps the root folder and some settings can remain, that just annoys the old PC janitor in me. But 1.8 gig of what used to be nice songs but is now useless crap does actually require janitoring sooner or later.

I hate to even mention it but a file manager like ES will ask if you want to delete those files after removing an app.

I know I know--

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

For cleaning up stuff like that, I like Google's own app called Files Go.

It'll every once in awhile prompt me about files that haven't been touched in awhile and are just sitting there taking up a bunch of space.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Aha! Everybody's secretly janitoring their phone.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Aha! Everybody's secretly janitoring their phone.

Android is like riding a moped

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm giving YouTube Music a try and I guess it's a nice little app. The album listening experience is a mess, though. For starters, it doesn't seem to do gapless playback, which is an absolute deal-breaker for me.

There are various other small issues that irk me even though they aren't exactly crucial issues. For some reason, on some songs, it will do that weird YouTube thing where it says "[Artist Name] - Topic" instead of the name of the album (at least on the Bluetooth text). It's also just confusing how it seems to want everything to be a video even when it isn't -- if you press the 3 dot menu while a song is playing and Share, it prompts you to "Share This Video". Again, that's not really a big issue, but it's confusing. It feels like one guy at Google has a vision of music and music videos becoming seamlessly merged, and everyone else is humoring him.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It's one of those things where if there weren't half a dozen other decent music streaming services you'd go "this is nice". Then you wake up and stuff like Spotify and GPM exist and you think "wtf are they doing with this thing".

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The only thing I like about YouTube Music is there are things that aren't available on GPM that are on YTM (or, if they are, you need to pay for them through Google Play first).

I've seen quite a few artists who have their music free on GPM for a while, but suddenly it's just gone and you have to pay for the entire album to get it back.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

ThermoPhysical posted:

The only thing I like about YouTube Music is there are things that aren't available on GPM that are on YTM (or, if they are, you need to pay for them through Google Play first).

I've seen quite a few artists who have their music free on GPM for a while, but suddenly it's just gone and you have to pay for the entire album to get it back.

I wish they'd notify you of this stuff...just give me a heads up that things are expiring instead of vanishing them out of playlists and hoping I'll notice 3 songs out of 400 are missing and buy them. The caveat of streaming I suppose..just don't hide it from me.

Just had the web messaging switch flip on for me finally. 2 days before my trial of Join was up too, sucks for them. It's not Gvoice integration or iMessage or anything, which is what I'm hoping for someday..but it's a start I guess?

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 27, 2018

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

I wish they'd notify you of this stuff...just give me a heads up that things are expiring instead of vanishing them out of playlists and hoping I'll notice 3 songs out of 400 are missing and buy them. The caveat of streaming I suppose..just don't hide it from me.

Just had the web messaging flip switch on for me finally. 2 days before my trial of Join was up too, sucks for them. It's not Gvoice integration or iMessage or anything, which is what I'm hoping for someday..but it's a start I guess?

Yeah, that's one of the worst things about streaming, honestly. It feels greedy to do that too. They've got to be getting something from the GPM/Premium subscription but I guess never enough.

I got Messages too. It could be better but I'm giving it a chance.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

zer0spunk posted:

I believe Spotify greys the songs out, which is definitely a better way of handling it because at least you can see what's not available.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Just had the web messaging switch flip on for me finally. 2 days before my trial of Join was up too, sucks for them. It's not Gvoice integration or iMessage or anything, which is what I'm hoping for someday..but it's a start I guess?

I got it too and while I don't use SMS enough for it to be make or break for me, it's not better than Join even if you were just using Join for SMS just because you can pop out Join convos to small windows which is great when you're working. It does work better than Join (mainly because of the hacky way Join has to work) but it's still crappy and then there's the 14 day reauth that I'm sure I'll bump into constantly.

For me though the key appeal is Join's actionable notification mirroring and clipboard mirroring, with sending tabs, files, and links being a close second (thanks Thermopyle for turning me onto that!). I still feel like Join is a bit too Swiss Army knife with too many things too poorly done with some amateur UI thrown on top (even if it all does work well) but for what it is I'm quite pleased with it.

By the way, there's an unofficial desktop messages client for those interested but it's really early and doesn't do the one thing you want it to do which is run in the background and listen for messages so it's not really that useful yet.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Holy poo poo YouTube Music is bad. I have it set to not stream unless I'm on wifi, so now it won't initiate playback of my downloaded music unless I do it from the "Downloads" screen. It doesn't realize that I have downloaded my playlists. Earlier today, it even refused to resume playback mid-playlist because I wasn't on wifi.

azurite fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 28, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

It's got so far to go to even approach the usability of Google Play Music that I think we all know it's going to get about half way there by the time they kill GPM. The missing features will never be ported, the transition will be half-assed and incomplete, and the product will be borderline unusable.

Every time I use it it disappoints in a new way. It's just absolute trash.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Am I missing something, or is there no way to set an image as wallpaper from Google Drive?

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

spincube posted:

Am I missing something, or is there no way to set an image as wallpaper from Google Drive?

Just download it to your device and set it as the wallpaper.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
Can anyone recommend a good battery monitor app? Basically i just wanna see the total mAh or battery % my apps have used without resetting every time i do a full charge. Display and sensor percentages would also be nice.

I absolutely won't use anything that uses ads and would definitely prefer open source.

Verge fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 29, 2018

elmer chud
May 18, 2018

Verge posted:

Can anyone recommend a good battery monitor app? Basically i just wanna see the total mAh or battery % my apps have used without resetting every time i do a full charge. Display and sensor percentages would also be nice.

I absolutely won't use anything that uses ads and would definitely prefer open source.

Accubattery will show you app and display usage, though I am not sure if it resets after a charge. I'm not sure if it has ads; you should use DNS66 to block them, anyway.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

YouTube Music is kind of a garbage fire filled with music GPM doesn't have...but I REALLY want something that works on desktop that can use Google Podcasts.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
What really baffles me about YouTube Music is that the mixtape playlist it prepares for you is based entirely on music you listen to on YouTube, and it takes no information whatsoever from your Google Music profile. :psyduck:

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Will they actually force GPM users off? I feel like this is an Inbox situation. When only tech heads switch off it'll just exist as this semi abandoned alternative and the original will coopt the few good ideas it had. Like Snooze.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

G-Spot Run posted:

Will they actually force GPM users off? I feel like this is an Inbox situation. When only tech heads switch off it'll just exist as this semi abandoned alternative and the original will coopt the few good ideas it had. Like Snooze.

Who knows. I think they've only said that the subscription service is shifting to youtube music/premium.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
There really is absolutely no way of knowing, because Google. But GPM is nowhere near as popular as Gmail, and it's a highly competitive sector of the market, so my bet is they're gonna put all their eggs in the YouTube basket because it's their sexy (ish) new app and has good brand recognition.

Also it's funny to me that the app icon calls it "YT Music". Hey, I listen to rap too!

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Also it's funny to me that the app icon calls it "YT Music". Hey, I listen to rap too!

glad I'm not the only one to have this thought

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Does this mean they will crack down on music uploaded to YouTube?

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Ola posted:

Does this mean they will crack down on music uploaded to YouTube?

I doubt it. I'd bet they still make tons of royalty-free money off those.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
To be completely honest, if it weren't for YouTube Red, I would have switched to Spotify a while ago.

Actually, I'm not even sure what YouTube Red gives me besides access to special videos (do I even watch any?) and no ads (but doesn't adblock already block youtube ads???)

????

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Montalvo posted:

To be completely honest, if it weren't for YouTube Red, I would have switched to Spotify a while ago.

Actually, I'm not even sure what YouTube Red gives me besides access to special videos (do I even watch any?) and no ads (but doesn't adblock already block youtube ads???)

????

Adblocking on mobile devices and chromecasts. And the warm fuzzies that you are supporting the videos you watch without suffering through ads. But yeah it's the same for me, if I didn't get the bundle I would just move to spotify, because GPM is Not Good and it sounds like YTM is even worse.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've been paying for soundiiz for a few months to keep my playlists in sync between spotify and GPM so I could really evaluate the two.

The problem is that they both have things I like and that I do not like so I can't make a choice.

To really stick it to them all for not making it an easy choice I imagine I'll waffle between the two for months more the whole time paying subscription for both of them as well as the 5 bucks/month for soundiiz.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
i consume a ton of youtube and its mostly for the audio but man, the second someone shows me something on their phone and there's an add i remember its worth every god drat penny

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't really mind GPM though it's probably just hit the threshold for me of "basically good enough".

Really, the only thing I think I'd miss (aside from ad-free Youtube without jumping through hoops, but if that were the only thing keeping me with GPM, I'd be gone now) is the ability to upload my own music.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

I've been paying for soundiiz for a few months to keep my playlists in sync between spotify and GPM so I could really evaluate the two.

The problem is that they both have things I like and that I do not like so I can't make a choice.

To really stick it to them all for not making it an easy choice I imagine I'll waffle between the two for months more the whole time paying subscription for both of them as well as the 5 bucks/month for soundiiz.

Have you tried Spotify's Discover Weekly? Only music recommendation algorithm worth subcribing, or even listening to, IMO.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Montalvo posted:

????

You should watch Cobra Kai.

Ola posted:

Have you tried Spotify's Discover Weekly? Only music recommendation algorithm worth subcribing, or even listening to, IMO.
I found it to be awful.

Oh hey thanks for recommending this this obscure band, Guns N Roses. Never heard of them before Spotify!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

docbeard posted:

I don't really mind GPM though it's probably just hit the threshold for me of "basically good enough".

Really, the only thing I think I'd miss (aside from ad-free Youtube without jumping through hoops, but if that were the only thing keeping me with GPM, I'd be gone now) is the ability to upload my own music.

That's my feelings. I'm sure there are services that are "better", but I've been using google music since before there was a subscription and inertia is a powerful force.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ola posted:

Yeah, it's fine, but I don't find it particularly better or worse than the music discovery stuff on GPM.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is there any dialer replacement / call blocker app that a) isn't going to sell all my info for money and b) doesn't sit in my notification drawer all day?

I have been getting so many spam calls to my SIM number (the one I actually give out is my Google Voice number) that I want to completely block any call that actually comes in over that instead of the Hangouts Dialer.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is there any dialer replacement / call blocker app that a) isn't going to sell all my info for money and b) doesn't sit in my notification drawer all day?

I have been getting so many spam calls to my SIM number (the one I actually give out is my Google Voice number) that I want to completely block any call that actually comes in over that instead of the Hangouts Dialer.

You can download the last version of the Google dialer that works with non-Nexus phones here:

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/googl...d-apk-download/

It has a spam filter, but I have no idea if it works. You can not block all incoming calls as far as I know, but you can block individual numbers. What may work, however, is simply installing it, setting it as the default phone app, and then disabling notifications for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taffer posted:

because GPM is Not Good

What's wrong with GPM? Seems to work well enough for me and the recommendations have been good. I've got some minor issues with it but in my usage it's been as good or better than anything else.