Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

The G-Fighter is canon, it's just whether or not the White Base had one of those or a Core Booster that is up for debate

I know it's considered canon, it's just that it's next to the Zakrello on my list of "stupid super robot leftovers that are best forgotten."

(That and the weird rainbow colors. Why that didn't stop once Zeta came around I'll never grasp.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I know it's considered canon, it's just that it's next to the Zakrello on my list of "stupid super robot leftovers that are best forgotten."

(That and the weird rainbow colors. Why that didn't stop once Zeta came around I'll never grasp.)

Those are some very wrong opinions mate, the Zakrello is amazing(love that The Origin has it be an MP unit), and Rainbow Colors are great

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Zakrello on my list of "stupid super robot leftovers that are best forgotten."

:getout:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

If the Zakrello qualifies for that list, pretty much every single Zeon mobile armor in the OYW including the Zeong probably should.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lemon-Lime posted:

You should be able to just dash cancel out of the recovery, unless they changed it?

poo poo i'll try that. I still have all the DLC to go through.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DamnGlitch posted:

The manga clarifies pretty much all of this and is basically an apology for the jankiness of the ova.

How does the manga handle Cima out of interest? In the original she's not given any context and her actions seem almost random at times, but a lot of fans hold her to be this highly tragic figure based on supplemental material, that she became a war criminal with no knowledge of what she was doing and then further betrayed by a Zeon superior who wouldn't let her join the retreat to Axis because she was a war criminal or some poo poo and people basically seem to want to paint her as never having done anything wrong. I just can't see that looking at the Mayfly of Space material though, where yea, she has PTSD and clearly wasn't happy that she had inadvertently gassed an entire colony but she still continued to fight for Zeon for the entire length of the One Year War for nearly a year after that event, her superior basically tells her he's sick of dealing with her stubbornness so she can sort her own poo poo out when she says she won't give up the Lili Marleen for amnesty and she screams "Sieg Zeon" when she thinks she's about to die at A Baoa Qu. It paints her not as some tragic character used and kicked aside by everyone, but as someone who did some things she didn't like but ultimately still supported the need to do them and who only betrayed Zeon after years living alone with no home and no support because she wanted those things. Which is understandable and sympathetic, but not tragic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's a new IBO Project of some kind coming.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I can't say anything based on that design, but I kinda want a Calamity War prequel.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I can't say anything based on that design, but I kinda want a Calamity War prequel.

I'd actually be up for that. There's enough vague details and unseen Gundam frames to make something that isn't just wink-wink-nudge-nudge "look it's how X is created/introduced" for its entire run.

You know, like Solo was. (I liked the movie well enough, but it didn't have a plot. Just a string of explanations).

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd actually be up for that. There's enough vague details and unseen Gundam frames to make something that isn't just wink-wink-nudge-nudge "look it's how X is created/introduced" for its entire run.

You know, like Solo was. (I liked the movie well enough, but it didn't have a plot. Just a string of explanations).

For stuff we didn't need, like Han's name, but not for stuff like how he got ahead of Beckett...

(I liked it too)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That buckler does make me think we might be looking at a Calamity War Barbatos.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BizarroAzrael posted:

For stuff we didn't need, like Han's name, but not for stuff like how he got ahead of Beckett...

(I liked it too)

Minor sidenote about Solo's ending; I loved that Han just plugged him in the chest at the end without hesitation. Just as a final gently caress-you to the Special Edition trilogy. That... that one was definitely just for the fans, and I'm okay with it :allears:.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The question is, who and/or what would it be about? Would it be Agnika at the forefront? Maybe pulling a mirrored Tekkadan sort of thing by being a group of horrible people who did horrible things but instead of being forgotten by history they were whitewashed by it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The question is, who and/or what would it be about? Would it be Agnika at the forefront? Maybe pulling a mirrored Tekkadan sort of thing by being a group of horrible people who did horrible things but instead of being forgotten by history they were whitewashed by it?

Based on some of my own spitballing about the series in past IBO threads; it'd be Agnika and company getting drafted, experimented on, and tormented as disposable child soldiers for the military while fighting the Hashmals... and then realizing they have big stompy robots and those puny little soldier men on the ground need to learn where they stand. Ideally underfoot if they don't obey the angry child soldier in the big stompy robot.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

^^ Hey, same thoughts! :haw:

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The story of the Calamity War we're presented by the fragmented account in IBO is humanity made AI superweapons to fight their wars, said AI superweapons went rogue and began annihilating humanity, humans began experimenting with ways to fight the evil AIs and basically abandoned all ethics to make stuff like the AV system, Agnika Kaeru took control of the resistance against the AI and wiped them out, creating Gjallarhorn in the process.

With this extremely spotty outline I could see a story about how Agnika Kaeru went from cannon fodder/guinea pig to world savior working pretty well.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Based on some of my own spitballing about the series in past IBO threads; it'd be Agnika and company getting drafted, experimented on, and tormented as disposable child soldiers for the military while fighting the Hashmals... and then realizing they have big stompy robots and those puny little soldier men on the ground need to learn where they stand. Ideally underfoot if they don't obey the angry child soldier in the big stompy robot.

I'm okay with that. But I do think it'd be nice if they disguise it a bit. Even if it's just as simple as giving the protagonist a relatively normal name and background, and have most of the 'legend' be made up later, up to and including the actual Agnika name. Just go full on mirror of Tekkadan where instead of obtaining their goals in a roundabout way but being forgotten by history, they have their legacies used to justify terrible things that they would never want, but everyone remembers them and they're venerated as heroes, albeit having been rewitten as posh nobility.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Unlike other prequels, the Calamity War happened so long before the original show they wouldn't have to have it end as a set up for IBO. And since the Calamity War was so politically important and mythologized by Gjallarhorn, they can directly contradict what was said in IBO and it would be fine. Agnika Kaeru was actually 7 people but then Gjallarhorn changed it to be a better story or the other 6 were forgotten. Stuff like that would be fine.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

According to more recent tweets, it's just a new radio drama.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

According to more recent tweets, it's just a new radio drama.

Well at least there's new Gunpla models coming from it :shepspends:.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kanos posted:

^^ Hey, same thoughts! :haw:

The story of the Calamity War we're presented by the fragmented account in IBO is humanity made AI superweapons to fight their wars, said AI superweapons went rogue and began annihilating humanity, humans began experimenting with ways to fight the evil AIs and basically abandoned all ethics to make stuff like the AV system, Agnika Kaeru took control of the resistance against the AI and wiped them out, creating Gjallarhorn in the process.

With this extremely spotty outline I could see a story about how Agnika Kaeru went from cannon fodder/guinea pig to world savior working pretty well.

I don't think there's enough evidence to suggest that the AI "went rogue". Hashmal is a very simple, straightforward machine in terms of motivation (like Tekkadan, fight, repair, procreate), so the safest assumption would be that it's working as intended when it awakens.

Given how things wound up I'd assume that the Calamity War was fought between nations who unleashed horrifying weapons on mankind (on Earth and Mars) and a third-party of teenagers with attitude step in to take them down and forcibly stop all the bickering, with the survivors eventually becoming Gjallarhorn.

The Calamity War doesn't interest me tbh. It's too far removed from the IBO setting we've seen to date.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

Agnika Kaeru was actually 7 people but then Gjallarhorn changed it to be a better story or the other 6 were forgotten. Stuff like that would be fine.

So there was 7 Agnika Kaeru and 6 other guys forming the seven stars? 13 stars considered too unlucky?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

RillAkBea posted:

a new radio drama.

Radio still exists?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

sassassin posted:

So there was 7 Agnika Kaeru and 6 other guys forming the seven stars? 13 stars considered too unlucky?

They could do whatever they want with the backstory. There could've been 9 stars but two of them got damnatio memoriaed

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sassassin posted:

Radio still exists?

Radio dramas are fairly common for games and anime in Japan, they're just sold as audio CD's. At the very least it's extra work for the voice actors and a way to pry more money out of the otaku community.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah. I keep bringing up the Gaia Gear Radio Drama from like 20 years ago because of how good it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tGYRJFh0f8

God I wish they animated it. It's already 26 episodes of around 30 minute!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

They could do whatever they want with the backstory. There could've been 9 stars but two of them got damnatio memoriaed

A twist as consequential as [insert thing that happened in Solo I haven't seen it].

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

sassassin posted:

I don't think there's enough evidence to suggest that the AI "went rogue". Hashmal is a very simple, straightforward machine in terms of motivation (like Tekkadan, fight, repair, procreate), so the safest assumption would be that it's working as intended when it awakens.

Given how things wound up I'd assume that the Calamity War was fought between nations who unleashed horrifying weapons on mankind (on Earth and Mars) and a third-party of teenagers with attitude step in to take them down and forcibly stop all the bickering, with the survivors eventually becoming Gjallarhorn.

The Calamity War doesn't interest me tbh. It's too far removed from the IBO setting we've seen to date.

I'm gonna say that even if the AI is technically fulfilling its commands to kill humans en masse, it's pretty safe to say that AI superweapons becoming such a global threat that they nearly destroy humanity as a whole qualifies as them stepping outside their original intended parameters, i.e. going rogue.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

sassassin posted:

A twist as consequential as [insert thing that happened in Solo I haven't seen it].

The benefit of that isn't twists, it's that they would have creative freedom. They can tell a story that isn't bound by the exposition from IBO.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Radio dramas are fairly common for games and anime in Japan, they're just sold as audio CD's. At the very least it's extra work for the voice actors and a way to pry more money out of the otaku community.

Podcasts and audiobooks are essentially just radio in a slightly different format anyway; the same as Youtube, Netflix and other streaming video services are just TV for contemporary technology.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah. I keep bringing up the Gaia Gear Radio Drama from like 20 years ago because of how good it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tGYRJFh0f8

God I wish they animated it. It's already 26 episodes of around 30 minute!

I don't care about animating it personally, since it's a lot of effort that'll probably give Sunrise little return but I do wish they'd dub it with a full dramatic cast and release it as an English audio book or dramatic serial. Frankly, I'd almost prefer that; since audio formats are a lot less popular and would likely have a lot less scrutiny and executive interference than an animation is probably going to be subject to.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kanos posted:

I'm gonna say that even if the AI is technically fulfilling its commands to kill humans en masse, it's pretty safe to say that AI superweapons becoming such a global threat that they nearly destroy humanity as a whole qualifies as them stepping outside their original intended parameters, i.e. going rogue.

Would nukes be "going rogue" if everyone pushed their big red buttons and the fallout led to near-extinction?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

tsob posted:

I don't care about animating it personally, since it's a lot of effort that'll probably give Sunrise little return but I do wish they'd dub it with a full dramatic cast and release it as an English audio book or dramatic serial. Frankly, I'd almost prefer that; since audio formats are a lot less popular and would likely have a lot less scrutiny and executive interference than an animation is probably going to be subject to.

Do expensive audio productions make more money than animes?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

sassassin posted:

Would nukes be "going rogue" if everyone pushed their big red buttons and the fallout led to near-extinction?

A nuclear missile is a projectile that you fire and it explodes. It's a one and done WMD with no possibility of control after deployment. An AI-controlled killer robot is a persistent deployed weapon that can change objectives and priorities when out in the field just like a person-controlled killer robot is.

If you're deploying AI robots to exterminate people(instead of, oh, say, nuking them), that implies that you intend to have the AI eventually stop exterminating people at some point. What we know about the Calamity War says that when told to stop exterminating people, the AI politely declined and humanity's only recourse was to fight them instead of turning them off.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kanos posted:

What we know about the Calamity War says that when told to stop exterminating people, the AI politely declined and humanity's only recourse was to fight them instead of turning them off.

Do we know this?

They could easily have been a last-resort weapon for some bad losers. Or the Martians sent some to Earth and Earth sent some to Mars with no plans for them to stop.

Hashmal in the show is linked thematically to both Tekkadan and the continuing armament of the Earth blocs. Having them be a weapon gone wrong makes less sense to the narrative than them being a weapon gone right (war is bad cool robot bird).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

sassassin posted:

Do we know this?

They could easily have been a last-resort weapon for some bad losers. Or the Martians sent some to Earth and Earth sent some to Mars with no plans for them to stop.

Hashmal in the show is linked thematically to both Tekkadan and the continuing armament of the Earth blocs. Having them be a weapon gone wrong makes less sense to the narrative than them being a weapon gone right (war is bad cool robot bird).

I don't really mentally equate "hyper-advanced self-replicating autonomous mechanized weapons" with "last resort annihilation weapon being deployed by a government on the verge of collapse", especially since if you're just interested in screaming "gently caress you" at your opponent and ruining all of their poo poo out of spite, you could just, you know, nuke them. It would make a whole lot more sense for weapons like the Hashmal to exist if they were intended to safely clear territory and then be turned off so the victors could actually use that territory, like the Bugs from F91.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

I don't really mentally equate "hyper-advanced self-replicating autonomous mechanized weapons" with "last resort annihilation weapon being deployed by a government on the verge of collapse", especially since if you're just interested in screaming "gently caress you" at your opponent and ruining all of their poo poo out of spite, you could just, you know, nuke them. It would make a whole lot more sense for weapons like the Hashmal to exist if they were intended to safely clear territory and then be turned off so the victors could actually use that territory, like the Bugs from F91.

The thing is that Mobile Armours make perfect, long-lasting guerrilla warriors, and have a built-in scorched earth effect thanks to their Plumas. They’ll let your memory live on as a symbol of terror in a way nukes won’t - even three hundred years later, the solar system is still making GBS threads itself at the idea of an MA being reactivated.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kanos posted:

The central conceit of Gundam is that big robots are an effective weapon of war. Let's not bring tactical realism into it.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Darth Walrus posted:

The thing is that Mobile Armours make perfect, long-lasting guerrilla warriors, and have a built-in scorched earth effect thanks to their Plumas. They’ll let your memory live on as a symbol of terror in a way nukes won’t - even three hundred years later, the solar system is still making GBS threads itself at the idea of an MA being reactivated.

Yeah but you still wanna probably turn em off someday because It's Free Real Estate

That does imply someone tried to turn them off and couldn't

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

I'd say that turning your enemy's entire nation or planet into a scorched, irradiated wasteland would accomplish the same propaganda result pretty effectively and for a lot less outlay.

sassassin posted:

The central conceit of Gundam is that big robots are an effective weapon of war. Let's not bring tactical realism into it.

This handwave doesn't really work in IBO because IBO spends a fair amount of time pissing on this trope. The ancient legendary mobile suit turns out to be a piece of crap that no one cares about and the unstoppable protagonist is beaten by somebody sighing heavily and blowing it up with low-yield WMDs from orbit instead of defeating it in a climactic duel between aces. There's a fair amount of tactical realism in IBO, giant robots or no.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 29, 2018

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
They should make a Calamity War series now because I want this all cleared up.

Joe Baudin and Paul Issue save the world from killer robots (with chubby comic relief sidekick Agnika Kaeru).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Heck even if I was a supergenius guerilla building a mobile Dead Hand I'd probably use my huge brain to build in an Off switch for my friends just in case my weapon successfully destroys my enemies