Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

Bill Gates has tried repeatedly to get Washington state to adopt an income tax on higher brackets, only to be denied at the ballot box, so I wouldn't read too much into an anecdotal quote.

fair enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

theblackw0lf posted:

I think Ocasio had a great arguement for why we should abolish ICE.

https://theintercept.com/2018/06/27...-establishment/

Read the whole interview. I'm extremely impressed.

She's really putting most of our other representation to shame.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Radish posted:

She majored in economics and international affairs, and it shows.

And fortunately she went to Boston for economics, not Chicago.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Radish posted:

Because she has not been infected by the :decorum: virus yet.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Radish posted:

She also went from 389K Twitter followers two nights ago to 419K today. She's getting that message out there.

I think this lady is gonna go places, and I love it.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Tax everyone based on multiples of the minimum wage. Earning 5x the minimum wage? Hello 90% tax! Double so for capital gains. Bing bong so simple.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Tax everyone based on multiples of the minimum wage. Earning 5x the minimum wage? Hello 90% tax! Double so for capital gains. Bing bong so simple.

Only if you get student debt fired into the sun first or you're going to make everyone who wants to be a medical professional and isn't already independantly wealthy debtors for life.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
The State Legislature folded hard as Coca Cola bought themselves a tax rebate.

SEIU backing this and the construction unions in Seattle backing the head tax repeal makes me think that Janus is probably for the best.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Consumption taxes are regressive horseshit, they were right to fight them.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

I don't think they're great or anything, but I definitely think setting the precedent that Coca Cola can say "jump" and SEIU and the legislature ask "how high?" is far more harmful in the long run.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Bill Gates has tried repeatedly to get Washington state to adopt an income tax on higher brackets, only to be denied at the ballot box, so I wouldn't read too much into an anecdotal quote.

Key word - *income* taxes. Because income taxes barely matter to the super rich, like Gates. But there's no way in hell Gates would support a wealth tax (this is something very important that is largely missing from leftist rhetoric), and probably not increasing the capital gains tax either.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Thanatosian posted:

SEIU backing this and the construction unions in Seattle backing the head tax repeal makes me think that Janus is probably for the best.

SEIU is a corporation/lobbying group disguised as a union

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Radish posted:

"Good billionaires" will be switching to the Trump train the moment you start talking about raising their taxes so fast your head will spin.

"I have more money than I can spend before I die but I will switch to supporting fashism if you even think about touching it."

No such thing as a good billionaire.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

theblackw0lf posted:

She majored in economics and international affairs, and it shows.

And fortunately she went to Boston for economics, not Chicago.
Is Political Science almost the same as Int'll affairs, major-wise?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

Key word - *income* taxes. Because income taxes barely matter to the super rich, like Gates. But there's no way in hell Gates would support a wealth tax (this is something very important that is largely missing from leftist rhetoric), and probably not increasing the capital gains tax either.

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/02/bill-gates-calls-for-higher-capital-gains-taxes.html

CNBC posted:

"There's always been the question of whether taxes on capital should be a lot lower than taxes on labor," Gates said. "I tend to think they should be pretty much the same, and that that's an opportunity to be a bit more progressive."

Tyrannosoros
May 30, 2018

by R. Guyovich
lol Bill Gates is to the left of D&D

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Mantis42 posted:

What’s your take on VAT? I think it is good because tourists help fund my healthcare.

Oh and on top of taxing individual income over 100k super hard, I’d also increase payroll taxes to at least 40%. Make me chairman of the USA, or at least an undersecretary.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 30, 2018

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Dirk Pitt posted:

What’s your take on VAT? I think it is good because tourists help fund my healthcare.

Oh and on top of taxing individual income over 100k super hard, I’d also increase payroll taxes to at least 40%. Make me chairman of the USA, or at least an undersecretary.

VAT, GST, and other consumption tax schemes are bad.

Poor people have to spend everything they make. All of their income gets immediately hit by VAT.

Middle-class people generally spend most of their income, but can save a little bit. Most of their income is immediately hit by VAT.

Rich people can spend very little of their income and plow most of it back into investments. Very little of their income is hit by VAT, and their investments can grow untouched by VAT.

In other words, it's regressive - rich people will almost always pay a smaller percentage of their income to VAT than poor people. You could balance this out with a heavily progressive income tax system and substantial investment and wealth taxes - but why not just do that instead to begin with?

(If you want to tax tourists, put a specific consumption tax on hotels, rental cars, restaurants, and other places tourists go)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ron Jeremy posted:

No such thing as a good billionaire.

bloomberg: i'm gonna spend 80 million getting democrats elected, also i'm going to host a fundraiser for peter king.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Is Political Science almost the same as Int'll affairs, major-wise?

International Relations (IR) and International Affairs (IA) are basically the same thing and they're both emphasises that you can choose if you're getting a poli sci degree.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Space Gopher posted:

(If you want to tax tourists, put a specific consumption tax on hotels, rental cars, restaurants, and other places tourists go)

Which would still be regressive, and punish people with less money who would want the chance to travel/push the ability to travel to your country further out of reach of more people.

Sales taxes are lame, as are all regressive taxes.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ytlaya posted:

the Washington State constitution basically bans the state legislature or lower legislative bodies from instituting a progressive income tax and you need a ballot initiative to circumvent it

this is incidentally the exact reason why the Seattle city council had that weird employee headcount tax to pay for the homeless instead of a straight forward income tax

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Lightning Knight posted:

Which would still be regressive, and punish people with less money who would want the chance to travel/push the ability to travel to your country further out of reach of more people.

Sales taxes are lame, as are all regressive taxes.

I think that it's good to have a mix of income, property, consumer taxes, etc. It allows taxation to remain flexible.

It's possible that consumption can bottom out to minimal spending, it's possible that wages can crash and it's possible to have another housing bubble. During the great recession, states that rely heavily on a single mode of taxation, like Florida and its property tax for instance, were hit especially hard as the great recession's cause was a housing bubble which hobbled their ability to take in revenue. It's important to have multiple modes of taxation in case one of those modes takes a hit or even crashes.

I'm not for completely eliminating taxation of any kind without finding ways to drum up the revenue to pay for essential services. I'm also not for eliminating taxation on any single class of people as this creates ill feelings towards those people. If you eliminate too much of the burden on one class it creates resentment among those shouldering the burden.

So I get where you're coming from, and I agree, but taxation should come from multiple sources to be more resilient to shock and it should be spread out among everyone to keep resentment down. It doesn't even have to be spread out equally. Just show that people aren't "freeloaders" which is a common complaint. You'll look back and see Romney's 47% comment, even though he's a hedge fund manager who helps hide the wealth of the rich.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Thanatosian posted:

"why are these unions fighting for jobs for their workers?!" demands local idiot

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 30, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ice Phisherman posted:

So I get where you're coming from, and I agree, but taxation should come from multiple sources to be more resilient to shock and it should be spread out among everyone to keep resentment down. It doesn't even have to be spread out equally. Just show that people aren't "freeloaders" which is a common complaint. You'll look back and see Romney's 47% comment, even though he's a hedge fund manager who helps hide the wealth of the rich.

I mean the 47% comment may have resonated with a lot of conservatives but it also functionally cost him the election, or at least is famously one of the things they slammed him for that stuck.

Also theoretically if you’re effectively eliminating poverty and homelessness, etc., you’re putting more people in a position where they would be paying more taxes than just sales taxes, no?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ice Phisherman posted:

It's possible that consumption can bottom out to minimal spending, it's possible that wages can crash and it's possible to have another housing bubble

So your solution, when people run out of money, is to demand they pay more of it?

This isn't hard, tax the gently caress out of the rich and get rid of all these regressive taxes that take money from the poorest among us. We need velocity of money and poor people dump a lot of their money back into their local economy, at least they do if you don't tax the gently caress out of them.

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'm also not for eliminating taxation on any single class of people as this creates ill feelings towards those people. If you eliminate too much of the burden on one class it creates resentment among those shouldering the burden.

This is really dumb, you're trying to preempt the "welfare queen" argument but it's never going to go away. Stop trying to base policy decisions on how you think the GOP will attack them, they will attack EVERYTHING, it's just what they do.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://twitter.com/_sjpeace_/status/1013052999210602496?s=21

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'm not for completely eliminating taxation of any kind without finding ways to drum up the revenue to pay for essential services.

This only applies to local/state governments*, and ideally essential services would just be paid for by the federal government (which has no such requirement to generate tax revenue equal to what it spends).

Either way, I can't think of any reason you'd ever want to have a sales tax unless it was being used to discourage certain consumption (and it's questionable whether this is always helpful) or only aimed at products/services purchased by the very wealthy (and in the case of the latter you might as well just tax it from them directly). Unless it's targeted at yachts or whatever, a consumption tax is always going to be regressive.

Of course, you can also make the same argument to some extent with regard to income taxes. Ideally tax would be generated by wealth taxes on the wealthy and then drawn from capital gains/income taxes on high earners, only taxing those who aren't well-off if a necessary amount can't be draw from wealthier people. In a reasonable society, the bottom ~50% (and probably more like 70-80%) wouldn't pay a dime in taxes, since they only have an insignificant portion of the nation's wealth (the bottom 80% literally has less than 10% of the nation's wealth, which I think is a starker figure than the income-centric figures usually cited).

* I think? I imagine they have to either generate money from taxes or get it from the federal government/loans, since they can't just create money like the federal government. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this.

That doesn't really conflict much with what I said; I said "probably" regarding capital gains because there are some liberals who are willing to support a modest increase to capital gains taxes (so it isn't unheard of for one to support that), but support for a wealth tax is almost unheard of among the wealthy (for obvious reasons). Also, making capital gains tax equal to income tax isn't exactly a huge increase, given the top income tax bracket is just 39.6% (and that's not even getting into the way the wealthy can avoid taxes, obviously).

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://twitter.com/ositanwanevu/status/957653193873346560?s=21

A thread.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only purpose for federal taxation is a counter inflationary pressure

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, that and sticking it to the poors

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

facebook posted:

"You are going to be the first deported"

"Dirty Mexican"

Were some of the things they yelled they yelled at this 14 year old boy. He was defending immigrants at a rally and was shouted down.

#civility

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I hope this lady gets the same thing that rear end in a top hat lawyer got.

Also crossposting:

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/1013104124559331328?s=21

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

This only applies to local/state governments*, and ideally essential services would just be paid for by the federal government (which has no such requirement to generate tax revenue equal to what it spends).

Either way, I can't think of any reason you'd ever want to have a sales tax unless it was being used to discourage certain consumption (and it's questionable whether this is always helpful) or only aimed at products/services purchased by the very wealthy (and in the case of the latter you might as well just tax it from them directly). Unless it's targeted at yachts or whatever, a consumption tax is always going to be regressive.

Of course, you can also make the same argument to some extent with regard to income taxes. Ideally tax would be generated by wealth taxes on the wealthy and then drawn from capital gains/income taxes on high earners, only taxing those who aren't well-off if a necessary amount can't be draw from wealthier people. In a reasonable society, the bottom ~50% (and probably more like 70-80%) wouldn't pay a dime in taxes, since they only have an insignificant portion of the nation's wealth (the bottom 80% literally has less than 10% of the nation's wealth, which I think is a starker figure than the income-centric figures usually cited).

* I think? I imagine they have to either generate money from taxes or get it from the federal government/loans, since they can't just create money like the federal government. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this.

That doesn't really conflict much with what I said; I said "probably" regarding capital gains because there are some liberals who are willing to support a modest increase to capital gains taxes (so it isn't unheard of for one to support that), but support for a wealth tax is almost unheard of among the wealthy (for obvious reasons). Also, making capital gains tax equal to income tax isn't exactly a huge increase, given the top income tax bracket is just 39.6% (and that's not even getting into the way the wealthy can avoid taxes, obviously).

As you point out about discouraging consumption, sin taxes aimed at using economic disincentives for unhealthy stuff like alcohol and tobacco might do more good than harm even while being regressive. They're really the exception to the rule.

The biggest issue I remember reading about for targeted taxes on the wealthy, like a yacht tax, is the wealthy are incredibly good at circumventing these taxes, to the point where enforcement is a serious issue.

I mean wealth taxes are the obvious "answer" but good luck enacting that legislation.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I’m of two minds on excise taxes aimed at unhealthy things. On the one hand, they may discourage unhealthy habits, but on the other they’re often targeting people with addiction and usually the poor. I don’t really think they’re ethical taxes so long as we don’t have universal healthcare, since a poor person addicted to alcohol or tobacco (for example) has no effective means of seeking healthcare. I’m also not clear on how effective they are at actually discouraging the use of addictive or unhealthy things.

Edit: grammar

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 30, 2018

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Business Gorillas posted:

"why are these unions fighting for jobs for their workers?!" demands local idiot
Yeah, I can't imagine how establishing the precedent that a major corporation can write a tiny-rear end check and have the state government at their beck and call could possibly go poorly for unions. Or anyone else.

But no, Coca-Cola said that would affect their jobs, and if anyone knows anything, it's that the union's first responsibility is to believe what major multinational corporations tell them.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

twodot posted:

What? You're saying "some states taxes are different from federal taxes (by definition since some states are different from some states) therefore having federal taxes be individual would be more complicated than the current arrangement of some people filing taxes jointly, because it would be different from how some married people currently file taxes in some states, where the current arrangement already has people filing taxes in some states differently from filing federal taxes"? Everyone should just file their own taxes. If groups of people want to engage in complex legal arrangements like jointly owning real estate or bank accounts, they can figure out how to appropriately pay taxes on those arrangements.

No, that is not what I said. The state laws regarding marriage and property are different from state to state. Those differing property laws (usually called community property and separate property) affect who is the earner of the income. In my state, any income earned by a married person is half earned by the spouse (community property). In other states, any income earned by a married person is fully earned by the working spouse with the spouse not having right to the money (separate property).

Under your system where everyone files their own taxes, if a person living in my state earns a $100k salary and is married to a person earning $0, they each have to file a tax return claiming $50k of income.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Lightning Knight posted:

I’m of two minds on excise taxes aimed at unhealthy things. On the one hand, they may discourage unhealthy habits, but on the other they’re often targeting people with addiction and usually the poor. I don’t really think they’re ethical taxes so long as we don’t have universal healthcare, since a poor person addicted to alcohol or tobacco (for example) has no effective means of seeking healthcare. I’m also not clear on how effective they are at actually discouraging the use of addictive or unhealthy things.

Edit: grammar

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3228562/

Research consensus is that it's been very effective in reducing tobacco use, especially for younger and lower-income populations. It's less clear what the effect of soda taxes have been, which are relatively tiny compared to the taxes on tobacco.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I want my cheap beer and sodas, gently caress sin taxes.

If we can't take people's guns away, you don't get to take away my Coca Cola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3228562/

Research consensus is that it's been very effective in reducing tobacco use, especially for younger and lower-income populations. It's less clear what the effect of soda taxes have been, which are relatively tiny compared to the taxes on tobacco.

Thanks. I’ll read this when I’m not at work.

• Locked thread