Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I'm excited to play Assylvania on the Nintendo Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s amazing and I can’t believe it looks as good as it does. Get it.

Ooooh.

nachos posted:

When is dark souls coming out damnit

Seriously.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Risky posted:

Just got a switch and it has a drat dead pixel :(

Exchange it for another one.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I live in the South and that's a bit misleading. It's not that we call all soda coke. We just literally only ever order or buy Coca-Cola. Probably has to do with the Coca-Cola HQ being in my home state in Atlanta, Georgia.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Here's a new complaint: In the past couple weeks I bought Fe and Crash. Both are single-player games with no multiplayer component to my knowledge. Not even leaderboards. Yet both games make you agree to an EULA, and if you don't, you can't play the game. I think DOOM also has an EULA, but that game at least has a multiplayer component.

I'm sure this has been a PC thing forever, but it's annoying. If I'm paying retail price for a game then I should be able to use it in a non-online capacity without having to agree to anything.

I mean, I don't really have a problem blindly clicking through them like everyone else. But I don't like the idea of this becoming normal and pervasive. To the extent that Nintendo has any consumer friendly policies (no, they're not your friend) this is one thing I with they'd push back on.

This is a weird thing to get mad about in TYOOL 2018

Are you Richard Stallman

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I was curious about the darker blue region around Boston/North Shore MA and from looking at the “other” data, I discovered that it used to be called “tonic” (well, more likely “tawnik”) in the region. I thought I knew all the doofy Boston stuff.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

nachos posted:

When is dark souls coming out damnit

Summer 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Here's a new complaint: In the past couple weeks I bought Fe and Crash. Both are single-player games with no multiplayer component to my knowledge. Not even leaderboards. Yet both games make you agree to an EULA, and if you don't, you can't play the game. I think DOOM also has an EULA, but that game at least has a multiplayer component.

I'm sure this has been a PC thing forever, but it's annoying. If I'm paying retail price for a game then I should be able to use it in a non-online capacity without having to agree to anything.

I mean, I don't really have a problem blindly clicking through them like everyone else. But I don't like the idea of this becoming normal and pervasive. To the extent that Nintendo has any consumer friendly policies (no, they're not your friend) this is one thing I with they'd push back on.

EULAs aren’t used for just multiplayer stuff, it’s an overall agreement that covers anything from agreeing to not share copies of the game, modify the game, heck they probably usually even cover stuff like public broadcast. They are almost never used to sue people, but if someone, say, got in trouble for creating a custom level of Doom where you go through the White House to shoot the president, Bethesda would just point at the EULA and say that the user was using the game in a way they agreed not to so they don’t get dragged into the mess.

You’re not wrong, EULAs are dumb and don’t have any real legal standing, but they aren’t just about multiplayer stuff.

I’m also fairly certain that most PC games have EULAs, I’m not sure why they’re not as common on console games—I think you agree to a blanket one when you first turn on and sign in to the console, but I can’t remember. Sony makes you agree to one with pretty much every system update, I think, and Apple does one with pretty much every major iOS/Mac OS update.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

This is a weird thing to get mad about in TYOOL 2018

Are you Richard Stallman

EULAs are pretty lovely if you actually read them. the one for Fe states that by agreeing you are forfeiting your right to participate in a class action lawsuit against EA

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Looper posted:

EULAs are pretty lovely if you actually read them. the one for Fe states that by agreeing you are forfeiting your right to participate in a class action lawsuit against EA

This can't at all be enforceable, like that one company who tried to write its EULA to disallow you from refunding it on steam.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Arbitration clauses are completely enforceable and are in just about every EULA and contract you sign these days. Our government sucks lol

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

homeless snail posted:

Arbitration clauses are completely enforceable and are in just about every EULA and contract you sign these days. Our government sucks lol

Captain Todd: Tort Reform Tracker

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Looper posted:

Pretty sure that's standard of all EULA. No wonder the British voted against being part of any EULAs.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I live in the South and that's a bit misleading. It's not that we call all soda coke. We just literally only ever order or buy Coca-Cola. Probably has to do with the Coca-Cola HQ being in my home state in Atlanta, Georgia.

I've heard of people calling all sodas Cole before, but never actually heard it irl, it sounds like one of those things that was more common 20-30 years ago

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I’m fairly certain that EULAs for video games have yet to be used in court and if they did a judge would probably throw it out, especially if it was over something as obviously anti-consumer and illegal as not being able to be part of a class-action suit.

EULAs have been used in legal battles before but as common sense stuff, like Apple using it as part of their suit against a company that was selling hackintoshes, citing that their license agreement specifically stated that OS X was not to be modified or installed on non-Apple computers. But they’ve never gone after hobbiest Hackintoshers or websites that feature tutorials and software that assist with installing OS X on non-Apple hardware. They could—and they’d probably win—but it’s not worth the ensuing publicity shitstorm and legal fees to do it.

But if someone walked into a Apple store with a Hackintosh looking for support they’d turn them away and probably cite the EULA as the reason why.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Raserys posted:

I've heard of people calling all sodas Cole before, but never actually heard it irl, it sounds like one of those things that was more common 20-30 years ago
Every time I see one of those maps I think it's a little misleading. I guess we do use it differently but it's not a 1:1 synonym like "pop", no one would say "orange coke" or "grape coke".

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Every time I see one of those maps I think it's a little misleading. I guess we do use it differently but it's not a 1:1 synonym like "pop", no one would say "orange coke" or "grape coke".

I think it’s probably more like, “I’d like a coke with my burger” “oh what kind would you like?” “orange” and then the drive through guy would hand you a Sunkist.

[Edit: when I worked at a restaurant I had exactly one person ask “what kinds of coke do you have” and then got annoyed when I said “regular and diet”, but I’m in the northeast]

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I dunno. I never been to the South but I do recall someond on these forums posting that they asked for a Coke at a Southern diner and was asked "what kind?" Like it was a normal thing.

Protip: Ask for an Orange Coke at Sonic. It's pretty good!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pepsi is just an off brand Coke

Risky
May 18, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

Exchange it for another one.

Amazon sending another one tomorrow :)

Anyone know if Octopath Traveler Wayward edition is going to be available July 13 or is it so limited that it won't be available online?

I want to pre-order the regular edition but if I can find the special edition at a B&M on release day even better.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

That's not really been a thing anywhere I go. If I order a coke people have the sense to know you mean a Coca-Cola. Maybe it's more a thing in the backwoods places or something? :shrug:

What I can tell you is that if you try to order Pepsi down here you will be fiercely judged and given incredibly dirty looks.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Risky posted:

Anyone know if Octopath Traveler Wayward edition is going to be available July 13 or is it so limited that it won't be available online?

I want to pre-order the regular edition but if I can find the special edition at a B&M on release day even better.
I think showing up at retail places or calling around would be your best bet at this point. I'm debating on getting the special edition but might end up getting the regular version off Amazon since I get a prime discount.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Risky posted:

I always see extra limited editions at Fry's Electronics. Give them a shot. They seem to be better about these kinds of things than other places.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

lelandjs posted:

I’m fairly certain that EULAs for video games have yet to be used in court and if they did a judge would probably throw it out, especially if it was over something as obviously anti-consumer and illegal as not being able to be part of a class-action suit.

oh you sweet summer child

hollow knight is too incredible, my gf stole my switch even though she has her own because she doesn't want to buy it again. i got other games to play!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

lelandjs posted:

"Can prohibit you from joining a class-action" is literally a thing that the right wing majority SCOTUS has recently ruled in favor of.

Countries that aren't being dragged back to the Gilded Age by a party of robber barons and a sentient sunburn covered in tanning oil might have good consumer protections, but the US sure as poo poo doesn't and what we do have is rapidly being undone.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

parasyte posted:

oh you sweet summer child

Evil Fluffy posted:

"Can prohibit you from joining a class-action" is literally a thing that the right wing majority SCOTUS has recently ruled in favor of.

Countries that aren't being dragged back to the Gilded Age by a party of robber barons and a sentient sunburn covered in tanning oil might have good consumer protections, but the US sure as poo poo doesn't and what we do have is rapidly being undone.

can i please if only for just a few brief, precious moments pretend that we are not living in the darkest timeline

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
im in south carolina and nobody thinks youre being generic if u say u want a coke. if u get pissed off when u get a coke after ordering a coke, u are a retard

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this subject is annoying because its always a bunch of northerners imagining a situation where one guy says “ill have a coke” and the server says “what kind,” an exchange that has never happened in history. restaurants always only have three kinds of brown cola: coke, root beer, and pibb. as is the norm in restaurants worldwide, u get what u order

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
hollow knight rules

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

scary ghost dog posted:

this subject is annoying because its always a bunch of northerners imagining a situation where one guy says “ill have a coke” and the server says “what kind,” an exchange that has never happened in history. restaurants always only have three kinds of brown cola: coke, root beer, and pibb. as is the norm in restaurants worldwide, u get what u order

I guess I just don't understand how people outside Texas order carbonated beverages. I want a coke, I ask for a coke. Do people in california just ask for a soda and then receive any kind of soda? Is this a common exchange in Minnesota: "What do you want to drink?" "A pop, please. One Pepsi-style pop"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Generally they say "what do you want to drink" and you reply "large soda" and they give you a large, empty cup for you to fill up at the soda machine. At fancy places where someone else fills your cup we are smart enough to state the type of soda we would like to consume.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

In two weeks Hallow Knight has sold 250,000 copies compared to the 1.1 million it reached on Steam in one year so it’s on track to do very, very good Switch wise. It’s gonna reach Shovel Knight levels. Basically what I’m saying is Hallow Knight amiibo when?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The cowards changed the boxart

previously announced

new version

WTF? Psyvariar? This looks awful.

The font isn't the only problem the name is godawful

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's more readable without the mixed up colors

WTF? Psyvariar? This looks... kinda cool actually.

seriously that box art is so much better

Manga art on bottom, Tublr art on top

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
dark souls?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

lelandjs posted:

I’m fairly certain that EULAs for video games have yet to be used in court and if they did a judge would probably throw it out

You really shouldn't depend upon that though. These days our law system is "who has the most expensive lawyer wins"

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dr. VooDoo posted:

In two weeks Hallow Knight has sold 250,000 copies compared to the 1.1 million it reached on Steam in one year so it’s on track to do very, very good Switch wise. It’s gonna reach Shovel Knight levels. Basically what I’m saying is Hallow Knight amiibo when?

Hollow Knight in Smash asap I don’t give a poot about Ridley.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Maybe one day the Nintendo Switch thread on the SA comedy forums will solve the mysteries of buying physical/digital only and demystify demographic usage of soda/pop/coke.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
what about solaire in smash, from dark souls, which is coming out on the switch, or so ive heard

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hollow Knight in Smash asap I don’t give a poot about Ridley.

If this ever happened I'd hope Hollow Knight would be the size of one of the Pikmin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Pepsi is just an off brand Coke

its true

• Locked thread