Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

ThndrShk2k posted:

Businesses can't grow if people don't have jobs to get money to give to businesses so they can grow and make jobs.

What, are you saying we should just give people money so they can spend it to create jobs so they can get more money to spend? That's communism and we're capitalists here buddy where people have to work to earn their luxurious living.

oh, you're just being dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

https://twitter.com/wesleynyc/status/1011665852712869889

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Ace of Baes posted:

oh, you're just being dumb
The funny part is one would hope that ideology doesn't exist.

:saddowns:

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Also the whole 'work' argument would be better suited to being discussed as an 'employment' argument.

There's plenty of work to be done, there's just no one employing anyone to do it because it's not immediately profitable, and may only profit society rather than a singular entity.

One might even ask: 'What Is To Be Done?'

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Today its medicare for all

tomorrow its social security for all

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
conflux of the terrible jebs

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

if you take seriously the idea that opposition to immigration is about 'jobs' you're a loving moron

all, all, of the rhetoric was about 'immigrant crime'

It's also so that "but what if we let them in as an effective slave class" seems like a compromise rather than the win condition everyone is striving for.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

docbeard posted:

It's also so that "but what if we let them in as an effective slave class" seems like a compromise rather than the win condition everyone is striving for.

ah that's true and i hadn't considered it in those terms

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

docbeard posted:

this is literally the neoliberal position on it as centrist Voldemort pointed out to me in a bad thread.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1012771378997682178

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Luv 2 watch cable news at my cocktail parties

Obama posted:

"If what you are doing requires no sacrifice at all, then you can do more," Obama told the tony crowd at a sweeping multi-million-dollar Beverly Hills home. "If you are one of these folks who is watching cable news at your cocktail parties with your friends and you are saying 'civilization is collapsing' and you are nervous and worried, but that is not where you are putting all your time, energy and money, then either you don't actually think civilization is collapsing ... or you are not pushing yourself hard enough and I would push harder."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/29/politics/obama-democrats-fundraiser/index.html

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Obama is a hypocrite for saying this but he isn't wrong saying it to that crowd

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ace of Baes posted:

I think it depends on your definition of open borders, if by open borders you mean an accessible immigration process that allows (almost) anyone who wants to immigrate the ability to and a demilitarized border that's good and what we've had for most of US history.

yea this is my definition but I assume open-border advocates are using the other definition.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Ace of Baes posted:

Third party Bloomberg would get less votes than 2016 Jill Stein.

I dunno about that, but it sure would be fun to see all the gently caress YOU FOR UNDERMINING OUR PRECIOUS PARTY UNITY, BERNIE types come out in support of him

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My (semi) serious position is that a world without divisions is one we should be striving for, but that the way to get there is to tackle the load-bearing injustices that are shoring up those divisions.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

docbeard posted:

My (semi) serious position is that a world without divisions is one we should be striving for, but that the way to get there is to tackle the load-bearing injustices that are shoring up those divisions.

a world without divisions in databases

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Consolidate databases, not datacenters.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

a world without divisions in databases

...also yes.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

saying more immigrant workers don't economically hurt american workers is like saying chinese workers don't hurt american workers

of course capitalists use increased labor supply to exploit their labor force further

the root of the problem here is absurd capitalist exploitation that causes workers to be worse off when there is more productivity

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
hey, who wouldn't take one of the people behind the Willie Horton ad at face value about what swing voters think
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1012764672414674945

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
TheShill.com

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

I'm for decriminalization but that's still a separate issue from open borders

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Barry Convex posted:

hey, who wouldn't take one of the people behind the Willie Horton ad at face value about what swing voters think

Bernie was more popular than Hillary among independents

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Barry Convex posted:

2016 primary results:

:thunk: :thunk: :thunk:

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

i like the part where he claims that attacking wall street is bad because everyone fantasizes about being a bond trader

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

lmao somehow the question how to pay for it only gets asked for programs that benefit poor people.

quote:

Ocasio-Cortez calls for single-payer healthcare, the abolition of ICE, and free college for all. Forget about the underlying arithmetic and how to pay for all of it – which either requires sky-high taxation or flat-out sorcery. Rather, this is a cultural manifesto, a cry for open borders, and a demand for one ginormous nausea-inducing free lunch.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Barry Convex posted:

there have been 500 articles between 2008 and now about how the swing voter is a relic of the past and doesn't exist anymore, someone should link him to one the hill published because i'm sure they have at least a couple

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

etalian posted:

lmao somehow the question how to pay for it only gets asked for programs that benefit poor people.
how are you going to afford cheaper healthcare

where are you going to get the money for that half priced medicine

*jerk off hand signals*

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Thought of Hillary today when a hispanic acquaintance said "abuela" referring to her actual grandma

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ThndrShk2k posted:

What about the fact that just because there's more workers doesn't mean there's more businesses offering work?

better start culling the poors so they don't exceed the population that our generous business overlords are willing to employ

etalian posted:

not only programs that benefit poor people

remember when the Dems tried to grill Trump on how he was going to pay for the wall, and then campaigned on how ridiculous his answer was, and then won bigly in 2016 because voters really care about "but how do we PAY for this?" concern trolling on things they want?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
:byodood:"DONALD TRUMP ISN'T ACTUALLY RICH":byodame:

:byodame:"HE'S A BIGLY FAILURE AT BUSINESS":byodood:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

there have been 500 articles between 2008 and now about how the swing voter is a relic of the past and doesn't exist anymore, someone should link him to one the hill published because i'm sure they have at least a couple

It's because pundits live in the past they get confused by candidates like Bernie and Ocasio.

It's also important to note that this upset victory was won by just 4000 votes and this result blocked Pelosi's corporate dem Crowley from keeping his position.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Thought of Hillary today when a hispanic acquaintance said "abuela" referring to her actual grandma

you have a sickness

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
It's called the democratic party

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Barry Convex posted:

I still think you can get a surprising slice of moderate GOP voters if you actually had a real alternative to Republican lite from the democrats

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Feldegast42 posted:

I still think you can get a surprising slice of moderate GOP voters if you actually had a real alternative to Republican lite from the democrats
You mean like a current establishment Democrat?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

2016 primary results:

:thunk: :thunk: :thunk:

What do the colors mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh