Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Some people wear them as necklaces or put little dishes at the sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

legendof posted:

What do you all do with your rings when it's not practical to wear them? (I'm thinking of the kitchen and in the workshop in our garage.) I'm considering just sticking a couple of command hooks up.

My aunts sent my fiancee a crystal glass "ring holder" as an engagement gift which she initially thought was a butt plug.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Mortabis posted:

My aunts sent my fiancee a crystal glass "ring holder" as an engagement gift which she initially thought was a butt plug.

In this version of the story, I choose to believe that the aunt accidentally thought it was a ring holder when trying to buy a butt plug for your fiancee.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Our venue (artsy nonprofit) has lodging on site and it is convenient as hell. I've always really appreciated it when ceremony>reception>hotel was walkable. We have a ton of out-of-towners coming though and it's pretty rural, so wanted to make things easy for our guests. I was pumped that our final guest count resulted in four perfect tables of twenty (plus one head table) and about to order our seating chart, then two of my fiancé's friends that had RSVPed months ago re-RSVPed after the deadline to say they couldn't come (for not a great reason, they should have just not RSVPed in the first place). I scrambled and found a couple plus ones we could give to bring the number back up. Meanwhile, the new wedding coordinator is not great at responding to emails and I can't pay the florist until I know our table plan is ok! 39 days to go!!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Two people taking back their RSVP isn’t bad at all, and even if their reason isn’t great it’s nice that they told you. We had a ton of people who said they were coming just not show up at all, and we had included them in the count for catering and tables. Apparently this is common.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Koivunen posted:

Two people taking back their RSVP isn’t bad at all, and even if their reason isn’t great it’s nice that they told you. We had a ton of people who said they were coming just not show up at all, and we had included them in the count for catering and tables. Apparently this is common.

It definitely is.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I've always wondered...do people who do that do so due to just forgetting, or being anti-confrontational and thinking "telling them is worse than just not going", spite, what?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The answer is there's a good number of people that are dumb and/or inconsiderate.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

couldcareless posted:

The answer is there's a good number of people that are dumb and/or inconsiderate.

Well, those fit in the first category, yeah. I'm just wondering if that's all of it or if there are people who actively think no-showing is better than last minute canceling.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
One of my fiancé's cousins told us she and her husband couldn't make it, because it's harvest time for her and she'll be in Colorado (she splits her time between there and Florida, our wedding is in New York). She also said that maybe she could come if we had a no-show, because "that always happens". I don't really know what her plan is for this? If there's a no show she will still be at least one plane flight and several hours away, so.......

anyway! last RSVP is in! for real this time (I hope and pray)

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

silvergoose posted:

I've always wondered...do people who do that do so due to just forgetting, or being anti-confrontational and thinking "telling them is worse than just not going", spite, what?

I’ve always wondered that too. Our only no shows was a single couple and it’s because he broke his ankle the day before and they spent the entire night in the emergency room. And even they told us the night before the wedding that they wouldn’t make it. But we also had a small wedding with only close friends and family invited (70 people) so I would have just asked anyone who didn’t show up why they were being an rear end in a top hat. I realize that’s not always an option for everyone.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Koivunen posted:

Out of about 200 invites I think i had 5-10 RSVPs that never came back that I just assumed were no's.
Out of about 180 final guests we had 1 no show.

I think I had a few spare seats at one of the tables on the off chance someone brought a +1 or one of the no-responses decided to show (that weren't counted for the caterer).

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Our RSVP date is tomorrow and we're still missing 25% of all responses lmao.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Destination wedding is slightly over 4 months away, I'm feeling fine, fiancee is freaking the gently caress out; had to talk her off the ledge yesterday because she broke the gently caress down.

She does not deal with stress well at all.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We're 3 weeks and 2 days away and...it just hasn't sunk in yet. Doesn't feel real yet, ya know?

And yet, a week from now we're going to start finalizing with the vendors.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

MF_James posted:

Destination wedding is slightly over 4 months away, I'm feeling fine, fiancee is freaking the gently caress out; had to talk her off the ledge yesterday because she broke the gently caress down.

She does not deal with stress well at all.

Poor gal :( it can be very stressful

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Is there some sort of drop down pricing calculator for diamonds? Like I want to pick a 2.00 carat, I color, S2 inclusions, ideal cut and find out what the "list price" is, then do the drop down and change it from I color to H color (slightly more white) and see how much the price goes up. Then drop it to 1.99, 1.85 carat etc and see where the price goes. GIA diamonds all seem to be price the same at retail as near as I can tell.

Girlfriend seems to be most concerned about it not being yellow and being big, sparkly third, inclusions last.

Found it:

https://www.diamondscreener.com/diamond-prices/

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Hadlock posted:

Found it:

What are you trying to do? There is a lot of information that GIA reports don't communicate so raw price data isn't that useful because you can't ensure the product comparisons are accurate.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

JohnnyRnR posted:

What are you trying to do? There is a lot of information that GIA reports don't communicate so raw price data isn't that useful because you can't ensure the product comparisons are accurate.

I already played the "eye clean or not?" game on blue Nile and James Allen

Seems like if you follow those graphs there are distinct vertical lines at various carat sizes. It's a cool tool to be like, "+/- $3000 what does a non VVS, less than G 2.0 carat diamond cost?

There's a billion articles about buying a 1.0 carat diamond but once you venture outside that realm advice drops off quickly. Very cool to see how he market is organized.

And yeah GIA reports are just this side of not being completely useless, no argument there. Big fan of ideal scope and ags scopes etc etc. Already wrapped up my purchasing hunt thankfully, more or less on budget.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Hadlock posted:

I already played the "eye clean or not?" game on blue Nile and James Allen

Seems like if you follow those graphs there are distinct vertical lines at various carat sizes. It's a cool tool to be like, "+/- $3000 what does a non VVS, less than G 2.0 carat diamond cost?

OK, it seems a little odd. From a professional standpoint their recommendations are all across the board. But if it was useful then that's great.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I’d like to walk down the aisle to Cat Power “Sea of Love”. Any suggestions on something the rest of the wedding party can walk to that might go well with that song?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

You're going for a cat theme, right? Just choose something from the musical. ;)

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

silvergoose posted:

You're going for a cat theme, right? Just choose something from the musical. ;)

Good call!

I actually think we might go with “Sweet Thing” by Van Morrison

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I'm trying to get my fiance to walk down the isle to the Lion King's Circle of Life, and I want to do the cake cutting to Weird Al's Eat It.

Why does she hate fun so much :(

e: her dad thinks we should do our first dance to Hakuna Matata so at least one person in that family has good ideas :colbert:

Renegret fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 27, 2018

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Renegret posted:

I'm trying to get my fiance to walk down the isle to the Lion King's Circle of Life, and I want to do the cake cutting to Weird Al's Eat It.

e: her dad thinks we should do our first dance to Hakuna Matata so at least one person in that family has good ideas :colbert:

Go for Baba Yetu, it's the lord's prayer!

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

That all sounds really fun

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

My dad and I are trying desperately to convince my fiancé to do the dance JCVD does in Kickboxer at our wedding. He keeps saying no, but I hope he surprises me with it at the wedding.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Renegret posted:

you’re paying for This?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Half. Her dad's doing the other half.

She has scary angry fiance veto powers though.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Renegret posted:

She has scary angry fiance veto powers though.

Good

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
This sounds like an excellent time to learn to let your fiance make most of the decisions in your relationship.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Renegret posted:

Holy moly, Renegret friend! I didn't realize you were engaged! (To the person I remember you dating? E: I just checked and yes it's the person I remember! Congratulations! Mazel tov! May you have a wonderful home together full of love and support and laughter! I'm so happy for you two.

:h:

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 27, 2018

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Well I did it y'all, I bought the metal circle with a rock in it. Rock is murder-free, thanks Brilliant Earth for keeping my conscience clean!!!

Starting to think about how to pawp the question; tell me your sweet saccharine stories of proposals to give me ideas!!!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

black.lion posted:

Well I did it y'all, I bought the metal circle with a rock in it. Rock is murder-free, thanks Brilliant Earth for keeping my conscience clean!!!

Starting to think about how to pawp the question; tell me your sweet saccharine stories of proposals to give me ideas!!!

I did it Christmas morning, my fiancee and I live together, but we've never done stocking stuffing, so I stuffed the ring in there and did a thing; it was less awesome than I had imagined but she liked it and said yes, so yay?

Just find somewhere not near a dumpster and say something not goony; it'll work, trust me.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

How long out did you all have your bachelorette/bachelor party date given to you? My bachelorette is supposed to be some time in September but my maid of honor hasn’t even picked a day yet. I can’t tell if I’m being overly anxious about not having the date yet.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is a lot of the bridezilla thing because the girl wants to reach X weight by the wedding, then three weeks before the wedding realizes she's 15 lbs overweight and goes on a crash diet, starving herself, and is hangry all the time around everyone?

Asking for a friend

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
A lot of the bridezilla thing is telling women they have to have the picture perfect wedding and then shaming them when they get neurotic about it. If you can fit your dress, you're doing fine. If you can't fit your dress, buy spanx.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I think bridezilla happens when someone puts a lot of pressure on themselves to have The Perfect Wedding. Planning a wedding can consume your life, and some people have a million expectations for how things should be. When something doesn’t meet or live up to an expectation, the zilla comes out. If a bride is starving herself on top of allowing stress to consume her, she’s going to get really unpleasant.

Someone I know was a bridesmaid in her then-best friend’s wedding. Their friendship ended because the bride was so awful to everyone. There were tears and yelling among everyone. The bride was also on a crash diet. Circumstantial?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The problem I got with bridezillas is that there's no chance the wedding will actually hold up to their standards because they've got themselves worked up so much. Like, it's just a bigass party, just have fun. The big thing to me is, the kind of person it takes to be a control freak to that extreme, is that really somebody you want to be married to? Imagine what's going to happen when you have a baby, or buy a house, or gets told no by staff at a grocery store.

I've learned that there is a middle ground though. You do have to be a bit of a dick to a lot of people to keep them in line, if not you can get in a too many cooks kind of situation. That's can come off as being a bridezilla but really you're just manipulating people to shut the gently caress up. We started off the wedding planning trying to be nice and accommodating to everyone. Now we're 10 days out and we're becoming real good at different ways of telling people "no". We'd still be looking for bridesmaids dresses if my fiance didn't put her foot down and tell her ladies "too bad".

In other news, we're kind of under our minimum by one person (loving last minute cancellation) and our our final head count is due today...anybody wanna come to a nice party?

Renegret fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Invalid Octopus posted:

A lot of the bridezilla thing is telling women they have to have the picture perfect wedding and then shaming them when they get neurotic about it. If you can fit your dress, you're doing fine. If you can't fit your dress, buy spanx.

This. It is supposed to be "the best day of your life" so a lot of expectations build up. Personally I'm more excited for everything after the wedding itself.

Now, on to my question. In my country it is customary to hold a waltz for the bride and groom, then for the bride and her father, one for the groom and his mother and finally one for everyone at the party. I already have a song for me and the bride but I need to pick one for my mom and I and one for everyone. Can anybody recommend some songs? I want something classic-ish but not cliche (neither something too modern nor something like "Fly me to the moon").