Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

nm posted:

Can you buy a 17 instead? Second year has more gremlins worked out, generally.

I might. I was focused on the 16 since the 17 is 5 grand or so more...

I'll have to think about it.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

CR said that infotainment was why the CX-9's reliability scores tanked. Even with that in mind, their advice was "well, if you like the car enough, go for it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" FWIW C&D noted infotainment problems with their long-term 2016 CX-9 as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8YVRMm-nSQ&t=375s

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Godzilla07 posted:

CR said that infotainment was why the CX-9's reliability scores tanked. Even with that in mind, their advice was "well, if you like the car enough, go for it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" FWIW C&D noted infotainment problems with their long-term 2016 CX-9 as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8YVRMm-nSQ&t=375s

Oh dang, that's some good info.

I lean towards the opinion of the guy on the left in that video, but thats just because I like the vehicle so much. Then I'll have infotainment problems and kick myself for talking myself into buying the thing...

Maybe I'll stretch my budget for a 2017.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
CR might also be taking owner satisfaction surveys into account—I remember the Cx-9 scoring low in some would you buy another one question. Infotainment woes seem like the kinda thing that could be annoying enough day to day to give an otherwise good car knocks in that area. And while I don’t know about the cx9 specifically but it’s usually a huge pain to replace with aftermarket on new cars so you’re stuck with it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

powderific posted:

CR might also be taking owner satisfaction surveys into account

I don't know how their methodology works exactly, but the guy from CR specifically says its the infotainment problems in that video.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Purely anecdotal, but I've had two mazdas with the new infotainment and have had no issues. I wonder what exactly was wrong?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Purely anecdotal, but I've had two mazdas with the new infotainment and have had no issues. I wonder what exactly was wrong?

If you are used to iPhones, the Mazda interface is a little slow. It is also a little slow to start up and connect to my phone when I start my car. It drops calls a lot, although maybe that is an issue with T-Mobile in my area . . .

The comment is puzzling though. The Mazda interface is still much better than a lot of other cars I’ve rented though. The BMW twisty knob they have to navigate the menus is a million times better than the purely touchscreen systems I’ve used in Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, Hyundai, and Chevrolet compact cars. It also is better designed than the Lexus infotainment system I’ve used in a family member’s new RX SUV, IMO, although maybe I just say that because I’m more familiar with the one in my Mazda3.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it’s cx9 specific? They don’t mention issues with other models that I remember other than that it takes a minute to learn the system. I think cx9’s were having issues with the system locking up, rebooting, just being a blank screen, etc, which I’ve never encountered in our 3. Maybe they have a fix out by now.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mazda Australia just announced that Android Auto and Apple Carplay is coming this year to all 2014+ Mazdas with Connect infotainment system as a dealer-installed upgrade, so that gives me hope that some firmware upgrades will come to whatever CX-9 I go with.

I think I'm just going to not worry about it...

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it
So, I had a 2010 Toyota RAV4 Sport that I was pretty happy with, despite its soccer mom-ness, until it was totaled in a rear-end collision about 3 weeks ago. Help me buy a car guys!

Proposed Budget: I'll be getting about $12k from my insurance company and can probably kick in another 1-2k on my own for a down payment. Don't really want to finance >50% of the car's value so my budget is realistically $25k or so.
New or Used: Used; ideally, CPO.
Body Style: SUV/Crossover (even though I secretly lust for a truck)
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver; 30m commute each way. I live in Denver so I also want good AWD for snow, rain, unpaved roads.
What aspects are most important to you?
In order:

Reliability
Decent AWD train
Good clearance
Good resale value
Good gas mileage
Reasonably powerful engine w/ good acceleration (I live in CO and need all the help I can get when I get into the Vail pass on I70, etc)
Reasonably new condition (<50k miles)

Looking primarily at CPO Toyota, Honda, and Subaru crossovers/SUVs. Particularly Foresters, RAV4s, CRVS. Any other models/years/etc I should look at in particular? any makes/models outside of these 3 that I should consider?

I know the CRV was redesigned for 2017 but so far the used prices in my area don't seem to really reflect that. They seem to sell roughly at the same price as equivalent RAV4s. CPO Foresters seem really reasonably priced around here too - any reason not to look at those?

I also found a couple XTerras with low mileage on them (2014, 2008 with 40k and 15k respectively). Is it worth looking at those?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Most of the modern compact suvs meet your requirements to varying degrees.

Look at the Mazda CX-5...that's the favorite of most "car people" in that class.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Thermopyle posted:

Most of the modern compact suvs meet your requirements to varying degrees.

Look at the Mazda CX-5...that's the favorite of most "car people" in that class.

Any particular reason they like the CX-5? I'm definitely open minded; just want to maximize my value. This is only the second car I've ever bought (first was the one that got totaled) and I'm not swimming in cash, so any advice/input to help me get the most bang for my buck is appreciated.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Any particular reason they like the CX-5? I'm definitely open minded; just want to maximize my value. This is only the second car I've ever bought (first was the one that got totaled) and I'm not swimming in cash, so any advice/input to help me get the most bang for my buck is appreciated.

The "bang" is at least partly subjective, so you're going to have to drive a few and see what you like.

Honda, Subaru, Toyota, and Mazda all make good cars that fit what you're looking for. No one here can tell which one is the absolute best. That's up to you.

Find one you like and enjoy it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Kommienzuspadt posted:

It drives sporty for a compact suv and probably has the highest quality interior out of any of the others in its class.

Like mentioned, generally the differentiating factors in the class currently are subjective things.

The CR-V probably has a higher resale value, but if you're buying used someone else has eaten a large part of the depreciation anyway.

Just drive them and get what you like.

If I was buying with that budget I'd get a 2016 CX-5 Grand Touring.

I will say my in-laws 2016 Ford Escape has been nothing but trouble for them, but that could just be a fluke that could happen with any manufacturer.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone have opinions on a FA5 vs EP3 Civic Si as a daily driver?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

So, I had a 2010 Toyota RAV4 Sport that I was pretty happy with, despite its soccer mom-ness, until it was totaled in a rear-end collision about 3 weeks ago. Help me buy a car guys!

So: Did you like your 2010 RAV4? You should be able to find a RAV4 in identical condition with the money that your insurance company gives you. If you can't, then then need to give you more money. Why not just replace it with the same thing if you're after cost efficiency?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BlackMK4 posted:

I have not driven the FA5, but the EP3 is not real fast. It has a bit more of that late-90s Honda feel, but supposedly the FA5 is better other than the weird dash and the fact that it isn't available as hatch. Part of the fun of a quick Honda is VTEC KICKIN IN YO and that most assuredly does not happen on the EP3.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Twerk from Home posted:

So: Did you like your 2010 RAV4? You should be able to find a RAV4 in identical condition with the money that your insurance company gives you. If you can't, then then need to give you more money. Why not just replace it with the same thing if you're after cost efficiency?

Largely because I want a CPO vehicle and it's harder to find older CPOs. I also want something with lower mileage in order to maximize the amount of time between this car purchase and the next. hoping it lasts close to a decade.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Nitrox posted:

4WD and towing capacity have nothing to do with each other.

I'd love to hear more about this as I'm getting conflicting information about this. I'm going to soon be in the market for a truck (likely f150) to pull a to-be-purchased travel trailer (total weight 6-9k?) for camping mostly in the midwest with my family. I will not be intentionally doing anything off-road but can imagine that I'd occasionally be faced with muddy / uneven terrain with the parks that we'll visit. RV forums are pretty evenly split between not needing 4x4 or it's one of those things that when you need it you're super happy you'll have it. I do want to avoid having my vacation be poo poo because I got stuck and didn't have it where it would've made a difference.

The reduced towing capacity isn't an issue but would love to eliminate a reduced cost.

Also, it'll be my wife daily driver so it'd be nice to have the 4x4 for Michigan winters, if she'd be assed to engage it.

Appreciate any goon thoughts on this issue or to open for discussion. Trying to strike the right balance between being properly prepared and not giving into fear and paying thousands more for a truck because of it.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Hi I have a question about rust! How much is too much? I'm looking into getting a smaller used pickup truck for a daily commuter and to haul music and sports equipment around, and would like to get maybe 4-5 years/75-100k miles out of it without having to spend a lot. I've been primarily looking at the Ford ranger and Mazda b-series offerings near me. I found a private seller who's looking for 3k for a 2001 b-series 4wd with ~110k miles, but there's some rust above and behind the wheel wells. Obviously I would take this to my mechanic for a ppi, but I haven't found a lot regarding what I should be looking for specifically with rust, other than that surface rust is ok and can be fixed but frame rust is very bad.

Just looking for some basic info on what to look for re: rust, and if this era of b-series is known for rust issues.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have not driven the FA5, but the EP3 is not real fast. It has a bit more of that late-90s Honda feel, but supposedly the FA5 is better other than the weird dash and the fact that it isn't available as hatch. Part of the fun of a quick Honda is VTEC KICKIN IN YO and that most assuredly does not happen on the EP3.

I'm going to drive a FA5 later today, I was originally looking for an EP3 but it seems like finding a clean one below what I am willing to pay versus a FA5 is pretty difficult. I still haven't found one to drive. (4k for an EP3, 5.5k for a FA5)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 3, 2018

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Hey folks. Looking for advice on a new car. Have done some initial investigations but wouldn't mind some feedback on my thinking.

Current vehicle is a 2001 Toyota Corolla with 130,000 miles. Fairly dependable, but its interior/exterior has started to fall apart and I've started putting money away for something new the next time the Corolla requires a major expenditure. My heart dreams of something a little more exciting/comfy to drive, and one where I don't have to plug my iPhone into the cassette tape deck converter.

Proposed Budget: $20,000 range.
New or Used: Either.
Body Style: 4 door, compact/midsize
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver (30m-1h commute). Road trips. Occasionally used to transport gardening supplies.
What aspects are most important to you?: Fuel efficiency, reliability, and safety. I've appreciated what a tank the corolla has been. After that, some zippiness and room for a 6'3 driver.

Based on my cursory investigations, I'm seeing a lot of recommendations for Mazda 3, Honda Civic, and VW Golf. Was curious about a more modern Toyota Corolla, but they haven't shown up in the recommendations I've been seeing.

Here's my thinking ~
Mazda 3 - Solid and economical. Kinda zippy. Mid reliable.
Honda Civic - More reliable and safe than the Mazda 3. Bit more pricy. Kinda ugly.
VR Golf - Sounds like a fun car. Has some reliability issues? Longer warranty though.
Toyota Corolla - Unsexy but gets the job done. Quite reliable. Not much fun.

There are quite a few Mazda, Honda, and Toyota dealerships near me, so I was going to check those out. Any pitfalls/years/thoughts to be mindful of?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

TraderStav posted:

Appreciate any goon thoughts on this issue or to open for discussion. Trying to strike the right balance between being properly prepared and not giving into fear and paying thousands more for a truck because of it.

Having pulled trailers in every capacity from an old IH Scout/popup tent trailer combo to a Freightliner/53’ dry-van, my opinion is this: when you’re talking about a 9000lb travel trailer pulled with a pickup, it’s pretty easy to get in a position where you’re on a slight downgrade in gravel/loose soil and the little bit of traction that one* rear tire has won’t be able to back you out of it. 4wd is a Godsend in this type of situation.

*if this confuses you, I’ll explain what open differentials are and why factory limited slips generally are pretty wimpy

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

JnnyThndrs posted:

Having pulled trailers in every capacity from an old IH Scout/popup tent trailer combo to a Freightliner/53’ dry-van, my opinion is this: when you’re talking about a 9000lb travel trailer pulled with a pickup, it’s pretty easy to get in a position where you’re on a slight downgrade in gravel/loose soil and the little bit of traction that one* rear tire has won’t be able to back you out of it. 4wd is a Godsend in this type of situation.

*if this confuses you, I’ll explain what open differentials are and why factory limited slips generally are pretty wimpy

I too have pulled many types of trailers with many types of vehicles...

And I agree with you.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Seluin posted:

Hey folks. Looking for advice on a new car. Have done some initial investigations but wouldn't mind some feedback on my thinking.

Current vehicle is a 2001 Toyota Corolla with 130,000 miles. Fairly dependable, but its interior/exterior has started to fall apart and I've started putting money away for something new the next time the Corolla requires a major expenditure. My heart dreams of something a little more exciting/comfy to drive, and one where I don't have to plug my iPhone into the cassette tape deck converter.

How will you be using the car?: Daily driver (30m-1h commute). Road trips. Occasionally used to transport gardening supplies.
What aspects are most important to you?: Fuel efficiency, reliability, and safety. I've appreciated what a tank the corolla has been. After that, some zippiness and room for a 6'3 driver.

Based on my cursory investigations, I'm seeing a lot of recommendations for Mazda 3, Honda Civic, and VW Golf. Was curious about a more modern Toyota Corolla, but they haven't shown up in the recommendations I've been seeing.

Here's my thinking ~
Honda Civic - More reliable and safe than the Mazda 3. Bit more pricy. Kinda ugly.
VR Golf - Sounds like a fun car. Has some reliability issues? Longer warranty though.

There are quite a few Mazda, Honda, and Toyota dealerships near me, so I was going to check those out. Any pitfalls/years/thoughts to be mindful of?

Civic or mazda3 are both fine. Drive them and buy what you prefer. I would not get a MY2016 used Civic since it’s a brand new model with a new engine and transmission. Same for MY2014 mazda3.

The corolla is an old and not very good platform at this point. Toyota has put money in to the iA and iM.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Seluin posted:

Here's my thinking ~

Do the dumb/fun thing and buy a mini :getin:

only do this if you hate having money

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TraderStav posted:

I'd love to hear more about this as I'm getting conflicting information about this. I'm going to soon be in the market for a truck (likely f150) to pull a to-be-purchased travel trailer (total weight 6-9k?) for camping mostly in the midwest with my family. I will not be intentionally doing anything off-road but can imagine that I'd occasionally be faced with muddy / uneven terrain with the parks that we'll visit. RV forums are pretty evenly split between not needing 4x4 or it's one of those things that when you need it you're super happy you'll have it. I do want to avoid having my vacation be poo poo because I got stuck and didn't have it where it would've made a difference.

The reduced towing capacity isn't an issue but would love to eliminate a reduced cost.

Also, it'll be my wife daily driver so it'd be nice to have the 4x4 for Michigan winters, if she'd be assed to engage it.

The "you don't need 4 wheel drive to tow" is applicable to people who are towing something on tarmac only. Once you get into RV parks, horse farms, etc you WILL get stuck somewhere without it.

That being said, unloaded 4x4 pickups kinda blow for winter driving. When I still had one I'd put at least 500 lbs of poo poo in the bed - usually a few concrete parking blocks.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to chime in and thank the thread for earlier advice, I ended up falling in love with a Mazda 3 hatch when I went on test drives. I thought I wasn't a "but how does it drive??" person but I guess I was wrong. I also thought everyone was exaggerating re how the Prius drives but oh my god, it felt like driving some sort of weird boat. Driving the Corolla right after that actually felt like a relief, lol.

Luckily our rental car that we drove on our move up to WA was a Chevy Cruze that I felt kinda meh about, so really all I needed to bother trying out was a Civic and (just for kicks) a Fit. Fit was crazy roomy inside but just not as comfortable a ride as I'd wanted, and the Civic was just kinda okay. Now just waiting for my dumb online bank to mail us a certified check so we can drive off into the sunset.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Good on you. An AI success story!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Thanks for the feedback on the 4x4. Looks like it makes sense for me to make sure that I get it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

. Toyota has put money in to the iA and iM.
It took a lot of money to turn the best looking subcompact (mazda2) into the ugliest (iA) I guess.

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

Hey, thread, I have to get a bigger car. My wife and I are having a kid and we were fine with out current car (2011 Mazda2), but we found out that she's actually pregnant with twins. I literally cannot fit in my car with the infant car seats in, so now we're going car shopping.

Proposed Budget: $20,000 all in. (have to watch budget with twins on the way, but also plan to trade in current vehicle).
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4 door, hatch back preferable but not necessary. Minivan or SUV.
How will you be using the car?: Primarily for transit to and from work. Also, this thing has to be big enough to fit two infant car seats. We don't tow things but need a roof rack. Luxury would be nice if older models are affordable, but we're happy with a newer stock vehicle. Reliability and safety are most important.

We were looking at minivans, but don't love the look of them. Have had nothing but poor luck with any Dodge I've ever owned, so I want to scratch the Grand Caravan off right away. Sadly, I'm afraid other minivans, like the Honda Odyssey, will be too expensive. The Mazda5 seems like a possibility, but my wife doesn't love the idea. She'd almost like something that's a smoother ride, like a Toyota. We've been looking at the RAV4 as a possibility. Also the Nissan Rogue.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
A lot of compact suvs won't have much more space than a compact hatch like a mazda 3 but will cost way more.
Avoiding FCA cars is generally a solid move, but grand caravans can be had so cheap that you can almost buy a second one before the same year/equipment odessey, which means you can afford a lot of repairs. Watch out for rentals though because that is the standard rental minivan.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

yeah ok ok yeah posted:

Hey, thread, I have to get a bigger car. My wife and I are having a kid and we were fine with out current car (2011 Mazda2), but we found out that she's actually pregnant with twins. I literally cannot fit in my car with the infant car seats in, so now we're going car shopping.

Proposed Budget: $20,000 all in. (have to watch budget with twins on the way, but also plan to trade in current vehicle).
How will you be using the car?: Primarily for transit to and from work. Also, this thing has to be big enough to fit two infant car seats. We don't tow things but need a roof rack. Luxury would be nice if older models are affordable, but we're happy with a newer stock vehicle. Reliability and safety are most important.

We were looking at minivans, but don't love the look of them. Have had nothing but poor luck with any Dodge I've ever owned, so I want to scratch the Grand Caravan off right away. Sadly, I'm afraid other minivans, like the Honda Odyssey, will be too expensive. The Mazda5 seems like a possibility, but my wife doesn't love the idea. She'd almost like something that's a smoother ride, like a Toyota. We've been looking at the RAV4 as a possibility. Also the Nissan Rogue.

It's time to accept that you are now a minivan driver, my dude. Congratulations on your incoming arrivals. :cheers:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

yeah ok ok yeah posted:

I test drove a Mazda 5 a few months ago and it was nothing to write home about. It felt underpowered.

Do you have an idea of which car seats you'll be using? Generally, this thread recommends you to take the car seats when looking for a car.

If you're considering a minivan, which has a third row, what about SUVs with a third row? I am a fan of the Honda Pilot.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

yeah ok ok yeah posted:

The best minivans have been the Pacifica, the Odyssey, and the Sienna for many years running. Depending on the trim level you may find something as recent as a 2015 for that price.

We have a 2013 Odyssey with 75,000 miles on it and it's still terrific. They age well (depending on the ages of the kids from the PO, though).

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's time to accept that you are now a minivan driver, my dude. Congratulations on your incoming arrivals. :cheers:

Haha, yeah, thanks. We are moving closer to acceptance. My wife still wants to rebel and get an SUV crossover, but we'll see. I am probably ready to humble myself with a minivan. Still holding out hope for something other than a Grand Caravan, but nm makes a good point about the cost. I see them everywhere and they're cheap. (As an aside, despite everything Dodge I've ever owned eating my money, I did own a 2002 Chrysler Neon that somehow made it past 250,000km before everything gave out).

I did test drive a Mazda 5 a few weeks ago. It felt comparable to my current Mazda 2, which was a bit disconcerting--the 2's not that powerful and with the 5 being bigger and expected to carry more, that was a flag.

We have Chico Keyfit30 car seats. They fit comfortably in the SUVs we've tried so far, though at least in a RAV4 and a Rogue they make the middle seat unusable. We would absolutely be open to an SUV with a third row. The Honda Pilot wasn't even on my radar, so I might take one out for a test drive.

The Odyssey was one possibility, though we haven't found any in our price range nearby. Haven't looked at the Pacifica much because we kinda defaulted away from FCA vehicles, but honestly, I can get over myself if the price is right and it's reliable. The Sienna is one I missed as well. Like I say, my wife is really hoping to get an SUV, but we are moving closer to the probably reality of a minivan. Sliding doors sound like a huge plus for us.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How about a Ford Flex? Have you taken a look a those? I hate American cars and was super impressed with the one I road in.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Internet Explorer posted:

How about a Ford Flex? Have you taken a look a those? I hate American cars and was super impressed with the one I road in.

The Ford Flex is the most comfortable vehicle I’ve ever been in. Ford should’ve spun of Flex into its own line of boxy, comfortable weird-rear end cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BlackMK4 posted:

FA5 is the better car, the EP3 is the cooler lookin' one.