Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Working on figuring this nonsense out

Okay, this is one of my fishing spots, and this is the aforementioned chain pickerel.

He fought like the Dickens and I landed him with a 5 inch Senko swimming a T-rig.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hey little guy! I enjoy how pike-ish fish look like they have a wry grin.

Anybody getting out this weekend?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Hey little guy! I enjoy how pike-ish fish look like they have a wry grin.

Anybody getting out this weekend?

I'm gonna try and crush some Walleye despite not knowing anything about them as of finishing this sentence.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Good day yesterday. Found a couple new spots on the St. Vrain.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
All around good fishing for all!

I caught my first rainbow trout today.

It was a good day on the boat trolling. I had never done it before, so missed a lot of fish. :sweatdrop:

My trout

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Okay, this is one of my fishing spots, and this is the aforementioned chain pickerel.

gently caress yeah, I love catching chainsides. Even moreso than bass since around here there's about 20 bass for every one pickerel.

Anyone ever eat pickerel? How is it?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Rape Stink posted:

gently caress yeah, I love catching chainsides. Even moreso than bass since around here there's about 20 bass for every one pickerel.

Anyone ever eat pickerel? How is it?

I've read that the meat is good but it's really bony, like pike as I understand it. I also have no firsthand knowledge of this so I may be full of poo poo.

Sockington, that looks like a fantastic trip. Lake trout get so loving huge! I don't know about you, but I'd have that motherfucker filleted and smoking over alderwood before I cracked my second beer. Trolling should definitely be in your arsenal when you have your destroyer in the water. In a previous post I mentioned that I got a Do-It mold for a walleye spinner. I dug a little deeper as to what that meant, and "walleye spinner" apparently means "Erie Dearie, but not trademarked." Any experience with those? By reputation they have been catching walleye in the Great Lakes for forty years.

Also I am now sitting on 120 lbs of clean lead and like 25 different jig and sinker molds, and some of them are pretty interesting. Anybody fish a Grave Digger before? :black101:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I wrapped it in tinfoil with cut up lemon and onions, some dill, butter, and a half hour on the BBQ.

I tried the kayak for an hour today and only got a free balsa wood bobber out of the deal. Some poor shmuck got it stuck a while ago under a road bridge on a log, and I just coasted over and retrieved it.

Spotted lots of longnose spotted gar pike, but they weren’t biting.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Dunno why this youtube comment made me laugh but here you go

Tony Hong Fishing
3 weeks ago (edited)
Eating carp? I’m Asian....but not that Asian.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
I was up in the Sierra Nevadas last weekend for my annual trip. I got one, my brother got one, my cousin got one, my two friends got one, gramps lost one, my brother in law lost one as well, and my cousin Jeremy who you might remember holding the big striper got 15. lol. Great weekend though.

In other news, I got invited on my IT vendor's annual overnight tuna trip on a chartered boat again. SO PUMPED. Last year I caught a 60 lb yellowfin; I think I posted a pic of it.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 19, 2018

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
Couple perch out of the Severn (UK)

https://imgur.com/a/jXPJXeG
https://imgur.com/a/aQ3idHr
https://imgur.com/a/IArvQZ7

Dunno what I'm doing wrong...gotta pop out so will sort later

Arthur Bowlsworth fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 19, 2018

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

You guys see the new Shimano DC? Crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy6fYpK1zhY

edit: Oh, I guess this isn't new technology. Awkward. New to me though!

joem83 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 19, 2018

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Magnets in general are old (for years I've toyed with the idea of magging my avet sx because it is merciless to cast), but something as complex as that Curado is new to me too.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

Couple perch out of the Severn (UK)

https://imgur.com/a/jXPJXeG
https://imgur.com/a/aQ3idHr
https://imgur.com/a/IArvQZ7

Dunno what I'm doing wrong...gotta pop out so will sort later

BritPerch rules. Those fins are really pretty!

joem83 posted:

In other news, I got invited on my IT vendor's annual overnight tuna trip on a chartered boat again. SO PUMPED. Last year I caught a 60 lb yellowfin; I think I posted a pic of it.

I'm so loving jealous.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Enigma posted:

Magnets in general are old (for years I've toyed with the idea of magging my avet sx because it is merciless to cast), but something as complex as that Curado is new to me too.

Those are the best reals and getting the MC system installed is what I think sex would be like if I had sex.
I used a few different sizes pitching 4oz-8oz bars and it was amazing.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

LingcodKilla posted:

Those are the best reals and getting the MC system installed is what I think sex would be like if I had sex.
I used a few different sizes pitching 4oz-8oz bars and it was amazing.

If you're having sex without involving magnets you're doing it wrong anyway.

I love the reel and use it mostly for shallow reef fishing from a boat, but I occasionally beach fish and it would be nice to be able to cast it.

I won the base (non MC version) in a raffle. I looked into it and my options to add magnets seem to be buying the MC frame from Avet (which is only slightly less than buying a brand new reel) or something less elegant that involves epoxy and hardware store magnets.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Last night I melted some lead that belonged to a dead man and I made some things. The lead was old and oxidized, but after melting and fluxing it came out shiny.

That is a stack of 3/8oz walking sinkers for lindy rigs and some 1/16oz and 1/32oz crappie jigs made with Mustad sproat hooks. Not pictured are seven one-pound ingots that are a lot easier to work with than the redneck muffin tin ingots the dead man had.

Anybody going out this weekend? I'm about to leave town for a while so I'm headed out to a new lake near Hood Canal on Saturday. Last time I was in my buddy's canoe our toes almost froze off so I'm looking forward to being out on the water now that it's warm again.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

My wife and kids went on a trip this weekend so I'm home all alone. I more or less played hooky from work today to go fishing. I decided I wanted to branch out and hit the salt, so I went down to the San Diego bay and went spotty fishing. I caught 10 total and missed just as many in 3 hours, was an awesome day! I don't even remember the last time I caught 10 fish in a day. Most were pretty small, about this size, but they were still really fun to catch. One of them exploded out of the water when I set the hook. Got that dude through the gills, the crabs might be getting a meal tonight.

After 9, I started to get pretty thirsty and I didn't bring any water so I said ONE MORE FISH. Casted out to nothing in particular, WHAM, I was like "IS THIS A HALIBUT!?!?!?" but then I saw it was just a big fat spotted bay bass. These things have sharp gill plates, spines, and sharp teeth. I don't really know how to handle them yet, the last 9 I just shook off the hook with my pliers. I realize I want to take a picture of this fish, so I bring him up and grab my phone. Alas, he bent the hook and shook off riiiiiiiiiight down into the riprap. He went down pretty deep, but I wasn't gonna leave him there. I moved like 8 big rocks and managed to get him out with my pliers. He was down there for a few minutes while I excavated him, but he swam away just fine. I think this is pretty big for a spotty but I didn't weigh him or anything.

I probably coulda just grabbed him with my hands instead of pulling him out with the pliers but man, they flare out those gill plates as soon as you bring them up. It's kinda scary, lol. Anyway, I'm questioning all the hours I've spent at my local lake getting skunked, when I could just go down to the ocean and apparently catch fish all day long.

edit: Bonus pic! My phone likes to randomly choose a photo and stylize it. It chose this one, which is where I was fishing today. I started under that building in the distance, caught 2, and worked my way back.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 23, 2018

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Nice man :neckbeard:. A lot of our shore spots are pretty limited for being able to walk, due to a mix of public access and overgrowth. Makes shore fishing a bit of a bummer waiting for fish to happen by instead of working the area.

Three of us went out last night in the rain and the bite had cooled down a lot. We couldn’t manage a three man limit over a four hour stretch in the boat, and we drifted a lot more area too.

I always clean all the fish for the guys, but these smaller ones clean so quick I was done in no time.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
I am traveling to Onancock, VA this next week and I was wondering if anyone has done any fishing in the Chesapeake bay area brackish creeks, or in the lower bay. Would you use a normal inland surf setup, a bucktail, or something like a normal bass setup? I have no idea what to fish for in VA since I am a freshwater fisherman in Texas. I have a 7" surf rod, and 3 ugly sticks that can take the abuse of a very large fish. My surf rod has a 5000 series reel, and my spinning rods have 3000 series reels that are all salt water capable with at least 17+ lbs of drag.

Also, has anyone encountered any issues flying with fishing rods? United seems to have some crazy 2 rod per person rule which will make things interesting. I own a Plano Telescoping airline rod case and it would not take up any more room on their plane... Has anyone just passed one of these through with no questions?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
:siren:Fresh dick lures arrived:dong::siren:

These ones are 50 grams so I'll be able to cast them a fair bit further than the original.

I also took advantage of a pretty ridiculous deal to stock up on a lifetime supply of Zman plastics.

The colours were a surprise but I didn't have too many :wtc: moments going through the box. This was about the strangest colour in there, still have no idea what fish will go for it.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Z-man plastics are great, I caught all 10 of those fish last Friday on the same curl tail grub and it looks fine still.

They even catch mollusks! Caught that bad boy on my lunch break today.

joem83 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 25, 2018

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

So right now I'm sitting on a platform at the Frankfurt train station waiting for my train to Berlin. The dude on the bench next to me has an Abu Garcia travel rod case. I was sitting here wishing that my German wasn't terrible so I could ask him questions. While I was trying to think of vocabulary, he opened the case and pulled out a can of Becks that fit perfectly inside and cracked it. It is 7:34am.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

So right now I'm sitting on a platform at the Frankfurt train station waiting for my train to Berlin. The dude on the bench next to me has an Abu Garcia travel rod case. I was sitting here wishing that my German wasn't terrible so I could ask him questions. While I was trying to think of vocabulary, he opened the case and pulled out a can of Becks that fit perfectly inside and cracked it. It is 7:34am.

Was the entire thing loaded with beer? Also, lol.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I've been traveling for a long time and through a bunch of time zones before and wanted a beer. I think I got a beer at like 5:30am local time in the Tokyo airport once after a 2-stop flight from the US.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

gay picnic defence posted:

:siren:Fresh dick lures arrived:dong::siren:

These ones are 50 grams so I'll be able to cast them a fair bit further than the original.

I also took advantage of a pretty ridiculous deal to stock up on a lifetime supply of Zman plastics.

The colours were a surprise but I didn't have too many :wtc: moments going through the box. This was about the strangest colour in there, still have no idea what fish will go for it.

Where was this deal at? Local shop or online?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Planet X posted:

Where was this deal at? Local shop or online?

An online store called Hooked Online was doing it. They’ve sold out now.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I've seen dick lures on Amazon too, so I guess the dick lure word is out.

joem83 posted:

Was the entire thing loaded with beer? Also, lol.

This I could not confirm, but I really hope so. I was mostly bummed that he didn't offer me one; I would have shotgunned a can of Becks at that point.

Also you need to pass a test for a fishing rod license in Germany and then get like two more permits in order to fish here. :(

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I caught the big one today, boys!! New PB.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I've seen dick lures on Amazon too, so I guess the dick lure word is out.

This I could not confirm, but I really hope so. I was mostly bummed that he didn't offer me one; I would have shotgunned a can of Becks at that point.

Also you need to pass a test for a fishing rod license in Germany and then get like two more permits in order to fish here. :(

I'll be back in town Friday night and crabbing on Sat and Sun then skipping Mon, Tues. Back to crabbing on Wens, Thurs and Friday before flying back to work Sat.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I caught an even smaller fish today, lol. Lipping him was hilarious. No pics of the small one, but I actually caught a "big" one. The bass in the accessible areas of the river are pretty small in my experience. I swear, I can throw that 1/16 oz Sierra Slammers swim bait anywhere and catch fish. Ol faithful.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

I normally fish for Bass around Arizona but last week I went fishing for Trout up in the mountains and drat those guys seem to take a lot more damage from hooks than Bass do. I'll probably go for Trout again this weekend but I think I might avoid treble hooks.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Single hooks, and mash those barbs! Seriously, barbless hooks are much better for all fish, not just trout.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Third day this week I've gone fishing, aka running errands before I get lunch. No babies today, barely any bites, except this one! Caught on a 1/32oz mini jig, 4 lb test, ultra light rod. Was so much fun!

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I tossed the Bass Pro Shop whopper plopper knock off around a few times this afternoon. Good heft and action, had a top water blowup on it too. It seems a lot better made than the other BPS poo poo too. Also it's 8.99 instead of 16.99 for the plopper.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I took a kayak out yesterday morning for the first time in forever, and caught 4 small trout! The first one is the only one I got a picture of, the rest were the same but smaller. I had what had to have been a slot trout on the line but it shook loose right before I could boat flip it. I need to get better at landing fish/buy a net. They were hitting on topwater (super spook jr in the pic, also a large mirrolure mirrodine knockoff with a rattle in it), some clear/white/chartreurse soft plastic mirrolures, and some gulp shrimp. I ran out of shrimp, there were pinfish or puffers around that kept eating them. One trout swallowed my last 1/8th oz jighead and the mirrolure on it, so I had to cut it loose when I let it go. And I had something hit when I cast near shore that pulled like hell and took a lot of line before shaking loose, I'd guess snook based on the couple I've caught in the past, or maybe a jack, though this went on a run instead of circling like jacks seem to do. I wish I had gotten a better hookset!

First time getting fish to hit on topwater, it was as fun as they say it is! Treble hooks but all the barbs are bent down.

Also found this little guy trying to hitch a ride after I had put my kayak back on my car. Excuse the Snapchat stickers

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My local sports store has started carrying zman products, including a decent selection of their chatterbaits. They even have the super pricey jackhammers thay everyone fishing for money seems to use. I picked up a couple of the 3/8 jackhammers, one in green pumpking with white and chartreuse and a black and blue. Now if it would just not be so blistering hot out, I could go throw them.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

:dong::dong::dong::dong::dong::dong::dong::dong::dong:

Got my first fish on a dick lure

Conditions were a bit dangerous for rock fishing so I was fishing halfway up the rocks to keep out of danger. That meant landing fish was a very tricky proposition unless I timed it right and got a wave to wash it onto the rocks in front of me.

Then I got reefed by something large and lost the pink dick lure, so out came a different one, and I got a few more fish.

That third one was nearly 2' long

There is something really funny about a school of fish climbing all over each other to get at a metal dick skimming along the surface. They actually make good topwater lures because the balls make a much bigger splash than your typical baitfish shaped slug. I reckon I hooked and lost about a dozen in addition to the 3 I landed.

Then is was off to the beach to put the fish to use as fresh bait

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 30, 2018

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

It warms my heart to see pictures of fish with the dick in their mouth, nice work man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

gay picnic defence posted:

:dong::dong::dong::dong::dong::dong::dong::dong::dong:

Got my first fish on a dick lure

Conditions were a bit dangerous for rock fishing so I was fishing halfway up the rocks to keep out of danger. That meant landing fish was a very tricky proposition unless I timed it right and got a wave to wash it onto the rocks in front of me.

Then I got reefed by something large and lost the pink dick lure, so out came a different one, and I got a few more fish.

lol :golfclap: