Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Here is where I read about Claustrophobia 2nd edition: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2010160/new-details-upcoming-claustrophobia-monolith

Looks like it's Monolith doing this via kickstarter, and there's some weird chatter about it being a limited print run for the first run. I'm glad I have a copy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Actually, are you sure you can't get a 2 player game of Forbidden Stars done in 90 minutes or less (after you've played a learning game)? I have never timed it but I want to say we were in the ballpark

Yeah, you might be right. Depends how much AP players have. We had a very long first experience but thinking about it was down to around two hours the second time, and I think would be a lot faster once we knew the cards backwards.

While FS is fine and good at two I also think it’s better at three so wonder if there just aren’t better head to head options.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Here is where I read about Claustrophobia 2nd edition: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2010160/new-details-upcoming-claustrophobia-monolith

Looks like it's Monolith doing this via kickstarter, and there's some weird chatter about it being a limited print run for the first run. I'm glad I have a copy!

I think it's hilarious people are pissed that Monolith is treating KS like a glorified pre-order shop... when that's exactly what it is now.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Bottom Liner posted:

Hell yeah, I bought a few old hot rods and trucks (and a tank) today. $20 and I have the pdf and a bunch of cars to muck up. Not gonna bother painting, but I will file them down and beat them up a bit and make them dirty. Any idea where to get weapon bits?

There are a ton of sites making accessories for the game, under the Friends of Gaslands Banner. There's a facebook group called Gaslands Sale or Trade where people are posting weapon bits, too.

Honestly, I refuse to spend much in the way of money on this, since part of the whole appeal is the low barrier of entry. So I'm not bothering with the custom movement templates etc that you can get online. (Might get some dice, though. Way easier.) For weapons I've been going to thrift shops and getting action figures with weapons and cutting those up, as well as using spare electronic components I've had lying around. I've always kept away from minis games, due to not wanting to have to learn the skills on an expensive model. Futzing around with 99 cent cars has been very freeing.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's loving cool. I'm definitely going to play me some Gaslands one of these days. I'm glad this thread brought it to my attention!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/78161/take-look-what-happened-2018-origins-game-fair

Cool pictures of Origins swag

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mister Sinewave posted:

That's loving cool. I'm definitely going to play me some Gaslands one of these days. I'm glad this thread brought it to my attention!

It’s a really neat and simple system hat I anticipate having a lot of fun with. Had the bright idea of taking a lighter to mine to char them up a little and I think they look rad.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just happened to have a trip home planned tomorrow, and mom says there's a whole box in the basement. Double bonus of nostalgia plus predistressed.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Are there any dexterity-based games out there that are considered good/deep enough to play regularly? I'd like to pick one up that'd keep enough interest for board game regulars while also drawing in their board game adverse friends that sometimes tag along when they come over. My hope is the regulars can just say something like "flick x into y" to their friends while keeping track of the actual game.

The problem is that the dexterity games I've seen look dry as an actual game. Flick 'em Up and PitchCar looked like they'd be fun, but too simple to keep our interest over several plays. I'd prefer dropping cash on something that would hit the table more often.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The So Very Wrong About Games guys rave about Seal Team Flix. There is also the new edition of Catacombs and the same publisher is going to make a second edition of Ascending Empires with hopefully a better board.

Has anyone played Dr. Garfield’s new game, Bunny Kingdom? It’s published by Iello :swoon:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Has anyone played Dr. Garfield’s new game, Bunny Kingdom? It’s published by Iello :swoon:

I've heard a ton of mixed things about it ranging from it's trash to best game of last year so I'd be curious to hear more as well. Seal Team Flix does sound pretty sweet.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

It’s an extremely competent drafting game. Unique components, quick play, and the art is gorgeous. It’s... casual is the best word I can think of right now. I wouldn’t turn it down if someone was setting it up, but I have other games that I’d rather play.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Codeacious posted:

Are there any dexterity-based games out there that are considered good/deep enough to play regularly? I'd like to pick one up that'd keep enough interest for board game regulars while also drawing in their board game adverse friends that sometimes tag along when they come over. My hope is the regulars can just say something like "flick x into y" to their friends while keeping track of the actual game.

Crokinole. It's straightforward enough that even game-adverse people can join in, has great tactics in the four player game (it's a team game where you sit opposite your partner), and tends to draw people in simply by looking beautiful.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Jedit posted:

Crokinole. It's straightforward enough that even game-adverse people can join in, has great tactics in the four player game (it's a team game where you sit opposite your partner), and tends to draw people in simply by looking beautiful.

It has a North American (called the World's) championship with a pretty high standard of competition.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Triskelli posted:

It’s an extremely competent drafting game. Unique components, quick play, and the art is gorgeous. It’s... casual is the best word I can think of right now. I wouldn’t turn it down if someone was setting it up, but I have other games that I’d rather play.

It’s also extremely mean, in the 2 player game you are looking at your hand of cards, choosing one to play and one to discard before passing them to your opponent. So you can pretty much look at the grid, see what your opponent is trying to do and then just trash cards they want. This might sound bad but it actually makes for some interesting decisions plus keeps scoring in check a bit. It’s just the right length too, we can finish a game in about 30 to 40 minutes.

terebikun
May 27, 2016

Stan Taylor posted:

Trying to pick up some new to the group casual/party games. Grabbed Skull last weekend. Should I order Monikers so I can demo them at my buddies 4th of July cookout? Y/n

Hell yeah bro, it's a legit gateway game that even dumb ol' dads can figure out, except it's actually fun

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I think it was Tekopo who would say that nowadays you shouldn’t have to choose between theme and mechanics. There are so many good boardgames that you can probably find satisfying examples of both.

In 2018, it feels like you can say the same thing about mechanics and really nice components. I didn’t realize it before but I’m all for the movement of taking classic battle-proven games and reprinting them in a blinged out edition.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I like nice components but not the huge mega ultimate boxes a lot of games seem be doing to accommodate then. If Dominant Species can fit a whole tree’s worth of wood and a giant board in a smallish box, any game can do it. Minis seem to be the problem yet again ;)

Half way kidding, I like good minis that are good in the game, I hate ones that are hard to read or make the table look like a mess. Cthulhu Wars are both good design and showing the game state with their stark colors, but a lot of other Kickstarter stuff just looks like a mess on the table no matter how detailed the sculpts are.

...I say all of this as I’m preparing a laminated small Dominant Species board and smaller hexes

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I think it was Tekopo who would say that nowadays you shouldn’t have to choose between theme and mechanics. There are so many good boardgames that you can probably find satisfying examples of both.

In 2018, it feels like you can say the same thing about mechanics and really nice components. I didn’t realize it before but I’m all for the movement of taking classic battle-proven games and reprinting them in a blinged out edition.

Same and this is why I love TMG’s deluxe editions. As much as I like Capstone, if TMG had neue heimat reprinted instead we’d probably have wooden checks and exorbitant wooden houses. Also metal coins, lots of metal coins.

Side note: Indonesia has an entire tree’s worth of wood crammed in it and look how small that box is. Minis are the problem, theory checks out.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

El Fideo posted:

I am very much into that too, so what's this Dread thing you mentioned?

Dread is that RPG system for horror movie style games where you use a Jenga tower for resolutions instead of dice. I've never played it but it seems cool for little one offs

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Speaking of deluxe reprints, anyone have strong feelings about Santorini? From what I've read it's a game that people generally like but don't love, but it was also nominated for a lot of Best of the Year awards.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I got Santorini at Target for $15 or $20 and I’m happy to have it. You can play it with anyone that can grasp checkers and it plays quick. It’s pretty fun and on par with Onitama/Hive. We rotate through all three but play Tak the most or when we want a crunchy abstract. I’d say it’s a great intro abstract with lots of replayability, especially with the god cards, but it doesn’t rise up to the level of Tak or the classics.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
You folks were right. :negative:

Lords of Hellas is too slow. Off to the sale pile it goes.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

This image owns, expecially the Power Grid bits in the background. "4 hour long math puzzles are nice, but sometimes you just want to reduce good old fashioned American automobiles down to their component smithereens."

I was able to resist the temptation when the Secret Cabal was talking about this, but I think I might be buying a PDF soon.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Is it common for Patchwork to end with negative scores, or do me and my friend just suck? Final score was -12 to -4, both of us were one square away from the 7x7 square bonus.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Breadnought posted:

Is it common for Patchwork to end with negative scores, or do me and my friend just suck? Final score was -12 to -4, both of us were one square away from the 7x7 square bonus.

I suck also and never have had a positive score

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
You'll definitely get better, I remember getting negatives early on but I haven't had a negative score in quite some time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Breadnought posted:

Patchwork is one of those games where score really doesn't matter, only if you win or lose. Playing online a lot taught me that, the game can get pretty cutthroat and you can make a lot of suboptimal moves because it hurts your opponent more than the best move helps you. Azul is similar in that respect.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Magnetic North posted:

This image owns, expecially the Power Grid bits in the background. "4 hour long math puzzles are nice, but sometimes you just want to reduce good old fashioned American automobiles down to their component smithereens."

I was able to resist the temptation when the Secret Cabal was talking about this, but I think I might be buying a PDF soon.

I came in a close second in that Power Grid game, while farting around with my car m)ans, which I'd brought along to show the other guy in the group that plays Gaslands. Get the pdf, that and a few cars are the cheapest starter set you ever saw.

Now my shaky-rear end hands need to learn the rudiments of painting. That base coat on those cars isn't even proper spray primer, just regular spray paint.

EDIT: There's a Gaslands thread! poo poo! We should probably talk about this in there! FUUUUCK

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860130

El Fideo fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 1, 2018

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Breadnought posted:

It's just a sign you are both spending more time hatedrafting than actually optimizing your points. In a 1v1 game like Patchwork, that's a totally legitimate strategy. Speaking of 1v1 games, I'm surprised how well High Treason: the Trial of Louis Riel plays. It looks like it should be AP hell, but it actually flows pretty well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Friend was playing Terraforming Mars and nearly flipped the table when another player said “if only you had this hand hoho”

I was too busy having fun playing 1846. Finished that game faster than Mars. I really have to give that company props for advertising the hell out of a mediocre game and tricking thousands into buying it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It's such a wonderful theme and such an annoyingly bad game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I have friends who have played that damned game 200 times, they love it. It's amazing I thought they had better taste.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It’s too bad you can’t get Sol outside of the Kickstarter since that’s a much better game and I’d like it for people to move on from TFM. Is High frontier the only good space exploration game out right now? I can only think of 2038 being the other good one if you’re cool with mining space rocks.

E: I forget that RFTG is exploration themed too but isn’t hard sci fi.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

It’s too bad you can’t get Sol outside of the Kickstarter since that’s a much better game and I’d like it for people to move on from TFM. Is High frontier the only good space exploration game out right now? I can only think of 2038 being the other good one if you’re cool with mining space rocks.

E: I forget that RFTG is exploration themed too but isn’t hard sci fi.

Tiny Epic Galaxies is much lighter weight than HF, but solid. People have mixed opinions on Leaving Earth--including whether it counts as "out right now".

Dancer
May 23, 2011

CaptainRightful posted:

Tiny Epic Galaxies is much lighter weight than HF, but solid. People have mixed opinions on Leaving Earth--including whether it counts as "out right now".

I mean, I like TEG, but comparing it to HF seems slightly ludicrous to me. Not only are they mechanically extremely different, but the themes don't exactly mesh either. TEG has you being an abstract "interstellar empire" that colonizes planets, while HF just has you being a normal human civilization, launching stuff into space.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dancer posted:

I mean, I like TEG, but comparing it to HF seems slightly ludicrous to me. Not only are they mechanically extremely different, but the themes don't exactly mesh either. TEG has you being an abstract "interstellar empire" that colonizes planets, while HF just has you being a normal human civilization, launching stuff into space.

Yeah that’s why I didn’t really want to include RFTG either. That’s what pains me about TFM: RFTG already existed and has the same engine and victory conditions (oh no there’s a “map” and you push cubes around but it’s really just a count for your tableau anyway) and TFM has cube pushing. Just slap on corporation starters instead of worlds, add some cube converters like SC and you’re good to go.

SUSD has a new review of century spice and eastern wonders: https://youtu.be/u2GDSEWJZsU

I only just finished the spice road part. They like it but they admit they’d rather play other card games. I def agree. Chudyk Games RFTG and import/export are much better but the presentation of these are so nice. At least its a decent game assuming you play fast, it goes in the same category of small world as a mediocre game that’s worse when people AP.

century spice games of 4 should only take ~30 min. My view on it is that of a filler, so I’m much more lenient on it (like small world). The problem is I assume the majority of people who play it won’t play it as a filler since it’s solidly marketed as a gateway game so could take 1-1.5h - so it’s actually worse. It has the same flaws of market row with a bit of compensation via payment to cheaper choices as small world. Truthfully I think it might actually be worse than small world since at least you’re guaranteed to be doing something with your new race in small world. In century spice, you might not even be able to use the new gear appendage. There’s been games where we have all been subjected to a market row tax because the front cards were so bad. And there’s that one card with 3 wild upgrades we took out after several plays because it’s so high on the power curve compared to everything else.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

SUSD has a new review of century spice and eastern wonders: https://youtu.be/u2GDSEWJZsU

"I love Splendor" - said in TYOOL 2018

He is dead to me

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Dancer posted:

"I love Splendor" - said in TYOOL 2018

He is dead to me

It's still in my set of "explain in five minutes, play in 30" though, with uptown, sushi go, and a couple others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

silvergoose posted:

It's still in my set of "explain in five minutes, play in 30" though, with uptown, sushi go, and a couple others.

Also it's tiny.